You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can Duesenberg cut it as an MTT reg? Let's find out...

Comments

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Day 34-35.

I played Saturday and Sunday evening with very little to report. Both were losing sessions unfortunately, but not by a huge amount at least -£30 on the Saturday and -£10 on the Sunday. I was hopeful of securing a victory in a £1k gtd £11bh at one point, which would have completed the set for that buy-in, but back to back bad beats vs the same villain turned a healthy final table stack into a 5th place finish instead :(.

Also, I know this was mentioned previously on the forum, but I'm really not a fan of the Saturday night Main having been turned in a turbo. Given that Sunday's are the day most people are likely to have as a day off, it seems strange to me to choose that night for a guaranteed earlier finish, rather than a second midweek turbo instead (none of the Main's would be turbos if I was king though!).

MTT's played: 447
    MTT's won: 6
    Profit/Loss: +£1,692.33

• Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    You'd make a fine king. Enjoying the diary dude.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    I'd like to see this kept going after 500 games if you can muster the enthusiasm? For instance, I see you're around £1k short of £10k profit in Sky MTTs which seems like a good milestone to try and hit.

You'll probably just bink a Main in your remaining 50 games now I've said that!
  • Options
    SR23 said:

You'd make a fine king. Enjoying the diary dude.

I'd love to be king but fear I'd end up making look George III look rather sane by comparison!

Any chance of a diary update from your good self soon? I'm most keen to hear about your Dutch adventures :).
  • Options

I'd like to see this kept going after 500 games if you can muster the enthusiasm? For instance, I see you're around £1k short of £10k profit in Sky MTTs which seems like a good milestone to try and hit.

You'll probably just bink a Main in your remaining 50 games now I've said that!

Glad you're enjoying following and I had considered keeping this going until reaching the £10k Sharky milestone, but I'm getting a little bit of diary fatigue now to be honest so I think I'll still wrap it up after game 500. I might give the thread a shameless self-congratulatory bump if or when I get there though :).
  • Options
    Days 36-38.

I've had a very quiet week on the poker front so it's been a little while since the last update.

I started with my usual selection on Monday night but soon abandoned the session due to feeling absolutely knackered and playing very poorly as a result. It was another one of those times where I felt compelled to play despite being far from in the right place mentally to do so. I really need to get better at following my instincts in that regard as there is little point showing up when your A game has zero chance of making an appearance. I ended up donating about £50 before finally wising up and hitting the sack where it took all of 60 seconds to descend into a full deep sleep.

I'm usually a bit of a night owl but I sometimes go to the other extreme of getting up crazy early instead, which is how the rest of the week went. The resulting early bedtimes meant that evening MTT sessions were a no go and the daytime schedule on Sky isn't hugely appealing really. I did play a small morning session on Wednesday but that was well and truly scuppered by @Angmar2626 who decided to run like Bates on a heater and dump me out of almost everything I'd registered for - despite me being well ahead every time the chips went in the middle. I heard rumours that he was quite the player but can now confirm he's just a total luckbox really ;).

A couple more days went by before I returned for a mammoth 2 games session on Saturday afternoon. Thankfully Angmar was nowhere to be seen this time and I managed to add another precious win to the collection in a £400 gtd £11 bounty hunter.

My body clock is slowly shifting round to something more normal (I woke up at 4am today which has been my longest lie in all week!) so hopefully I'll be back on the full evening grind from Monday onward :).

MTT's played: 464
    MTT's won: 7
    Profit/Loss: +£1,775.51
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,194
    edited July 2019
    Good work @Duesenberg.

Wearing your musicians hat, are you aware of a female guitarist by the name of Carmen Vandenberg? She is one half of "Bones" but maybe better known for working with Jeff Beck & co-writing an album for him.

I'm no expert on guitarists, but she seems very good, and she's certainly a very striking personality. In fact, I think I may be in love with her. She also featured heavily in the excellent Jeff Beck rockumentary "Still On The Run".

How about this for a smile to melt the hardest heart?

• Options
    Thanks Tikay.

I'm not familiar with Carmen Vandenberg but I'll certainly take a closer look - she reminds me a little of Pink from the pictures.

I love discovering new music and back in the pre-internet era I'd go round local record shops and randomly pick out things from their bargain bins by artists I'd never heard of. One of my best finds was a 4 track live EP by a then unknown group called the Stereophonics, which I was instantly hooked by. A few weeks later I found they were playing a gig up the road from me in Brighton in a tiny out of the way venue, so I quickly snapped up a ticket for all of £4. There can't have been more than about 50 people there and to this day it was by far the best gig I've ever been to.

We're rather spoilt these days with the internet giving us instant access to almost anything our hearts desire, but it's a wonderful way for artists and audiences to find one another. On the subject of female guitarists, I recently stumbled across a young lady called Gabriella Quevedo. She's a finger-style acoustic player so probably a little more gentle than the stuff you posted above, but she's outrageously good at what she does.

Here she is doing a cover of Billie Jean which is well worth 5 minutes of ones time in my opinion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpLU044zgpo
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    I often search the internet for women who strum with their fingers.
  • Options
    Day 39-41.

At long last I have finally reached the 500 game milestone. By the skin of my teeth, I have also reached the £2k profit mark for the challenge, which is super satisfying too. I'll use this post to update on the last few days and follow it up with a round-up of the challenge as a whole, which I'm sure will be typically concise ;).

I played a small evening session of Monday, a late afternoon session on Tuesday and a full day on Wednesday.

Monday brought another near miss with 9th in the Main event, which is always a bitter-sweet experience. Obviously it's nice to make some profit but there's always that sense of "just what if" when you go close in the biggest game in your schedule. The only other run of note was 2nd in the 16:30 £5.50bh.

Tuesday was a rather less exciting affair with the exception of coming 2nd in the 16:30 £5.50bh once again.

By Wednesday I had 18 games to go and really wanted to get this wrapped up as I'll be away from the tables for a few days now due to visiting family. I opted for an early start and a day full of cheapies. The morning went rather well and for the first time in this challenge I secured two wins on the same day - a £1 rebuy and a £5.50 turbo bounty hunter. Given the small number of players in the mornings they were hardly massive scores, but they all add up in the end. Things got a little uglier in the afternoon when it felt like someone had flipped my doomswitch but squeaking into 4th spot in a £2.20 deepstack, which was the last table I had running for the day, just about got me over the £2k profit line.

Stay tuned for more thrilling MTT wafflings... :)

MTT's played: 500
    MTT's won: 9
    Profit/Loss: +£2,003.66
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    Sorry Dues, had to show you this one too :) Well done on your challenge!--- https://youtu.be/2_P-t0idgqI
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    Well played Duesy lad
    This challenge has been really interesting to see and you,ve made some nice profit
    I only wish I could be so consistent
    Again very well done
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    Well done mate. It's a shame you're knocking the diary on the head and not setting some new targets but at least it seems that MTTs have finally won you over.

Keep up the great work at the tables and here's hoping you're back with a new challenge in the near future.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,194

This has been a terrific read, beautifully written, & as others have said, it's a shame it has to end.

Thank you.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    In terms of the significant volume, have you compared your volume to other players and removed all in sats? I think your volume is fairly decent although I think you would maybe have done better with fewer sessions but more higher volume sessions.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

This short-lived diary fulfilled its goal of getting me to put some consistent volume into MTT's and although it was tempting to keep it going, it was starting to reach the point of going stale and becoming more of a hindrance than a help (see my recent post regarding 'diary tilt').

I had a lot of fun keeping track of things on the forum though so I'm sure I'll be back with another challenge of some sort in the not too distant future :).
  • Options
    MattBates said:

In terms of the significant volume, have you compared your volume to other players and removed all in sats? I think your volume is fairly decent although I think you would maybe have done better with fewer sessions but more higher volume sessions.

You're right that my volume starts to look a fair bit more respectable compared to others when sats (especially all-in ones) are taken out of the equation. I also agree that I'd probably benefit from playing with less frequency but with a higher level of intensity/volume per session.

It may be different/easier with grinding cash games due to less parameters changing over the course of a session (ie relative stack sizes, ICM considerations etc.), but when I'm critical of myself for the volume I managed to put in over the course of this challenge, it's in the context of the marathon sessions I used to regularly be able to put in a couple of years back. I seem to get mentally fatigued far more quickly now than I used to which I put down to either getting older or growing slightly bored of the game. I'd like to think it's the latter but I fear it's more likely the former :frowning:.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,040
    This has been a great read @Duesenberg and is a shame you are not setting new goals for another challenge. I think you have proved, beyond any shadow of doubt, that you most certainly can cut it at MTT's. Very well done sir.