You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Every Don has its day

Comments

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited October 2015

On the positives, you do realise that if you never play more than 1 hour a day, it is impossible to make 10 hours a week? 

:D

On another positive, I hope you are going to post pics of your halloween costume :D
  • The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited November 2015
    Update

So far this is being a mega fail. Lost a further quid yesterday, punted on a 16/1 shot on next scorer in rangers game, literally 2 mins later hibs scored an og. Still think it was a plus ev bet with hibs sitting in as they where our most likely scorer imo.

yesterday was a bad day all round. Woke up with a major hangover. The we lost at footie, thought we where the better team and a clear penalty not given early on also effected the game. We just couldn't break them down 3 defensive errors got punnished for 2 of them, and hit the post and a sensational header by Darren McGregor - quiet how we let him just leave his contract and move down the M8 for free ill never know. 

After that i started on some basic homework while one tabling a token i had on unibet. Homework was very routine and simple would never have done this on any homework that required any major thinking, expessially when hungover. Homework was done quickly, as for the poker i dont think ive ever seen a run like it. My Token was a 1 buy in go at nl4. Previous token i had i spun upto around €60 before the 500 flops triggered placing the money into my account as real money. This time was horrific. I reckon i was dealt to <50 hands, i dont know for sure bt wasnt many. Anyways in that time i had AA, KK, KK, AK and AQ won with exactly 0 of them. When you consider that its pretty spectacular i made the single buy in last as long. Happy with how i played. Although i did over play the AK hand still got it in a huge fav on a random rainbow board v A3. 

Weeman was having a day of being a grump and not listening adding to the frustration. Of course thats part of having children but still annoying. That said im sure mel would say like father like son.

Then to top it off, Hamilton finnished second. :(

Meh day. 
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day - New goals, in poker and life:
    Update So far this is being a mega fail.  
    Posted by The_Don90
    Have you identified the reasons why?

And then worked what you're going to do about it?

As far as I know, results have been good. 

So the 'fail' must be volume (effort?) 

Which is nothing new. 

GL turning it round. 
    edited November 2015
    New month

So slept in and missed bus today meaning I missed college. Not a great start. Decided to get on with homework to make up for the lost time. That went pretty well most of it done. 

Stopped for a break decided to have a little grind. Downswing is in full force and i scored my 4th losing session in last 5 played. Ran awful again. wont go into detail. Ended up tilt quitting and writing this up so keeping it short.

50 mins played
    -£6.01
    Current Bankroll: £213.62
    Total Profit: £13.62
    Withdrawn: £0.00
    edited November 2015

FYI, Andy can't post (sigh) but he has worked out you are winning at around 6.5xbb/100 over around 6,000 hands. 

Very nice going, but meaningless sample thus far.

Good work, keep it up.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited November 2015
    Don,

You have played this game for quite a few years so your post kind of surprises me but I know you so it doesn't. You have played very small sessions in terms of time and have lost 4/5 sessions. Since you started the challenge you are in profit so mention of downswing seems rather dramatic. I appreciate you have other commitments which will reduce your potential hours so you need to get realistic expectations about results. Basically, chillax and man up and get grinding and the results will come.
    edited November 2015
    downswing continues

Don't really care what you say tbh, no way you can argue this is a downswing. in good more often than an adult film worker and losing constant. That continued this session. Again i tilt quit. 

Session started well this time, was 2 buy ins up pretty quick -   a 76p river call i made thinking i was first to act and checking, was one of the most routine folds you'll ever get. Things started to go down hill though, set v TP set up turn shove he backs into a flush, Kings v 89 set up river jam he rivers trips. 74 in the BB check 742r flop, pot 5 way at nl4 standard, one of the limpers shoves 110BB with AA, runout 6 6. last hand was a cooler, Open kj flop K79 bet 2 callers, turn T bet again 2 callers river k. One of them has 68. 

Literally just running aids, now since i started this challenge if you include the unibet €4 token lost Im a losing player. So for matt ty for that comment :)

Also since middle of September im now down 3 figures. 

1hr 5miins played
    -£11.08
    Current Bankroll: £202.54
    Total Profit: £2.54
    edited November 2015
    downswing continues Don't really care what you say tbh, no way you can argue this is a downswing. in good more often than an adult film worker and losing constant. That continued this session. Again i tilt quit.  Session started well this time, was 2 buy ins up pretty quick -   a 76p river call i made thinking i was first to act and checking, was one of the most routine folds you'll ever get. Things started to go down hill though, set v TP set up turn shove he backs into a flush, Kings v 89 set up river jam he rivers trips. 74 in the BB check 742r flop, pot 5 way at nl4 standard, one of the limpers shoves 110BB with AA, runout 6 6. last hand was a cooler, Open kj flop K79 bet 2 callers, turn T bet again 2 callers river k. One of them has 68.  Literally just running aids, now since i started this challenge if you include the unibet €4 token lost Im a losing player. So for matt ty for that comment :) Also since middle of September im now down 3 figures.  1hr 5miins played -£11.08 Current Bankroll: £202.54 Total Profit: £2.54 Withdrawn: £0.00
    Posted by The_Don90
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day - New goals, in poker and life :
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    -€4 to that 
  • craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited November 2015
    Don, you might think your on a down swing when really your not, what's happening is your mind is becoming over loaded with things happening in your daily life and because poker itself will have lots of varience you'll continue to blame that because your mind is generally not thinking clearly in the first place.

What you need to do is fit all the thing's you've got going into a more routine structure.
    edited November 2015
    Don, you might think your on a down swing when really your not, what's happening is your mind is becoming over loaded with things happening in your daily life and because poker itself will have lots of varience you'll continue to blame that because your mind is generally not thinking clearly in the first place. What you need to do is fit all the thing's you've got going into a more routine structure.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Origionally attempted to reply on my mobile, but apparenly once u fill out the box it extends and everything below including the post button disappears. 

Decided to wait a little before replying to this. Mostly so you know this isn't just emotion talking. To further that point i also decided to do some research to either back up my point or others points. So the key search i used here and you can do this too. "define downswing poker" I got two hits that offered a direct definitation without just being ways to deal with a downswing, there might be more but im lazy and page two was a click away. 

Site 1: "A Downswing is a phase or period of time in which a player sustains extended losses due to bad luck. Downswings are natural occurrences that belong to a game of chance, just like their counterpart upswing, where one makes extended gains. Any game with an element of chance has a certain amount of variance since the behaviour of the cards is randomised for short periods of time and will deviate from the normal distribution. In the long term, however, the behaviour will settle down even if a downswing can last for more than ten thousand hands. Secondry factors can also enter play, like tilt or the influence of frustration on play."

Site 2: "A streak of negative variance in which you run below expectation. Can be described in terms of overall equity or just money earned. A downswing can be frustrating but is a part of the game that cannot be avoided. Everyone eventually goes through downswings."

So by both these definitions I'm currently on a downswing. Since this challenge started im closing in on ten thousand hands, even before that since the 27th of September which is a date i noticed when I looked on my results excel sheet is when the downswing started offers a further 10-15k hands. Im not saying ive played perfect poker im extremely critical of mistakes i make and admit to them because this is how i improve. And i respect points raised, but i dont see how their really relevant in the instance of getting coolered or outdrawn constantly - which by its very nature shows signs of a downswing as shown above. 
    edited November 2015
    Search lol sample size next mate
  • percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November 2015
    this is ridic. throughout your entire poker career you will be on either a downswing or an upswing, both are effectively useless without huge samples. Some people have what I like to call "legitimate downswings" which is where they are on a downswing for hundreds of thousands of hands, potentially millions, which could equate to an entire year. But complaining of a downswing after 6,000 hands IS ridiculous - maybe someone can share the variance graph I sent on skype earlier which shows the different outcomes over 20,000 hands when hero is a pretty significant winner. Also, you're in profit - this means you do have to acknowledge that you were on a BIGGER upswing before you started this downswing, and I don't see many of your posts thanking the poker gods for that upswing. Like I said, it takes hundreds of thousands of hands for variance to kind of stablise, and even then it's still not close to perfect, in fact it never will be absolutely perfect

So while people may be wrong that you're not on a downswing, this is an extremely tiny downswing and luckily for you, you had a bigger upswing before it started. "downswing is in full force" - you've played an amount of hands that some people would play in a day and still wouldn't complain about worse results. I'm not saying this to make you feel worse, I'm writing it to tell you how unjustified your words are to hopefully put you in a better mindset (WHICH IS VITAL) before playing poker. 
  • pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited November 2015
    this is ridic. throughout your entire poker career you will be on either a downswing or an upswing, both are effectively useless without huge samples. Some people have what I like to call "legitimate downswings" which is where they are on a downswing for hundreds of thousands of hands, potentially millions, which could equate to an entire year. But complaining of a downswing after 6,000 hands IS ridiculous - maybe someone can share the variance graph I sent on skype earlier which shows the different outcomes over 20,000 hands when hero is a pretty significant winner. Also, you're in profit - this means you do have to acknowledge that you were on a BIGGER upswing before you started this downswing, and I don't see many of your posts thanking the poker gods for that upswing. Like I said, it takes hundreds of thousands of hands for variance to kind of stablise, and even then it's still not close to perfect, in fact it never will be absolutely perfect So while people may be wrong that you're not on a downswing, this is an extremely tiny downswing and luckily for you, you had a bigger upswing before it started. "downswing is in full force" - you've played an amount of hands that some people would play in a day and still wouldn't complain about worse results. I'm not saying this to make you feel worse, I'm writing it to tell you how unjustified your words are to hopefully put you in a better mindset (WHICH IS VITAL) before playing poker. 
    Posted by percival09

+1 to this, very well put if you don't mind me saying.
    edited November 2015
    different outcomes over 20,000 hands when villain is 6bb winner.....there may have been a couple of amends for banter purposes.

http://imgur.com/N1A0LxV
    edited November 2015
    this is ridic. throughout your entire poker career you will be on either a downswing or an upswing, both are effectively useless without huge samples. Some people have what I like to call "legitimate downswings" which is where they are on a downswing for hundreds of thousands of hands, potentially millions, which could equate to an entire year. But complaining of a downswing after 6,000 hands IS ridiculous - maybe someone can share the variance graph I sent on skype earlier which shows the different outcomes over 20,000 hands when hero is a pretty significant winner. Also, you're in profit - this means you do have to acknowledge that you were on a BIGGER upswing before you started this downswing, and I don't see many of your posts thanking the poker gods for that upswing. Like I said, it takes hundreds of thousands of hands for variance to kind of stablise, and even then it's still not close to perfect, in fact it never will be absolutely perfect So while people may be wrong that you're not on a downswing, this is an extremely tiny downswing and luckily for you, you had a bigger upswing before it started. "downswing is in full force" - you've played an amount of hands that some people would play in a day and still wouldn't complain about worse results. I'm not saying this to make you feel worse, I'm writing it to tell you how unjustified your words are to hopefully put you in a better mindset (WHICH IS VITAL) before playing poker. 
    Posted by percival09

This is fair and balanced. I think jj sent me the picture the other day with a mock line added, being honest was a massive cluster**** i didn't understand with a tonne of lines. 

Over the past year at nl4 I've varied winrate of between 8bb/100 - 24bb/100. Obviously the top end of that i was running pretty good, and the lower end i felt ive ran meh that might be unjust though. I havent calculated exactly but around just now I'm currently at around 0.5bb/100. Its not just since this challenge i refer but the period of time from 27th September, altough that seems to be irrelevant in this date. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today i went to college had english, doing close reading at the moment and tbh its the hardest thing I've done since returning to education. Finding the rest of the classes pretty routine now I'm learning the big words for stuff like psycology etc. UCAS form is almost completed now aswell, just got my personal statement to put up and get current education class codes. With still 2 and a half months before submission date this puts me on good schedule to get the personal statement right, as im aware its the most important part of the application. Course that I'm applying for is Politics, and will be applying to Edinburgh as prefered, with Dundee and Stirling being a back up and a comprimse i agreed with Mel, although for this to work I will require to be driving before then if i got for the latter two. Travel to Stirling is potentially possible but Dundee isn;t really reaslistic via pubic transport. 

I havent played cards at all today, mostly chilled with the family, watched PMQs which i downloaded from iplayer, and watching a rerun from bbc parliment on the scottish parliament debate on trident. Something im 100% against and should people wish I'll happily go into more detail on my opinion here but for now im not sure how politically interested readers are. 

Im hoping to play at least some poker for tomorrow, however on Friday i have a tutorial on functionalism and a debate on the EU with the idea of learning more about the upcomming referendum. I put this off till tomorrow so my points going into both the tutorial and the debate are reasonably fresh, and also i was off last Friday, due to mel being admitted to hospital late thursay night, turns out it was nothing serious and shes better now, so didn't get the sheets on functionalism until today when a classmate was able to loan me to get a photocopy. The EU ref is one subject i know very little on, and i believe most of my class is pro EU so im going to focus looking mostly at negatives so that i can keep the debate interesting, and also using time in class to learn about the pros. Should this take a reasonable amount of time I will grind, hopefully it will be fine considering i now have Thursdays off having passed the computing element of the course, with flying colours, which was my only Thursday class. 

Overall i think I'm currently in a pretty good place. 
    edited November 2015
    Update

So Thursday grind didn't happen ended up grinding FM won the league by 28 points followed by one of the most challenging transfer windows I've ever had to deal with on an FM game. Mostly caused by having alot of release clauses demanded by players, reputation increasing so these release clauses where previously well above sale value where now below, and the board giving me a 100% increase to wage budget unsettling players. Just couldn't put it down till i sorted everything. Lost several key players in the process though. 

Watched Question time last night, 2 time EPT winner Victoria Corren-Mitchell was on, played an absoluete blinder, huge respect for everything she spoke of.

Had another driving lesson this morning, went miles better than last weeks. Was back on te roundabouts but went better, much more relaxed, then drove home for the first time. Expected that to be a few lessons away as roads where i live aren't the best. 

Have some psycology homework to do for later, if i get that done may have a grind. 
    edited November 2015
    Guess Who's back

Life update, passed another assessment, also may not have to do maths as it turns out its equal to a qualification i already have in maths so would be no gain. awaiting confirmation on that but if thats the case would save me a full 90 mins per week which could be invested in the weeman, study or chill time. 

i got the new FM. Decided to start unemployed something I haven't done without having some sort of history in a long time. awful first season got appointed at East Stirling before moving to local club Berwick Rangers between them i won a combined 8 games first season. That said i met requirements set by both boards. Second season in January currently winning the league with Berwick. 

Driving, another lesson today and the strongest sign of progress so far the instructor gave me the car earlier than normal, and not only that took me to a different area to learn different techniques. Some mild issues on the pulling out from behind a car but positive reply to other stuff like road positioning (previously a mild issue) and hill starts which was another new thing today. 

Onto poker, tbh i didn't even want to think about poker for a while, today was the first day i've really felt upto a session. 1 hour played, started off where we finnished last time however it stablized out and results started keeping in. Positive session overall although was autopiloting after just 50 mins as a result ended session after an hour. 

1hr played
    +4.01
    Current Bankroll: £206.55
    Total Profit: £6.55
    edited November 2015
    Small session good profit

Yesterday had another lesson, considering icy conditions went extremely well, moving onto a new thing again nest week. Positive steps also starting to revise to have my theory again. 

Railed dad today in his FT of the UKIPT he bust in 6th running into aces for his last few bigs, still a good score though. Really want to get back onto that circuit long term. 

Anyways onto the juicy stuff, the pokers. Played a session, mixed bag really ran insane in some spots, and sick in others, never been flush over flushed so often. Anyways still played well on the most part couple of meh could do better there stuff from time to time. 

1hr played
    +7.41
    Current Bankroll: £213.96
    Total Profit: £13.96
    edited November 2015
    A day off

Had college off today, had a meeting with the CAB over some issues so college authorized me whole day off, turns out one of the classes got cancelled due to tutor illness aswell so slightly less behind too so a posisitve in a negative although hope tutor better soon. 

CAB appointment went about as well as it could have second nut result pending specific bodies complying to said advice. Gotta wait on some processing for clarification. 

So woke up did my homework and got on the grind, session early went well lasted about 55mins, not many tables running so was capped at 6 tables for that session. Was slow and meh but did break a small profit. 

Played a second session after returning home, 1 hr 45 mins to add to the 55 mins already played so 2 hours 50 mins total. Second session was steady nothing major really going on, was doing really well though tables where kind enough to pay off when i had it. Until as i was finnishing the very last hand i played was Kings into Aces can't remember the last time i was on the right end of that situation, by the time he 5b his 5b sizing was like he has aces, should have saved the £3 and folded there but like who folds KK 100bb deep, and i certainly wasnt good enough.

2hrs 40mins played
    +11.88
    Current Bankroll: £225.84
    Total Profit: £25.84