You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,107
    My biggest mistake was betting on Arsenal to win the league, insists Ivan Toney.

With news emerging earlier that Toney has been suspended from playing for eight months due to breaking betting rules, the striker has admitted his deep regret at his actions, especially for betting on Arsenal to win the Premier League.
  • Options
    Manchester City launch legal action against Premier League charges amid claims of Arsenal bias.

Manchester City have launched legal action against the Premier League and demanded that the head of the independent judiciary panel be changed amid claims he could be biased towards Arsenal.

Pep Guardiola’s side, who are on course for a historic treble as things stand, have also made unwanted history by being charged with 115 breaches of financial fair play across a 10 year period, it was revealed in February.

“Man City have been charged with breaking the Premier League’s financial fair play rules around 100 times over a nine-year period, which starts in 2009 and goes on until 2018″, Sky Sports reported at the time.

City hit back, claiming that they were shocked at the allegations, and now with their talking done on the pitch, they seem ready to challenge the charges.

That is according to the Times, who report that ‘City have raised the dispute in relation to recent changes in the Premier League’s rules, arguing that they should not apply to investigations into alleged rule breaches before then’.

That is not their only issue, with the club taking objection to the man currently set to take charge of proceedings, Murray Rosen KC, because he is self described as a “member of the MCC and Arsenal FC”.

Arsenal, of course, have been Manchester City’s most fierce challengers this season, even though they now look set to finish a somewhat distant second after a poor run of results that saw them lose 3-0 to Brighton most recently.

However, the reigning and soon to be three-time in a row Premier League champions clearly feel that his affiliation with the north London club could represent a conflict of interests, though the Gunners had little impact on the Premier League during the seasons for which City have so far been charged.

No decision is expected to be taken quickly. In fact, it is added that any outcome will not be decided for between two and four years, with plenty of hoops and contested charges to go through before then.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,653
    Sheff Wed extra time after being 4 down , am going bed now i'll find out tomorrow
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Sheff Wed extra time after being 4 down , am going bed now i'll find out tomorrow

Unreal result so far.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

I'm not a fan of the play offs, they're ok for entertainment but for example Sheff Wed finished the season 19 points ahead of Peterborough, how fair is that.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited May 2023
    was going to post this before......but POSH scored......

GOOD LUCK OWLS, :)o:)

.......... FROM Sporting Life tips

There’s no overstating the difficulty of the monumental task lying before Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough on Thursday night after their first-leg capitulation away to Peterborough.

Simply put, no team in the Football League play-offs has ever overturned a three-goal deficit from the first leg – never mind a four-goal disadvantage.

It’s bordering on the impossible and Posh followers have probably already booked their trains and hotels for the final at Wembley at the end of the month.

They are a best-priced 1/25 to qualify while you can get 16/1 on the Owls coming back from the dead and somehow turning this tie around.
  • Options
    BOOOOooooooooooooooooommmmmmMMMMMMMM !!!!!!! (Sorry TiKay!) :)
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4 said:
    he was probably running down to the Ground at half-time ...... with a sellotaped ticket :D
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,108
    L know it is premature to talk about next season.

But it is never too early to think about odds and value. Here are Skybet's odds for Top 4 next season:-

https://m.nicerodds.co.uk/english-premier-league-top4

Makes for interesting reading. In short, top 4 looks like Man City nailed on, plus 3 from 5 (in order)-Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle. 2 outsiders-Spurs, Brighton. Rest nowhere.

My thoughts? Liverpool, Man Utd & Newcastle look the value. With Aston Villa as a 16/1 longshot.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    West Ham fan 'Knollsy' fights back tears after club arrange ticket for European final.

The heroic West Ham supporter dubbed ‘the Angel of Alkmaar’ has been rewarded for his bravery with a ticket to next month’s Europa Conference final.

Chris Knoll, better known as ‘Knollsy’ became an internet sensation last week when footage of him fighting off AZ Alkmaar hooligans went viral. The Hammers fan was in attendance for last week’s second leg in the Netherlands when trouble flared following Pablo Fornals’ late winner.

A group of masked home fans attempted to make their way towards a section filled with family and friends of the West Ham squad. However, Knollsy helped fend off the troublemakers earning the acclaim of both fans and now the club themselves.

The 58-year-old was like many thousands of West Ham fans desperately trying to get their hands on a ticket for the final with Fiorentina in Prague. But in an interview with the Daily Mail he has confirmed a club official has now made his dream come true.

“I am at work and when I got the call today, I nearly cried. I am, so pleased, so happy. I am made up,” he explained. “She said she was sitting two rows behind me and saw what happened. She said I had been very courageous and that I deserved a ticket.

“It's ironic that she was the one who phoned me today. I remember joking with her earlier about whether she could get me a ticket if we got to the final. “I know how difficult it is to get a ticket. I am so happy at this.”

Knollsy was the toast of the Hammers faithful this weekend, and was given a standing ovation during the club’s final Premier League game of the season.

Supporters sang: "We love you Knollsy, we do," as he took his seat in the arena ahead of the clash with Sam Allardyce's Leeds side.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,525
  • Options
    Premier League's dirtiest teams revealed in disciplinary charts for 2022/23.

The Premier League's disciplinary chart for 2022/23 can now be revealed, with the season nearing its conclusion.

Numbers from the official Premier League site have been collated by the Mirror – and it is Wolves who have been in referees' bad books more than any other team this past season.

Julen Lopetegui's players have been shown six red cards this season, which is a far cry from some other teams (West Ham, Arsenal, Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton and Nottingham Forest) who haven't had a man sent off in the whole campaign.

Wolves' red card figure is twice the next highest, with Leeds, Crystal Palace, Chelsea and Tottenham all receiving three red cards apiece this term.

Casemiro was the recipient of Manchester United's only two red cards this season, having never previously been shown a straight red in a decade playing for Real Madrid.

Meanwhile, it was no surprise to see City and Arsenal towards the bottom of the disciplinary table, with the style of football played by Pep Guardiola and Mikel Arteta's sides lending itself to having possession rather than trying to wrestle the other team off the ball.

West Ham, however, are a surprise as the 'cleanest' team in the division, having only picked up 43 yellow cards all season and no reds. Nottingham Forest picked up the most yellows without a single red – nearly twice as many as the Hammers, with 82.

The Mirror assigned two points for a red card and one for a yellow when assembling their table, which reads as follows:

1. Wolves – 84 yellows, six reds

2. Leeds – 81 yellows, three reds

3. Crystal Palace – 80 yellows, three reds

4. Chelsea– 76 yellows, three reds

5. Everton – 78 yellows, two reds

6. Nottingham Forest – 82 yellows, no red

7. Tottenham – 75 yellows, three reds

8. Manchester United – 76 yellows, two reds

9. Fulham – 78 yellows, one red

10. Aston Villa – 76 yellows, one red

11. Southampton – 73 yellows, no red

12. Bournemouth – 66 yellows, no red

13. Newcastle – 62 yellows, one red

14. Leicester – 58 yellows, two reds

15. Liverpool – 55 yellows, one red

16. Brentford – 51 yellows, one red

17. Brighton – 53 yellows, no red

18. Arsenal – 52 yellows, no red

19. Man City – 43 yellows, one red

20. West Ham – 43 yellows, no red
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    End of the season £212 profit for ma football trading, tried a wee bit of layin the winner of the 1st set in tennis if they were the underdog, came oot about evens doin that, didn't really enjoy it.
    Decide to go out with a bang, ah bet it all on Ross County @5/4, they had to get something oot of the game v St Johnstone who were playin for nowt, put it on early in the mornin had a few shandies waitin for the Gers game, watchin the Gers game they announced the scores in the other games, Ross Co 0 - 2, ah had forgot all about it, went to cash oot, boom they scored, decided to wait, 10 mins later, boom 2 - 2.
    What to do, cash oot for a wee loss or let it ride, let it ride it is, 90th minute 3 - 2, looks at the cash oot £183, will ah leave it running for an extra £33, just at that moment Hearts score to make it 2 - 2 with Rangers, so ah went over to the telly to see the goal, by the time ah had sat back doon at the PC, 3 - 3 ffs, ah don't know why ah didn't cash oot, 99% of the time ah cash oot before the end.
    Am sure there's a moral in there somewhere but ah can't see it.