You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Corona = more traffic?

Comments

• Options
    JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2020
    waller02 said:

Have to agree with @hhyftrftdr

I can't see any recreational poker players who are unfortunate enough to lose their job, with bills to pay and mouths to feed, deciding to invest any of their savings on an online poker site.

Yes, traffic will increase due to amount of people either working from home or self isolating but to say that those unfortunate enough to lose their job will be searching the internet for the best online poker deal is ridiculous. They will have far more important priorities, like trying to keep up with mortgage payments and feeding their kids.

Should have said those that can make money from it, sorry, I was indeed wrong there with that comment...

But mark my words I am sure there will be a huge influx of rec players in next 6 months, whether they should be playing or not.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    No, quite the opposite. I think online poker will probably see a rise in the next few months. But this will be purely down to circumstances of people working from home or having to self isolate (basically what Waller said)

Online poker will be the anomaly though, as apart from toilet roll sellers I can't think of many industries that are going to thrive in these current conditions.

But whether online poker increases or decreases is irrelevant to some of the ridiculous ideas and comments you're coming out with.
  • Options

No, quite the opposite. I think online poker will probably see a rise in the next few months. But this will be purely down to circumstances of people working from home or having to self isolate (basically what Waller said)

Online poker will be the anomaly though, as apart from toilet roll sellers I can't think of many industries that are going to thrive in these current conditions.

But whether online poker increases or decreases is irrelevant to some of the ridiculous ideas and comments you're coming out with.

So if online poker does increase - as you agree, why not try to attract more players to this site - which was the main point I was trying to make.

online poker
    online learning platforms
    Certain investment platforms
    healthcare
    health insurance
    inventors and distributors of medical supplies
    supermarket chains
    Pharmacies
    Deliveroo and Uber Eats
    Netflix
    Amazon
    Social media sites
    (Basically anything internet based)

Will all do well out of this, whether its morally correct or not, like it or not.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    Jacquelyn said:

waller02 said:

I can't see any recreational poker players who are unfortunate enough to lose their job, with bills to pay and mouths to feed, deciding to invest any of their savings on an online poker site.

Yes, traffic will increase due to amount of people either working from home or self isolating but to say that those unfortunate enough to lose their job will be searching the internet for the best online poker deal is ridiculous. They will have far more important priorities, like trying to keep up with mortgage payments and feeding their kids.

Should have said those that can make money from it, sorry, I was indeed wrong there with that comment...

But mark my words I am sure there will be a huge influx of rec players in next 6 months, whether they should be playing or not.
    What % of online poker players make enough money to live on in the event of losing their job? I would say its <1%.

The only reason traffic has and will increase is because people are staying home for the obvious reasons. To suggest that people losing their jobs will result in an online poker boom is ridiculous.

• Options
    I can't even deal with such short sightedness and stupidity right now.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,027
    More people will have more time on their hands, both due to self-isolation and the lack of various forms of entertainment.

Regardless of whether people SHOULD be playing (and let's not forget that 90%-plus are losing players who enjoy it), more people WILL be playing. And people like @Jacquelyn will, perfectly understandably, be looking to take advantage of that.

Poker is, sadly, often about preying on the weak. Like a lot of things in life. Think it is unfair to slate @Jacquelyn for looking at the likeliest short-term solution to his particular situation. Other peoples' morals aren't going to pay the bills.
  • Options

I can't even deal with such short sightedness and stupidity right now.

Yes, sure as ever, im the stupid one. Ok have a nice day babes.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

More people will have more time on their hands, both due to self-isolation and the lack of various forms of entertainment.

Regardless of whether people SHOULD be playing (and let's not forget that 90%-plus are losing players who enjoy it), more people WILL be playing. And people like @Jacquelyn will, perfectly understandably, be looking to take advantage of that.

Poker is, sadly, often about preying on the weak. Like a lot of things in life. Think it is unfair to slate @Jacquelyn for looking at the likeliest short-term solution to his particular situation. Other peoples' morals aren't going to pay the bills.

Thank you Phil,

I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way, never my intention to offend anyone.
  • Options
    memfnomemfno Member Posts: 461
    Sadly increased poker, increased bad beats, increased bog roll requirement! Its all a vicious circle!
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Poker is dog eat dog and I'm really not bothered what happens in that respect.

It's the sweeping statements like 'people losing their jobs will want to gamble' I take umbrage at. Utterly absurd. People who have just lost their income suddenly scouring the website for the best deposit bonus for online poker? Again, utterly absurd.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that there will be an uplift in the numbers for online poker, it's pretty obvious why given what's going on. Even I'm thinking of playing a couple of comps tonight after a weekend twiddling my thumbs at home.

If Jacquelyn had stated winning players initially, then that would have helped. However, winning players are firmly in the minority and players winning enough to support themselves whilst out of work are even further in the minority.

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I cant see any logic in what is being suggested apart from I would like a deposit bonus as a DYM player.

Why would sky give away a load of money like this? For loads of players that have been loyal to sky they get money for playing the same volume. Is a number of factors which influence where players play and you seem to be focusing on one probably small factor, a deposit bonus. Surely players will think about game types, strength of games inc RB, promotions etc etc etc.

• Options
    waller02 said:

Jacquelyn said:

waller02 said:

What % of online poker players make enough money to live on in the event of losing their job? I would say its
    Hardly any - although a steady winning reg, I certainly don't make enough to do it, even when I play full time on here...

That's not really why I posted though - my point is/was that online poker traffic will increase whilst everybody is off work. You can be sure bet365 and other gambling sites will be lapping the opportunity up?
  • Options
    memfno said:

Sadly increased poker, increased bad beats, increased bog roll requirement! Its all a vicious circle!

LOL this actually made me giggle on what has been a horrible day all round for me - thank you.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Hope you find work again soon. GL on the Bet365 grind.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Don't get all the hostility towards Jacquelyn. I will probably be out of a job by the end of the week and been having similar thoughts to her/him. If you are a loser or only play for fun fair enough but obviously someone who grinds a high volume of sng for constant profits is going to have a different outlook. Looking for ways to maximise poker profits when your other income has dried up is common sense.
  • Options
    gregkdy82 said:

Don't get all the hostility towards Jacquelyn. I will probably be out of a job by the end of the week and been having similar thoughts to her/him. If you are a loser or only play for fun fair enough but obviously someone who grinds a high volume of sng for constant profits is going to have a different outlook. Looking for ways to maximise poker profits when your other income has dried up is common sense.

There was a bit of hostility towards him/her as he/she said 'people out of a job will be looking to gamble'.

Which is of course a ridiculous sweeping statement.
    The average poker playing person on the street who, upon losing their job (especially in this climate), is unlikely to be thinking of what deposit bonuses they can claim online now their income has been taken away for an indefinite amount of time.

If Jacquelyn had explained themselves better that they were talking about winning players then that would have helped. However, the number of winning players able to support themselves/family on poker alone is probably few and far between, when talking about replacing a full time guaranteed wage.

For anyone who is unfortunate enough to lose their job but does make a few quid from poker then it only stands to reason that they would focus some time on that whilst the job market is likely to stagnate. I wish anyone in that predicament all the best, as this whole charade is only gonna get worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    I think Jacqueline raises a valid point. I think if there was more certainty as to the future of sky poker then sky would absolutely have conjured up some kind of promotion to steer people looking to play online poker onto the site. For all the ineffective promos they've ran in the past to try and gain and retain players, it seems like a pretty big missed opportunity to sit back and do nothing.

I think sky should probably look to push ukops promos early and run some promos for new players that deposit, maybe giving them a ukops tournament ticket to a cheap event to keep them around. Online poker is going to be one of few industries that really benefits so trying to get people on sky instead of unibet/stars/ party should be a priority.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477

I think Jacqueline raises a valid point. I think if there was more certainty as to the future of sky poker then sky would absolutely have conjured up some kind of promotion to steer people looking to play online poker onto the site. For all the ineffective promos they've ran in the past to try and gain and retain players, it seems like a pretty big missed opportunity to sit back and do nothing.

I think sky should probably look to push ukops promos early and run some promos for new players that deposit, maybe giving them a ukops tournament ticket to a cheap event to keep them around. Online poker is going to be one of few industries that really benefits so trying to get people on sky instead of unibet/stars/ party should be a priority.

I disagree
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Online poker would do better if people had both time and money on their hands. A lot of people are going to have time on their hands, most of those won’t have any money. Enticing them into the world of gambling at such time, when you know the vast majority will end up losers just feels a bit grubby to me.

The whole thread is about one player who either wants a deposit bonus, or wants to entice more people to the site so they can make money from them.

Guessing when the death rate starts to climb we should all be out checking the warm cadavers pockets for short change? Suppose morals are ok as long as society is still kind of functioning, but maybe suboptimal when times get tough.
  • Options
    Just contacted my landlord, informed them that my rent for next month will be paid in increments of £2.50.

Though if I can source an even better deposit bonus then I may be able to push it up to 3 quid.