You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal

Comments

• Options
    PokerNoonPokerNoon Member Posts: 202
    edited December 2013
    There's more than one way of making £50 a day. 

You could win 12 £5.50 DYMs in a row. Or 6 £11 ones. Or 3 £22 ones. Or...erm...a lot of 60p ones.

Or you could win 1 and a bit £55 DYMs.

And that's what I did today. But...my god it was tough. I felt I played it really well actually. Played well to accumulate an extra 1000 chips, so I'm sat as the big stack on 3000 with everyone else under 2000 fighting it out.

At this point I'm happy to let them scrap each other unless I have a great hand. Unfortunately what happens is one person gets eliminated then it's a real dogfight to get rid of the final 2. I play it tight for a while but then I inevitably get drawn into the cat and mouse of the 'all in' fest that comes when the blinds get big. 

Also played 2 £22 DYMs. First was straightforward. Second seemed straightforward until I made a really silly error and lost 800 chips. That ended up costing me the game because the guy who got 3rd spot was the guy I passed 800 chips too. I was trying just a bit too hard to eliminate him with a marginal hand. Oh well.

Played a couple of $33 DYMs on another site because the traffic wasn't great here this afternoon. Cashed in both. I decided to reinvest some of this money in some of the 18 seater SNGs on that site (3 x 6 seater tables). In both games I made the final table but didn't cash. I'll definitely try those again at some point, but will knock them on the head for now.

So a pretty decent day.

Today's Results

DYMs 
    £55: 1 cash: £45
    £22: 1 cash, 1 loss - -£4
    $33: 2 cash: £34 (roughly, after USD to GBP conversion)

18 seater SNGs 
    $11: 2 loss: - £13.50

Total: £61.50

Not a bad day at all. Also spent the morning watching some poker training videos, coming up with a few new plays and strategies and testing them out on Advanced Poker Training. Bit of tweaking needed, but what I was doing seemed to work well. I feel I'm putting opponents in tight spots constantly, which is exactly what I want.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Just to add to that...

...today was the first day where I was sat there assessing the type of opponent I was up against in each pot, where they were at, and what they were thinking, both about their hand and what I was holding, and the bets that I was making.

What was most pleasing is that there were so many occasions where I was able to think 'he's done a, if I reply with b then I think he will do c and then if I do d I will win the pot off him'...and the pot played out exactly as I planned it.

That's probably the biggest buzz I've gotten since I started playing, the feeling that I'm starting to get it, to understand what's going on (to a point, obviously).

It's one thing to throw all your chips into the middle, cross everything and hope the cards are nice to you...it's another to make a strategic plan for each hand you play and for it to actually work. 

Anyway...time for bed. Enough bigging myself up.
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited December 2013
    Brilliant mate!  Seems you've come on leaps and bounds in such a short space of time.  Just the fact that you're thinking about every move and what you will do if they do a certain thing, shows that you're improving.
  • Options
    VickiPKRVickiPKR Member Posts: 155
    edited December 2013
    So no one is thinking this guy know's exactly how to play poker and seems to be doing very very well, whilst sucking you all in with his "oh what am I doing" posts?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    DoubleAAA - thanks mate, much appreciated. You know I'm grateful for all the time you've put in to help me out so far.

In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal:
    So no one is thinking this guy know's exactly how to play poker and seems to be doing very very well, whilst sucking you all in with his "oh what am I doing" posts?
    Posted by VickiPKR
    Ha, do you also believe the twin towers was an inside job? And that JFK was a conspiracy too? (which it may well have been)

I wouldn't say I'm doing very very well, just 'reasonably' well, but thanks anyway. Genuinely I had never played holdem before the start of November. But I'm not playing after work for an hour or two a night like most people. I'm playing all day, every day and trying really hard after every session (especially every time I make a mistake and lose) to figure out what to do next time.

Plus everyone here has been super helpful, possibly to their own detriment if I end up taking money off them.

If you're suggesting this thread is an elaborate hustle, a way of making the regs think I'm a total fish...it's a bit elaborate isn't it? A lot of effort put in for not that much reward. If I was that good (which I really wish I was) I'd just go and play and take everyone's money without creating long forum posts, surely?

If you want to add credence to my claims that I really am new to poker, look me up on Sharkscope. I'm PokerNoon on both here and iPoker. You'll see a small profit on iPoker and a small loss on here (although that includes about £100 of tournaments that I managed to satellite into for free). 

If you look at both graphs you'll see a consistent losing pattern followed by a consistent winning pattern when I started to 'get it'. Not saying I've got it nailed now of course, that would be ridiculous. On both networks I've played about 100 games, which also stands up to the amount of time I claim to have been playing.

But thanks, I take your comment as a compliment ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ignore me, I suck at poker lol..

I'm losing, check my sharkscope I'm almost £30 in the brown stuff since June, I expected to have taken down the WSOP by now. As you can imagine being £26 down instead of £8million up has come as quite a shock and something I did not prepare for.

I see you play a lot of the higher value DYM's, I should try them, but they stink of collusion whenever I watch them on any site. To much Skyping envolved.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ignore me, I suck at poker lol.. I'm losing, check my sharkscope I'm almost £30 in the brown stuff since June, I expected to have taken down the WSOP by now. As you can imagine being £26 down instead of £8million up has come as quite a shock and something I did not prepare for. I see play a lot of the higher value DYM's, I should try them, but they stink of collusion whenever I watch them on any site. To much Skyping envolved.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    Ha, I can see how that would sting a little.

That said, being almost breakeven seems to mean you're ahead of most of the players I look up. Although having SS categorise you as a 'fish' must be somewhat upsetting ;)

That said, I'm dubious about how they define players on there. Good players seem to get a star next to their name. I looked up a guy yesterday on the iPoker network. Some Russian dude...£115k negative. A HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN GRAND!!!!

Yet he still had a star next to his name..what's all that about!!?
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    edited December 2013
    How's the Advanced Poker training going?
    How much time per day does it take up?
    Is it worth doing?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I see you play a lot of the higher value DYM's, I should try them, but they stink of collusion whenever I watch them on any site. To much Skyping envolved.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    Even if there was collusion, it doesn't mean you can't beat them. Besides, if you want to take down the WSOP you have to up your stakes at some point!

I like to try these games as a 'float'. If I win a few games at one level, I try the next level up. If I win, I stay there. If I lose I go back down and rebuild the bankroll. Seems to be (for me at least) a good way of testing out your level without having to break the bank.

Worth a shot?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited December 2013
    Ignore me, I suck at poker lol.. I'm losing, check my sharkscope I'm almost £30 in the brown stuff since June, I expected to have taken down the WSOP by now. As you can imagine being £26 down instead of £8million up has come as quite a shock and something I did not prepare for. I see you play a lot of the higher value DYM's, I should try them, but they stink of collusion whenever I watch them on any site. To much Skyping envolved.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    I know you try to wind people up with each and every post you make.
    However,  these bits, on Sky, is simply not true. 

"They stink of collusion"
    "To much skyping envolved"
  • Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Ha, I can see how that would sting a little. That said, being almost breakeven seems to mean you're ahead of most of the players I look up. Although having SS categorise you as a 'fish' must be somewhat upsetting ;) That said, I'm dubious about how they define players on there. Good players seem to get a star next to their name. I looked up a guy yesterday on the iPoker network. Some Russian dude...£115k negative. A HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN GRAND!!!! Yet he still had a star next to his name..what's all that about!!?
    Posted by PokerNoon
    theres 2 leaderboards on all sites which award stars for where you are on the table, one table is for total profit and one table is for amount of games played, i suspect that the guy 115k in the red has just played a heap of games. if you hover over his star it tells you why he has it!!! you also get stars for breaking records etc like winning such and such amount of dyms in a row or winning x amount of heads up sngs on the spin.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    How's the Advanced Poker training going? How much time per day does it take up? Is it worth doing?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Actually I barely use it anymore. I sometimes log in to test out new ideas and theories that I ever steal off the internet, get from folks on here or come up with myself. In that sense it's useful.

But the most value I got was right at the start of my 'career', many moons ago (6 or 7 weeks to be more precise). Rather than most training courses which are theory and video based, you sit down and actually play poker.

I found I could rattle through up to 800 hands an hour. For each hand you can switch the 'advisor' on, who tells you the move he thinks you should be playing.

So I played about 40,000 hands within 3 weeks and I think that gave me a good grounding of ABC poker. But after a while I figured it out a bit and found I could beat the so-called toughest level, the 'KGB dungeon' consistently. Yet any time I entered a real life online cash game I would lose my entire stack.

At that point I stopped using the training so much and concentrated on real life poker. It's really useful for a starting player to cut their learning curve. For example, from the very first cash game I played, I already knew that it was a terrible play to limp with K6o UTG. It also taught me not to get excited just because I'm holding an Ace, that sort of thing.

Stuff that seems basic, but that a serious amount of players online don't seem to be aware of. In the last DYM I played, there was a guy doing the limping strategy persistently. And I look people like this up and sharkscope tells me they have played 4000 games online! I wonder how you can play so many games without thinking 'this isn't working for me, I'll try something else'.

So I guess with the APT it depends where your game is at. I'm guessing in your case that you're probably too advanced for it. 

• Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : theres 2 leaderboards on all sites which award stars for where you are on the table, one table is for total profit and one table is for amount of games played, i suspect that the guy 115k in the red has just played a heap of games. if you hover over his star it tells you why he has it!!! you also get stars for breaking records etc like winning such and such amount of dyms in a row or winning x amount of heads up sngs on the spin.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Right..I did hover over his star but I can't remember what it was for. He definitely has played a ton of games (about 120k I think).

I noticed on there that there were people massively in the red who were playing on my table and making terrible plays (like persistent open limping) but playing 15-20 tables at once. The more I see of online poker, the more I genuinely believe that there is serious money to be made by going at it in a focused, targetted way.

That said, I haven't quite figured out what that way is yet, and I'm not good enough to do it at the moment either.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Even if there was collusion, it doesn't mean you can't beat them. Besides, if you want to take down the WSOP you have to up your stakes at some point! I like to try these games as a 'float'. If I win a few games at one level, I try the next level up. If I win, I stay there. If I lose I go back down and rebuild the bankroll. Seems to be (for me at least) a good way of testing out your level without having to break the bank. Worth a shot?
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Hey, if you're playing with money you can afford to lose, you fully understand what you're doing, you enjoy, and you have the potential to make a few quid profit....YEAH MAN..Its defintely worth a shot.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Actually I barely use it anymore. I sometimes log in to test out new ideas and theories that I ever steal off the internet, get from folks on here or come up with myself. In that sense it's useful. But the most value I got was right at the start of my 'career', many moons ago (6 or 7 weeks to be more precise). Rather than most training courses which are theory and video based, you sit down and actually play poker. I found I could rattle through up to 800 hands an hour. For each hand you can switch the 'advisor' on, who tells you the move he thinks you should be playing. So I played about 40,000 hands within 3 weeks and I think that gave me a good grounding of ABC poker. But after a while I figured it out a bit and found I could beat the so-called toughest level, the 'KGB dungeon' consistently. Yet any time I entered a real life online cash game I would lose my entire stack. At that point I stopped using the training so much and concentrated on real life poker. It's really useful for a starting player to cut their learning curve. For example, from the very first cash game I played, I already knew that it was a terrible play to limp with K6o UTG. It also taught me not to get excited just because I'm holding an Ace, that sort of thing. Stuff that seems basic, but that a serious amount of players online don't seem to be aware of. In the last DYM I played, there was a guy doing the limping strategy persistently. And I look people like this up and sharkscope tells me they have played 4000 games online! I wonder how you can play so many games without thinking 'this isn't working for me, I'll try something else'. So I guess with the APT it depends where your game is at. I'm guessing in your case that you're probably too advanced for it. 
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Thanks for the reply Mr Noon
    I don't think anyone is too advanced to learn more.
    GL with your game
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Right..I did hover over his star but I can't remember what it was for. He definitely has played a ton of games (about 120k I think). I noticed on there that there were people massively in the red who were playing on my table and making terrible plays (like persistent open limping) but playing 15-20 tables at once. The more I see of online poker, the more I genuinely believe that there is serious money to be made by going at it in a focused, targetted way. That said, I haven't quite figured out what that way is yet, and I'm not good enough to do it at the moment either.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    It is 100% still possible to make money in online poker, take the main, Maybe 550 runners you only need to get in the last 10% to cash. An that is not really that hard with a tight game.
  • Options
    ff55hhff55hh Member Posts: 395
    edited December 2013
    Hello pokernoon,

Really enjoying the diary, hope it works out well.

I added you on the ipoker network yesterday, I was wondering if you could give me a quick yes or no regarding WBX.

I got banned from betfair in my student days for ramping on the forums.

All the reviews online are pretty dated and I'm sure the liquidity is a joke compared to betfair but can you give any positives for this exchange or is it one to avoid???

Thanks.
  • Options
    sim_mosim_mo Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2013
    Noony, Please take this in the intended spirit, which is constructive, I'm am NOT knocking you, but...... You seem to be trying to be all things to all men, almost a jack-of-all-trades.   You are new to poker, & are going along nicely, but in one day, you are playing THREE different formats - DYM's, Tourneys, & Cash.   I've yet to meet a poker player on earth who was equally good at all three formats.   If I were your poker Mentor or coach (God forbid, lol!), I would insist you stuck to ONE Format for a minimum of 3 months, until you have found your feet. And, given that you are taking this seriously, it would NOT include MTT's - the variance in those things is massive. Even the very best MTT players can go months without a decent cash.   It hurts me to see your hard-earned DYM profits going down the MTT route.   The Thread Title is " Making a Full Time Wage from Poker ". If that remains the plan, I'd cut out the MTT's, & decide between Cash & DYM's. Logically, cash games would be the best route. I'd estimate that over 90% of Poker Pros earn their wages in Cash Games. Very very few do so in MTT's.   Anyway, I'm not your mentor or Coach, so it's as you were..... Good luck.       
    Posted by Tikay10

by far the best bit of advice you will ever get mr pokernoon. having played a good few dyms with you recently a little tip i would give is that you need to change the way you play the early levels. you are way to loose. GL on your journey

• Options
    edited December 2013
    ff55hh - No idea about WBX. Try matchbook - they have 0% commission on football at the moment.

Sim_mo - I hear what you're saying and you're not the first to say it, but my DYM style isn't the same as everyone else's 'fold everything that isn't Aces or Kings'. I do agree to a point that I've been a little loose and it's cost me in some games, but the aggression I'm showing is winning me a lot of games too. I haven't got it perfect just yet, but I'm getting there. 

Anyway...

Today's Update.

Today was the day of the big cash game at the casino. My first ever live cash game. I turned up at 8.30 with a mate of mine and discovered it wasn't due to start until 10. It finally got going about 10.45, and a 4 handed game was taking place.

Looked like 3 sharks were sat waiting to take the money off a really loud drunk guy.

I watched the table dynamics for a bit and thought 'ok, let's get in' and bought in with 100BBs (that's £100). The blinds were £1/£1 btw, if anyone's interested.

I decided to sit to the immediate left of the drunk guy. That way it was easy for me to isolate him with reraises etc. Also meant that he wasn't able to go wild and reraise me easily. Last thing I wanted was me opening the betting UTG and him 3-betting me every hand and putting me in tight spots.

I made a mistake early on and lost a few quid. But then I got lucky and hit QQx on the flop when holding AQ. I couldn't believe my luck when Mr Loud-and-steaming decided to shove all in on me. I snapped called his hand off pretty much and he looked at me shocked 'why are you calling!?!?'

To add insult to injury I rivered the Ace for a tasty Queens over Aces Full House. He only had 99!

I played a few more hands after this but my drunk friend went all in again with the remainder of his chips about 3 hands later and lost them all. He then sensibly decided to pack it in. Since my easy source of chips was gone, I called it a night too. Sat down with £100, cashed out £150. Nice effort for 30 mins work. Although I won't get a full house like that every week, sadly.

Got back home and played a 10/20nl cash game. Turned £20 in £38 in no time at all. Time was 2.09 and I thought 'will play until 2.15'. Somehow managed to lose £25 in that time. Annoying. So instead of leaving the table 20 quid up, I left it £7 down.

Today's Numbers:

DYMs
    £22: 1 win, 1 loss: -£4
    £5.50: 1 win, 1 loss: -£1

Cash
    Live 1/1nl: £50
    Online 10/20nl: -£6.88

Total: £38.12

Bit frustrated I didn't cash out at 2.09 instead of £2.15 as that number would have been over 60 quid profit again. Oh well. I didn't feel like I played badly. Top pair, good kicker beaten by full house. Top pair, Ace kicker with flush draw beaten by a set in the very next hand by the same person who had only just arrived at the table. 

I tried not to bloat the pot too much, but I was still going to call the guy down with top pair top kicker. Especially on these tables where people will happily keep playing on with second or third pair, or even Ace high.

Still, I'm going to bed relatively happy after the live cash game success. There's a decent chance I'll return next week. I really want to nail cash online though. Every single game I play I improve my stack by about 50-80% before suddenly going into freefall and ending the session in the negative.

I'm not sure right now if that's a problem with me, or just coincidence. 

• Options
    ff55hhff55hh Member Posts: 395
    edited December 2013
    Clearly a very slick website but they don't seem to do horse racing.
    Thats a tidy concession they're offering on sports too.
    Any idea why they offer odds to 3 decimal places??? Seems a bit excessive.

Ta for the info anyway pal :-)