You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Every Don has its day

1272829303133»

Comments

• Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    Ive had to do this over 2 posts because apparently theres a character limit i wasn't aware of haha

After the main i took 5 mins to cool off and knowing that i cant grind tonight, i decided to take a rare am nl10 shot, it gave me time to have a proper shot focusing on only nl10 and getting to know some more regs - one of whom joined me on nl4 this morning so i expect they were on a wee scouting mission - and get a feel for playing higher stakes, when I came back I felt no issues being at this level with a smaller role than im taking this shot, but then I wasn't used to NL4 at that point and was playing purely for fun with profit being a bonus, now im playing again hunting that profit. I wont go into too much detail but it didnt start great - we got 1 outered all in on flop for a £26 pot, we have TPTK + NFD on a paired board against the nut straight for another £25 pot, and then had K high flush against slow played Aces on a A high board for another £20ish pot, alas the 4 spade pinged, the latter is a buy in we can save folding pre. However I was probably still abit miffed at my main exit and should have taken longer to breathe. But we stuck with it, we got brutally lucky in a £40 pot, say lucky, we were never behind post flop but essentially wasnt a good table but with 4 running and money to be made super deep against the one rec i decided to stick with it, we overlimped from sb with 63dd and called the raise from the reg with the rec also calling giving us a fair price, while 200+bb deep effective with the rec. The flop lands 236r, we x reg x and rec pots, we flat, turn is a 7 he pots again and again we flat and the river pings us a 6 for second nuts, hes missed his gutshot and emptied the clip - fair play to him for doing so but we obv snap and scoop a huge pot. This pot seen us finish this session a buy in up.

Today i went to play some nl10 again take another shot, but decided I didn't think good table selection would allow me to stay on those tables. So knowing it was my one session today i dropped to Nl4 where one of the regs from the nl10 session last night joined us for abit. We finished this session £33 up, and i feel we played really well, however theres 2 buys ins we lost in hindsight i dont need to lose for even more profit, One we had Jh on a 4 heart board and the villian is the only villian on the table I think is ever bluffing here, they werent bluffing. And the other was JJ on a 8 high flop in a 3b pot, same table diff villian but same seat, in hindsight they had the perfect hand for us to get it in against but I think thats the only worse hand we see and it had alot of equity (AK FD) with benefits of notes I can probably fold instead of taking the jam.

Overall for the month we're now well up despite that poor first week, I feel I'm playing some of the best poker I ever had, and I'm glad to spot a mental game leak when deep in mtts on a chipped up table compared to average. This is something I can go away and work on. I'll be taking more Nl10 shots down the line while also making sure im table selecting. Im hoping the points earned today are enough to put me back in league one leaderboard selection - frustratingly i moved up and i havent hit the same points target i did first weeek before i moved up - im unsure why altho nl10 should help with this because we'll pay more money per pot in rake which means more points.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Small update?

Great Post though Don, great effort in the Main last night and a vul exit hand!
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Small update?

Great Post though Don, great effort in the Main last night and a vul exit hand!

it was supposed to be small, but i just started typing, then there was a character count, then i had to split it over two. and it was no longer small haha
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

Well done @The_Don90
  • Options
    Small update - staying in one post this time :)

My Fm draft comp went well in alot of aspects. I knew this level would be a step up from what I'm used to, my invite mostly came from the fact that I routinely practice with someone who's very often at the deepend of the competitive Football Manager competitions, and while this was a qualifying tournament with ranking points, i knew this wasn't going to be easy. I went in knowing the tactics I use aren't great against some of the broken features in the game, which aren't really ideal in a competitive environment. I drafted well for my tactic however and ended up with a really strong team, my first round draw was against the pre-tournament favorite and one of the few players in the competition with competitive drafting experience - more on that they've won qualifying competitions just like this in the past. A 2-2 away draw made me fav going into the second leg with away goals in play before winning the second leg 3-2. A strong result against a player I was honeslty not expecting to beat and who was everyones tournament fav put me a little on the map. Things from here didn't go so great in the second round my opponent wasn't well and left, the host took over, and I was given a freebie in to the second round. He ran his tactics to test for the next day in the first leg and it was clear my tactics as suspected would not cope against that style. I didnt change anything because getting a bye so why would I - and the second leg was rigged so I'd win easily and go into the semis. My opponent for that semi was a lad called Coin Bird, lovely american fellow who knew a thing or two about tacitcs, more so the exact kind of tactic that crushes me was his style, a poor start seen us 5-0 down inside 25 mins while im frantically trying to change things, eventually we stopped leaking, has 2 goals disallowed which could have been important away goals but 8-0 was one of the biggest lessons ive had in fm. In the second leg I ripped up my tactic, listened to my chat which included my friend whos won these before giving me some good advice, and we won the second leg 4-1 I believe that was Coin Birds only loss of that entire competition so I can hold my head high and say I gave it everything I had, Coin went onto win the competition and finished 5th/16 in the main comp on Sunday, my friend came 2nd losing the last game (league format for the main comp) to end up not winning. Overall for my first competitve competition Im hurt by the 8-0 but generally happy, and I learnt more doing that than any practice ive done has taught me. And most importantly I learnt that sometimes adjusting just like in poker is the right thing to do. To quote marc warburton "plan b is to do plan a better" is not always the right approach and thats something ive always tried to tweek is improving plan a. Plan A was never going to work v certain tactics.

Poker wise, I said some Nl10 shots incoming, that hasn't really happened every time ive went and looked at the tables theres red tags all over the shop. Moving up table selection is extremely important. Now of course theres 1/2 recs there, but I still think theres better times to try, I don't need to be making myself a mark when I'm taking my shots. So its been mostly Nl4 and till yesterday it was going great, I was out friday so no friday night session, i took sat off to recover and prep for fm tournament so back yest. I will be honest I was overdue a losing day, yesterday sucked. I dont think ive ever had many -10 buy in session days lifetime at nl4. Now granted the first session I played like i had no confidence - and realistically I knew that and was trying to play through my own mental barrier - im linking this to that 8-0 defeat because this was not the poker i was playing on friday afternoon and before. Knowing that I wasn't trusting my reads, my gut etc, running abit meh but standard, The hour and 15 mins was too long to be on the tables, and what it took for me to stand was shipping in QQ for £9 effective on a J83 flop into a solid reg - why I did that I don't know. Is that solid reg ever calling AJ here, maybe once in a month of Sundays if im lucky, this Sunday wasn't that once, she snapped off with the stone cold nut-a-roonies. Thats 2 and a bit buy ins that I only ever lose when im on my D game - at that point I hit stand stood on all my tables and said gg to the nice people talking in some of the chats. Went had a bath calmed myself down and came back later on.

The later on session I played better, I didn't run great either and this seen me lose the rest of the 10 buy ins that made the -10 buy in day. However that said Im glad I went back and reminded myself of the correct decisions in different spots. I ended up having an AM session too before tables died and regs from the higher levels dropped down chasing points meaning the nl4 tables last night were just not worth playing on, that session is also included in the -10 day but i think itself was only wortth 1 buy in of that and tbh I'm content with that session. I couldn't sleep so jumped over to my other roll on stars where i ended the rut finishing 1 buy in up on nl2 before getting some steady sleep.

NL10 shots will still come, but on my terms.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited August 2021
    Frikkin **** Don . Thought you,d started a new thread .

Took me 2 pages to realise i was reading stuff from 8 years ago.

Caught up tho and interesting read.

GL and keep enjoying it - Thats the main thing

EDIT - Why is he ll a banned word?
  • Options
    Update

Well this week is fun. The Nl10 shots just aren't happening. Everytime ive looked they've been reggy so decided against. So stuck with the Nl4 - tried a couple of main sats and well neither gone well - combined pots won at showdown is 2 over the two attempts, both AIP and ive peaked at 3k in chips over the 2 attempts, today i successfully folded to 13th with 9 seats and £13 for 10th but alas had to shove the KQs UTG with 3.5bb left and ran into a very eager AK. Didnt get there. Such is pokers.

Tournaments on the other site havent gone great either, similar story to the sats here. And well Cash has been puke to say the least - i record every session so going to spend some time looking back, but i feel its just cooler after cooler atm, but i think its important to look back just incase it isnt.

Sunday was a -10 buy in day, monday another sort of break even day as was tuesday - wednesday was puke then good, i was 6 buy ins down for the middle session, 1 up for first session but then 5 buy ins up when i calmed recomposed and had another session fir a break even day.

Today was another -10 buy in day, 10 buy in loss in around 2 hours just doesnt feel possible. Apparenelt it is.

General life is abit all over the shop aswell, i was out on friday as previously mentioned. I seen someone in a different group to the one i was in, and alas im now in isolation. I hadnt seen the person whos a family member for 2 years and their group sadly got hit hard. Their okay, and im negative but my second jag was 11 days before contact so rules be rules i gotta isolate. Last week was my week of with the kids which will mean nearly 18 days between having the kids and seeing them, which to be honest im not liking. I like a break as much as the next parent. But truthfully i love my kids, and i just want to give them a hug. Leia taking it rather hard shes refusing to even talk to me on the phone aswell :( She doesnt understand why someone else being sick means she cant see daddy and bless her soul shes just angry and the best way to deal with that is to not talk to daddy.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Update

Poker is well fun isn't it. I split my roll over unibet and sky and off i went with plan of September being Nl10 only. unibet went err mixed. Anyways Things changed and I was offered a backing deal, im happy for the backer to make themselves known if they wish but I wont name. But hes a good lad and someone i trully respect.

The backing was simple, go play with targets in mind for different things and some coaching. The coaching is really just reviewing some hands, giving feedback what i did good, what i did bad, but mostly is about looking after my mindset after so many failed NL10 shots. Making sure I'm making the right decisions and not letting the level effect me. Something which playing on unibet allowed me to highlight and some study sessions with friends spotted aswell. I wasn't always making a clean decision and I couldn't always explain why - on unibet you can change to BB instead of money size, and my decisions were being clean again. So far this has been successful we're up a little and added some mtts into the grind. The deal is for sky only however thus if i play elsewhere its upto me to manage this.

On that note, I've been really enjoying the mtts being added back - this year we're down a little for mtts but with sample size thats not a huge suprise i think we've had 3/4 cashes. Made up of 1/2 min cashes and a win and a second. Justneed to convert those min cashes to final tables, and those nearly moments to cashes as we're laughing again. Im very content with how im playing atm and working on modernizing my game, poker really seems to have came a long way since I took a break.

However since I've been enjoying mtts I want to play some more, so i put together a mini package for 2 wcoops on sunday, posted up in 2 places and sold out within 30 seconds of posting in the second. crazyness. Hope i can reward those buying with a run.

Overall we're improving, and I purely focusing on did i make the right decision in this hand right now. Result is irrelevant. Remembering not to worry about what I can't control - something I was doing very well at nl4 since return not so much at NL10.

Onwards and upwords from here.
  • Options
    Small little update

This is more of a mindset update - It feels odd to post this but I love having the mtts in my schedule. Historically mtts have always been a good little worker for me, I'd personally say it was my strongest game, even more so when we look at the bounty hunters we have on sky.

But right now, Nl10 is offsetting my mtt bricks. Since returning ive played around 100 mtts over all the sites, 70 on sky (according to scope) and a bunch on stars. Mtt wise we're down over £80 - fwiw the only mtt ive won in that 100 was worth £80 so i need to win that with the same amount of head prizes again just to break even. Crazy. We're running about break even, small loss or small wins every day with the cash supplimenting this mtt downswing which isnt a bad thing, it also shows the stuff im adjusting for the cash games is working. And most of that has been mindset related, and stopping and thinking. Focus is very much on making the right decisions in this one specific hand.

Mtts im taking the same approach - make the right decision in this hand, and this is where alot of my personal study atm is going. Cash when reviewed was small adjustments things i can make which adjust our win rate. Mtts id always back my late game, being a sat grinder back in the day because i wanted to play SPTs and UKIPTs meant i had to win 2/3 sats a day to break even while funding my desire to play in these bigger events. Which id then sell for to cover the cost of hotel and travel. The strats we learn in sats applies elsewhere to a different extent - i'd say as a result of being a sat grinder along side my mtt grinds i was ahead of the curve when it came to learning icm because for the sat grinders that was far more important and less time is spent deep in tournaments so historically thats where the least amount of study went - returning i fully believe this not to be the case now. And theres a reason why when you load Tikays results thread youll see the same names day in and day out - this of course used to be the case but i think its even more consistent now - that could be me though.

My weakness from mtts - came in the early game. So thats where ive put my focus, if my grind is going to have mtts along side or fully on certain days i need to plug that gap. If we can improve in the early stages then we can make more deeper runs where I feel my edge is at its biggest. Altho shallow stacks it's still not that big. Full disclousure my studying and lack of results recently arent related, for 1 i only started to impliment parts of strategies that are completely unexploitable yesterday into my game, which ironically yielded my highest head count in a night for about a week, but still no cashes, and well theres the varience in play. Like if we look at sunday i had many mtts in the stars packages i sold i was in for a good 5 hours plus and didn't even get a min cash - altho very unlucky in the storm a bad couple of levels seen us fold at a much higher rate than we should before a BBY crippled us, and then we shoved into kings, standard. But looking at the majority of my mtts thats whats been happening. Go card dead for abit, lose a flip/spot where opponent shoved marginal and we wake up with it behind/shove into it, and lose. This is of course the nature of tournament poker.

However im focusing on the positives, last night we showed improved mtt results, often making a set of decisions i wouldnt have 2 days ago but implimenting something ive been studying to add extra layers, and cash has been going well, we're bricking that many mtts and roll is holding. And despite my poor mtt record this year, If we're playing well the results will come.