You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

At least two people said to have declined resignation honours from Liz Truss

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,842
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Here's 2 radical thoughts:-

1. If you want Nadine Dorries to give up her duly elected position, how about offering her a Peerage in return for her Resignation?

I that ship has sailed.

3. Any chance of spending a couple of minutes of your precious time running the country, as opposed to slagging off people in your own Party? We are facing a massive cost of living crisis. Massive inflation. Strikes everywhere.

He could call a General Election. He could withdraw the Whip from people who dare to criticise him.

Or he could just resign now. He wouldn't be the first in this Parliament. Or even the second. Or he can wait for the Country to force his resignation at the ballot box.

Not a fan then.
    The Party put their faith in Liz Truss over him.

Need I say more?
    She is also deluded.

Nadine Dorries backtracks on resignation as she demands answers about peerage

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/nadine-dorries-backtracks-on-resignation-as-she-demands-answers-about-peerage/ar-AA1czzvf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4fb769595cdd4fbf9565f3e838e31016&ei=81

edited June 2023
    Boris Johnson sees truth as a silly detail for lesser mortals

Perhaps the most shocking statement made during the latest phase of the Boris Johnson saga came from Rishi Sunak. The prime minister said in an interview that during a recent meeting with his predecessor to discuss the question of peerages, Johnson asked him to intervene with the appointments committee overseeing the process. Sunak said he had refused. Why? Johnson was asking him to do something that was not right, so he said no.

Once, that statement — the request was wrong, so I said no — would have been unremarkable coming from a leader. Yet after the events of the past few years it was almost startling and cheering to hear someone in a position of authority restate such a simple, reassuring truth.

Johnson denied that he had made such a request but he would say that, wouldn’t he? He denies anything and everything, always, no matter how heavy the weight of evidence. Even if there is television footage of him saying the opposite, he’ll shake that mop of blond hair and declare black to be white or white to be black.

When asked on camera if the Brexit deal he had negotiated would mean goods checks and paperwork between Britain and Northern Ireland, he flatly denied it. Either he had not read his own deal or he had misrepresented it to bluster his way through a tricky encounter. It was entirely typical. Throughout his career he has done this and got away with it. Not any longer.

The verdict of the privileges committee that he deliberately misled parliament is ruinous for his damaged reputation. Officials tried to warn him not to claim in the Commons that Covid guidance was followed in No 10. He went ahead and did it anyway. At any point in the days after he misled the Commons, Johnson could have returned and said that if he had, unwittingly perhaps, misled MPs or given a misleading impression, then he of course apologised to the House. He did not. It is as though the truth is an irrelevance for him, a silly detail obsessed over by lesser mortals.

Following the report’s publication he has continued to behave with no humility. He rails against critics, like a spoilt child incapable of accepting responsibility for having disgraced the office he once held. A former aide put it well yesterday: “There’s only so far the credibility bungee stretches before snapping — and for Boris it’s just gone ping. His words betray political antennae gone seriously wrong but it’s entirely predictable given the limited company he now keeps.”

There are complaints that the 90-day punishment is harsh. Perhaps, but this is the parliamentary system purging itself and moving on after a long period of disruption.

Although it will not make parliament perfect this is the end of a terrible era. The three leaders representing the Tories, Labour and the SNP at the last election — Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon — have all gone in disgrace.

In the end, those who said he could not change, that character is destiny, were right. Those of us who hoped that the responsibility of the highest office would prompt him to grow up, were wrong. Now he is gone from parliament, thank goodness. There will be successful books and amusing scribblings aplenty. But his prime ministerial career is history.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-sees-truth-as-a-silly-detail-for-lesser-mortals-fdbdxf9j3
    Essexphil said:

On a humorous note-and goodness knows we could do with one-here is a fascinating fact about Bernard Jenkin, MP.

No, not his alleged racist comments. Nor his large "fine" in relation to his fiddling of MP expenses, which his Daddy (Patrick Jenkin) had to pay for him.

It's this. He has known the screenwriter Richard Curtis, for many years. And Mr Curtis always includes a character called "Bernard" in everything he writes.

Partygate committee 'hypocrite' Bernard Jenkin is an enthusiastic nudist who married ex-girlfriend of Four Weddings writer Richard Curtis - who has since 'got his revenge' by putting bumbling Bernards in nearly all his scripts

Sir Bernard Jenkins was one of the cross-party MPs chosen to examine whether Boris Johnson, who resigned from his MP position on Friday, had misled Parliament during his reign

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12199851/Partygate-hypocrite-Bernard-Jenkin-enthusiastic-nudist-married-Richard-Curtis-ex.html
    Essexphil said:

Here's 2 radical thoughts:-

1. If you want Nadine Dorries to give up her duly elected position, how about offering her a Peerage in return for her Resignation?
    2. Any chance of spending a couple of minutes of your precious time running the country, as opposed to slagging off people in your own Party? We are facing a massive cost of living crisis. Massive inflation. Strikes everywhere.

He could call a General Election. He could withdraw the Whip from people who dare to criticise him.

Or he could just resign now. He wouldn't be the first in this Parliament. Or even the second. Or he can wait for the Country to force his resignation at the ballot box.

Anger as Nadine Dorries fails to speak in Commons for 343 days
    Critics insist Dorries, who says she plans to quit as an MP after being overlooked for a peerage, should 'step aside now'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/anger-nadine-dorries-fails-speak-151754122.html
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355
    These **** are an embarrassment, British politics has shrunk to an all time low.
    edited June 2023
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,501
    HAYSIE said:

There is another side to that Times story.

The Government are refusing to hand over Boris Johnson's notebooks to Boris Johnson. This is not because of these "trumped up" (and the pun is deliberate) security fears.

It is because the Government and the Cabinet Office have refused to hand over a whole load of stuff to the Covid enquiry. And have gone to Court to try and prevent a whole load of stuff being revealed.

A major part of the info the Government is refusing to hand over are Johnson's notebooks and diaries. The reason they are refusing to hand them to Boris Johnson is that Boris has said he would promptly hand them over to the Enquiry.

Nice to see we now have a new era of honesty and accountability in British politics.

Not.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

The Government are refusing to hand over Boris Johnson's notebooks to Boris Johnson. This is not because of these "trumped up" (and the pun is deliberate) security fears.

It is because the Government and the Cabinet Office have refused to hand over a whole load of stuff to the Covid enquiry. And have gone to Court to try and prevent a whole load of stuff being revealed.

A major part of the info the Government is refusing to hand over are Johnson's notebooks and diaries. The reason they are refusing to hand them to Boris Johnson is that Boris has said he would promptly hand them over to the Enquiry.

Nice to see we now have a new era of honesty and accountability in British politics.

Not.
    I am not sure how anyone can retain any faith in British politics, while there is still support for Boris Johnson.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Not.
    I am not sure how anyone can retain any faith in British politics, while there is still support for Boris Johnson.
    We have swapped a bad liar for a better liar.

One who stitches up his political rivals, rather than deal with the nation's problems. One who believes he alone sets 5 tests for "success". Reminding me of Catherine Tate:-"I'm going to solve World hunger. All by myself".

We have an Enquiry, set up by the Government, to try and learn from the Covid pandemic. What we did right. What we did wrong. What, with the benefit of hindsight, we could do better should it happen again.

But the only people obstructing this are the current Government. Who apparently know better than the head of the enquiry what the head of the enquiry may consider relevant. Know better than people who write contemporaneous accounts as to whether they should be given to the enquiry.

Try replacing "Boris Johnson" with "Boris Johnson, and every senior Member of his Cabinet"
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,683

Boris Johnson is to write for the Daily Mail.

The former politician is to use his special brand of fact-free verbosity to agitate the credulous morons who still buy the newspaper or believe what they read on the website.

Johnson is one of the biggest names in high-profile bulls hit, and a bidding war was expected amongst all the god-awful media empires you are currently picturing – but the Daily Mail was victorious in securing his services.

A spokesperson for the Daily Mail told us, “Boris Johnson is the most high-profile liar in the country, and as such, he is perfect for us.

“We pride ourselves on our ability to disseminate mistruths and falsehoods, and we’re confident we are perfectly placed to bring Boris’s special brand of bulls hit into every home in the country.

“Boris has been fired twice as a journalist for lying, and how he’s been kicked out of parliament for lying, but here at the Daily Mail, he can make up whatever nonsense he likes, and we’ll happily print it. There will be no sanctions for lying. In fact, he’ll be in trouble if he doesn’t start making stuff up to anger our readers and drive rage clicks to our website.”

Boris Johnson said, “I am delighted to join the Daily Mail family, and this is definitely the place I wanted to find myself working in the summer 2023.

“Rest assured, that is just the first of many lies I will tell in my new column.”

https://newsthump.com/2023/06/16/****-to-write-****-in-shitrag/
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906

@lucy4

Ha, that's wayyyyyyyyy too good.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Not.

One who stitches up his political rivals, rather than deal with the nation's problems. One who believes he alone sets 5 tests for "success". Reminding me of Catherine Tate:-"I'm going to solve World hunger. All by myself".

We have an Enquiry, set up by the Government, to try and learn from the Covid pandemic. What we did right. What we did wrong. What, with the benefit of hindsight, we could do better should it happen again.

But the only people obstructing this are the current Government. Who apparently know better than the head of the enquiry what the head of the enquiry may consider relevant. Know better than people who write contemporaneous accounts as to whether they should be given to the enquiry.

Try replacing "Boris Johnson" with "Boris Johnson, and every senior Member of his Cabinet"
    Ah, a covid enquiry that’s going to take 3 years 🙄 and cost quite a lot .

I had a go at the questions I my linch break at work

1 - Not a lot, maybe lockdowns.

2 - Quite a lot, lying to the public about having parties is near the top of the list , alongside handing mates contracts for PPE.

3- Not do any of the above.

Job done.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    Lol at my Freudian spelling mistakes ^
    tomgoodun said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Not.

Ah, a covid enquiry that’s going to take 3 years 🙄 and cost quite a lot .

I had a go at the questions I my linch break at work

1 - Not a lot, maybe lockdowns.

2 - Quite a lot, lying to the public about having parties is near the top of the list , alongside handing mates contracts for PPE.

3- Not do any of the above.

Job done.
    3 years before we start doing anything. Then another 3 to actually come up with anything. Assuming we don't spend years arguing in the Courts whether the current Government should be the arbiter of what is relevant to the enquiry.

My take-which takes about 3 minutes, rather than 3 years, is:-

1. We started badly. Entirely understandable, as Covid was rather different to anything that happened before. Appalling bit re Care Homes. Then mostly really good stuff in the middle-lots of business help, great efforts re vaccines. Dim idea of "eat out to help out". Too slow to recognise when the threat level reduced to a level where we needed to get on with life

2. Parties? I expected nothing else. Whereas mates being awarded £millions for PPE with no experience, and no competitive tendering, was a disgrace
    Rishi Sunak faces another by-election as David Warburton quits as MP

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/rishi-sunak-faces-another-election-231846330.html
    2 quick points about the above 2 newspaper articles.

1. The Daily Mail article. In the interests of at least pretending to be a proper newspaper, shouldn't the Mail mention that the person they are bigging up now works for them?

2. David Warburton. 1 of many people who have been an MP when, in any other job, they would be long gone. He has had the (Tory) Party Whip removed for 14 months, while various criminal allegations are examined. We have the ridiculous position where, if someone is suspended from Parliament for 10+ days, there can be a forced by-election. Whereas, if someone is suspended from the Party for years from the Party who the Electorate voted the MP in for, he can stay until the next election, or he can choose to resign at a time that suits him.
    Essexphil said:

1. The Daily Mail article. In the interests of at least pretending to be a proper newspaper, shouldn't the Mail mention that the person they are bigging up now works for them?

2. David Warburton. 1 of many people who have been an MP when, in any other job, they would be long gone. He has had the (Tory) Party Whip removed for 14 months, while various criminal allegations are examined. We have the ridiculous position where, if someone is suspended from Parliament for 10+ days, there can be a forced by-election. Whereas, if someone is suspended from the Party for years from the Party who the Electorate voted the MP in for, he can stay until the next election, or he can choose to resign at a time that suits him.

This seems to happen repeatedly.
    Rules are uncovered that are evidently wrong, and need to be amended, scrapped, or updated.
    By the time the problem is resolved, others have become outdated.
    This means we are always on the backfoot.
    We dont seem to be very proactive.
    We seem to be fingers in the **** people.
    The have been lots of recent examples in Parliament.
    Many more in the NHS, GP surgeries, Police Forces, Social Services, etc.
    Yet if you compare them to big business, they are constantly looking at ways that they can improve, evolve, streamline, embrace new technology, improve their service, and increase their bottom line.
    This may be down to competition, and where there is no competition we cant be bothered.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This seems to happen repeatedly.
    Rules are uncovered that are evidently wrong, and need to be amended, scrapped, or updated.
    By the time the problem is resolved, others have become outdated.
    This means we are always on the backfoot.
    We dont seem to be very proactive.
    We seem to be fingers in the **** people.
    The have been lots of recent examples in Parliament.
    Many more in the NHS, GP surgeries, Police Forces, Social Services, etc.
    Yet if you compare them to big business, they are constantly looking at ways that they can improve, evolve, streamline, embrace new technology, improve their service, and increase their bottom line.
    This may be down to competition, and where there is no competition we cant be bothered.
    In 1 sense, it is a bit like painting the Forth Road Bridge-it is almost bound to be a never-ending attempt to keep up.

But other industries do try and modernise. Whereas Parliament does not. The biggest Parties (in order of size) in the current House of Commons is:-

1. Conservative
    2. Labour
    3. SNP
    4. Sitting as Independent as thrown out of Party due to alleged Criminal acts
    5. Lib Dems

When there are more Criminals than Lib Dems, it's time for a change. And this is not a new thing. At least 20 years of "Independents" steadily increasing. And that is before you count the various MPs who were voted in for 1 Party who now sit as a totally different one.