You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What to watch in 2024: best new TV Series/Movies.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,128

10/10
    I wish I could have memory loss so I could see it for the first time again.

a-grillo8627 August 2014
    This masterpiece is good from beginning to end. It will make you a better human being. It will bring you to a certain maturity about life and what are the most important parts of it. The acting is out of this world amazing. This is an all-star cast and don't you worry about loosing some great characters along the way, they are replaced by other very talented and interesting ones. The core actors of the show stay on for long periods of time and this allows you to truly feel as if they are your close friends. This show will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you think and most importantly, if there is something going on in your life and you need certain guidance, Andy is there for you and he will most definitely have the answer you are looking for during one episode or another.

No doubt in my mind : If this TV show was a mandatory watch in high schools, the world would be a better place.
    60 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    10/10
    Possibly the best TV show ever, certainly in the top 3

mathomas-280538 July 2018
    Three things that keep this show in my top 5 of all time. One, is the language. The way the people talk is Shakespearean poetry. They re-invent the English language every episode. Magnificent.

Two, how emotionally real the show can get. The relationships between the people, between the races, between the sexes, between the cops, is beautifully done. Top drawer. Andy's speech about Bobby, how he never thought he'd ever have a friend again, just the best you'll ever see.

Three, the single best piece of film I've ever seen is the scene in the last season where Bobby's ghost comes back and has a short conversation with Sipowicz in the bathroom. Stunningly good scene, best ever.

But every minute of every episode is spectacular. No bad moments ever. How you keep a series on such a consistently high level is beyond me.
    14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    Where Are the DVDs?
    davisnathan16 October 2011
    Great acting, excellent character development, etc. I particularly liked the Jimmy Smits years, but all of them were great.

One of the bet shows ever on TV---lasted 12 seasons---but only the first 5 are available on DVD.

Does anyone know why? Is there some sort of contract problem or lawsuit? Are they scheduled to be released at some time in the future? I would like to know----the first 5 seasons came out quite some time ago (8 years?) and then nothing! You would think that a show with the kind of legs this one had and the audience to keep it on the air for 12 seasons would represent excellent potential for the DVD sales. SO---what's up with that? Anybody know?
    11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    I Love It!
    smrhyne30 July 2003
    I had never seen NYPD Blue until the ninth season. Then I went back and watched all the reruns, starting from the first season. I have been hooked ever since. I taped all the the episodes and watched them every evening. Now I'm going back through the first season! As the stories unfolded, I found myself getting caught up in the stories and the lives of the characters. At the end of a hard day's work, I can always count on Andy Sipowicz to say something to make me laugh. What a great character! He runs the gamut of emotions and I find myself going there with him.I alternate between loving the guy and hating him! As an African-American, I sometimes rankle at his racist remarks. But I sometimes find myself agreeing with him when he makes remarks about other minorities, which has made me realize that I must be a racist too. I admire Andy because he is honest enough to voice his opinions and own up to his shortcomings. I have enjoyed each of Andy's partners. I feel that each one has brought something different to the show. But Jimmy Smits was my favorite and I was devastated when his character dies. But my favorite characters on the show are Greg Medavoy and John Irving, both underrated and underused on the show. One of my favorite episodes is "Israel", where a homeless deaf mute man was accused of killing a little boy. Andy was trying to find clues to the killing in the deaf man's Bible, but became so frustrated that he threw the Bible across the room. Later while trying to comfort the boy's mother, Andy picked the Bible up from the floor and started to read aloud from it. As he read over the hustle and bustle of the squadroom, a peace started to fall over all under the sound of his voice, himself included. It was a great moment,from a great scene from a great show.
    53 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    Simply the best ever
    vsmakrock5 July 2003
    Consider that in the first 50 years of ABC television, NYPD Blue was on for 12 of them. Was it better, more edgy the first couple of seasons? Yes. Was it at the end? Not so much. Yet, it was still appointment television. It was ground-breaking, and if you missed it from Day One, sure you can buy the DVD's as they come out, but it was so different than anything on TV then, and it changed what we expect out of television dramas.

The character of Andy Sipowicz, played by 4 time Emmy winner Dennis Franz, was the most realistic character ever created on television, faults and all. He was a modern-day everyman, and that was why we rooted for him, even when he was in one of those moods. It was why we continued to watch right up until it's triumphant end.

It came along when the one-hour drama on network television was all but dead; it re-defined the look of prime time drama with language and wardrobe (or lack their of), as well as how it was filmed; and when you speak with anyone that is or ever has served in law enforcement in this country, they'll tell you it was the best show at capturing "The Job" from a realism and accuracy standpoint.

Thank God for re-runs.
    64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    A great show , legendary show that has now reached it's end!!!
    MovieCriticMarvelfan1 March 2005
    Tonight the final episode of NYPD Blue was shown across America and with it, comes a closing of TV history, one of the best cop dramas ever made.

• Options
    Hats of the cast, Steven Boucho and others for delivering 12 yrs of amazing entertainment, gut wrenching story lines and powerful characters that will stick with us for a lifetime.

This show had it all, controversy, action, strong language, nudity, but it also had chemistry among it's actors, it had charisma and above all heart, baby!!!

Dennis Franz as Det. Andy Sipowicz is perhaps the best cop ever made. Franz turned this self absorbed hypocrite and abuser and made him human given us a look into this guy and shown us that he is human, he is good, he has that courage to do things his own way and get results.

Mark-Paul Gosselaar who came on board Det. John Clark for four years was just amazing. Mark you are too cool!!!. Hes definitely come a long way from "Saved from the Bell", he has really shown his acting abilities, he just impressed me as the show went.

Gordon Clapp as Det. Greg Medavoy was one of the original cast members who like Andy survived 12 yrs of the most intense police drama ever

Henry Simmons ,Bill Brochtrup , Jacqueline Obradors, too many names to list, going back to David Caruso, Jimmy Smits have left their mark on television history.

This is television at it's finest and hats go of to ABC for giving us 12 yrs of the best cop drama ever!!!
    22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    Emotional
    jjthedj17 February 2005
    I've almost never missed an episode of this show during it's entire run. I'm going to miss having a "normal" cop show on the air. Law and Order is too talky and the CSI procedural stuff is just too much of an okay thing. I must say that it's the tiny moments in "Blue" that have the biggest impact on me. The final picture-taking sequence in this week's episode just seemed like two actors (Franz and Clapp) really relishing the joy they've had working with one another all these years. Even though you can see where it seems to be going, I still look forward to spending time with the fictional 15th squad. Currie Graham was a great addition and some unsung players that never get press (Henry Simmons, anyone?)have just made this show so good--and so New York.
    33 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    9/10
    One of the best shows
    billjoor19 April 2021
    There are a handful of shows that defined television. This was one of the best. It showed a male lead that didn't look like a supermodel, but was a great actor. It showed flawed human beings, with all of thier faults. Realistic and edgy. Great watch.
    7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    Another great memorable drama TV-series
    SonicStuart3 April 2005
    NYPD Blue is one of the most greatest dramas on ABC! This show was well written, had great plots to every episode and season it had and great acting overall! Before this series ever started the actors who were on this show were in mostly in a lot of TV-shows that lasted one season and probably not as much episodes until this show came along! The show NYPD Blue is set against the gritty and volatile backdrop of New York City, NYPD Blue powerfully portrays realistic characters devoting themselves to the pursuit of justice while struggling to sustain an ever-elusive sense of humanity. In spite of -- or perhaps because of -- the bleakness of the streets, the chaos of the squad room and the fragility of their own private lives, the members of the 15th Precinct share a strong commitment to the job and each other. Veteran actor Rick Schroder brought a new energy and intensity to the series with his arrival. This fantastic series first premiered on ABC back in September 1993 and has gone on until March 2005 when the series ended after 12 seasons. The show has been nominated for an Emmy 84 times and won 20 Emmy awards out of those 84 times the series has been nominated. I can believe it has been on the same time-slot and night on ABC through out it's 12 season run! Dennis Franz is my most favorite actor out of the entire show! This is one show that TV fans should remember always!

User Rating: 10/10

BOTTOM LINE: BRILLIANT!
    15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
    6/10
    NYPD: The First Season
    ccthemovieman-17 November 2006
    Believe-it-or-not, I never watched this show until I bought the DVD when it came out. I just never watched it, even though I enjoy crime shows. Anywhere, here are my thoughts, just randomly said:

David Caruso may have gotten top billing as the star of the show but Dennis Franz is the actor who dominates when on screen. He is the most dramatic figure in this crime series that features character studies, almost to the point of being soap opera-like. In fact, all the love-lives of the main characters are explored, especially as the episodes developed that first season.

In the beginning, some sex scenes were used to grab viewers. This was new to TV then. All the characters in the show may not have been likable but they were all interesting. To me, the most likable was Nicholas Turturro's "Martinez."

The cops - men and women - all talked tough and the show's writers liked to insert words like "a-hole" and "****" because, I suspect, they could get away with using them. This was TV's first drama to use words like that and have the open sexuality that was shown here. We saw side shots of breasts and Caruso's butt, etc. Speaking of Caruso, he left after this first season and that really annoyed a lot of the viewers, I am told. After an unsuccessful movie career, he landed back on his feet in TV with the very successful CSI: Miami show. Franz, meanwhile, stuck it out for the long NYPD run.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    ‘NYPD Blue’ at 25: Dennis Franz, Amy Brenneman, Gordon Clapp Reflect on Legacy

Twenty-five years ago, audiences were captivated by a most arresting and original spin on a TV staple — the police drama. Steven Bochco, who was already well-known as one of television’s chief innovators and reinventors thanks to high-quality series like “Paris,” “L.A. Law” and “Doogie Howser, M.D.”, co-created “NYPD Blue.” This was his second reinvention of the genre (he was also responsible for “Hill Street Blues”), but in teaming up with David Milch the envelope was pushed even farther.

Not only would “NYPD Blue” pioneer a grittier, more frenetic storytelling style with the use of regularly jerky and very verite handheld camera, it would challenge long-established broadcast network limits regarding violence, nudity and four-letter words. Of course, the road for such a disruptive new approach would not be an easy one, with high drama playing out both among the opposition to the game-changing series and within its own ranks before it finally debuted on ABC on Sept. 21, 1993.

Here, three of “NYPD Blue’s” first-season standouts, Dennis Franz (Det. Andy Sipowicz), Gordon Clapp (Det. Greg Medavoy) and Amy Brenneman (Officer Janice Licalsi), recall the tumultuous journey to launch a TV upstart that would ultimately become an institution.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/nypd-blue-25-anniversary-dennis-franz-amy-brenneman-gordon-clapp-1202943540/

• Options
    THE CUCKOO (2024) - Trailer REACTION - Channel 5 - Jill Halfpenny drama - Begins Monday April 8th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHTZJkgXMw&t=8s
  • Options
  • Options
    Season 4 Saturday BBC4.
    Wisting: Trailer | BBC Trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn7HRgVEI50
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 12
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Just finished NYPD Blue.
    It was brilliant.
    Probably my all time favourite series.
    I am now rewatching Homeland.
    I noticed that the same people responsible for Homeland, were also behind Fauda, which I also enjoyed.

Homeland Season 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFmS3wRPCQ

Fauda - Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rm_4e3iYQ

Controversy
    The series included more nudity and raw language than was common on broadcast television, which resulted in at least 30 of the network's affiliates—mostly in smaller markets—not running the series when it debuted, with the show airing in many of those markets on a Fox affiliate or independent station live or delayed.[10] 29 of the affiliates eventually saw the show's ratings overrule their moral objections and began to air it by the time the third season started. WLOX in Biloxi, Mississippi was the only ABC affiliate that never aired all episodes of the series, choosing to pre-empt it with double-run syndicated sitcoms and leaving Fox affiliate WXXV-TV to run it instead.

In 2005, L. Brent Bozell III told TIME that the nudity on the series influenced him to establish the Parents Television Council, for which he served as president from 1995 to 2006.[11] The PTC has directly criticized several episodes of the show for perceived vulgarity[12][13][14] and filed complaints with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) over the use of obscene language in several episodes aired in early 2003, at the last half of the 10th season of the show,[15] associating the series with a perceived increase in profanity[16] and violence[17] on prime-time television from the late 1990s to early 2000s. The FCC ruled that the language in the episodes was indecent but decided not to fine ABC, because the episodes aired before a 2004 ruling that obscenities would lead to an automatic fine.[18] However, on January 25, 2008, the FCC fined ABC $1.4 million for the episode "Nude Awakening" (airdate February 25, 2003), due to scenes of "adult sexual nudity".[19] The fine was ultimately rejected by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on January 6, 2011.[20]

According to NYPD Blue: A Final Tribute, a retrospective broadcast aired the same night as the last episode, the controversy was not limited to what was on the screen.[21] David Milch, the show's co-creator and head writer, was a controversial figure on the set during the seven years he was with the show.[22] His working style and tendency to procrastinate or make last-minute, on-set changes contributed to a frustrating working environment for some of the cast and crew.[22] Smits left the show when his contract ended because of it,[22] as did Andrea Thompson.[23] Milch cites his own alcoholism and other addictions as factors contributing to the difficult environment.[24][25] His personal problems and "exhaustion" over the lengthy production of the episodes caused him to leave the series after the seventh season.[26] In spite of the controversy, Milch is usually credited as a major creative force during the years he worked on the show;[22] he won two Emmy Awards for his writing,[27] shared another as executive producer, and shared in a further 10 nominations for his writing and production.[28]

Awards and nominations
    Main article: List of awards and nominations received by NYPD Blue
    NYPD Blue has won 84 out of 285 award nominations. The series has garnered 84 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, winning 20 of them. Of the 20 wins, the series won the award for Outstanding Drama Series; Dennis Franz won four times for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series; Kim Delaney won for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series; Gordon Clapp won for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series; Shirley Knight and Debra Monk each won for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series and Paris Barclay won twice for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series.[29] It has received thirteen Golden Globe Award nominations, with David Caruso, Franz and Jimmy Smits each winning for Best Actor – Television Series Drama and the series winning Best Television Series – Drama.[30] The series received 23 Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, with Franz winning twice for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series and the cast winning for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series. NYPD Blue received 13 TCA Award nominations, winning once for Outstanding Achievement in Drama.[31] Additional accolades include two Peabody Awards,[32][33] the Producers Guild of America Award for Best Episodic Drama,[34] the Writers Guild of America Award for Television: Episodic Drama,[35] and the Satellite Award for Best Television Series – Drama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYPD_Blue#Awards_and_nominations

NYPD Blue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVYat_3h30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGXEj6XVuOc
  • Options
    The Red King Release Date and Everything You Need to Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTf57ZLtxIM
  • Options
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    https://youtu.be/n4hl6yfVEMo?si=IVNH2YytL1qP4qlc

https://youtu.be/V-mugKDQDlg?si=_3mB3QowlMgmCV6K

two very different shows but both very entertaining in there own way
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

https://youtu.be/n4hl6yfVEMo?si=IVNH2YytL1qP4qlc

https://youtu.be/V-mugKDQDlg?si=_3mB3QowlMgmCV6K

two very different shows but both very entertaining in there own way

I thought The Twelve was good, but havent watched Fallout.