You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who Has Got The Most Reliable Broadband?

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    tai-gar said:

I've got a couple of tins and a long piece of string you can borrow if you get stuck.

Hope the Tinnies are empty :)

Might not be a good idea @tai-gar though, the LAST thing we need is @HAYSIE with Tinnitus :s:D
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,694
    Odd that this topic comes up now when I have just renewed my broadband contract. I have been out of the loop for some time on poker due to everyone at work getting covid and me having to take lots of extra shifts this now no longer applies.

anyway I went with BT and the duel thing which automatically reconnects to secondary internet if dc for any reason. I think this pays for itself as one internet disconnect at the wrong time could potentially cost me a £100 or more.

I guess you could use your phone as a hotspot itself and do the back up thing yourself but the issue with this is that, using that data could cost a lot on your phone bill if it exceeds your allowance etc where as with BT its unlimited.

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,519
    Doubleme said:

Odd that this topic comes up now when I have just renewed my broadband contract. I have been out of the loop for some time on poker due to everyone at work getting covid and me having to take lots of extra shifts this now no longer applies.

anyway I went with BT and the duel thing which automatically reconnects to secondary internet if dc for any reason. I think this pays for itself as one internet disconnect at the wrong time could potentially cost me a £100 or more.

I guess you could use your phone as a hotspot itself and do the back up thing yourself but the issue with this is that, using that data could cost a lot on your phone bill if it exceeds your allowance etc where as with BT its unlimited.

I dont think the point about the data is applicable.
    In my case it has happened 3 times in 3 years.
    The extra cost for the BT unbreakable broadband, may be a grand over the same 3 years.
    I am currently with BT, and the last time it happened, I made a fuss, and they offered me £50.
    This was obviously without paying the extra monthly payments.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Doubleme said:

Also, I currently have unlimited data on my phone.
  • Options
    GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 383
    Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

I think it very much depends on area. Loads moan about Virgin where I am, but I am on superfast broadband (with BT now), and it can be flakey too. It depends a lot on the local infrastructure, and unless you are getting something special, norhing much changes when you change provider.

@Doooobs

Am I right in thinking all the providers use pretty much the same infrastructure, the only real difference is price & customer service?
    Hi @Tikay10 - In terms of national networks there is only BT and Virgin Media, there are certain areas that have there own fibre like Hull (KCOM) and the Channel Islands (Jersey Telecom) where BT nor Virgin Media have no presence (although BT are in parts of Hull now I think). All the other providers like Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet etc all basically use the Openreach network to get from the customer premises to the local exchange, which they will have 'unbundled' and from there they will have big fibre circuits back to Data Centres (Node4, Telecity, Telehouse etc) where they will break out to the Internet.

Sometimes a service might seem poorer from one provider to another due to them not buying enough bandwidth for the backhaul, so I know a few years back in some areas one of the 'other providers' only had 1Gbps circuits for the backhaul back to the Data Centres from some of the BT exchanges, so if you have 500 people sharing that bandwidth, that works out to 2Mbps each if they were all online!

If you type 'cmd' to bring up a command prompt you can type 'tracert 8.8.8.8' to see how you route to google's DNS... if you are bored one day...

Cheers
    Greg.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,217
    GREGSTER said:

Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

I think it very much depends on area. Loads moan about Virgin where I am, but I am on superfast broadband (with BT now), and it can be flakey too. It depends a lot on the local infrastructure, and unless you are getting something special, norhing much changes when you change provider.

@Doooobs

Am I right in thinking all the providers use pretty much the same infrastructure, the only real difference is price & customer service?
    Hi @Tikay10 - In terms of national networks there is only BT and Virgin Media, there are certain areas that have there own fibre like Hull (KCOM) and the Channel Islands (Jersey Telecom) where BT nor Virgin Media have no presence (although BT are in parts of Hull now I think). All the other providers like Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet etc all basically use the Openreach network to get from the customer premises to the local exchange, which they will have 'unbundled' and from there they will have big fibre circuits back to Data Centres (Node4, Telecity, Telehouse etc) where they will break out to the Internet.

Sometimes a service might seem poorer from one provider to another due to them not buying enough bandwidth for the backhaul, so I know a few years back in some areas one of the 'other providers' only had 1Gbps circuits for the backhaul back to the Data Centres from some of the BT exchanges, so if you have 500 people sharing that bandwidth, that works out to 2Mbps each if they were all online!

If you type 'cmd' to bring up a command prompt you can type 'tracert 8.8.8.8' to see how you route to google's DNS... if you are bored one day...

Cheers
    Greg.

@GREGSTER

That's a brilliant reply, thanks. I suspected it was the case but I had no idea of the detail you've now explained.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.
    I pay around £54 per month.
    This gives me the broadband plus free landline calls.
    They want an additional £28 per month for an upgrade to Halo 3+.
    So that is around £82 per month.

I have had a look at Sky.
    They offer 3 packages ranging from £28 to £45 per month.
    Free landline calls at evenings and weekends cost a fiver.

I have got unlimited data on my phone, so I assume the personal hotspot will cost me mothing.

I am tempted to go for the Sky deal at £33 per month, saving me £20 per month on what I am currently paying, and £50 per month compared to the BT upgrade.

I can think of plenty of things I would prefer to do with £50 per month, rather than giving it to BT.

Losing the internet in the latter stages of a tourney is really annoying, but the reality is that it hasnt happened to me that often.

As I said earlier it has happened to me 3 times in 3 years.

I could have avoided it happening at all, had I known about the hotspot.

Saving £1800 on the BT upgrade over a 3 year period in addition to staying connected, would have made me a much happier camper.

There are cheaper deals available from providers I have never heard of.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,107
    GREGSTER said:

Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

@Doooobs

Cheers
    Greg.
    Great explanation, so it's basically the same as the mobile phone networks where you've got all the major players but other companies 'piggy back' on their networks to offer deals ?
  • Options
    GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 383
    lucy4 said:

GREGSTER said:

Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

@Doooobs

Cheers
    Greg.
    Great explanation, so it's basically the same as the mobile phone networks where you've got all the major players but other companies 'piggy back' on their networks to offer deals ?
    I'm not certain on the mobile side of things to be honest. I don't think there is the same concept of 'unbundling', but not sure. I'm off work next week, but will see if I can find out the week after.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,602
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

I have got unlimited data on my phone, so I assume the personal hotspot will cost me mothing.

I am tempted to go for the Sky deal at £33 per month, saving me £20 per month on what I am currently paying, and £50 per month compared to the BT upgrade.

I can think of plenty of things I would prefer to do with £50 per month, rather than giving it to BT.

Losing the internet in the latter stages of a tourney is really annoying, but the reality is that it hasnt happened to me that often.

Saving £1800 on the BT upgrade over a 3 year period in addition to staying connected, would have made me a much happier camper.

If you are out of BT contract then don't just take the upgrade they offer. Look at the special offers on their website it will be much cheaper.

I did this and saved £30 per month.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

If you are out of BT contract then don't just take the upgrade they offer. Look at the special offers on their website it will be much cheaper.

What have you got then?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?
    BT full fibre plus tv package and phone
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    As is mentioned earlier it's largely irrelevant in terms of connection quality, but in terms of after-sales service I have always found Zen Internet to be really good. Not farmed out to another country.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?
    Ok.
    I have just got broadband and landline calls with them.
    If I was to save £30 per month, it would mean getting the halo 3+ package, for less than my current package.

They are offering me 5 different full fibre upgrades at varying prices.

The cheapest package on MoneySuperMarket this morning is with Now broadband and costs £22 for the package I currently have with BT, but with a faster download speed.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?
    Just out of interest, why do you have the tv package with them?
    Arent most of the channels available on Sky?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?
    Ok.
    I have just got broadband and landline calls with them.
    If I was to save £30 per month, it would mean getting the halo 3+ package, for less than my current package.

They are offering me 5 different full fibre upgrades at varying prices.

The cheapest package on MoneySuperMarket this morning is with Now broadband and costs £22 for the package I currently have with BT, but with a faster download speed.

NOW Broadband review: is NOW Broadband any good?
    Owned by Sky
    but with a broadband and TV service that comes in much cheaper, NOW Broadband is now a household name in its own right.

As indicated above, speeds are broadly comparable with most other household-name providers, although there’s no premium ultrafast service

All packages come with anytime calls for the first 12 months. So you’re free to use your landline as much as you like without worrying about racking up excess charges.

NOW Broadband fibre review
    NOW Broadband offers a choice of two fibre packages: Fab Fibre, with speeds of 36Mbps, and Super Fibre, with average speeds of 63Mbps.

NOW Broadband TV review
    NOW Broadband’s TV offering is based on NOW TV Passes, which are flexible add-ons that you can add and subtract simply and easily.

What are the pros and cons of NOW Broadband?
    Still not sure if NOW Broadband is right for you? Read our at-a-glance list of pros and cons to help make up your mind…

Pros
    Very keenly priced with decent speeds
    TV passes offer the best of Sky TV content and are very flexible
    No need to pass a credit check
    12-month contracts means it’s a shorter-term commitment than most rival providers
    Cons
    Unlikely to get any free gifts or vouchers
    Faster broadband is available from other providers
    TV service has excellent content, but can’t compete with the likes of Sky Q and Virgin Media’s TV 360

NOW Broadband
    Super Fibre + Free Anytime Calls
    New customers only
    63Mb
    average* speed
    No
    TV channels
    £5.00
    Setup costs
    month contract
    £22.00

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/providers/reviews/now-broadband/
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

Super Fibre Broadband & an Entertainment Membership for 12 months. Just £29.99 a month.

https://www.nowtv.com/broadband?DCMP=KNC-BrandEE&ds_ag=Now+TV+-+Broadband+-+BMM&ds_kwid=p52959075541&othercookie_id=&ds_rl=1247511&msclkid=cd5f1884d25312464df5798a8af74769&gclid=cd5f1884d25312464df5798a8af74769&gclsrc=3p.ds&nclid=Yqu2lnJFU8_G1EDZp_FETTmYjvNwGFagFvf6vTH7Q_qHz4gPXwb58tLRhtAHimSk
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?
    Had Sky for 30 odd years but they decided last year that they couldn't access my Sky dish for H&S reasons despite the fact that they put it there in the first place.
    Signal was terrible so no alternative but to change.

BT package has the option to add on Sky channels. So Sky dish no good BT comes through aerial pointing in opposite direction and is good. A no brainer for me.

Broadband, phone and tv package together saves money.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?
    Had Sky for 30 odd years but they decided last year that they couldn't access my Sky dish for H&S reasons despite the fact that they put it there in the first place.

BT package has the option to add on Sky channels. So Sky dish no good BT comes through aerial pointing in opposite direction and is good. A no brainer for me.

Makes sense.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?

Makes sense.
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?

I have just done the Now deal.
    That now means that I will pay out a total of £130 per month.
    For Sky TV, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, broadband, free landline calls, and mobile phone.
    This total includes £36 which was the monthly cost of renewing my Iphone the other day, but I am committed to for 24 months.
    I dont care about having the latest phone, so I dont expect to be renewing it again for a while.
    It will be good to knock £36 off the monthlies.
    When I was working my mobile phone cost more than all of it.