You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Video Assistant Referee.

Comments

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    VAR is shite.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,967
    edited November 2020
    Fu ck off VAR you're taking the pi ss now. Leicester v Wolves penalty.
  • ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 903
    That one isn't VAR to blame, it's the stupid handball rule; referee has no option but to give that as a penalty with the current ridiculous rule.
    The referee called it right in real time - no penalty. Then some **** sitting in a studio decides to tell him to have another look at it.The ref is now under pressure so changes his original decision,VAR is to blame. VAR has not enhanced the game despite all the claims that it would.
    Does anyone actually understand the 'Handball' rule nowadays? I know I don't.

• RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    Never thought I'd say this but Blatter was right about one thing. No VAR in the glorious game. If anything it's just becoming more and more of a farce.
    Commentators laugh at the absurdity of VAR as Willian Jose’s goal for Wolves vs Fulham is ruled out.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/04/09/video-commentators-laugh-at-the-absurdity-of-var-as-willian-joses-goal-for-wolves-vs-fulham-is-ruled-out/
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,957
    edited April 2021
    Interesting comment during that game.

Apparently, someone called Arsene Wenger (no, me neither :)) is involved with the review of VAR.

His suggestion is along the lines of Cricket. To overrule the referee, all of the attacker must beyond the defender.

Not sure it is the answer-but it is certainly interesting.

More so than the other suggestion-that offside decisions be fully automated, and ref told what to do all the time.
    edited April 2021
    I know I've said it before. but I'm going to say it again.

The primary fault is not VAR. It is that the laws keep changing, so no-one knows where they are.

So-defender needs to touch it-or merely try to? If 2 experienced commentators don't know, something is very wrong.
    Which parts of a player count for offside-seen many goals scored by an armpit?

Rules need clarification.

PS-to clarify, it is the part of the body that most score with, not the individual. So Andy Carroll couldn't claim his feet don't count for offside :)
    edited April 2021
    Weird game.

The Fulham penalty was a dive. And I'm a Spurs fan :)

The Arsenal goal would have been disallowed until the rule changes this year. Cos a guy advancing on the goalie from about 2 feet isn't interfering with play any more, even if it is he that forces the GK to push it into the path of the scorer.
    Fast Forward to Euro 20/21 and VAR is doing exactly what it was meant to do. Which leads me to the fact that the Premier League's VAR team are over overzealous,incompetent,attention seeking arseoles. VAR is a good idea IF implemented properly.
  • chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Should VAR have not ruled out the first French goal?
    For being such poor quality by Professionals.
    Shin to shin.
    Three seasons after VAR was first introduced to The Premier League and we are still seeing decisions like this on a regular basis. What good is an apology to Everton 3 days after the event?

Three years on from the introduction of VAR and we're still seeing dubious decisions week in week out,when used and monitored correctly VAR is an asset to the game. Some of today's decisions leave a lot to be desired,that suggests it's the operators who are at fault and not VAR itself.
    Lee Mason is dropped from VAR duty for this week's Premier League matches after his blatant error cost Newcastle a winner against Crystal Palace by ruling out Tyrick Mitchell's own goal.

Newcastle and West Ham had goals controversially ruled out at the weekend.

Sources close to PGMOL acknowledged mistakes were made in both instances.

Video Referee Lee Mason has not been selected for VAR duties in the next round of Premier League fixtures after Newcastle had a goal controversially disallowed against Crystal Palace.

The goal, which would have been a winner in the 0-0 draw, was initially given by on-field referee Michael Salisbury, but was later overturned after Mason recommended that he reviewed the incident on the VAR monitor.

The goal was then chalked off for a perceived foul by Joe Willock on Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita in the build-up.

The Professional Game Match Officials’ Board (PGMOL) admitted mistakes had been made in both the Newcastle game and Chelsea's clash with West Ham, where Maxwel Cornet's late would-be equaliser was ruled out after a VAR check.