You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The ICC 2019 Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

Yes, not an easy decision, but I think I could live with either.

As to the weather, I checked the forecast earlier, and it looks like it will be ok once this early rain clears. I'm just west of London and it's heavily overcast, but the rain stopped an hour or two ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Play starts at 10.45, New Zealand won the toss and bat first.

Jimmy Anderson just said that if he were playing, he'd want to bowl first.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,036
    Root threw his wicket away with some unnecessary wild swinging shots,game on now.
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    this is proper high level batting by stokes and buttler against good bowling on a ropey pitch
  • Options

Wow.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    What a match. Those last 2 overs had EVERYTHING
  • Options
    This has got to go down as one of the best sporting matches I've ever seen.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    Me too..although not sure i even understand the game. Lolz
  • Options
    Extraordinary.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited July 2019
    Get in!!!!! There will never be a better final, ever.

You have to feel for New Zealand, we looked dead and buried. Even looked like we had blown it in the super over.
  • Options
    Unbelievable.
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    superb what a match u gotta feel 4 the kiwis
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    I think I just watched the greatest game of cricket of all time? Astonishing.
  • Options
    sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    That was truly amazing. Still catching my breath and I might have a bottle of light ale to celebrate.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Never in doubt
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,277
    Don't you hate it when the games are rigged for action!

Truly amazing game and what a day for sports fans. 5 hours of an epic Wimbledon final and the cricket world cup final at the same time, I 'taped' the Grand Prix and fast forwarded through most of it, how boring compared to the cricket, now that's a sentence you don't see often!
  • Options
    Enut said:

Don't you hate it when the games are rigged for action!

Truly amazing game and what a day for sports fans. 5 hours of an epic Wimbledon final and the cricket world cup final at the same time, I 'taped' the Grand Prix and fast forwarded through most of it, how boring compared to the cricket, now that's a sentence you don't see often!

You can bet good money there are some who think that. Only if they failed to back the winner though.

• Options
    sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2019
    I posted on this thread some time ago about sport being ‘unscripted drama’ (and how the World Cup hadn’t had much at that stage).

The incredible Final proved that point in the best possible way. The emotions produced by such a finish are almost unbearable. Full credit to New Zealand; they batted sensibly on a slow pitch to score a defendable total and then their opening bowlers caused problem after problem for the English batsmen to solve. Superb catches to remove Morgan and Buttler and only freak overthrows stopped them from being victorious.

Our marvellous game of cricket has so many facets and it mirrors life more closely than any other sporting endeavour. The interplay between the individual and team aspects is unique.

My weekend exemplifies all of its best characteristics.

On Saturday, I was scorer for our Third XI. In no other team sport could players in their 50’s (and sometimes older) play alongside lads in their youth who want some fun (but do not aspire to play at a higher level) and Colts (from 13 upwards) who are learning their trade. In our case, we have a bowler who has represented Devon in the Minor Counties Championship and dads with first team experience playing alongside their sons (and sometimes daughters). If you tried this in football or rugby, not only would it be a disaster but probably downright dangerous as well.

On Sunday morning I took my goddaughter to play an Under 13s match at a delightful village ground on the Eastern edge of Dartmoor. In a game dominated by excellent bowling, she hit her first ever six in helping her team to a narrow victory. To see such enthusiasm from two groups of girls who are the future of the ladies game was inspiring.

Test Match Special on the radio on the way home as the Kiwis were building their total and I arrived home to watch the last ten over of their innings. The rest of the afternoon relentlessly built to the climax of one of the most incredible sporting events ever. I cannot remember being literally moved to tears by any other game as I was last night. I managed to find a bottle of light ale at the back of the cupboard to celebrate and topped the evening off by coming eighth in the Mini Major.

We will be watching documentaries about this one in twenty years’ time. Cricket has finally come home.