You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SR23's March diary: from rakeback to ... somewhere

SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
Hello All.

After last year's aborted monthly diary attempt, I thought I'd begin (and probably abandon) another one.

The idea is to take last month's prio rakeback (£155) and last week's weekly payout (£57) and spin it up. Assuming it does get spun up, I'll be donating 10% of profits to charity - 5% to the local foodbank and 5% to @StayOrGo 's rough sleeping charity.

There are lots of reasons for wanting to keep a monthly diary, but all in good time.

I'll be playing a mixture of 10/20 nl and some lower buy-in tournaments to begin with. Cash was bad last month and so far this month because I've been playing badly and running badly. I won an £11 tournament last night because I played okay and ran well.

Updates will be near-daily and possibly more expansive than the above paragraph. Bet you can't wait.

Peace out.

Starting balance: £212
Current balance: £362

Comments

• Options
    SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 478
    Good luck mate - this will be fun to follow, see you at the tables.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,119

BOOM, excellent news, good to see you back on here Steve, & that's a very generous charity pitch.
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,130
    edited March 2020
    SR23 said:

Hello All.

After last year's aborted monthly diary attempt, I thought I'd begin (and probably abandon) another one.

The idea is to take last month's prio rakeback (£155) and last week's weekly payout (£57) and spin it up. Assuming it does get spun up, I'll be donating 10% of profits to charity - 5% to the local foodbank and 5% to @StayOrGo 's rough sleeping charity.

There are lots of reasons for wanting to keep a monthly diary, but all in good time.

I'll be playing a mixture of 10/20 nl and some lower buy-in tournaments to begin with. Cash was bad last month and so far this month because I've been playing badly and running badly. I won an £11 tournament last night because I played okay and ran well.

Updates will be near-daily and possibly more expansive than the above paragraph. Bet you can't wait.

Peace out.

Best of luck Steve, and thanks so much for the charity pledge.

I went out on the streets of Cambridge last Monday with Ben @Sunday8pm delivering much needed food, coffee and supplies to the homeless. Ben was brilliant in the way he engaged with the homeless guys.

We are hoping to raise some funds to be able to buy other things like mobile pay as you go phones with a £10 credit to enable them to contact loved ones, local services, emergency services if necessary, that may be able to help.

As we meet the homeless more and more and sit and talk with them we are getting a better understanding of what their needs are and how best we can help. Obviously we can't solve all their problems, but they need to survive today, in order to be here for a better tomorrow and that is what we are trying to help them with.

We have found that they are very honourable and only take the things they need, so we have a selection of stuff and they can select the bits they need.

I am going out again on Saturday with a group called Under One Sky that have now branched out to Cambridge. (They previously just covered London)

I am probably going to start up a Facebook group with more details, so will post more about it on this forum in the coming days.

Thanks again and best of luck!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    StayOrGo said:

SR23 said:

Hello All.

Peace out.

Best of luck Steve, and thanks so much for the charity pledge.

I went out on the streets of Cambridge last Monday with Ben @Sunday8pm delivering much needed food, coffee and supplies to the homeless. Ben was brilliant in the way he engaged with the homeless guys.

We are hoping to raise some funds to be able to buy other things like mobile pay as you go phones with a £10 credit to enable them to contact loved ones, local services, emergency services if necessary, that may be able to help.

As we meet the homeless more and more and sit and talk with them we are getting a better understanding of what their needs are and how best we can help. Obviously we can't solve all their problems, but they need to survive today, in order to be here for a better tomorrow and that is what we are trying to help them with.

We have found that they are very honourable and only take the things they need, so we have a selection of stuff and they can select the bits they need.

I am going out again on Saturday with a group called Under One Sky that have now branched out to Cambridge. (They previously just covered London)

I am probably going to start up a Facebook group with more details, so will post more about it on this forum in the coming days.

Thanks again and best of luck!
    That’s fantastic
  • Options
    I’m looking forward to reading this, Steve
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Delighted to see the return of Sky Poker's finest raconteur :).

Best of luck with the grind and top marks for the added charity element. I'll be lurking with great interest :).
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your kind words @SMARTGOAT , @Tikay10 @Jac35 and @Duesenberg - really appreciate it. Now watch me screw it all up.

Paul's right, @StayOrGo , that is a fantastic post. Hopefully there will be a little something heading in that direction come the beginning of next month.

In (somewhat) thrilling news I've managed to bink a seat into the Sunday major. Turns out all you have to do to get a seat is get it in with 99 v JJ, bink, then less than an orbit later beat up both AA and KK aipf with 77. Good old binking. If I run as well on Sunday I might scrape a min-cash.

Going to play for a couple of hours today then take a break until tomorrow. Feel like I could do with a brief rest from the tables. I really pushed for prio last week/at the weekend and leaked over double the prio rakeback in the process. Fun times.

Thanks for reading, everyone.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,119
    edited March 2020
    raconteur though.

Not a word seen too often on here.

I had you more in the bon viveur department.
  • Options
    DEL560DEL560 Member Posts: 487
    Good Luck @SR23
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,742
    Hello Steve

Well this is pretty awesome.
    Splendid to see you back posting, wit and luck combined, you must be a wow with the ladies 😊
    I shall follow your progress with interest, good luck mate.
  • Options
    Cheers @DEL560 and @tomgoodun for your support - it means a lot. I wish I was a wow with the ladies, perhaps my time is just around the corner.

Little to report on the poker front as I've not been on the tables much. I'm playing so-so and running so-so and my bankroll is so-so. Looking forward to staying in over the weekend and grinding. Made the mistake of going out for a couple of pints to watch the football last Saturday evening and was still up drinking at 5:30am. Hangovers are less hangovers and more mini-breakdowns these days and not especially conducive to bankroll challenges so I'm going to (somewhat) lay off for a bit.

Happy weekending, all.

Current balance: £379
  • Options
    The "looking forward to staying in over the weekend and grinding" didn't quite work out.

Around 4am on Saturday the bankroll had nudged up to £420-ish. Good, I thought. That will do for now, I thought. Get some sleep and continue tomorrow. I shut down my computer. Then I thought some different thoughts. Let's just try and nudge it up a bit further, was one of those thoughts, the tables are pretty good.

By 7am I had sliced my bankroll in half. I woke up midday on Saturday in a fairly buoyant mood. When slicing your bankroll in half you need to tease out some positive thoughts and wake up in a fairly buoyant mood. I got my roll up to £300-ish, then sliced it in half again. Then I lopped a bit more off. Then I logged off. Then I logged back on again and lopped some more off. This is fine, I thought, all I need to do is stop writing my diary on Sky and hide out in South America for a few years until all this has blown over.

I won't be doing that (although I'd love to do that). Instead, I'll carry on with my tattered bankroll and see where I go. 4nl, probably.

On a more positive note, I've got at least £55 in weekly rewards heading my way tomorrow, a seat into tonight's roller, a chunk of rungood headed my way, a bottle of Argentinian Malbec to drink, and two fillet steaks that I'm about to cook with homemade peppercorn sauce. Have you ever made your own peppercorn sauce? In the pan that you cooked the steaks in? You really must.

More thrilling updates to follow, no doubt.

Current balance: £89

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,545
    Liking this diary (I dont like many).

A bit of humour in amongst the real poker exploits, with real writing.

Wishing you some run good this evening...go smash that roller. I mean the tournament, not the cooking utensil.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    MAXALLY said:

Liking this diary (I dont like many).

A bit of humour in amongst the real poker exploits, with real writing.

Wishing you some run good this evening...go smash that roller. I mean the tournament, not the cooking utensil.

You’re such an unpleasant man. You find it impossible to just write a positive post without having a nasty swipe at people.
    And less funny than Miranda and that’s saying something
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like a rough day Steve

Hopefully tonight goes well

Any live ventures recently?
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,035
    Poker is a pain the backside sometimes. I'm sure it's just a temporary blip though.

All the best and gl.
  • Options
    Thanks @MAXALLY - appreciate it. I'll do my best to smash the roller (the tournament...etc)

@Jac35 and @waller02 - both your diaries inspired (although that's probably the wrong word) me to continue with this diary despite the recent poker rope-a-dope and I think writing about the more fallow (read: nerve-shredding) times can both help the diarist's game and help soften his/her emotional marrow as well as offering a more accurate reflection of what playing poker semi-seriously is like. So, you know, cheers dudes.
  • Options
    LmfaoAllinLmfaoAllin Member Posts: 1,213
    Fillet steak and a bottle of Malbec, you have my attention.

Sounds like you know what you're doing but fwiw...My two fave sauce's, well ones a sauce and ones a bastardisation of a sauce and saute potatoes, for steak are..

Whilst the steak is resting, in the pan they were cooked in, fry some shallots and / or some mushrooms until soft, add a splash of brandy and cook for a further minute or so. Then a good splash of cream, season well and reduce a little.

The other one is exactly the same apart from along with the shallots and / or mushrooms, add some sliced par boiled new potatoes. ( works best if they're cooked a fair bit earlier and allowed to cool)

Anyhow, enjoy the steak and indeed the wine. GL with the pokerz and for spinning that RB.

• Options

Fillet steak and a bottle of Malbec, you have my attention.

Sounds like you know what you're doing but fwiw...My two fave sauce's, well ones a sauce and ones a bastardisation of a sauce and saute potatoes, for steak are..

Whilst the steak is resting, in the pan they were cooked in, fry some shallots and / or some mushrooms until soft, add a splash of brandy and cook for a further minute or so. Then a good splash of cream, season well and reduce a little.

The other one is exactly the same apart from along with the shallots and / or mushrooms, add some sliced par boiled new potatoes. ( works best if they're cooked a fair bit earlier and allowed to cool)

Anyhow, enjoy the steak and indeed the wine. GL with the pokerz and for spinning that RB.

Without wanting to turn this diary into a sauce-making diary - although if I looked deep within myself, that's precisely what I want - what sort of mushrooms do you use? A couple of weeks ago I walked six miles to get good mushrooms for a soup. True story.

For my peppercorn sauce I tend to use a shallot, garlic, beef stock, red and white wine, black peppercorns and organic double cream. It's almost my favourite thing to cook. I'm very interested in this boiled new potato component - may try it out. Lovely to have you here.

• Options
    Managed to spin up the £89 br to £143 in an hour or so. Am playing the roller now and going to add the mini if I last until 8:30pm. Planning on updating on the hour, every hour, so keep your peepers peeled. Only if you're into that kind of thing, mind.