You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : I've never participated in a parkrun, I can't, I work until midday every Saturday. My fastest recent 5K according to Strava is 22-45, which was recorded during a half-marathon. After recovering from the full marathon, which is now only 19 days away, I might run a flat-out 5K just to see what I can do. I reckon I could take a minute or more off the 22-45. In my 20s I ran a 10k in 36-17. Parkrun didn't exist in those days and 5K races were almost never held, but I must have been in sub-18 minute shape.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Some awesome numbers there QQQ. 

If you want to give a 5k a go I'd be very interested to see your time. 

Does anyone else ever do park runs?

Or even run at all for whatever reason?

I have a couple of mates who are getting into it, maybe we can get a 5k leaderboard going :)

----

In other news, my foot hurts.

It's the top part, when I put weight on it, it doesnt feel right.

It's not bad enough to stop me running or anythiong but it's a slight concern. 

I'm having my first session with a local athletics club tonight.

The drill is a 5 mile time trial, where people of all abilities can compete due to the handicap system which staggers the start times according to ability.

It's a little like a horse racing handicap event I believe, where the theory is if every runner runs to their best, we will all hit the finish line together. 

I love the idea, I can't wait to give it a go.

Results tomorrow. 
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary"  In other news, my foot hurts.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Red flag. Monitor closely, stop running for a few days if it worsens, or doesn't go away.

Rapid increases in training volume, or of your running speed, bring with them an enhanced risk of injury. Always build-up mileage slowly and give yourself an easy week about once a month, say 60% of your usual, to prevent injury. Your heart and lungs can get strong much faster than your muscles and tendons unfortunately.

I have a free day on Saturday 12th November. I might use it to make my Parkrun debut. Trouble is I don't get back into Heathrow until the early hours of the Friday morning, and it'll be only 6 days after I've run a full marathon. If I feel up to it I'll go.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,577
    edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Red flag. Monitor closely, stop running for a few days if it worsens, or doesn't go away. Rapid increases in training volume, or of your running speed, bring with them an enhanced risk of injury. Always build-up mileage slowly and give yourself an easy week about once a month, say 60% of your usual, to prevent injury. Your heart and lungs can get strong much faster than your muscles and tendons unfortunately. I have a free day on Saturday 12th November. I might use it to make my Parkrun debut. Trouble is I don't get back into Heathrow until the early hours of the Friday morning, and it'll be only 6 days after I've run a full marathon. If I feel up to it I'll go.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

In my day, the key was
    1. NEVER to increase a weekly/monthly distance (total) by more than 10 %.
    2. NEVER run with an injury.
    3. NEVER run with a cold.

Easy peasy ....
     Also, google "fartlek"  it was an injury saver & a real performance booster for me!

pad 
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Cheers guys, I did the 5 mile time trial on Tuesday, and finished 10th of 46 runners with an actual ime of 42 minutes and a handicap time of 53 minutes. 

It was a fun event, but apparentlty with it being the first 'time trial' of the year, there was alot of guesswork with the handicaps, and next week when we run again they should be more accurate.

I set off in a group of 9, all with similar 5k PBs to me, and I won our mini race by around 45 seconds, so I was happy with that.

Anyway I took yesterday off running to rest the foot, and the legs. I just went swimming and ticked over with a steady 30 lengths. And today I took the day off until 6.30 when I went back to the running club and did a steady 6 mile run at 10 mins per mile.

The foot is still dodgy, but with the half marathon being a week on Sunday I don't see what option I have but to power through.

The only endurance run I've done since the last half marra was a 10 miler about 10 days ago iirc.

I feel like I need to do at least that again, possibly on Monday? After Park Run Saturday?

And days off tomorrow and Sunday. 

Then wind down from Tuesday onwards next week. 

---

I've been feeling really really low this week.

The tiredness issue has beaten me, I've spent alot of time sleeping, or lazing about, everything has seemed like a huge effort, from taking a shower, to cooking a proper meal, to walking the dogs etc.

I don't know if it's just fatigue variance, or it has anything to do with coming off the depression pills, but it's been a really tough week and I have not enjoyed it. 

Just have to keep battling ....
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,260
    edited October 2016
    In Response to xxx:
    Cheers guys, I did the 5 mile time trial on Tuesday, and finished 10th of 46 runners with an actual ime of 42 minutes and a handicap time of 53 minutes.  It was a fun event, but apparentlty with it being the first 'time trial' of the year, there was alot of guesswork with the handicaps, and next week when we run again they should be more accurate. I set off in a group of 9, all with similar 5k PBs to me, and I won our mini race by around 45 seconds, so I was happy with that. Anyway I took yesterday off running to rest the foot, and the legs. I just went swimming and ticked over with a steady 30 lengths. And today I took the day off until 6.30 when I went back to the running club and did a steady 6 mile run at 10 mins per mile. The foot is still dodgy, but with the half marathon being a week on Sunday I don't see what option I have but to power through. The only endurance run I've done since the last half marra was a 10 miler about 10 days ago iirc. I feel like I need to do at least that again, possibly on Monday? After Park Run Saturday? And days off tomorrow and Sunday.  Then wind down from Tuesday onwards next week.  --- I've been feeling really really low this week. The tiredness issue has beaten me, I've spent alot of time sleeping, or lazing about, everything has seemed like a huge effort, from taking a shower, to cooking a proper meal, to walking the dogs etc. I don't know if it's just fatigue variance, or it has anything to do with coming off the depression pills, but it's been a really tough week and I have not enjoyed it.  Just have to keep battling ....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I,m no doctor but it does sound like the effects of coming of these tablets. Have you come off them gradually and did you discuss it with your GP on how to reduce . It should only be temporary and get better with time especially if you keep up the excersise
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: xxx:
    In Response to xxx : I,m no doctor but it does sound like the effects of coming of these tablets. Have you come off them gradually and did you discuss it with your GP on how to reduce . It should only be temporary and get better with time especially if you keep up the excersise
    Posted by MP33
    Hi MP, yea I went back to the doctors 9 days ago and we discussed coming off them. She agreed it was the right time, and she gave me instructions on how to reduce.

So far I've just gone from 40mg pills to 20mg over the last 9 days. I have 5 more days of that before going to 20mg every other day for a week, then 1 week of 20mg every third day.

At that point she wants to see me again to assess what's going on.

I guess it's all trial and error. 

Yesterday was more of the same, I slept 11pm (Thurs) until 9am Fri. 

I woke and had dinner then slept 1.30pm until 5.30pm,

Woke and had tea, then slept 10.30pm until 5.45am. 

Alot of sleep.

It's 1 way to rest the foot I guess :)

---

At least it's the weekend, and park run this morning.

Not exactly itching to get out there but I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I do, and feel good that I've managed to do it in the circumstances.

It'll likely be the end of my PB sequence though :( 

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited October 2016
    I am not a physio but when I used to need one in my youth, he said as a general rule if you have an aching pain you can train/play through it. If you have a stabbing pain. STOP!.

Might be worth getting it checked out at a sports injury clinic if it persists, though alot of time the cure is rest.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

That's re-assuring phantom as it's certainly not a stabbing pain.

I wouldn't even describe it as a pain as such, just a little discomfort. 

It doesn't really matter if I do more damage as after the half marathon I can rest it up as much as I like. 

I have the 10k on the 19th Nov with Mel but I've got to the stage where a 10k is easy peasy, which is kind of mental given where I was. 

----

Park Run News...

We did itttttttttttttttt :)

10 PBs in a row from my first run onwards <3 

I feel more pleased about this achievement than the half marathon one, particuarly with how cr appy I've been feeling this week. 

Another 30 seconds off the PB, making it 1min 37 seconds off in the last fortnight, and 8 minutes 37 seconds off overall, over 25% of my initial time  :) 

I really wanted to get to 10 consecuative PBs, it feels lik a freeroll now as to how far I can go with it :) 

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I can offer no advice on feeling low, having a bad week, etc. But I do know for sure that running is a great way of improving your general happiness and sense of well being. It can also alleviate symptoms of depression and stuff like that too. So I'm pretty sure this week would have been even worse if you weren't a runner.

Congrats for yet another PB. You're already running these 5Ks at my current Half Marathon pace, 7m-50s per mile https://www.strava.com/activities/731858115 . Incredible progress. At this rate you'll be a faster runner than me sometime soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I can offer no advice on feeling low, having a bad week, etc. But I do know for sure that running is a great way of improving your general happiness and sense of well being. It can also alleviate symptoms of depression and stuff like that too. So I'm pretty sure this week would have been even worse if you weren't a runner. Congrats for yet another PB. You're already running these 5Ks at my current Half Marathon pace, 7m-50s per mile https://www.strava.com/activities/731858115 . Incredible progress. At this rate you'll be a faster runner than me sometime soon.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    It actually blows my mind that you can run at that pace for 13 miles.

I was hurting such a long way out today. For anyone to be able to keep that up for over 100 minutes, nevermind someone at the tender age of 50 is really amazing. 

I would say I doubt I'll ever get anywhere near that, but 12 months ago I'd have said the same thing about where I'm at now. 

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Afternoon, it's been a while! (Again)

The month is now #DONE for me poker-wise, so here's the scores on't doors. 

Sky = + £1,472.97   (points =5,177)

Bwin = -£16.30

Overall = +£1,456.67

Belting month, the kind of numbers I used to rack up on a regular basis 5 years ago when I was awful but everyone else was even worse.

---

My 2nd half marathon tomorrow, starts a really exciting 23 days for me. 

I can't wait to run tomorrow, get there nice an early and really enjoy the atmosphere, something I wasn't able to do last time for so many reasons. Ilness, pressure, charity money, car not starting, late to the start, no warm up, no ipod, no confidence that i could run 1 mile without needing the toilet nevermind 13 etc etc etc. 

None of that tomorrow. Me against the course, which is set in Clumber Park, really amazing surroundings :)

On Monday I go up to Scotland for a 7 day holiday, before returning home for 9 days to celebrate my Birthday here, then back to Scotland for another 4 days on the weekend of the 19th to run the Glentress 10k race at night, which I cannot wait for! 

So plenty of good times ahead.

It's been an up and down month off the tables for me, I've had some real low points but I've hung on in there and gotten out the other end just about ok. 

The battle will no doubt go on, on and off the tables, just got to keep grinding away, being defiant throughout the bad times and make the most of the good. 

Hope everyone can finish the month with a flourish, and go into November on a high!

Best of luck y'all :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,260
    edited October 2016
    Gl for tommorow Dohhh - V.Nice profit for the month (Is that predominantly cash tables you,ve been playing?)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Gl for tommorow Dohhh - V.Nice profit for the month (Is that predominantly cash tables you,ve been playing?)
    Posted by MP33
    Cheers mate. 

Yea it's almost all 20/30nl cash on here. 

I play almost exclusively mornings between 6am and Midday due to my tiredness issue, as the day goes on I just get more and more drained. 

So that limits what tournaments I can play. I add in the £5.50 Turbo Bounty Hunters sometimes, but they are only £50 or £100 gtd, I think I've made about £80-100 of my profit on them. 

----

Just scoffing my pre run porridge.

Getting really excited.

Loaded up the Ipod.

Dido (of course), Oasis, Queen, The Beautiful South, Stereophonics and Savage Garden are the musicians charged with the task of keeping me going. 

Cya on't'other side :D 

• Options
    edited October 2016
    You sound very confident this time around. I'm looking forward to hearing about a shiny new Half Marathon PB in your next post.

Running well in poker as well as in the parks and on the streets, happy times :)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

2h, 12 mins and 46 seconds was my official chip time :)

So a new PB by just under 24 minutes! 

Im over the moon with that, loved every minute of it. 

There were lots more hills on this course than the previous one. Including a really steep one right at the start which took me a little by surprise. 

I must've overtakn 30-35 people on the sprint finish in front of all the crowds, it was such a great feeling.

And the best thing is I know I can go faster, because I was flying at the end. 

My fastest 'full mile' was the 13th, a full 30 seconds quicker than any of the other miles. 

Sub 2 hour half marathon in January 2017?? 

Vamos! :) 

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,557
    edited October 2016

Well done mate.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,577
    edited October 2016
    2h, 12 mins and 46 seconds was my official chip time :) So a new PB by just under 24 minutes!  Im over the moon with that, loved every minute of it. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

WELL DONE!!  It gives you quite a "buzz" when you take that much off. 
    Gary said you would soon be beating his times...
    plus..you've got youth on your side.  ;-))
  • Options
    YOUNG_GUNYOUNG_GUN Member Posts: 8,948
    edited October 2016
    LOL first time i been on forum in ages! i see you doing park runs. wtf is the world coming too obviously i didnt read all 80 pages just skipped to last 2 pages. Hola btw hope your good pal
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Good Morning all.

We're back from Scotland, where I had a very enjoyable week away doing nothing and eating and drinking trash. 

Despite running a half marathon on the Sunday, I managed to pile on half a stone.

I expected to let myself go abit but having no cooking facilities in the hotel combined with being a fat greedy gi T meant I just had no option but to eat tonnes and tonnes of horribly fattening stuff. 

My weight as of this morning was 15st 6lbs, down from the 19st 10lbs I was on new years day, but up from my low of 14st 8lbs!

I'm back up Scotland on the 18th to run the 10k race with Mel, and I'm setting a mini goal to weigh in @ 15st or lower on the day I drive up.

I have a birthday 'night out' (a gallon and a game of darts) between now and then but with good diet discipline and a load of moving I hope I can get there.

Really keen to get back playing poker too, I've missed it!!!!

The only problem with the above plan is I feel absolutely shocking. So so so so so tired all the time, I'm back at the doctors this week to discuss my meds as it's been a month since I started reducing my dose. 

It's hard work. Really hard work.

And yes I know my poor diet last week will be contributing but the decline started long before that.

We battle on! :)

Hope everyone is well, good luck in November :) xxxxx
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ohhh, my last post was a "hey im back from Scotland" post? :(

This one is too!

A lovely trip as ever, making lots of new friends up there, peoples sofas/spare rooms are way cheaper than hotels <3

However I had a look around and found a really nice 2 bedroom flat which is available to rent up there. 

The price, the area, the location, everything fits. 

The timing is quite awkward with Christmas though. 

I have a fortnight to decide but I'm leaning towards leaving it until the new year.

I've not had much of a Christmas for the last 6/7 years, so I wouldn't mind being at home with family this time and starting afresh in the new year. 

Who knows. 

----

Anyway the main reason for the post is I'm getting fat.

Fatter.

I need to do something about it.

I'm at around 15.8/15.9. 

Up over a stone from my lowest weigh in of 14.6st. 

It's bad, I need a challenge!!!!

Run 50 miles in a week, beginning tomorrow. 

The plan is to do 3 x 2.5 mile runs per day, but I could mix it up a little depending on how each run is going. Maybe add in park run (although that would certainly be the end of my PB streak), or go to running club.

The grind starts tomorrow morning, updates daily xxxxxxxx