You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,030
    Carragher spouting his usual cr4p.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Just do paper scissors rock at the beginning of the season between the two :p
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Harry Kane’s hidden £7,000 Chingford statue finally revealed

imageFootball statues – four of the worst

Mohamed Salah

Cristiano Ronaldo

Michael Jackson

The statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage

Ted Bates

The controversial statue of Southampton football club legend Ted Bates has been taken down as fans complained that it was an insult to their hero with too large a head, arm and short legs. Scores of fans have flooded tthe club's website with complaints Removal of the Ted Bates statue, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - 25 Mar 2007

alt="" />https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/harry-kane-hidden-7-000-151813866.html
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    Sorry when I read about Saints fans complaining about Master Bates outside the ground I had an entirely different picture in my head
  • Options
    England kit’s multi-coloured St George’s Cross branded ‘virtue signalling woke nonsense’.

England’s new football kit for Euro 2024 has provoked outrage among traditionalists over its inclusion of a multi-coloured St George’s Cross on the back of the shirt collar.

Manufacturer Nike has replaced the conventional all-red cross with one featuring purple and blue stripes in what it called a “playful update” to the national flag.

The new strip, which England will wear for the first time in their friendly against Brazil on Saturday, was launched on Monday with a promise to “celebrate football heroes of the past with a modern twist”.

Highlighting the “new” flag, Nike wrote on X, formerly Twitter: “A playful update to the St. George appears on the collar to unite and inspire.”

But the move has been condemned by traditionalists, including Nigel Farage and MPs Lee Anderson and Brendan Clarke Smith.

Farage branded the design an “absolute joke”, adding on GB News: “It bears no relationship to the St George’s Cross whatsoever.

“If the England football team think that’s acceptable, well, why on earth would you be apologetic about Englishness if you’re going to play for England in the European football finals? I think it’s an absolute joke.”

Reform UK MP Anderson dismissed the move as “virtue signalling woke nonsense”, telling the Daily Express: “The left have a nerve to ask me why I want my country back.

“This virtue signalling, namby-pamby, pearl-clutching woke nonsense must stop. Any more of this and I’ll be on the first flight to Rwanda.”

The new kits – which will also be worn by England at this summer’s European Championship, as well as by the Lionesses and England Para teams – cost £124.99 in adult sizes and £119.99 for children.

Clarke-Smith said: “Maybe somebody in the design department misheard Three Lions and instead went for three lines on a shirt.

“I’m not sure what this is supposed to be, but it certainly looks nothing like our flag and I’m not sure it needs an ‘update’ either.

“That said, I doubt they’ll shift many at those sort of prices.”

It was not just politicians who opposed the new design, with comedian Jason Manford writing on X: “Oh dear…this is not gonna go down well! what a weird thing to do tho! A US company having a cheeky play with another countries flag, let’s go back to Umbro I say, we won the World Cup in that kit.”

Telegraph Sport has been told the colour choices for the cross were partly a nod to England’s 1966 triumph and the blue training gear worn by players.

Any connection to the Rainbow armband Fifa banned Harry Kane from wearing in support of the LGBTQ+ community during the last World Cup was categorically denied.

There are no plans to recall the kit.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

England kit’s multi-coloured St George’s Cross branded ‘virtue signalling woke nonsense’.

England’s new football kit for Euro 2024 has provoked outrage among traditionalists over its inclusion of a multi-coloured St George’s Cross on the back of the shirt collar.

Manufacturer Nike has replaced the conventional all-red cross with one featuring purple and blue stripes in what it called a “playful update” to the national flag.

The new strip, which England will wear for the first time in their friendly against Brazil on Saturday, was launched on Monday with a promise to “celebrate football heroes of the past with a modern twist”.

Highlighting the “new” flag, Nike wrote on X, formerly Twitter: “A playful update to the St. George appears on the collar to unite and inspire.”

But the move has been condemned by traditionalists, including Nigel Farage and MPs Lee Anderson and Brendan Clarke Smith.

Farage branded the design an “absolute joke”, adding on GB News: “It bears no relationship to the St George’s Cross whatsoever.

“If the England football team think that’s acceptable, well, why on earth would you be apologetic about Englishness if you’re going to play for England in the European football finals? I think it’s an absolute joke.”

Reform UK MP Anderson dismissed the move as “virtue signalling woke nonsense”, telling the Daily Express: “The left have a nerve to ask me why I want my country back.

“This virtue signalling, namby-pamby, pearl-clutching woke nonsense must stop. Any more of this and I’ll be on the first flight to Rwanda.”

The new kits – which will also be worn by England at this summer’s European Championship, as well as by the Lionesses and England Para teams – cost £124.99 in adult sizes and £119.99 for children.

Clarke-Smith said: “Maybe somebody in the design department misheard Three Lions and instead went for three lines on a shirt.

“I’m not sure what this is supposed to be, but it certainly looks nothing like our flag and I’m not sure it needs an ‘update’ either.

It was not just politicians who opposed the new design, with comedian Jason Manford writing on X: “Oh dear…this is not gonna go down well! what a weird thing to do tho! A US company having a cheeky play with another countries flag, let’s go back to Umbro I say, we won the World Cup in that kit.”

Telegraph Sport has been told the colour choices for the cross were partly a nod to England’s 1966 triumph and the blue training gear worn by players.

Any connection to the Rainbow armband Fifa banned Harry Kane from wearing in support of the LGBTQ+ community during the last World Cup was categorically denied.

Gulp look at that price :s
    Probably costing , and i'm guessing here £20 tops to make and distribute , ever likely everything is going to the dogs
    Does anyone know the lotto numbers for this Saturday so i can buy one
  • Options
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    lucy4 said:

Just dont buy it
  • Options
  • Options
    Nike replaces Three Lions on England kit with three pink flamingos.

Nike have updated the design of the new England kit once again, by replacing the three lions badge with three pink flamingos.

The controversial design change comes on the back of any earlier backlash against the decision to change the St George’s Cross on the kit, mainly from a few vocal supporters who actually give a **** about things like this, and politicians who want to pretend they give a **** about things like this order to get some votes in an election year.

A spokesperson for Nike confirmed the move earlier, telling us, “It looks really good.

“We can confirm that we have implemented another small design change on the new England kit, which we are certain everyone will love.

“It’s hardly noticeable, to be honest. It’s just a little playful change of the animal that happens to appear on the kit.

“We have decided to change – get this – the dark blue lions on the front to flamingos. Pink ones. And we’ve done it playfully, which means it’s okay. It’s brilliant.

“There’s no way people will be angry about it, because they all clearly took the slight change of colour to the bit on the back of the neck so well. So we’re just going to go with it and print tens of thousands of them for sale.”

Asked to comment on the new design, England fan and seasoned hooligan, Simon Williams, told us, “Flamingos!? Aren’t they the gay ones or something? It’s a **** disgrace!

“How can I intimidate the locals on the street of some European backwater when I’ve got flamingos on my chest? And poor old Skinner and Baddiel will have to record their song AGAIN!”

https://newsthump.com/2024/03/22/nike-replaces-three-lions-on-england-kit-with-three-pink-flamingos/
  • Options
    Wonder if the England players will swap their rainbow laces to red & white ones to support the country they're representing?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    Haven't bought a new England Football Home shirt since Euro 96 and an away one since WC2002 and at those prices I wont be getting another.

Maybe we should take 12 stars out of the American flag or put the Mexican flag in the bottom right corner surely if its labelled a playful update it can't be wrong.

It would be nice if the Sports shops refused to stock them but they wont, because they are spineless, money grubbers.
  • Options

Haven't bought a new England Football Home shirt since Euro 96 and an away one since WC2002 and at those prices I wont be getting another.

Maybe we should take 12 stars out of the American flag or put the Mexican flag in the bottom right corner surely if its labelled a playful update it can't be wrong.

It would be nice if the Sports shops refused to stock them but they wont, because they are spineless, money grubbers.

Ever likely when it costs as much as a Weekly shop, lotto numbers anyone :p
  • Options
    Anyone on X know what Lineker has said about this, it's right up his street?
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Taken from 'The Independent'

Peter Shilton

In an interview with BBC’s Today programme on Radio 4 on Friday (22 March), the World Cup winner said: “I don’t agree with it. I’m a traditionalist and England represents our country and red, white and blue are the colours we have on our flag.”

Fortunately for the Independent, Shilton's stupidity almost hides their belief that he won the world cup.

🤣🤣

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,494
    Ticked the box Liverpool.

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    The Premier League table from 2016 was on spice. 🤯🤯
    😳 Southampton were 3 points off Man City.
    😱 Tottenham came 3rd in a two-horse race.
    🔙 Stoke were decent.
    🤯 Leicester won the league.

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,734
    edited March 26
    MAXALLY said:

The Premier League table from 2016 was on spice. 🤯🤯
    😳 Southampton were 3 points off Man City.
    😱 Tottenham came 3rd in a two-horse race.
    🔙 Stoke were decent.
    🤯 Leicester won the league.

wonderful year, this is defo the highlight.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3b_lw7t2TE

^thats the best time i've ever had in my life, when sir david nodded in the third goal in injury time, i honestly dont have words to describe the feeling........when that final whistle went i burst into tears.......