You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can Duesenberg cut it as an MTT reg? Let's find out...

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,038
    Nice result mate
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Essexphil said:

MynaFrett said:

Would be curious to get some opinions on pre flop shoving ranges in bounty hunters compared to regular MTT's.

So, we're playing a Sky BH, it folds round to us on the button and we have a 10bb stack with an average sized bounty on our head. Both the SB and BB are unknown players to us and each have 40bb stack. We're a long way from the bubble and we will be either shoving or folding in this spot.

Compared to our strategy in a non-bounty event, which of the following would you consider the best/correct approach?

A. We need to shove with a stronger, tighter range than a regular MTT as our opponents will be calling wider due to the added bounty equity.

B. Because we expect out opponents to be calling wider, we can in turn shove with a wider range.

C. We generally want to use the same shoving range as we would in a regular MTT. As we expect our opponents to be calling wider, our range as a whole will have more equity when we are called.

D. Other - please elaborate!

This got no love from the good regulars then(?) :/ It's a shame. I feel like people don't mind discussing some hands in isolation but seem less inclined to talk about their general approach to the game type or their strategy in spots like this one in particular (or similar).
    D. The opposite to our table image. So-if perceived as tight, shove wide. If seen as LAGgy, then tighter range...
    I think table image is very underrated by players. I think hand strength should also be looked at in conjunction with our general image and how recently active we have been. If we have shoved say 3 times in the last orbit our chances of being called are higher so we should shove a bit tighter. Just like if we have been tighter than cpfc holds onto his wallet when its time to get a round in we can shove a bit lighter as should gain a bit of respect.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Essexphil said:

MynaFrett said:

Would be curious to get some opinions on pre flop shoving ranges in bounty hunters compared to regular MTT's.

So, we're playing a Sky BH, it folds round to us on the button and we have a 10bb stack with an average sized bounty on our head. Both the SB and BB are unknown players to us and each have 40bb stack. We're a long way from the bubble and we will be either shoving or folding in this spot.

Compared to our strategy in a non-bounty event, which of the following would you consider the best/correct approach?

A. We need to shove with a stronger, tighter range than a regular MTT as our opponents will be calling wider due to the added bounty equity.

B. Because we expect out opponents to be calling wider, we can in turn shove with a wider range.

C. We generally want to use the same shoving range as we would in a regular MTT. As we expect our opponents to be calling wider, our range as a whole will have more equity when we are called.

This got no love from the good regulars then(?) :/ It's a shame. I feel like people don't mind discussing some hands in isolation but seem less inclined to talk about their general approach to the game type or their strategy in spots like this one in particular (or similar).
    D. The opposite to our table image. So-if perceived as tight, shove wide. If seen as LAGgy, then tighter range...
    I think table image is very underrated by players. I think hand strength should also be looked at in conjunction with our general image and how recently active we have been. If we have shoved say 3 times in the last orbit our chances of being called are higher so we should shove a bit tighter. Just like if we have been tighter than cpfc holds onto his wallet when its time to get a round in we can shove a bit lighter as should gain a bit of respect.
    Can we not just use the push/fold charts for 10bb on button and be profitable though, or is it not as simple as that?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,352
    waller02 said:

MattBates said:

Essexphil said:

MynaFrett said:

Can we not just use the push/fold charts for 10bb on button and be profitable though, or is it not as simple as that?
    It is not as simple as that.

Push/fold charts are a really important starting point. But poker is a game of incomplete information. Quite apart from the fact that it only gives push or fold as the options (and there are many occasions when neither is the best option), it is missing 2 important pieces of information, namely:-

1. Whether the other player plays correctly (so people who fold too often or call too wide than "optimal" skew the figures); and
    2. Whether the other player knows you know the push/fold charts (because people who do not shove considerably less)

If you have those pieces of information, should soon be able to modify standard push/fold from the default setting according to individual players
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,742

Nice start! I demand graphs though

Thanks!

In case any pedantic sorts are reading this and wondering why my profit figure differs slightly from Sharkscope, for those unaware, Sharky is unable to accurately track rebuys. Instead, it takes the average buy-in across the field.

Here's a fun graph for you then - just a casual $20m downswing :o

Brownie points for anyone who can name which famous poker pro this belongs to...

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,519
    Patrik Antonius?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,352
    Think it was Gus Hansen
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,334
    -$13.18 per hand, it would actually have been cheaper for him to burn money!

Is it Donald Trump's graph from when he was a successful poker professional?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,443
    Viktor Blom (Isildur) or Tom Dwan (durr)
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,443
    TBH having sat in an mtt with you you can absolutely do this.
  • Options
    Yeah I was thinking Tom Dwan
  • Options
    GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 384
    I noticed you was down to the last 4 just before I went to bed so I opened up the table just in time to see you shove TT into AA.... I'll stay away next time I notice you at a final table ;)

Well played though.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,519
    GREGSTER said:

I noticed you was down to the last 4 just before I went to bed so I opened up the table just in time to see you shove TT into AA.... I'll stay away next time I notice you at a final table ;)

Well played though.

I saw this too after Myna alerted.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Day 4.

Absolutely brutal day at the tables. I certainly didn't play my best but I really did run appallingly too. The day started with me being dumped out of the 17:30 BH when AA couldn't hold vs the mighty 53 and finished in the Midnight Express when AA was no match for the even mightier 32. Almost everything else in between was just as ugly. I did win £1 with a min cash in the rewards freeroll though!

I usually try to find something positive to take from each session and, despite having possibly my toughest ever MTT session from a bad beats perspective, I think I still can. Whilst unpleasant, tonight probably best sums up the whole reason for this challenge. Previously, an MTT session like this would have me leave all this tourney nonsense alone for a couple of weeks and lick my wounds over some well selected cash games instead. Whether or not I actually want to become an MTT reg remains to be seen but, if I were to, dealing with this kind of adversity is all part of the package. If the challenge was just one big heater then I wouldn't really have learned much about myself along the way.

MTT's played: 75
    MTT's won: 0
    Profit/Loss: +£130.03
  • Options
    The winner of the brownie points was... @Essexphil - that was Gus Hansen's cash game results on Full Tilt Poker.

I'm not really sure Phil needs any more brownies though ;)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Did I win the prize for busting you more than anyone else? Think I got you in 2 MTTs
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Did I win the prize for busting you more than anyone else? Think I got you in 2 MTTs

I think I wish you were going to Vegas even more than you do!

And yes, it was just the 2 I believe and no one topped that.
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724

Day 4.

Absolutely brutal day at the tables. I certainly didn't play my best but I really did run appallingly too. The day started with me being dumped out of the 17:30 BH when AA couldn't hold vs the mighty 53 and finished in the Midnight Express when AA was no match for the even mightier 32. Almost everything else in between was just as ugly. I did win £1 with a min cash in the rewards freeroll though!

I usually try to find something positive to take from each session and, despite having possibly my toughest ever MTT session from a bad beats perspective, I think I still can. Whilst unpleasant, tonight probably best sums up the whole reason for this challenge. Previously, an MTT session like this would have me leave all this tourney nonsense alone for a couple of weeks and lick my wounds over some well selected cash games instead. Whether or not I actually want to become an MTT reg remains to be seen but, if I were to, dealing with this kind of adversity is all part of the package. If the challenge was just one big heater then I wouldn't really have learned much about myself along the way.

Good attitude.

As you've already alluded to, the toughest part of this (mentally) will be going from making decent profits from almost every cash session you play to losing more sessions than you win in MTT's (even @MattBates has more losing sessions than winning ones... not by much though :) ). It's also going to be fairly easy to drop £100+ a session at your current schedule but hopefully you don't have too many sessions where you run this bad.

Keep on keeping on.

glgl
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Liking the pma - keep it up! If the goal is to just fire everything running £33 and below and learn some lessons along the path to enlightenment, then cool. If part of the goal is to make a healthy profit along the way over the course of just one month then personally I think you could game select a bit better and still hit your volume goals. Not out of the realms of possibility to just get rekt in those bigger buy-in turbos for the whole month, which will significantly impact your bottom line. Just my 2 cents'...
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    MynaFrett said:

Day 4.

Good attitude.

As you've already alluded to, the toughest part of this (mentally) will be going from making decent profits from almost every cash session you play to losing more sessions than you win in MTT's (even @MattBates has more losing sessions than winning ones... not by much though :) ). It's also going to be fairly easy to drop £100+ a session at your current schedule but hopefully you don't have too many sessions where you run this bad.

Keep on keeping on.

glgl
    Myna 'I hate the 7 at 7 so I never play it' Frett :D Gg!