You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

limping into the pot

124»

Comments

• Options
    -TARAS--TARAS- Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2010
    In Response to limping into the pot:
    can english people play poker what is the point in limping into a pot , HIDE  strength no ur inviting everyone to come into the pot with you making your chances weak even with AA . i see ppl limping in and then sum 1 raise and gess what they all still call no wonder the americans have more sucsess then english , NEED TO learn the fundamentals off poker . you all seem 2 play like its facebook poker and limping with raggy aces and sucking out ive only played two tournaments on here and won 1 ov them but as for cash games been getting sucked out by the same standards you see with your friends think i will never play cash games on here from now , can i just say 2 the small few on here who will read this that play super tight aggresive and you will see your money shoot up
    Posted by timebomb10
    Ok i'll come clean it was probably me who was guilty of the crime of limping and was subsequently beaten by your goodself.However, my chips get confiscated by a lot of players coz im RUBBISH at poker.Whether i raise, check, call or fold i generally have no idea where i am until the hand is played out.I'm sincerely sorry if this upsets you but it is my chips or money that i'm giving away.Therefore it is a bit unfair to blame a whole nation on my poor play although i do admit to a perverse delight  in representing my country at something.I've only been playing a relatively short while but there seems to be a lot of snobbery amongst the poker fraternity unlike any other "sport". 

It would appear to me that the vast majority are apparently all experts and the rest of us minions shouldn't be allowed to play at the same tables but should infact be taken out and hung from the nearest tree by our ankles and allowed to die a horrible, horrible death. So contrary to your suggestion, i do not feel the need to learn the fundamentals of poker because i just want to play for fun but hopefully i will continue to pick up the basics as time goes on and from the advice of some of the more charitable of skys patrons,which i'm glad to say there are a few. So, my advice to you so called "experts" is just enjoy winning the novices chips instead of continually whining about us.      

It's just a shame you never got to play starider or overider or joyrider or whatever his name was then you might have had a justified complaint.           

Finally for your information i nearly read a book once but no doubt you'll be sad to know no one shot me so i didn't finish it.
                   hope this helps?

• Options
    Ozzie08Ozzie08 Member Posts: 963
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot:
    In Response to limping into the pot : Ok i'll come clean it was probably me who was guilty of the crime of limping and was subsequently beaten by your goodself.However, my chips get confiscated by a lot of players coz im RUBBISH at poker.Whether i raise, check, call or fold i generally have no idea where i am until the hand is played out.I'm sincerely sorry if this upsets you but it is my chips or money that i'm giving away.Therefore it is a bit unfair to blame a whole nation on my poor play although i do admit to a perverse delight  in representing my country at something.I've only been playing a relatively short while but there seems to be a lot of snobbery amongst the poker fraternity unlike any other "sport".  It would appear to me that the vast majority are apparently all experts and the rest of us minions shouldn't be allowed to play at the same tables but should infact be taken out and hung from the nearest tree by our ankles and allowed to die a horrible, horrible death. So contrary to your suggestion, i do not feel the need to learn the fundamentals of poker because i just want to play for fun but hopefully i will continue to pick up the basics as time goes on and from the advice of some of the more charitable of skys patrons,which i'm glad to say there are a few. So, my advice to you so called "experts" is just enjoy winning the novices chips instead of continually whining about us.       It's just a shame you never got to play starider or overider or joyrider or whatever his name was then you might have had a justified complaint.            Finally for your information i nearly read a book once but no doubt you'll be sad to know no one shot me so i didn't finish it.                hope this helps?                                                                                                                  
    Posted by -TARAS-
    Thumbs up tarras for your reply, but you have no need to explain your actions at a poker tb. You play the game as you want. There is always goin to be players better than us and some who are not as gd as us. We all play the game differnt and thats wot makes poker intersting

You play the games as you like and enjoy it, if it bothers other people its there problem.

Ill see you soon in the deep stack gl fella, ozzie
  • Options
    -TARAS--TARAS- Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : Thumbs up tarras for your reply, but you have no need to explain your actions at a poker tb. You play the game as you want. There is always goin to be players better than us and some who are not as gd as us. We all play the game differnt and thats wot makes poker intersting   You play the games as you like and enjoy it, if it bothers other people its there problem. Ill see you soon in the deep stack gl fella, ozzie
    Posted by Ozzie08
    Cheers mate, i should have said what you said. took me flippin ages to type my garbled message
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to limping into the pot : Ok i'll come clean it was probably me who was guilty of the crime of limping and was subsequently beaten by your goodself.However, my chips get confiscated by a lot of players coz im RUBBISH at poker.Whether i raise, check, call or fold i generally have no idea where i am until the hand is played out.I'm sincerely sorry if this upsets you but it is my chips or money that i'm giving away.Therefore it is a bit unfair to blame a whole nation on my poor play although i do admit to a perverse delight  in representing my country at something.I've only been playing a relatively short while but there seems to be a lot of snobbery amongst the poker fraternity unlike any other "sport".  It would appear to me that the vast majority are apparently all experts and the rest of us minions shouldn't be allowed to play at the same tables but should infact be taken out and hung from the nearest tree by our ankles and allowed to die a horrible, horrible death. So contrary to your suggestion, i do not feel the need to learn the fundamentals of poker because i just want to play for fun but hopefully i will continue to pick up the basics as time goes on and from the advice of some of the more charitable of skys patrons,which i'm glad to say there are a few. So, my advice to you so called "experts" is just enjoy winning the novices chips instead of continually whining about us.       It's just a shame you never got to play starider or overider or joyrider or whatever his name was then you might have had a justified complaint.            Finally for your information i nearly read a book once but no doubt you'll be sad to know no one shot me so i didn't finish it.                hope this helps?                                                                                                                  
    Posted by -TARAS-
     excellent post still laughing
  • Options
    timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2010
    ok if you play for FUN u will be a losing player no dowt about that as u need 2 see it like a business tip 1
    tip 2 see it as units NOT money and the more units u get the better ur business is
    thirdly
    this comment (Finally for your information i nearly read a book once but no doubt you'll be sad to know no one shot me so i didn't finish it) is that at me being shot in the army and having time to studie poker as the consequence if so u are 1 ov the worst person i have ever spoken to
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    ok if you play for FUN u will be a losing player no dowt about that as u need 2 see it like a business tip 1 tip 2 see it as units NOT money and the more units u get the better ur business is thirdly this comment (Finally for your information i nearly read a book once but no doubt you'll be sad to know no one shot me so i didn't finish it) is that at me being shot in the army and having time to studie poker as the consequence if so u are 1 ov the worst person i have ever spoken to
    Posted by timebomb10
    I play for fun and I'm not a losing player.
    I can think of several other players who play for fun who make a decent profit too.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010
    Well timebomb i'm gonna presume your a cash only grinder as from the results i can get on you you have only played a coulple of low stakes tourneys on here. If you treat it like a business & make money then thats great. you grind a profit and knock yourself out.

Some of us however use this as nothing more and nothing less than a hobby. You seem to have mistaken that for the fact that are behind in money in some way?

I'm up a 4 figure sum from tournaments, have done OK on cash and i know players like Merenovice (who posted above me) are in a healthy profit. Recreational does not mean Behind. In fact i would say recreation leads to a greater degree of detachment from the money being used as we do not rely on the results to live by.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    obviously u have not read anything i have put above only the small comment about people dont take it seriuos they  have fun rite here is an example say u suffer a BAD BEAT your angry so that means ur taking the game seriously enough 2 get angry there fore impling u do it 2 have fun is stupid , and as for see poker like a business thing i said ur going against the words ov DOYLE BRUNSON not me so why are u having a go at me lol and if u would ov read the comments above u could see why i cant play here really
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    I don't get angry when I suffer a bad beat.
    I accept it for what it is - a part of poker.

You do seem to like to make sweeping generalisations that are ill-founded.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    no im saying it how it is poker is dog eat dog no best friends yep they are generalisation i admit that but they are not ill found
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    obviously u have not read anything i have put above only the small comment about people dont take it seriuos they  have fun rite here is an example say u suffer a BAD BEAT your angry so that means ur taking the game seriously enough 2 get angry there fore impling u do it 2 have fun is stupid , and as for see poker like a business thing i said ur going against the words ov DOYLE BRUNSON not me so why are u having a go at me lol and if u would ov read the comments above u could see why i cant play here really
    Posted by timebomb10
    I'm not having a go. In fact I said you must be a cash grinder and good on you? I merely pointed out that playing for fun doesn't mean your a losing player (as you had stated). Remember this a public forum so if your going to make a statement like that then you need to expect comments in retort. I treat this as a video game. I have an aim which is to earn more points than my opponents by using what i know about the game to my advantage. It's a bit of fun and if someone beats me then i move on and start the next game, possibly with the hump but that goes with the territory (i also get the hump when I play video games but that does not mean i take them "seriously"). As for taking the Words of Doyle Bruson on treating it like a business, well he has to..... It is his business, and he's made millions doing it. Football is Wayne Rooney's Job but i don't bother training 5 days a week in order to play with the lads from the pub on a sunday either
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hmm i can see where your coming from but when theres money involved the majority i think would rather do the business aspect then like a video game as u say not critising anyone just giving my point ov view and doyle brunson words were advice in the super system book which i think is completly right to do
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    and in phil hellmuths book dont play poker like you do when your with your friends in the pub as the aspects ov poker become way looser and they are willing 2 commit more chips as there is nothing 2 play for
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : I play for fun and I'm not a losing player. I can think of several other players who play for fun who make a decent profit too.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Im one of those players innit
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hmm i can see where your coming from but when theres money involved the majority i think would rather do the business aspect then like a video game as u say not critising anyone just giving my point ov view and doyle brunson words were advice in the super system book which i think is completly right to do
    Posted by timebomb10
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not slating what Doyle says (who am i to say the great man is wrong lol), Simply that advice only fits in certain circumstances (whatever the advice and whoever gives it). If you have ambitions of playing for a living or a large profit then i think your right, if your playing for amusment then the "Business" like approach may tarnish the social and fun aspects of playing (probably more linked with tourny play than cash)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    u are right some1 in this conversation that speaks sence read my pot odd thing i just posted and comment please :)
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    This post has rattled a few cages timebomb.

A number of points come to mind here.

1. Start a discussion relating to strategy by all means but don't start it off by effectively telling everyone who's about to read it they are rubbish at poker.

2. If people give differing opinions to yours then all well and good. That's what you wanted from your thread, wasn't it?

3. Never say never, that only shows your inexperience. How you play any given hand, including AA, should be dependent on various factors. Knowledge of the table, position in the hand, position relative to the tournament, relative chip stacks at the table and also gut feel.

4. Expect some attempts at humour by posters to your thread. This is generally a lighthearted and friendly forum and all the better for it.

Finally, how do I play AA? I would have to say I don't know. It would depend on all the above. Welcome to the forum timebomb and please enjoy it. Just remember that some folk on here are very successful and have many years of experience. The clever newcomers don't preach to the more experienced forum members, they join in with them and learn from them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol thanks for your post i dont really know what to say to it there is no right or wrong to play poker but limping when your willing to call a raise is stupid i think who ever you are .
    thanks for your post appriate it  completly
    i know tht i shouldnt ov called them rubbish i just wanted to get people 2 comment
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    lol thanks for your post i dont really know what to say to it there is no right or wrong to play poker but limping when your willing to call a raise is stupid i think who ever you are . thanks for your post appriate it  completly i know tht i shouldnt ov called them rubbish i just wanted to get people 2 comment
    Posted by timebomb10
    100% success there then :o)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol yep