You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

147 challenge

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

tomgoodun said:

Good luck with this, I shall follow with interest.
    I don’t watch much snooker these days, back in the day I was an avid viewer of the likes of Steve Interesting’ Davis, Jimmy ‘Whirlwind’ White etc etc.
    Do you think today’s players match up to the best of the past?

Thanks Tom. I haven't seen much of Steve Davis at his peak. I started watching during the end of the Hendry era and the start of what I would call the O'Sullivan, Higgins & Williams era. It's difficult for me to imagine those three at their peak not being able to match up to the likes of Davis.

I was lucky enough to see the entire Steve Davis era from start to finish. In my opinion, he'd come out best against both Williams (who I admire & like immensely, & is my 2nd favourite player all time) & Higgins, (who, I must say, I'm not a fan of), but of course he'd get a black eye if he took Ronnie on. Nobody, ever, was or is better than Ronnie at his peak. (All imo).

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534

Best of luck with your challenge. Myself, @Itsover4u and @68Trebor are happy to confirm that Villa fans clearly make the best poker players :D

Fyi, freerolls make virtually no difference to your ROI figures on Sharkscope given that you don't actually invest anything to play them in the fist place. Below are your results with and without freerolls included. I think the only reason for any difference in the ROI's may come from the few freerolls which have optional rebuys.

Confirmed.... good result tonight and best of luck with the challenge will be following
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,791

Best of luck with the challenge B)

I'm a big snooker fan too. Who's your favourite player to watch? What's your highest break?

Thanks. Sadly, it is not 147. I've had an 80 break. John Higgins was my favourite for a long time, top class in all departments at his peak. How about yourself?

I'm with Tikay on this one - never been a fan of Higgins. I used to love watching Mark Williams play (also had a tenner on him to win the worlds @ 25/1 in 2018!)

Now I'd say Judd Trump is my favourite to watch, he makes the game look ridiculously easy. Looking forward to The Masters!
  • Options
    NoEa5yCa5hNoEa5yCa5h Member Posts: 608
    Interesting view @Tikay10. I recall Steve Davis saying after Higgins beat Judd Trump in the 2011 final, he thought John Higgins is the best snooker player he'd seen in his life.

Curious to know why yourself & @goldnballz are both not a fan. Do you not rate his game as top class or you don't like him?
  • Options

Interesting view @Tikay10. I recall Steve Davis saying after Higgins beat Judd Trump in the 2011 final, he thought John Higgins is the best snooker player he'd seen in his life.

Curious to know why yourself & @goldnballz are both not a fan. Do you not rate his game as top class or you don't like him?

@NoEa5yCa5h

It's the latter. I don't doubt his ability one bit, he's amazingly good, especially for a man of his age. It's more a case of he's a) not exciting to watch (imo), & of course, b), there is that matter of the bribe which I really can't get out of my head. Every time I see him I think "you are a cheat". I just can't get that out of my mind.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    Jac35 said:

Best of luck with your challenge. Myself, @Itsover4u and @68Trebor are happy to confirm that Villa fans clearly make the best poker players :D

Fyi, freerolls make virtually no difference to your ROI figures on Sharkscope given that you don't actually invest anything to play them in the fist place. Below are your results with and without freerolls included. I think the only reason for any difference in the ROI's may come from the few freerolls which have optional rebuys.

That doesn’t really work though
    Hendrik62 is also a Villa fan (although he does support about 6 other teams too)

Theres always an exception to the rule.....I did have a soft spot for Derby in my 6 but no more..... only 5 now :-)
  • Options

@NoEa5yCa5h

Good effort in last night's Main, Pete. One more 2XUp & you'd have had a short at taking it down.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,791
    Tikay10 said:

@NoEa5yCa5h

It's the latter. I don't doubt his ability one bit, he's amazingly good, especially for a man of his age. It's more a case of he's a) not exciting to watch (imo), & of course, b), there is that matter of the bribe which I really can't get out of my head. Every time I see him I think "you are a cheat". I just can't get that out of my mind.
    Exactly these reasons.
  • Options
    ^^ Yes, I can see your point. I liked watching him a lot more the decade before that.
  • Options

^^ Yes, I can see your point. I liked watching him a lot more the decade before that.

Yes, me too. Once the "incident" went off, I insta took against him.

Snooker is, on the whole, such a wonderfully clean sport. No (well, very little) cheating, players call fouls on themselves, they dress properly & smartly, & the audience show wonderful decorum. (The complete opposite of Darts, which is plumbing new depths every week).

Love the snooker.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@NoEa5yCa5h

Good effort in last night's Main, Pete. One more 2XUp & you'd have had a short at taking it down.

Thanks @Tikay10, but tbh, I was disappointed with how I played. Still, it was a decent result given I got in through a satellite. I am a little torn about playing satellites, it is my least favourite type of game, probably because I don't know what I am doing when it gets close to getting money. Although, I've played two this week, and made the main twice, so I may let results dictate for now.
  • Options
    Good evening,

Week 1 Update - All three targets hit, which were:

- Play at least 40 tournaments
    - Eat in an 8 hour period each day
    - Workout 5 times

Just about got there with the tournament target, playing exactly 40. I don't think I would've played that many had I not posted here, so that is something.
    Eating in an eight hour period wasn't too bad, it was just a case of skipping breakfast and not snacking in the evenings.
    Started off quite light in the workouts and intend on building it up. I will drop this down to 3/4 times a week, but for now it's fine.

The above resulted in me winning £33.09 & losing 2 pounds in weight. The winnings was helped in part by a free entry into the Mini Major on Sunday courtesy of the daily forum comp @Tikay10 and others run. This is worth a go if you have a minute free each day to post a selection and helps towards keeping the forum going I'm informed.

I'll stick to the same targets for this week.
  • Options
    Good evening,

Week 2 Update - 2 targets hit:

X Eat in an 8 hour period each day
    - Workout 5 times

Played 48 tournaments. Settled on two schedules depending on whether I am playing in the morning or evening. Both of which have buy-ins totalling around £35 with an average buy-in around a fiver. Won 2 or 3, which were rebuy tournaments. The deeper stack play probably suits me but they are the cheapest tourneys I play, so could just be a case of finding my level :)

Weekly result + £210.43 (overall +£243.52)

5/7 days I ate in an 8 hour period, the days I failed, I ate in 9 hour periods.

-1lb (overall -3lbs)

Slow progress in the weight loss but in the words of David Brent...

• Options

That's very impressive @NoEa5yCa5h , keep it going.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Good work! I love those 1rs too tbf - see there's been another added in the mornings at 10.15 :)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

That's very impressive @NoEa5yCa5h , keep it going.

Thanks @Tikay10. That plan is to carry on as is for now.
  • Options

Good work! I love those 1rs too tbf - see there's been another added in the mornings at 10.15 :)

Thanks @Angmar2626. I did see the rebuy added and seen you knock me out of it this morning - wpwp. They recently added another bounty hunter at 10am I see. It was getting pretty hectic for me at one point this morning. I'm not good at multi-tabling as it is, so to have two heads up games (both of which I lost) and a couple of other tables around the bubble, left my head spinning. Still, I managed to get over the line in one of the bounty hunters.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Week 3 Update - 2 targets hit again:

X Eat in an 8 hour period each day
    - Workout 5 times
    -
    Similar to last week, 5/7 days I ate in an 8 hour period, the days I failed, I ate in 9 hour periods.

-1lb for the week (overall -4lbs)

Played 52 tournaments. Trending in the right direction in terms of volume, possibly due to results. Think I won 4 morning bounty hunters and the £1 rebuy in the evening. The £7.70 at 7 is the highest tourney I buy directly into. I did satellite into the main a couple of times, both of which I bricked. Given the buy-ins, another decent week in terms of results.

Weekly result + £248.90 (overall +£492.42)

Bought tickets for me and my lad to see Villa at home to Spurs next month. The last time I took him was against Leeds. It was his first game and I'd have rather we had an easier game on paper. I wanted it to him to have a good impression and wasn't sure how he'd be if we lost. It started well with us 2-0 up at HT and we we're having a good time, but as Leeds turned it around, it turned out I needn't have worried if we lost, he was jumping for joy when Leeds turned the game around and nicked a 95th minute winner. Claiming his team had won and mine had lost. He's back on board for now though, as we're back in the prem...
  • Options

Good work, both on the challenge & the diet.

Which is the harder?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Good work, both on the challenge & the diet.

Which is the harder?

I wouldn't class it a 'diet' as such, it is more changing my eating habits. I am surprised how easy it is to only eat in a 8/9 hour period. I feel much better for it. Therefore, at the minute, I'd have to say poker is harder.