You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

why does sky poker

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,156
    aussie09 said:

HAYSIE said:

aussie09 said:

the past 5 days the number of main entrants has been...
    261, 242, 244, 270 and 545 (264 + 281 rebuys) = 1,562

the same 5 days last year, monday to friday...
    300, 203, 287, 344 and 309 (150 + 159 rebuys) = 1,443

8.2% up this year on the comparable 5 day period last year

If you take out the Friday which is the only one that has shown strong growth in the last year, it then becomes a substantial loss. I am not just trying to make it look bad. The Friday is obviously the exception rather than the rule. Is the reason that it is a rebuy, a bounty hunter, or played on Friday.
    The other 4 nights represent around a 10% loss.
    The 4 nights are a very small snapshot, but you would surely question why after recruiting many thousands of new players, that the result was a loss of runners.
    The other thing that is obvious is that the statement about there being more players in the Winter than Summer is patently not true.

i can give up now. i have been trying to help with numbers.

if you feel that things are still less attractive than they were then that's perfectly ok. you did ask for specifics and i spent time doing that work for you.

i think the best thing is to "embrace the new normal". you are a superb player. far better than me. if only i could persuade you to recalibrate your game to match today's environment. you would clean up.

good luck.

Thanks for the figures, and the compliment, which is completely unjustified. However your opinions on how to recalibrate my game would be most appreciated, and best sent as a message, rather than published on the forum.
    Looking at the figures it seems we average around 260 runners 4 nights per week, around half of that on a Sunday, and just slightly less on a Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Friday is very strong and should therefore remain unchanged.
    Instead of the £110 buy in on a Sunday, would we be better with 3 nights of a £55 buy in, which would add up to the same amount of buy ins over the week.
    If we could maintain the 260 players and maybe add a re-entry, we could maybe reach £15k on 3 nights rather than one.
    Maybe something slightly different on one of them. Perhaps a straight £10 head prize to give the prize money a big boost.
    If we went back to the £11 buy in on a Tuesday. This would be a good boost for new players trying an mtt. If you ran no sats for the Tuesday main, so the sats on Tuesday would be for the summit and Wednesdays main. You might boost the both.
  • day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    HAYSIE said:

aussie09 said:

the past 5 days the number of main entrants has been...
    261, 242, 244, 270 and 545 (264 + 281 rebuys) = 1,562

the same 5 days last year, monday to friday...
    300, 203, 287, 344 and 309 (150 + 159 rebuys) = 1,443

8.2% up this year on the comparable 5 day period last year

If you take out the Friday which is the only one that has shown strong growth in the last year, it then becomes a substantial loss. I am not just trying to make it look bad. The Friday is obviously the exception rather than the rule. Is the reason that it is a rebuy, a bounty hunter, or played on Friday.
    The other 4 nights represent around a 10% loss.
    The 4 nights are a very small snapshot, but you would surely question why after recruiting many thousands of new players, that the result was a loss of runners.
    The other thing that is obvious is that the statement about there being more players in the Winter than Summer is patently not true.
    What do you want to hear ?
    When numbers don't suit your side its a small snap shot.
    You think all new players are going to start regging for the main every night ?
    If you can't see the difference in winter v summer than no matter what people say you will disagree.
    Summer people will be out later with kids etc so won't reg till later if at all.
    Winter darker earlier will play more.
    If your angle can't grasp a simple concept there is no point trying to help you understand why one game is more popular than another.
    Sky have tried running other games they are just not as popular which the numbers of failed freezeout deep stacks have had gtd reduced / cancelled proves.
    Every site will have increased numbers when they have a festival like UKOPS on as bigger gtds attract more players. Most will go back to there regular sites when its over.

What do you want to hear ?

I have put forward some suggestions, and asked some questions, but it wasn't me that asked the original question. The forum is a place where players can put forward their views, make suggestions, and ask questions. They might get their questions answered, suggestions considered, and their views listened to. From this improvements may be made. For instance I would love to see three £15k mains per week, rather than one, with no further outlay, and wouldn't care if they were bounty hunters or not. If Sky thought this was a good suggestion, and implemented it, then I am certain that many players would be happy, and prove the value of the forum. I don't intend to criticise Sky, but I think some improvements could be made.

When numbers don't suit your side its a small snap shot.

Whether you like it or not, the comparison of 4 nights is a snapshot. The numbers over the 4 nights fell by over 10% from last year to this, despite the many thousands of new players that have joined. The numbers are what they are, and indicate trends.

You think all new players are going to start regging for the main every night ?

Depends on whether they are brand new players, or experienced from another site.

If you can't see the difference in winter v summer than no matter what people say you will disagree.
    Summer people will be out later with kids etc so won't reg till later if at all.
    Winter darker earlier will play more.

At the start of the Summer a number of the guarantees on the main were reduced by £2,000, despite the fact that it is Winter, they are still at the lower level. Your explanation may therefore only exist in your imagination.

If your angle can't grasp a simple concept there is no point trying to help you understand why one game is more popular than another.

I accept that one game is more popular than the other, but was merely asking if the unbalanced schedule could be offputting for new players.

Sky have tried running other games they are just not as popular which the numbers of failed freezeout deep stacks have had gtd reduced / cancelled proves.

This proves that the schedule is popular with the current players, and maybe players that like playing on Sky, and are prepared to put up with it. What does it prove about the 1,000 new players per month, when the numbers of players seems to be standing still.

Every site will have increased numbers when they have a festival like UKOPS on as bigger gtds attract more players. Most will go back to there regular sites when its over.

I would agree, but you would hope to hang on to some. It is because Sky is such a good site, you surely have to ask the reason for not attracting and hanging on to, many more players.

• dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    At the start of the Summer a number of the guarantees on the main were reduced by £2,000, despite the fact that it is Winter, they are still at the lower level. Your explanation may therefore only exist in your imagination.

er....from another thread

Please note that the following Main Event Guarantees have been increased with immediate effect;

Monday – Marksman £6k to £8k

Tuesday – Gold Rush £6k to £8k

Wednesday - Predator £6k to £8k

Saturday – Sharpshooter £8k to £10k

er....from another thread

Please note that the following Main Event Guarantees have been increased with immediate effect;

Monday – Marksman £6k to £8k

Tuesday – Gold Rush £6k to £8k

Wednesday - Predator £6k to £8k

Saturday – Sharpshooter £8k to £10k

My apologies, I hadn't seen this.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    To be fair, i believe this was announced after your post.

All is good.
    Good luck.
    Yes it was, I just looked. Good luck to you too.

When I joined sky I was amazed at the amount of bounty hunters in the schedule. It was certainly far more than any other site I had played on. Time and time again I have tried various non bounties in the schedule. To name a few, Gold Rush (non bh), Iceman and Mini Iceman, Reload (non bh), Super Rebuy, Dealer stealer. Avenger (non Bh).
    Every time we had to reduce the guarantee and then either cancel it altogether or make it a bounty hunter. It's basic demand and supply, certainly not through us not wanting variety in the schedule.

Whilst reading another thread on the weekend, I couldnt help noticing a reference made to a thread, which I can only assume was this one, even though it was not specific. The comment related to the way in which this thread was in some way critical of the work you do.
    I have contributed a number of posts to this thread, but had no intention of being critical of you. Your comments clearly point out that you pretty much inherited this schedule, and any efforts that you have made to add balance to the schedule have gone unsupported.
    I therefore feel that any criticism would be completely unjustified.
    Just about everyone associated with Sky is complimentary about the job you do. I couldnt disagree with this.
    I would sincerely apologise for any comments that I have made, that have been misinterpreted as being critical of you.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,544
    I hear what you say, Haysie. On a personal level, I (and probably many of the people you perceive as attacking you) agree with a lot of what you say.

The trouble is, the real reason for the plethora of Bounty Hunters is not just "supply and demand", it is the community here, ie the players themselves. Players here do not support the non-bounty MTTs enough-that is the real reason. Unfair to expect Sky to pour money down the toilet-they are a business. They constantly try to find new ways to bring more balance, but WE do not support them in sufficient numbers. I would, and I'm sure you would-but not enough agree with their entry monies.

The 1 thing that I disagree with you on is Sky's positioning in the market place. They are undoubtedly increasing market share in a shrinking market place, as well as making a profit in one. I'm sure I would like a selection of games similar to you, but I am confident we would make less money-that is why we play, and they run the thing ;)
    I would agree, I don't think any of the regulars wants to see Sky throwing money down the toilet.
    I am not sure if the current schedule makes it easy to attract and retain new players in general.
    Whereas it will surely attract and retain those new players that like bounty hunters, and if this is the case it can never change, as the majority will always prefer bounty hunters.
    It just seems logical that the more variety you have in your schedule the more new players you are likely to attract.
    Bounty hunters don't all have to be exactly the same.
    I am glad that the solution is not down to me.
    I haven't a clue about the profitability, but as a general point, I don't think there are any more players playing the tournaments that I play.
    How long will it be before someone else starts a thread entitled Why so many bounty hunters?
  • aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    And why so many 6-handed tables.

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    If only Sky would introduce antes. I'm sure that would attract new players
  • aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited November 2017
    In 10 years time, BT Poker will create a new tv show with table graphics that rise up from the floor as if by magic.

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    Thunderous applause
    aussie09 said:

In 10 years time, BT Poker will create a new tv show with table graphics that rise up from the floor as if by magic.

Really.
    Jac35 said:

If only Sky would introduce antes. I'm sure that would attract new players

Antes have been talked about for ages.
    aussie09 said:

And why so many 6-handed tables.

you know what they say about sarcasm.
  • notbrook1notbrook1 Member Posts: 72
    the lack of antes are the biggest problem, people just fold their way into the money
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    notbrook1 said:

the lack of antes are the biggest problem, people just fold their way into the money

most MTTs here pay 10%, with a few 15%.

the standard on most other sites, which all have antes, are 15-18%, some as high as 20%.