You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,036
    The replays have kept some of the lower league clubs in business over the years,it's just another example of the Premier League dictating the rules for their own gain. What about the final being the pinnacle of the season, to me it's now been relegated to just another match in the Premier League season.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475
    lucy4 said:

The replays have kept some of the lower league clubs in business over the years,it's just another example of the Premier League dictating the rules for their own gain. What about the final being the pinnacle of the season, to me it's now been relegated to just another match in the Premier League season.

@lucy4

Indeed, that's a very good point.

If a lower League club drew a "big" team, & managed to draw at home, the replay away at the big club very often did, as you say, literally keep them in business. They would dream of that replay, & of course it was huge fun for the fans.

Nearly 50 years on I can still remember the thrill of a replay away at Old Trafford or Anfield. I was a Brentford fan & we were in the Third Division in those days, so it was a huge occasion, we'd go up by coach & it'd be a proper party atmo.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Another nail in the coffin for the EFL and only suits the EPL , moaning about fixture conjestion while swanning around the globe playing tournaments pre season ££££
    The only positive i see , and it's a small positive is that the minnow may win the lottery shootout
    I was vehemently against the ESL but the more i think about it i'm begining to wish the big six to leave and let us minnows get our game back , at least it would be funny seeing Spuds finishing bottom every season
  • Options

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.
  • Options
    Seems like the backlash is gathering momentum.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

Bravo Tranmere Rovers & Exeter city.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,182
    edited April 19
    I can vividly remember travelling as a neutral to watch local teams such as Stafford Rangers, Northwich Victoria, Crewe Alex and even Poor Fail in FA cup replays. Magical nights under lights and part of the heritage and history of the game.

Just seen the latest bombshell about 50% of Stoke EFL games will have rescheduled times and days next season under the new TV deal. Was about to order my season ticket for next year but Fri nights, Sat lunch, Sun lunch, Mon nights, Thurs Nights, like wtf.

Time to take back control or lose it forever.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Yea I'm a supporter/fan of one of the so called big boys (since 1970) but I'm against this change with all of my heart, it's just further erosion of 'The Beautiful Game'. Money is the power and evil of every thing in the world.

• Options
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,607
    well after southampton decided to run a big Vegan event at their stadium my girlfriend has finally after many years joined me in hatred for southampton football club it took long enough but is good to see.
  • Options
    Why shouldn't they run a vegan event if that's what they want to do. Jeez I can understand having animosity toward a rival team or supporters, but to "Hate" based on dietry choices and lifestlye is too much.

As long as it's not illegal, anything that brings revenue to football clubs should be applauded and supported.
  • Options

Here are the fouls and handball that caused the club to tweet.

• Options
    Oh, that's a shame. Was the referee who apparently deemed them not to be pens a Luton fan as well.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013

Oh, that's a shame. Was the referee who apparently deemed them not to be pens a Luton fan as well.

Team that got caught being financially dishonest playing another team caught being financially dishonest feels comfortable in accusing someone else doing their job of being dishonest simply because they don't agree with decisions....
  • Options
  • Options
    Teach 'em young... :D

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    After Port Vale flew a banner over The Bet 365 upon our relegation from the prem, on a day where there were no fans in the stadium , we were away at Swansea , we replicated it today at Vale Park today , admittedly only a couple of thousand there but hey

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,607
    congratulations to stoke a well deserved win which confirms their safety well deserved and happy for them.

incidently their win confirms southampton will not be able to achieve automatic promotion and will have to go through the playoffs.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

After Port Vale flew a banner over The Bet 365 upon our relegation from the prem, on a day where there were no fans in the stadium , we were away at Swansea , we replicated it today at Vale Park today , admittedly only a couple of thousand there but hey

Apparently more people employed as groundstaff at Stoke saw their banner than the crowd at Fail Park saw ours and yes they were playing a home game.

One City. One Team. UTMP CTID.