You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

147 challenge

12346»

Comments

• Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,791
    great results!

WP :)
  • Options
    NoEa5yCa5hNoEa5yCa5h Member Posts: 608

great results!

WP :)

tyty :smile: . I don't think I've had a month like that before, certainly not on here.
  • Options
    147 days are up - challenge over.

To recap, 21 weeks ago I set myself 3 targets, 2 of which I hit.

[-] Play 1,000+ tournaments
    [-] Average ROI of 25%+
    [x] Weigh 159lbs or less (started at 186lbs)

It never looked like, at any point, I was going to hit the weight loss part. The lowest I got to was 177lbs at week 17. Today I weighed in at 180lbs for a total loss of 6lbs. In hindsight I think I should've took the same approach to weight loss as I did with Poker and target a process which could achieve good results, rather than targeting the result.

I hit the poker targets but rather stumbled over the line. According to Sharkscope I played 1,007 tournaments, as can be seen in the below screen shots. The first screen shot was posted on page one of this thread and the second screenshot was taken today. I don't have a subscription to get the exact average ROI but it was 52.5% and is now 76.4%.

You can also see my average stake has dropped in this period. This thread has been a bit of an eye opener. I didn't realise how recording my results on a forum would affect how I tolerate risk. It wasn't my intention to play micro stakes for 1,000+ tournaments. The reason why I did was, these were proving relatively low variance. At the start, I posted my results weekly and having started with a few winning weeks, I didn't want to then post a losing week. I'd be surprised if even the most frequent reader of this thread had noticed I hadn't had a losing week in that period. Yet, several weeks I tailored my buy-ins on a Sunday to ensure I could post a winning week in my update. Nobody reading actually gives a **** whether I was a tenner up or down, but it mattered to me, being able to post the number. It kept the momentum going. It is no coincidence either that my biggest shot takes, 3 x £110 tournaments, occurred on a Sunday, on weeks when I was in profit regardless of the outcome.

Whilst that is arguably a downside to having the thread, I think the upside of having it outweighed it. I am fairly certain I wouldn't have played 1,000+ tournaments had I not started this. Now it has finished I am back to where I was, no real purpose or goal in mind with regards to Poker. Therefore, I wouldn't rule out another 147 day challenge of some sort in the near future.

Below is a graph showing accumulated results week on week.

Thanks to all who have read and posted.

Pete

• Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Exceptional results. GG.
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Week 14/15! Nice challenge, wpwp
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,220

Great work/

I particularly savoured this;

"Yet, several weeks I tailored my buy-ins on a Sunday to ensure I could post a winning week in my update. Nobody reading actually gives a **** whether I was a tenner up or down, but it mattered to me, being able to post the number. It kept the momentum going. It is no coincidence either that my biggest shot takes, 3 x £110 tournaments, occurred on a Sunday, on weeks when I was in profit regardless of the outcome."

It's fascinating how our minds work.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,791
    Great results! Very well done B)
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 935
    Congrats on hitting your poker targets, with some excellent results!

On a related note to some earlier discussions in the thread. John Higgins actually knocked me out of a poker tournament in Glasgow maybe about 10 years ago.

I can't really remember the details, though I had QQ and he had KK, and he was a really tight player. Just sat there not really saying much folding away, so I was expecting him to pretty much flip over what he had at the time.

Good luck with your future endeavours
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

Exceptional results. GG.

tyty :)
  • Options
    SR23 said:

Week 14/15! Nice challenge, wpwp

Thanks, Steve. Yes, that was some week. The highlight being winning the Mini Major on the Sunday.

Good luck on and off the table.
  • Options

Great results! Very well done B)

Cheers! And thank you for the continued support :smile:
  • Options

Congrats on hitting your poker targets, with some excellent results!

On a related note to some earlier discussions in the thread. John Higgins actually knocked me out of a poker tournament in Glasgow maybe about 10 years ago.

I can't really remember the details, though I had QQ and he had KK, and he was a really tight player. Just sat there not really saying much folding away, so I was expecting him to pretty much flip over what he had at the time.

Good luck with your future endeavours

Thanks Dazzman. Good luck with your goals.

Sounds like Higgins' game is similar to when is he on the green baize then - doesn't give much away. Although a lot less skilful, I presume.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Great work/

I particularly savoured this;

"Yet, several weeks I tailored my buy-ins on a Sunday to ensure I could post a winning week in my update. Nobody reading actually gives a **** whether I was a tenner up or down, but it mattered to me, being able to post the number. It kept the momentum going. It is no coincidence either that my biggest shot takes, 3 x £110 tournaments, occurred on a Sunday, on weeks when I was in profit regardless of the outcome."

It's fascinating how our minds work.

Thanks, Tikay. I'd like to think those shot takes show I still have some gamble in me, but I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Very well done Pete - hugely impressive results.

I found it interesting to see you mention how having this diary affected some of your game choices and tolerance for risk. I've done two challenges that I kept track of on here and found 'diary tilt' a significant issue. At the same time, doing these can be great for motivation so it's likely a net positive all thing considered. Would be great to see you do another one :).
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Great results for the poker challenge. Congrats!
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Great results for the poker challenge. Congrats!

Thanks, Cammy.

Good luck with your diary.
  • Options

Very well done Pete - hugely impressive results.

I found it interesting to see you mention how having this diary affected some of your game choices and tolerance for risk. I've done two challenges that I kept track of on here and found 'diary tilt' a significant issue. At the same time, doing these can be great for motivation so it's likely a net positive all thing considered. Would be great to see you do another one :).

Thanks, Dues. To be honest, I am not sure if I have the appetite for the challenge & swings in the higher buy-in games. It was a factor during the challenge, but time will tell if am becoming more risk-averse. I agree the positives outweigh the (arguable) negative overall.

As regards to the bolded part, kind of you to say. I wouldn't rule it in or out.

BTW, I enjoy your stream. I will have it on in the background when playing, but as I've said a few times on here, multi-tabling/tasking is not my forte, and so I will mostly be lurking.