You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Thieves Hit Shops 1,000 Times A Day, And Attacks On Staff Double.

Comments

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    If things keep goin the way they are with weak governments and everything else, we will soon be havin " Shoplifter of the year " on channel 5.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,744
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

if your kids are hungry you are gonna do whatever you can to feed them imo, as @Essexphil said, poverty is the driving factor behind a lotta crime.

they make a big deal outa this sorta thing but all the big shops are insuranced against theft, they budget for it as well......thats why the cops dont care.

Or you might choose to go to a foodbank.
    Or the government could do its job better and give us a country with a working economy, and living wage so people wouldn’t have to rely on food banks or thieving.

Imagine having one of those kids who is a fussy eater, such as someone with OCD, food bank oxtale soup and the like must be a nightmare for them.

That story on the front of the paper is so typical, whip up a frenzy against a lager lout and avoid the real issue behind higher crime rates, which is poverty, everywhere you look. Imo.

We have always had thieving however rich or poor the country is.
    We have professional shoplifters.
    Some people would rather shoplift than work.
    I am sure that foodbanks are full of kind, caring people, that try to accommodate those in need as much as possible.
    I dont suppose you find much lager in them though.
    I agree with some of your points, esp that theft has always existed, but aint the concern here the increase in such activities?

imo, the primary driver behind this increase is likely to be poverty, as many of societal problems are.

thinking about the 'lager lout' in the story. Chances are, they grew up in a single-parent household where the parent had to work crazy hours at a minimum-wage job, leaving little time for building a solid parent-child relationship. This typa situation can lead to poor performance in school, a lack of aspirations, and exposure to negative influences. which will impact the kids life long into adulthood.

Downward spirals imo usually start at a young age. Society likes to stigmatize individuals as 'wrong ones,' but, in reality, it is society that plays a role in creating these people and the situations they find themselves in. Of course, this isn't true for every case, as psychopaths and narcissists, for example, will always exist.

i hope im no rambling, just got home from work 30 mins ago, long tough day!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Essexphil said:

Another reason for the rise in shoplifting is due to the actions of the Supermarkets.

My nearest Tescos 10 years ago had 30 manned tills. With real humans scanning your shopping, and taking your cash or card. Today? It has 2 or 3. With huge queues at them. While where the other tills used to be is self-service and self-scanning tills.

Tescos have laid off a lot of staff. And look at the bottom line showing they have saved on staff costs.

And don't seem to be capable of understanding that that same bottom line also leads to a massive increase in shoplifting and fraud. Because it is now so much easier to do.

this coulda easily turned in to an AI hijacked thread haha.....you guys are lucky i was at work ;P
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

If things keep goin the way they are with weak governments and everything else, we will soon be havin " Shoplifter of the year " on channel 5.

humans love criminals, look at all the movies hailing them as heroes.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,114

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

if your kids are hungry you are gonna do whatever you can to feed them imo, as @Essexphil said, poverty is the driving factor behind a lotta crime.

they make a big deal outa this sorta thing but all the big shops are insuranced against theft, they budget for it as well......thats why the cops dont care.

Or the government could do its job better and give us a country with a working economy, and living wage so people wouldn’t have to rely on food banks or thieving.

Imagine having one of those kids who is a fussy eater, such as someone with OCD, food bank oxtale soup and the like must be a nightmare for them.

That story on the front of the paper is so typical, whip up a frenzy against a lager lout and avoid the real issue behind higher crime rates, which is poverty, everywhere you look. Imo.

I am sure that foodbanks are full of kind, caring people, that try to accommodate those in need as much as possible.
    I agree with some of your points, esp that theft has always existed, but aint the concern here the increase in such activities?

imo, the primary driver behind this increase is likely to be poverty, as many of societal problems are.

thinking about the 'lager lout' in the story. Chances are, they grew up in a single-parent household where the parent had to work crazy hours at a minimum-wage job, leaving little time for building a solid parent-child relationship. This typa situation can lead to poor performance in school, a lack of aspirations, and exposure to negative influences. which will impact the kids life long into adulthood.

Downward spirals imo usually start at a young age. Society likes to stigmatize individuals as 'wrong ones,' but, in reality, it is society that plays a role in creating these people and the situations they find themselves in. Of course, this isn't true for every case, as psychopaths and narcissists, for example, will always exist.

When I was growing up, there was some poverty.
    People couldnt claim benefits, and work, it was one or the other.
    Security cameras in shops didnt exist.
    Nobody had heard of a foodbank.
    Some people preferred to claim benefits, rather than work, as some do today.
    I also remember mortgage rates doubling, soon after I bought my first house.
    Although I cant remember the government of the time offering anyone any financial assistance.
    Lower paid jobs were probably just as hard to fill in those days, as they are today, particularly if they involved hard work.

I appreciate we have gone through a tough time lately.
    With covid, inflation, mortgage rates, energy bills, rent increases, etc.
    Which has left many struggling.
    Although that is no real excuse for robbing cans of lager.

I think the biggest thing to affect shop lifting is police forces refusing to make arrests for incidents that are less than £200.
    You could be a prolific shoplifter that never exceeds £200 at a time and never get arrested.
    Ridiculous.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,600
    I think its always easy to focus on the minority worst representatives of the sample. I am not a shop lifter have never shoplifted anything in my life. I only ever knew one person that I know did. (its possible other people I know did but I dont know about it)

I didnt get involved I worked with them at the time and if I narced they would know it was me (was a tescos round the corner from the office, that they were stealing from.) This was back in 2013 I believe.

They said they were poor and needed to because they couldnt afford food. I remember one day I bought in food for them and they said they didnt like that food its okay they will steal something they like from tesco later. In truth I think they didnt need to do it they just got a thrill from it.

but my sample of one does not count for much.

I fortunately have never been in a situation where I cannot afford to pay my bills or buy food etc. hopefully I will never be in that situation. However if I did not have enough money to buy food for me and or my partner or future kids if that ever happens, then I would not rule out stealing if I needed to rather then letting me or my family starve.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Although I cant remember the government of the time offering anyone any financial assistance.
    Lower paid jobs were probably just as hard to fill in those days, as they are today, particularly if they involved hard work.

I think the biggest thing to affect shop lifting is police forces refusing to make arrests for incidents that are less than £200.
    You could be a prolific shoplifter that never exceeds £200 at a time and never get arrested.
    Ridiculous.
    It’s defo a contributing factor.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,501
    Crime does pay......... this Government call it inflation..... hic!
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,171
    People shoplift and steal because they know that they can get away with it. Simple as.

Maybe if the Police stopped arresting people for calling somebody by the wrong pronoun or misidentifying gender, or a myriad of other P.C breaches, yes important to those it affects I agree, and started taking action against criminals then perhaps the message gets through.

Oh and if the C.P.S and the courts grew a pair and started jailing offenders, if the jails are full then build more jails and create jobs, and criminals knew they were getting a stretch then it would cut the offending by a considerable amount.
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897

People shoplift and steal because they know that they can get away with it. Simple as.

Maybe if the Police stopped arresting people for calling somebody by the wrong pronoun or misidentifying gender, or a myriad of other P.C breaches, yes important to those it affects I agree, and started taking action against criminals then perhaps the message gets through.

Oh and if the C.P.S and the courts grew a pair and started jailing offenders, if the jails are full then build more jails and create jobs, and criminals knew they were getting a stretch then it would cut the offending by a considerable amount.

The tax payer will have a hissy fit at the cost of building multiply jails just to house shop lifters when the cost of keeping them in jail is added onto that ,, there is no easy answer to this problem when there is a £200 cap before the police will get involved and also the lack of police on the ground when in todays culture no criminal is really scared of them unless your a car driver ..
    In the grand scheme of things the criminal's are smarter than the law and when caught use the law to there own interest or there lawyer will
  • Options
    coming to your local high street soon.....

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,171
    HANSON said:

The tax payer will have a hissy fit at the cost of building multiply jails just to house shop lifters when the cost of keeping them in jail is added onto that ,, there is no easy answer to this problem when there is a £200 cap before the police will get involved and also the lack of police on the ground when in todays culture no criminal is really scared of them unless your a car driver ..
    In the grand scheme of things the criminal's are smarter than the law and when caught use the law to there own interest or there lawyer will
    Ok so where do we draw the line at when we should jail people if it's down to cost. Should we let drug dealers walk free because technically they are only providing a service. Or do we not imprison football hooligans because both sets of lads wanted the ruck. What about fraudsters who only steal from financial establishments, benefit cheats, drink drivers who don't hurt anyone or those who refuse to pay fines.

If something is illegal then if you are caught breaking the law there has to be punative sanctions otherwise why have the law in the first place.

The alternative is Anarchy and lynch mob mentality.
  • Options
    Didn't they used to chop your hands off .... wonder why they stopped that. ?
  • Options
    Silly me....... the N.H.S. couldn't cope.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    I had never really thought about "hung, drawn and quartered" until I saw it on a tv film.

Boy that must have deterred a lot of people from offending.
  • Options
    ‘It’s organised looting’: UK in grip of a shoplifting epidemic, say store owners

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/organised-looting-uk-grip-shoplifting-142424576.html
  • Options
    Inside the UK's shoplifting capital where business owners have given up hope

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-uks-shoplifting-capital-business-30953890
  • Options
    edited September 2023

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Ridiculous.
    It’s defo a contributing factor.
    'This shoplifting epidemic is a scandal - and a wider sign that Britain is broken'
    When the British Retail Consortium reports around eight million thefts in the 12 months to March but police recorded only 339,206 cases, it is virtually a free crime

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/this-shoplifting-epidemic-scandal-wider-30926804
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Another reason for the rise in shoplifting is due to the actions of the Supermarkets.

My nearest Tescos 10 years ago had 30 manned tills. With real humans scanning your shopping, and taking your cash or card. Today? It has 2 or 3. With huge queues at them. While where the other tills used to be is self-service and self-scanning tills.

Tescos have laid off a lot of staff. And look at the bottom line showing they have saved on staff costs.

And don't seem to be capable of understanding that that same bottom line also leads to a massive increase in shoplifting and fraud. Because it is now so much easier to do.

Brits on frontline of shoplifting epidemic - knife terror and turning detective

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brits-frontline-shoplifting-epidemic-knife-30926102
  • Options
    Shoplifting an epidemic, says John Lewis boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66784250