You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 904
    Jac35 said:

My quick count gave me:

121 in Scotland
    2 in England
    18 in Spain
    13 in Portugal

So a grand total of 154 in 4 countries; not bad but not quite @HENDRIK62 -esque!

That’s a lot
    I’d bet i’ve missed one or two somewhere but i’d still get nowhere near that
    You probably have missed the odd one as well.

Those countries too for me plus Wales, Ireland and Tunisia

You’d be well placed as well as Neil to recommend for Scotland then for next trip

I’ve played

Kilspindie
    North Berwick
    Glen
    Dunbar
    Longnidary (sp)
    Gullane 2 and 3
    Whitekirk
    Braid Hills
    Turnberry Ailsa
    Turnberry Kintyre (Robert the Bruce)
    Kilmarnock
    Durness
    Brora
    Reay
    Craigielaw
    You can put me up to at least 155 as I'd missed Whitekirk, it closed a few years ago so wasn't on the list of courses I checked against!

Looks like you've done most of East Lothian, and a few up north too. Although I'm more East than West (I stay in Livingston) I'd recommend going over to the west coast; Irvine Bogside, Dundonald, Barassie (which I assume is Kilmarnock), the 2 Gailes courses, Prestwick Old, Prestwick St Nicholas, West Kilbride, Royal Troon, Troon Welbeck are all good. You could also take the ferry from Ardrossan over to Arran, 7 courses on the island and although they're not the longest they're a decent test and some of the views are spectacular.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,571

Really enjoying this golf chat, hope it continues.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Tikay10 said:

Agree.
    Much better than my first bucket of balls of the year at the range yesterday.
    I ache.
    I'm old.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477

Tikay10 said:

Agree.
    Much better than my first bucket of balls of the year at the range yesterday.
    I ache.
    I'm old.
    Exactly the same
    It was only 60 balls. Neck hurts, chest hurts
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Ok
    To all

Your top 5 courses played
    Best round
    Worst round

My favourite courses would probably change each time I think of it. But I’ll go with

Palmares Portugal
    Nefyn Wales
    Dunbar Scotland
    Beau Desert
    Brabazon, Belfry

Best - 66 to win a club major. Only time I’ve shot under par in a comp

Worst - Ailsa. Turnberry. The course battered me, I was dreadful. Annoyingly the day before I’d played real well on the 2nd course there.

Also, losing to an older chap with one arm in a scratch match at Alfreton Golf Club (Don’t go there, it’s a shocker)

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    edited February 2023
    Had a lot of 'FUN FUN FUN' trying to remember all the courses I've played :)

..... and by the time I had got a list of pretty much all of them, the threads moved on a bit, so I will have to add posts later.

But for now I've played 228 courses in just 8 countries (and that's counting The Canaries as a Country, and not Spain ! )

ENGLAND ......... 137

SCOTLAND ....... 17 (I thought it was more tbh)

WALES .............. 10

SPAIN ............... 18

PORTUGAL ....... 17

CANARIES ........ 3

U S A ............... 24

BERMUDA ........ 2

PS ....... SHERWOOD FOREST is a GREAT course ...similar to HOLLINWELL. You will LOVE it Paul, especially if you hit the ball that far with a 7-iron ;)
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,149
    Jac35 said:

Sherwood Forest is that good?

Looking forward to it even more now

Its lovely, you'll really enjoy those tight fairways with your accurate driving :wink:
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Jac35 said:

Its lovely, you'll really enjoy those tight fairways with your accurate driving :wink:
    Yeh .......you might need to take an AXE with you :D
  • Options
    Favourite Golf Courses I've played .....Sorry I had to have more than 5)

1. MUIRFIELD
    2. PEBBLE BEACH
    3. ROYAL BIRKDALE
    4. NORTH BERWICK
    5. WENTWORTH
    6. ROYAL LYTHAM & ST. ANNES
    7. ROYAL TROON
    8. THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY
    9. WOODHALL SPA
    10. DUNBAR
    11. ROYAL ST. DAVIDS
    12. HOLLINWELL
    13. GANTON
    14. GOSWICK
    15. HILLSIDE
    16. SUNNINGDALE
    17. ST GEORGES HILL
    18. ROYAL LIVERPOOL
    19. LINDRICK
    20. HALLAMSHIRE .....I had to put it in my Top 20 'coz that's where I grew up caddying, playing and practising Dawn 'til Dusk/Dark

I'm sure CYPRESS POINT would have been in there. I had a tee time and everything booked, but my American (6-month) Visa would have run out before I got to play it.

....and ROYAL ST. GEORGES would have definitely been in there .....if I'd qualified to play in the Open there. I saw it from over the fence at Princes, which is where I had my worst ever round

Best round was 68 (-3) at North Berwick, though 73 (+2) at MUIRFIELD was probably just as good :)

Best shot .......Hole-in-One at 7th at PEBBLE BEACH (thin-ish brag!!)

LOVELY Memories ........ Cheers Paul @Jac35
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Jac35 said:

I’ve been watching a lot of Rick Shiels stuff on Youtube recently. Really enjoyable
    Crail is now on the bucket list and

Hadn't played golf for about 15 years and started watching Rick Sheils and other golf channels on YouTube about a year ago and was inspired to go out and get a new set of clubs and get back out playing again. I have been thoroughly enjoying the game again and been enjoying trying out all the courses local to where I now stay as I've moved to a different part of the country since I stopped playing and have been trying to decide which course to become a member of.

Originally I am from Fife and can confirm that Crail is indeed fantastic the village itself and both courses. Played most of the many courses in Fife except from the St'Andrews ones and there are some real hidden gems.Not having one course from Fife on your list of played courses is disgraceful jac35. I remember before you said you had a trip planned to play Kingsbarns what happened to that? Pretty sure at the time I recommended Ladybank and Elie as other courses you should play while you were in the Kingdom. I saw Sheils also done a video from Elie on his channel. I would say Elie, Ladybank, Leven Links, Balbirnie Park and Aberdour are my favourites of the courses I have played. Lundin Links would probably be the best course I played but I hated it, was much too hard a course for a golfer of my ability though it was a very windy day I played there.
  • Options
    gregkdy82 said:

Jac35 said:

I’ve been watching a lot of Rick Shiels stuff on Youtube recently. Really enjoyable
    Crail is now on the bucket list and

Hadn't played golf for about 15 years and started watching Rick Sheils and other golf channels on YouTube about a year ago and was inspired to go out and get a new set of clubs and get back out playing again. I have been thoroughly enjoying the game again and been enjoying trying out all the courses local to where I now stay as I've moved to a different part of the country since I stopped playing and have been trying to decide which course to become a member of.

Originally I am from Fife and can confirm that Crail is indeed fantastic the village itself and both courses. Played most of the many courses in Fife except from the St'Andrews ones and there are some real hidden gems.Not having one course from Fife on your list of played courses is disgraceful jac35. I remember before you said you had a trip planned to play Kingsbarns what happened to that? Pretty sure at the time I recommended Ladybank and Elie as other courses you should play while you were in the Kingdom. I saw Sheils also done a video from Elie on his channel. I would say Elie, Ladybank, Leven Links, Balbirnie Park and Aberdour are my favourites of the courses I have played. Lundin Links would probably be the best course I played but I hated it, was much too hard a course for a golfer of my ability though it was a very windy day I played there.
    Disgraceful! :)

Yeah, we were going to Kingsbarns. It was during covid and shortly after we’d booked they contacted us to say that they now couldn’t accommodate us
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Had a lot of 'FUN FUN FUN' trying to remember all the courses I've played :)

..... and by the time I had got a list of pretty much all of them, the threads moved on a bit, so I will have to add posts later.

But for now I've played 228 courses in just 8 countries (and that's counting The Canaries as a Country, and not Spain ! )

ENGLAND ......... 137

SCOTLAND ....... 17 (I thought it was more tbh)

WALES .............. 10

SPAIN ............... 18

PORTUGAL ....... 17

CANARIES ........ 3

U S A ............... 24

BERMUDA ........ 2

PS ....... SHERWOOD FOREST is a GREAT course ...similar to HOLLINWELL. You will LOVE it Paul, especially if you hit the ball that far with a 7-iron ;)

Nope
    You’re not having the Canaries as a country

Good list though :)
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Ok
    To all

Best round
    Worst round

My favourite courses would probably change each time I think of it. But I’ll go with

Palmares Portugal
    Nefyn Wales
    Dunbar Scotland
    Beau Desert
    Brabazon, Belfry

Worst - Ailsa. Turnberry. The course battered me, I was dreadful. Annoyingly the day before I’d played real well on the 2nd course there.

Also, losing to an older chap with one arm in a scratch match at Alfreton Golf Club (Don’t go there, it’s a shocker)

@Jac35 quick answer as I'm supposed to be working.....

Courses

Loch Lomond
    Quinta do Lago South course (Portugal)
    PGA Catalunya (Spain)
    Rosemount (Blairgowrie)
    Prestwick (Old)
    Uphall (my home course for 30+ years so has to get a mention!)

Best round - 64 (-5) at Uphall back in 2009, was off 4 at the time and my net 60 won the comp by 5 shots. Got as low as 1.8, and won my club championship twice (2012 & 2013), have since had 2 kids and don't play as much, currently playing off 4.3; I have a younger brother who's a scratch golfer but only won his 1st club championship last year. I've also had 7 holes in 1 over the years, all at Uphall.

Worst round - I shot 147 in my 1st ever Boys Open at Uphall aged 12; more recently a 90 round 1 of the Archerfield courses springs to mind. I have had a few early walk-offs after 3 or 4 holes after dreadful starts over the years too!

All I have time for at the moment.... :)
  • Options
    About 20 years ago I played in a pro-am at Uphall with a (then) fairly young pro from a course in Edinburgh; I remember it because the pro shot level par 69 with 6 pars, 6 birdies & 6 bogies. I have subsequently found out that the pro in question was @HENDRIK62 , obviously long before either of us knew each other on here! Think I told him that story last year.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Ok
    To all

Best round
    Worst round

Palmares Portugal
    Nefyn Wales
    Dunbar Scotland
    Beau Desert
    Brabazon, Belfry

@Jac35 quick answer as I'm supposed to be working.....

Courses

Loch Lomond
    Quinta do Lago South course (Portugal)
    PGA Catalunya (Spain)
    Rosemount (Blairgowrie)
    Prestwick (Old)
    Uphall (my home course for 30+ years so has to get a mention!)

Best round - 64 (-5) at Uphall back in 2009, was off 4 at the time and my net 60 won the comp by 5 shots. Got as low as 1.8, and won my club championship twice (2012 & 2013), have since had 2 kids and don't play as much, currently playing off 4.3; I have a younger brother who's a scratch golfer but only won his 1st club championship last year. I've also had 7 holes in 1 over the years, all at Uphall.

Worst round - I shot 147 in my 1st ever Boys Open at Uphall aged 12; more recently a 90 round 1 of the Archerfield courses springs to mind. I have had a few early walk-offs after 3 or 4 holes after dreadful starts over the years too!

All I have time for at the moment.... :)
    Thanks for that, Andy. Amazing stuff

I could never get that low
    My best was 5.3
    I was off 10 when i shot the 66. A friend told me that another guy had asked him what i’d scored. When he said 66 he replied that he was still leading with his 63. My mate replied ‘no, gross’
    Net 56 to win a major raised a few eyebrows
    I then shot level in my next two comps and was very quickly down to 5.
    Worst golfing decision of my life then happened. I got lessons. With a number of different pros.I thought maybe with a bit of help i could get very low. I’d always had a somewhat agricultural swing and all i ever thought about was how far i could hit it. After lessons i had to think. My swing was different every round and I could never get back to what had got me low in the first place.
    I went about it the wrong way for sure.
    I managed to keep at single figures barring one round off 10.
    Now i’m 7 dead which makes me 8 or 9 depending on the course i’m playing.

With a swing like mine you have to be playing regularly and that’s not possible these days

I can only remember walking off once. 9th green and i felt something go in my back. Well, that’s what i told my playing partners. I think i’d shot a 45 for the front 9. Would have been many more but guilt in slowing my partners down always stopped me. I get some odd looks when i say i’m on tilt after a 6 6 start to a round.

My mate is frustrating. He’s in his 50s and was an assistant pro when 18. He packed up golf completely when his wife got pregnant and got himself a job that paid better. He didn’t play for 20 years and then when round in 71 first round back. Total natural. Hovers between. 2 and 3 handicap

What are your thoughts on the new handicap system? I can see the logic but i just prefer it the old way.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Jac35 said:

Yeh .......you might need to take an AXE with you :D
    @Jac35

I like the new profile piccy Paul....... A SWORD will do just as well as an AXE in the trees of Sherwood Forest :D
  • Options
    edited February 2023

About 20 years ago I played in a pro-am at Uphall with a (then) fairly young pro from a course in Edinburgh; I remember it because the pro shot level par 69 with 6 pars, 6 birdies & 6 bogies. I have subsequently found out that the pro in question was @HENDRIK62 , obviously long before either of us knew each other on here! Think I told him that story last year.

That’s sort of inconsistently consistent :)
    Neil may have been known to tilt on the golf course
    I played with him at Scarborough a few years ago. He played well but on a short par 3 he hit the ball further left than you’d believe possible off the tee
    Initial outburst and then it was very quiet on the walk to the green where he’d hit his second ball :)
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I’m off work this week so i’ve got all the time in the world

My top 5 would probably have to find a place for Ganton and Thurlestone

Picking the lad up from school now and we’re going go karting. A little nervous. His Mum isn’t keen

May suffer a bit more poker tonight
  • Options
    Just remembered The Addington, Coombe Hill, Letham Grange (now closed) and Blackheath, so another 4 :-)

Like @Jac35 my favourites change constantly

No order as that is just too difficult as is narrowing it down to five

Ardfin (Scotland)
    Rosemount (Scotland)
    Carnegie Club (Scotland)
    Las Brisas (spain)
    Forest of Arden (England)
    Langley Park (England)
    Birkdale (England)
    Sultan (Turkey)
    Terre Blanche (France)
    Doral (US)
    probably Loch Lomond as well but I have only played it once and it rained so that spoiled it a wee bit.

this will likely be different next week.

Best round 66 (-7) Letham Grange followed by a 77 the next day (story of my career :smiley: )

Most frustrating round was in a one day pro am at Torrance house GC started - eagle, birdie, birdie, par, eagle, birdie and then folded like a deck chair and finished -1

Worst round, Ive had so many but one sticks in my mind, representing Scotland in an event at St Andrews on the Castle Course I had 86 coming back in 10 over :blush: in my defence it was quite a windy day :

• Options

Pretty sure we spoke about on a table some time, how's your clubhouse coming along, I really am so out of touch.
    I also intend to play a bit more again this coming year.