You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal

Comments

• Options
    PokerNoonPokerNoon Member Posts: 202
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal:
    Clearly a very slick website but they don't seem to do horse racing. Thats a tidy concession they're offering on sports too. Any idea why they offer odds to 3 decimal places??? Seems a bit excessive. Ta for the info anyway pal :-)
    Posted by ff55hh
    3 decimal places - for the more precise, discerning gambler. 

Why don't you use Betfair/Ladbrokes exchange btw? Ladbrokes exchange is not bad these days for liquidity.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,076
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : 3 decimal places - for the more precise, discerning gambler.  Why don't you use Betfair/Ladbrokes exchange btw? Ladbrokes exchange is not bad these days for liquidity.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    I'm sure Sky will be over the "moon" with this post promoting other betting sites
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : I'm sure Sky will be over the "moon" with this post promoting other betting sites
    Posted by VespaPX
    When Sky opens its own betting exchange (ie allowing lay bets as well as back bets) then I'll be all over that ;)

Anyway..I think I should really bring this thread back to poker.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : When Sky opens its own betting exchange (ie allowing lay bets as well as back bets) then I'll be all over that ;) Anyway..I think I should really bring this thread back to poker.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    May be worth heading over to punters corner to discuss non-poker stuff??

Gl with the poker
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : May be worth heading over to punters corner to discuss non-poker stuff?? Gl with the poker
    Posted by VespaPX
    Cheers Vespa..Mick I think is it?

Yeah, I don't mind a bit of tangental chat on here, it is a journal after all. I think people like to hear about 'life' stuff as well as just simple 'I played this hand and this happened'. 

It's a fine line between making the blog interesting and making it full of 90% irrelevance though ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Cheers Vespa..Mick I think is it? Yeah, I don't mind a bit of tangental chat on here, it is a journal after all. I think people like to hear about 'life' stuff as well as just simple 'I played this hand and this happened'.  It's a fine line between making the blog interesting and making it full of 90% irrelevance though ;)
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Yes its Mick
    Agreed that the life stuff makes a more interesting read.
    Always good to get a bit of background.
    Yours is one of a few threads i catch up on most days.
    Cheers
  • Options
    a00rocka00rock Member Posts: 832
    edited December 2013
    This has been a great read so far with some interesting topics that I didn't even know existed lol (the result of a very sheltered life). Good luck on your journey and I'm sure that with persistence you will achieve your goals.

Ray
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Yes its Mick Agreed that the life stuff makes a more interesting read. Always good to get a bit of background. Yours is one of a few threads i catch up on most days. Cheers
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick, I appreciate that. Just out of interest, what is it that makes you want to read this thread as opposed to others? It's good for me to know what people like to read about (keep your customers happy).
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This has been a great read so far with some interesting topics that I didn't even know existed lol (the result of a very sheltered life). Good luck on your journey and I'm sure that with persistence you will achieve your goals. Ray
    Posted by a00rock

Ha, thanks for the kind words Ray, much appreciated. I think however it's me that's living the sheltered life, staying indoors and gambling all day...

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,258
    edited December 2013
    Hi m8

Got your PM and sent you one back. Going to be offline for about a week from tomorrow

If your looking for "Punters Corner" as Vespa suggested. Its now called "Fancy a bet"

Personally i preffered "Punters Corner" but its well worth a read. I,m sure you,ll find it interesting with your punting background 
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Thanks Mick, I appreciate that. Just out of interest, what is it that makes you want to read this thread as opposed to others? It's good for me to know what people like to read about (keep your customers happy).
    Posted by PokerNoon

Just interested how a new player gets on, and im also a DYM player but have moved over to PLO8 DYM's recently as i was getting a little bored with Holdem.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Making a Full Time Wage From Poker - PokerNoon's Journal : Just interested how a new player gets on, and im also a DYM player but have moved over to PLO8 DYM's recently as i was getting a little bored with Holdem.
    Posted by VespaPX
    I thought you were going to say it's because of my fascinating, informative and amusing/witty insights that have you glued to the screen from start to finish of every single post...but your reason is also fine ;)
  • Options
    VickiPKRVickiPKR Member Posts: 155
    edited December 2013
    Clearly a very slick website but they don't seem to do horse racing. Thats a tidy concession they're offering on sports too. Any idea why they offer odds to 3 decimal places??? Seems a bit excessive. Ta for the info anyway pal :-)
    Posted by ff55hh
    3 decimal places suit some, it also helps with offering the best odds, even if it is .001 better than everyone else,
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ARGH! Just typed a long update and it disappeared, telling me my forum login had expired. I wish the forum boffins here would spend 10 minutes writing some code that saves your post when this happens and posts it for you when you enter your login details, instead of throwing it away forever, never to be seen again.

Anyway...today's update.

As you may be able to tell, I am not in a great mood right now.

The day started well enough - £25 profit on the 10/20nl cash tables in about an hour.

Then I went out to my parents for a nice roast meal. Slow cooked beef brisket covered in thick gravy. Yum.

Back home later for a £33 DYM. Went out on the bubble. Just got dealt one set of unshovable cards after another. Best hand I had for about 15 rounds was 8 high!

Eventually I get Q10 in the SB. I shove on the BB who calls. Turns out he has QA. Not much I could do about that, just bad timing. Still, I hate losing money.

Experimented later with speed poker on another network. Turned $50 in $125 in about an hour. Rescued a mediocre day...OR SO I THOUGHT.

Looked at the clock - 12.03. 'I'll knock this on the head at 12.10' I decided.

At 12.09 (seriously, I'm not making this up for dramatic purposes) I was dealt QQ in the BB. UTG raises. UTG+1 3 bets. Being the hard nosed 'gangsta' that I am, I throw in a 4bet (everyone else unsurprisingly folded) and find I get shoved on.

I know that I'm likely up against Aces or Kings and the only sensible thing to do is fold. SO WHY THE **** DO I HIT THE CALL BUTTON?!?!?!?

I find myself in a 3 way battle between AK, KK and my lowly Queens. The Kings held out and I was straight from $75 up to $25 down in the blink of an eye. Ironically JJ would have won, but that doesn't help me much.

So today's results are...

£23 loss.

I'm now in the weird position where I feel I played vastly superior poker today (on the whole) to any other day that I've played so far. But one false move and I have nothing to show for it.

Kind of like the goalkeeper who is in inspired form. For 89 minutes he is everywhere, flying around the goal in a blur, totally unbeatable; the cat, if you will. In the 90th minute a tame backpass bobbles up over his foot as he shapes to kick the ball and it rolls agonisingly over the line and into the net.

I feel like that guy now (Robert Green, 2010 World Cup, England V USA). Actually I imagine his suffering was probably a touch worse than mine in fairness.

Still pretty annoyed. Even worse, I'm angry with myself which doesn't help. At least when you're raging at someone else you have the benefit of moral superiority to lessen the blow.

But..I will regroup the troops and I will be back tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Wow...what an AMAZING day.

My first 3 figure result (well, positive 3 figure result anyway).

Played speed poker for a few hours and made...

£132 profit

Excellent result. That's more (after tax) than I used to make in my old job. Obviously this is only the result of one day and doesn't tell too much - so I'm not getting carried away just yet. I do however feel that things are starting to click into place.

Most pleasing was that this wasn't the result of good fortune. In fact I had AA gubbed by 66 in an all-in battle, and loss a flush to a FH too and still managed to turn a nice profit. 

My bread and butter was simply taking down many reasonable sized pots preflop. 

I was 4 betting, 5 betting...even threw in a 4 bet bluff at one stage (my heart was pounding heavy when I did that one). Got a major buzz when everyone folded right afterwards.

However I feel bad for playing speed poker on another site and writing my journal on here. I still see Sky as my spiritual home, but I think there is more money for me elsewhere. I like that I can get through 300 hands an hour on speed poker, and that option just doesn't exist here. Yes I could multitable, but I've never managed to make that work before now. I prefer to do one thing at once (I'm a simple man in many regards).

So my plan has now changed. I'm shelving the DYMs for now and concentrating on speed poker. If I keep on making 3 figures I will reinvest that into as many MTTs as I can afford on Sky, because I really enjoy the tournaments.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm not sure people like to read about speedy success stories. They like to see a painful struggle against adversity, including numerous trials and tribulations and the constant doubt of whether the main protagonist will come through or not. No great film ever involved the hero deciding 'I'm going to be a successful x', then going out and achieving it easily, with no slogs along the way.

So it's with a sense of sheepish delight that I announce that today was even better than yesterday.

In about 2 hours this afternoon on speed poker I made...

£182 profit.

Excited now. If I carry on like this I'll forget about horse trading and stick with poker. It was a bit swingy today - went $50 up, then over $100 down...then had a break for an hour or so, came back and just went on a massive rampage.

Anyway...time to wrap up here for the day and go wrap up some presents instead (see what I did there).

Merry Christmas to you all!! 

And thanks again to everyone who's been reading this, who's contributed and who's made an effort (sometimes a very large effort) to help me out. It is much appreciated, and should I ever meet you folks, the drinks are on me.*

*1 small beverage, alcohol not included
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Anyone still reading this?

So what goes up must come down.

My hot run has been immediately followed by a freezing cold streak. 

My speed poker BR that I built up to £400 is now down to under £100, due to sessions yesterday (xmas day) and today. Particularly this morning, I lost about 300 dollars in half an hour. 

Can't quite decide whether I was playing badly or just suffering horrible luck.

Three times in a row I lost my stack when holding KK and getting it all in. Once preflop vs AA, once preflop vs QQ. But the worst was vs K5. 

Flop is K5x, so both me and villain think we're good. Turn comes down 5. Now we both have full houses but mine is better. We both have about half our stacks in at this point.

River comes and it's the final 5 in the deck and he shoves all in about a millisecond later.

Now my question is - could I have gotten away from this, knowing the possibility of quads given the board, and the speed of his shove? Or do you always have to call when you're holding the best full house on the board?

In the previous 2 days I was winning nearly all the major 50/50 battles (AK vs lower PP for example). In the last 24 hours I'm losing them all.

Also I don't know if it's because it's xmas and everyone is drunk, but there has been a noticeable increase in aggression.

Example - I'm in the BB holding AQ suited. Button is first to act raises to 3BB. I then 3bet to 10BB. On Xmas eve and earlier nearly always people were folding here. Now I'm getting shoved on. I can't quite work out whether people are shoving with A rag hands or whether I've just been unlucky and finding myself coming up against big hands over and over.

Obviously I only need the raise-3bet-shove-fold combination 3 times and my stack is depleted severely.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2013
    I'm reading this PokerNoon, found it interesting so far. Out of interest what stakes speed cash are you playing? and with what roll? i may habe missed out on the post where you said so apologies if so, i would just say as i'm sure loads of others will say poker is a long term day you will have atrocious days where nothing goes your way and oyu will question everything about your game and some days where you think you are a genius, with experience you learn to just stay consistent with your decision making and deal with it but being relatively new to poker i guess you will have a steep learning processin regards to the mental side of the game. If you search the web you will find pdf/book called the mental game of poker by jared tendler of which i found some chapters very helpful when i have had some tough stages in the past, good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm reading this PokerNoon, found it interesting so far. Out of interest what stakes speed cash are you playing? and with what roll? i may habe missed out on the post where you said so apologies if so, i would just say as i'm sure loads of others will say poker is a long term day you will have atrocious days where nothing goes your way and oyu will question everything about your game and some days where you think you are a genius, with experience you learn to just stay consistent with your decision making and deal with it but being relatively new to poker i guess you will have a steep learning processin regards to the mental side of the game. If you search the web you will find pdf/book called the mental game of poker by jared tendler of which i found some chapters very helpful when i have had some tough stages in the past, good luck.
    Posted by benc
    Thanks Benc. 

I've been playing $.5/1 speed poker with $100 stack. $100BB is the max stack you can sit down with on there.

I can certainly identify with the ultimate god/worst player who ever lived swing of emotions where the game is concerned.

Have you read that book and if so, what insights did you take from it? I'll certainly check it out.
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2013
    It just touches on alot of concepts to do with mindset in regards to poker, i had alot of issues with tilt when i grinded alot of HUsngs, i have played thousands now so i am alot better but it took alot of time to stop cursing "fish" whose stupid decisions would cost me money short term, without thinking about the bigger picture and how them decisions are what make my profit from the games. Give it a search, you can source a free pdf if you have a good search around, or alternatively pm an email and i'll send it across to you. The hands you mention sound like pure coolers, variance being unkind nothing you can do and nothing that long term will have a massive impact on your winrate, it's reviewing how you play after you have had some bad luck which is important as that is what will start to affect winrate, e.g maybe confidence drops you can start tightening up, not value betting when you should be or calling too wide, or not enough in marginal spots etc thats what i have found when i have started to tilt a little because of the big hands which are not casuing the issues in my play but it's a kind of hangover of decisions slightly being changed because of a cooler that will then creep into your play in that session and cause you to make slightly worse decisions or something. I'm by no means an expert and i still tilt and have awful sessions even after playing thousands of HU games i've just got better at reviewing and trying to pick out instances where my play has slightly altered and led to a bad session.

Also i didn't mean your buy in, i mean your bankroll i.e your playing 100nl do you have like 10 buy ins- 20 buy ins? etc etc e.g you have like £1000 in your account so 10 buy ins for that stake.