You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The ICC 2019 Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited June 2019
    Love the format.

I think there's a good chance we're going to get the best 4 teams in the semis.

After that, who knows. Nobody will be more than a 60/40 favourite.

And as poker players, we know how a slim an edge that is over a sample size of 1 game.

Big test of Englands character over the next few games, it's easy to play globetrotter cricket when the pressures off, but the unforgivable Pakistan defeat has left us with the toughest games to
    come, and little margin for error.

Hopefully the coaching staff and players keep faith with their gameplan which has quite rightly made us favourites for the tournament.

England
    New Z
    Aus

& WI/India

are the final 4 for me.

After that, toss a coin. A coin thats ever so slightly tilted in Englands favour :)

• Options
    Vince_107Vince_107 Member Posts: 70
    DOHHHHHHH said:

Love the format.

I think there's a good chance we're going to get the best 4 teams in the semis.

After that, who knows. Nobody will be more than a 60/40 favourite.

And as poker players, we know how a slim an edge that is over a sample size of 1 game.

Big test of Englands character over the next few games, it's easy to play globetrotter cricket when the pressures off, but the unforgivable Pakistan defeat has left us with the toughest games to
    come, and little margin for error.

Hopefully the coaching staff and players keep faith with their gameplan which has quite rightly made us favourites for the tournament.

England
    New Z
    Aus

& WI/India

are the final 4 for me.

After that, toss a coin. A coin thats ever so slightly tilted in Englands favour :)

No India? For me they are slight favourites over us (Eng). Bumrah looks unplayable, they've got top top spin options and the best batsman on the planet... alongside a few others who are pretty handy with the bat too.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,473

@DOHHHHHHH

Good to see you back JJ.

Loved this expression, summed it up perfectly;

it's easy to play globetrotter cricket
  • Options

@EvilPingu

Thanks for the D-L explanation, all makes sense now.
  • Options
    sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    Washout today in Bristol, so no result between Pakistan & Sri Lanka.

Getting my uniform etc, ready for my first stint as a "Cricketeer" at Taunton tomorrow. New Zealand will be clear favourites to beat Afghanistan but I think it will be an intriguing innings when the NZ big hitters come up against some quality spin bowling.
  • Options
    sillymid said:

Washout today in Bristol, so no result between Pakistan & Sri Lanka.

Getting my uniform etc, ready for my first stint as a "Cricketeer" at Taunton tomorrow. New Zealand will be clear favourites to beat Afghanistan but I think it will be an intriguing innings when the NZ big hitters come up against some quality spin bowling.

Give us a quick resume of your cricket background @sillymid. Avid fan, Club cricketer, etc? Somerset fan, if so, back as far as the Beefy/Joel/Viv days?

Do you use Twitter? If so, I might suggest some good "Follows" for you.
  • Options
    Thank you Tony.

I am a fan more than anything. I have played for pub teams but I have no real skill in the game.

I am originally from Sussex, so my boyhood heroes were John Snow and Tony Greig. I spent most of my adult life in Worcestershire, who had success in the late 1980's with Ian Botham, Graham Dilley, Graeme Hick etc. so that is the team I follow the most.

Now we live in Devon, I help out with the Colts section at our local club (especially the girls, as my god daughter plays at Under 13 level) and by scoring for the Third XI most Saturdays.

I am afraid that Twitter is not my thing.
  • Options

Ha, now & Greig at Sussex, what days they were.

I've always loved cricket, but much prefer the "proper" 3 & 5 day red ball stuff.

To be fair, the One Day stuff keeps punters coming through the gates, & I'm quite enjoying the CWC. Can't get into IPL & the like though.

To me, back in the day, the morning session on Day 1 of a Test at, say, Headingley, was the best thing ever. To watch an even contest between bat & ball, even if that meant 6 runs in 10 overs or whatever, Boycott grinding out the runs, was wonderful to watch.

As a kid, I used to go watch Middlesex at Lords with my little scorecard, never had such fun. Cricket has given me so much pleasure.

• Options
    First shift as a World Cup Volunteer at Taunton yesterday.

I was honoured to help carry out the New Zealand flag for the National Anthems. Apart from being generally helpful and friendly, my only other duties involved assisting with a silly “Its’ a Knockout” type game during the interval.

One of two fans from each country had to hit a velcro covered ball to his team mate, who was wearing a hug velcro covered cricket helmet, with the objective of making the balls stick to it. The Afghan team had a huge advantage, having played the game at Cardiff previously against a Kiwi pair who live in London.

The game itself was not that exciting. Afghanistan started well but collapsed from 66-0 to 70-4 and only managed to post 172 All Out. Despite losing Martin Guptil first ball, Williamson and Taylor knocked off the runs easily. It was heartening to see so many Afghanis supporting their team in their first World Cup; helping to spread our marvellous game around the world.
  • Options
    After two washout games in Bristol and one in Southampton, we were lucky to get a full day of cricket on a grey day in Taunton for Pakistan v. Australia.

I was on “Meet and greet” duties at one of the turnstiles today; hopefully making the spectators feel welcome in the West Country. The majority of the fans were supporting Pakistan but I did chat to a few Ozzie’s who were visiting from down under for the first time.

I will leave the match report to Cricinfo.

“A wild, seesawing game that always seemed just a little too far out of Pakistan's reach proved to be just that at the end, with Australia wrapping up a 41-run victory that was far nervier than the scorecard suggested. It came about thanks to a century from David Warner at the top end, coupled with generosity to the point of self-sacrifice from Pakistan both with the ball and in the field. Australia were so far on top in the first half of the first innings, talk of 350 and 400 rolled easily off the tongue, until a vintage performance from Mohammad Amir curtailed them to 307, his five-for bowling out a side that hadn't lost a single wicket for 22 overs.

Pakistan, in response, oscillated between dismal and distinguished. Babar Azam looked princely for a knock that lasted all of 28 deliveries, before an 80-run partnership between Imam-ul-Haq and Mohammad Hafeez looked to have put Pakistan on top. Another collapse, this one entirely of Pakistan's own making, followed, before a late rearguard by Hasan Ali and Wahab Riaz put the fear of God into Australia. They usually win such games, however, and Pakistan tend to find a way to lose them. In that sense - but strictly in that sense alone - this was business as usual.”

This was one of the more interesting games in the World Cup so far and if Pakistan had felded better in the first 20 overs and not thrown away wickets recklessly in their middle order then they could easily have won.
  • Options
    Wins in the last few days for Australia, who are looking strong and for South Africa (at last) - and then on Sunday, the most watched cricket game in the world (an estimated 2 billion TV audience) between India and Pakistan. The game went to form with India winning by 87 runs in a rain affected game.

My last shift at Taunton today for Bangladesh v. West Indies. Another vibrant atmosphere at The County Ground; Chris Gayle out for a duck was an early blow but West Indies posted a respectable 321-8. Shakib Al Hasan's unbeaten 124 helped Bangladesh pull off the second highest chase in World Cup history and pushes them to fifth in the table.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my volunteering experience - my highlight today was when I asked a Bangladeshi fan if he needed any help to find where he was going. He answered me sternly "NO. I am here to WIN!!"
  • Options
    Amazing performance from Eoin Morgan. Most sixes by an ODI player (17).

Other records:

Most sixes by an ODI team (25); highest score for England at a World Cup (397); most expensive bowling figures at a World Cup for Rashid Khan (9-0-110-0) and the most sixes conceded by an individual bowler (Rashid Khan with 11).

Full report at https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/report/1144506/england-vs-afghanistan-24th-match-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019
  • Options
    New Zealand v. South Africa has given us our first close finish of the competition.

Kane Williamson showed his class by scoring 106 n.o. to rescue the Kiwis from 80-4 chasing 242; topping it off by hitting a six and and a four in the final over.

Nothing went right for S.A. They could have had Williamson out on review plus dropped catches and missed run outs which added to their miserable campaign.
  • Options
    One of the reasons we are enthralled by sport is that it is "unscripted drama". No matter how skilled the playwright or director of a play, film or TV show might be, they and the actors know ultimately how the story will play out.

The downside is that sport can also be dull - and if one opponent is obviously superior to the other, then the only pleasure for the neutral fan is to admire the skill and commitment of the better side. The stories which are told and re-told are not of easy wins but of great comebacks and nail biting finishes.

What we all crave is the individual moment of brilliance which turns the game; the underdog who pulls off an act of giant killing - or two evenly matched rivals who bring out the very best in each other. You will all think of examples from your favourite sport.

In truth, the Cricket World Cup has not produced too many of these moments so far but I have just caught up the highlights from the weekend matches, which have at least taken things up a gear.

England's disappointing performance on Friday against Sri Lanka highlighted the main weakness in the team; hyper-aggressive batting is thrilling and successful, but when wickets start to fall there is a reluctance to 'steady the ship' for fear of changing strategy.

Afghanistan came very close to pulling off the shock of the tournament by nearly chasing down India's 224. When Nabi smeared a hard-to-hit low full-toss off Shami for four straight of long-on, Afghanistan needed just 12 off the last five balls with three wickets in hand. It was Shami who secured the victory for India with a hat-trick, which began with the prized scalp of Nabi and ended with a whirring yorker that demolished the stumps of No.11 Mujeeb. [From cricinfo].

West Indies also fell agonisingly 5 runs short of their target of 292 against New Zealand, Carlos Brathwaite scoring a brilliant century but caught on the boundary going for the big hit to win the match. On Sunday, the underwhelming South Africans went out of competition after failing to chase Pakistan's 308.

Roll on England v Australia tomorrow!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    This game is showing signs of being a very painful watch from an England cricket fan's perspective. Looking like we'll be chasing comfortably in excess of 300. Against my better judgement I just have a feeling Vince could finally put his hand up with the bat today.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    Vince_107 said:

This game is showing signs of being a very painful watch from an England cricket fan's perspective. Looking like we'll be chasing comfortably in excess of 300. Against my better judgement I just have a feeling Vince could finally put his hand up with the bat today.

oooops. ;) Glad the Aussies got under 300, but will still be a tough chase (imo).
  • Options
    Vince_107 said:

great read
  • Options
    Oh Dear. Just come in, telly on to find England 26-3. Well someone has to put their hand up.
  • Options
    sillymid said:

One of the reasons we are enthralled by sport is that it is "unscripted drama". No matter how skilled the playwright or director of a play, film or TV show might be, they and the actors know ultimately how the story will play out.

The downside is that sport can also be dull - and if one opponent is obviously superior to the other, then the only pleasure for the neutral fan is to admire the skill and commitment of the better side. The stories which are told and re-told are not of easy wins but of great comebacks and nail biting finishes.

What we all crave is the individual moment of brilliance which turns the game; the underdog who pulls off an act of giant killing - or two evenly matched rivals who bring out the very best in each other. You will all think of examples from your favourite sport.

In truth, the Cricket World Cup has not produced too many of these moments so far but I have just caught up the highlights from the weekend matches, which have at least taken things up a gear.

England's disappointing performance on Friday against Sri Lanka highlighted the main weakness in the team; hyper-aggressive batting is thrilling and successful, but when wickets start to fall there is a reluctance to 'steady the ship' for fear of changing strategy.

Afghanistan came very close to pulling off the shock of the tournament by nearly chasing down India's 224. When Nabi smeared a hard-to-hit low full-toss off Shami for four straight of long-on, Afghanistan needed just 12 off the last five balls with three wickets in hand. It was Shami who secured the victory for India with a hat-trick, which began with the prized scalp of Nabi and ended with a whirring yorker that demolished the stumps of No.11 Mujeeb. [From cricinfo].

West Indies also fell agonisingly 5 runs short of their target of 292 against New Zealand, Carlos Brathwaite scoring a brilliant century but caught on the boundary going for the big hit to win the match. On Sunday, the underwhelming South Africans went out of competition after failing to chase Pakistan's 308.

Roll on England v Australia tomorrow!

One of the best-written posts ever to grace this forum, great stuff & thank you.

I do hope you stick round after the CWC ends.