You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Highs Lows & Scoopio's

Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
edited February 2018 in Poker Chat
Hello all,  Been a while since ive been able to get back into playing on SKY. 
was a reguler player with sky playing a mix of games, cash dym's deep stacks BH's and had a diary before which i just lost track of really when not being able to play. Having now settled into my new home and the arriuval of my second daughter, i feel its time to get back into playing on a more regular basis.

The only major difference now is im not playing NLH, ive decided to try my luck at PLO8. It is a game i just love at the minute and started playing a little of it before i stopped playing. and just recently over the past couple of weeks finf myself just wanting to play this format

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,970
    edited July 2016

Good stuff, Chris, it's been great to see you play so well this week, and more importantly, seem to enjoy it so much. That's the whole key to poker - enjoying it. The forum suggests many just don't get that.

I'll be along later this afternoon for a session - got to watch the F1 GP first, then have a quick nap, after that, I'm booked for a full session.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    You are probally right there chilling, will prob be end up posting the majority lol.

Just going to reg one or two games for now whilst watching star trek, think the new films have been great so watching the first one again while i play,

the im off out for a pool match at 6.30 it a doubles game hopfully chalk up a win there.

then it will be home and get orgaised for work tomorrow.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited July 2016
    Good luck Chris
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    managed a few games today before pool and after. still got a few wins so happy mainly the way things are going

so far the first 40 games complete and stats are...

PLO8 DYMWONLOSTPLAYED0.601 11.151 12.256173.30228305.50 11TOTAL301040
  • Options
    Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited July 2016
    Thought it said scorpio's :S

Well done Chris, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,970
    edited July 2016

What a superb thread title, Chris. WP.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: ----Highs Lows & Scoopio's----:
    Thought it said scorpio's :S Well done Chris, keep up the good work.
    Posted by Darkangel7

No, SCOOPIO... a phrase to say when u win both low and high pot..... if u dont allready know that is. well...... i think thats what it is anyway lol as its quite new to me as well. :)
    Although u must be carefull when you use it as some people dont take it too kindly lol. Refer to tikays thread in recent posts lol.

i just Felt it had a niCe ring to it for the thread/diary title, not just describing the game but guessing my moods as well as i think there will be plenty of high and low moments when playing this game. hopefully more highs though and hopefully plenty posts about ..........

SCOOPIO'S!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    So small update on how things are going, not played as many games in last couple of days, been busy with new job position, new daughter and when i get a chance playin this new game lol. Lots of new's.  But enjoying all of them.

New postion at work is different from what i was doing before, but it a new challeng and hopefully it works out.  I work for a training company and have done since leaving the Army in 2010, started of as hgv instructor then was trained up on other aspects from forklifts to HIAB'S to CPC classroom based courses.  Then last year was givinn a new rolas an SVQ/NVQ Assesor, dealing with modern apprecticeships in Driving Goods Vehicles and Warehousing. Was a great and refreshing change and its great to be able to do all these different things.  Then a couple of weeks ago was asked again if i fancied a change and to take on a new role, I dont like saying no to challenges so accepted.  The new role is selling the svq's... i say sell they are free.. the hard part is to get new and companies that are interested in investing in their staff.. thats the hard part. But so far so good and hopefully works out as i am enjoying the role......Anyone reading this in the transport and logistic buisness in scotland.. dont be scraed to get in touch :).

Anyway onto the PLO8, one hand to discuss, was lat night in a £3.30, its not aimed at anyones play other than my own, it was on the bubble so 4 remaining and so far ive found so far picking your spots at this point is a massive part of plo8. and its normally aroun 300/600 and we dont like limping, i need to be carefull when im getting my stack in, even if im going for the steal i like to have a decent holding in my hand.  Now churchy was running riot if i remeber building a nice big stack and i was up and down like a yo yo, a high pot her... a low pot there..... just surviving.  the hand im goin to post is where 3 of us get it in and i come 4th and game ends. Should i be getting my stack in here or just fold and hope big stack calls and takes it...........

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Chris_Mc Small blind   300.00 300.00 1395.00
    churchy18 Big blind   600.00 900.00 6110.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q
    • A

tikay1 All-in   1815.00 2715.00 0.00
    gerardirl Fold     
    Chris_Mc All-in   1395.00 4110.00 0.00
    churchy18 Call   1215.00 5325.00 4895.00
    Chris_Mc Show
    • K
    • Q
    • A

churchy18 Show
    • K

tikay1 Show
    • A
    • Q

Flop

• Q
    • J

Turn

• A

River

churchy18 Win high Straight to the Ace 2662.50   7557.50
    churchy18 Win low 8-low 2662.50   10220.00

• Options
    Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited July 2016
    Didn't have my glasses on Chris and it was rather late or should I say early in the morning when I read it :'D
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited July 2016
    I certainly wouldn't be calling one of Tikay's all-ins with that hand, I'd need at least the ace to be suited or the 3 to be a 2 to call him.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I certainly wouldn't be calling one of Tikay's all-ins with that hand, I'd need at least the ace to be suited or the 3 to be a 2 to call him.
    Posted by FCHD

I defo agree to an extent, FCHD, I'd prefer the 2 or suited ACE, but it this point in the game  900 in the middl;e is a massive help to tikays stack, and makes it in my opinion an opertunity to raise to take the pot as it is but he will do with less than an A2 or off suited ace, which to me improves my hand enoiugh to et my stack in too.. 

well at least thats what i told myself, also im not sure if churchy is calling, and i might not see another hand as strong before the blinds are back again.

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited July 2016
    I can see why you would consider folding, especially after the way the hand played out.

To avoid personalising the answer I will assume random players as UTG and BB.

Imo you are well enough ahaed of the initial UTG all-in (with only 3 bigs and in the BB next their range is pretty wide) to call with that hand and especially with 300 already invested.

It would be an easier decision to make without a hand to act behind you, especially when it's the big stack with a BB invested.

In this spot, if you fold eirther UTG gets a free 1.5 Bigs, or BB calls and either doubles them up, busts them or splits for a small gain. UTGs range would be ahead of the caller here.

As played you had 40% equity vs two players with 30% so got your chips in good. You would have had 60% equity v UTG only had BB folded making it a good call.

I would have thought your hand v UTG range is even better equity than that, UTG could have worse to shove with on there are not many hands in the deck that have you dominated, especially with your AK3 blockers.

You would think quite a likely scenario if you call is BB folds and leaves you two to it which is good for you.

Generally on the bubble with blinds that big we have to take more chances, our ranges open considerably and our shoving ranges widen quicker than our calling ranges. Stack dynamics v BB are so important. Notes on players ranges in these spots and personal history make a big difference too as there is a relatively small PLO8 pool so you see the same players more often.

There are some BB who would fold every hand there whether you called or not. There are others who would call every time whether you called or not. 

There is an added dimension to knowing who UTG and BB are but it's only fair to them (and my own efforts on note taking) to not discuss that here.

• Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    edited July 2016
    Hi Chris
    I wish I could figure out how to post hands, so well done with that to start.
    I will give you my view, not that I know if others will agree or disagree, but I would like to discuss more hands with the ploppers , so here goes.
    I would be folding here, you still have fourteen hundred chips and even if it gets folded behind by the big stack, that is still playable. As Barney states, Tikay's raises are normally going to be very well balanced with an ace suited and or both high and low covered, normally not always, we all have to push a little light occasionally, but here he has 1800 chips, so, I would be surprised if he turns up with spanners. Tony also says that it is better to be a raiser rather than a caller but all situations are different.
     I am not up with odds etc, I wish I was, but I would be hoping the big stack will call and not trying to be smart after the fact, but I would think he would be for two reasons, even if he looses he will still have five thousand chips and with the chance of knocking the other player out and therefore winning the game he is likely to call with any four cards within reason.
    Now I would also add that you have had to make this decision in a pressure situation, when the clock seems to run out so quickly compared to the earlier levels and this is something I need to get better at.
    I will be interested to read what others think.
    Nick
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    some great advive, thank you for gettin back,

didnt think the names through, prob should have edited them, wasnt thinking as it was my own play at interest, so apologies for leaving them in and mentioning them.  hope you dont mind.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    As with the hands nic, i had to remind myself,

as long as you do it through internet explorer you should be ok,  so i open up 2 skypoker pages, one for forum and the other for hand histories. if you copy and paste through I/E OR EDGE  its called now i think you should be ok.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited July 2016
    some great advive, thank you for gettin back, didnt think the names through, prob should have edited them, wasnt thinking as it was my own play at interest, so apologies for leaving them in and mentioning them.  hope you dont mind.
    Posted by Chris_Mc

I dont mind and doubt Tikay/Churchy would either tbh.

I just didnt want to elaborate on how my thinking would change knowing who they were and to illustrate the point that especially in marginal spots like this it really does depend on what you think UTG shoving range is and BB calling range as to whether the fold is the better option.

Of course in a dym the mentality is about survival, no added prizes for the biggest stack so less need to take risks calling.

A fold is not a big mistake here, Still a debate to be had as to whether it is a mistake at all. I would also factor in the fact that big stack is to your left making it harder for you to get your shoves through.

PS Welcome to Ploppsville and GL with the diary.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: ----Highs Lows & Scoopio's---- : I dont mind and doubt Tikay/Churchy would either tbh. I just didnt want to elaborate on how my thinking would change knowing who they were and to illustrate the point that especially in marginal spots like this it really does depend on what you think UTG shoving range is and BB calling range as to whether the fold is the better option. Of course in a dym the mentality is about survival, no added prizes for the biggest stack so less need to take risks calling. A fold is not a big mistake here, Still a debate to be had as to whether it is a mistake at all. I would also factor in the fact that big stack is to your left making it harder for you to get your shoves through. PS Welcome to Ploppsville and GL with the diary.
    Posted by Phantom66

I think im going to like it ploppsville, seem to be doing quite well.... alot better than nlh thats is for sure. i dont ever remember having a run like this on them,,, mabye because i played all different varients of it im not sure.

i think the majority of the plo8 players are on the forum and seem to be very easy to get on with, very rarely seen any bother in the chatbox. so for now ill definatley be sticking around fore plo8 and probally only plo8.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Again only a few games played tonight, gonna head off and sort some stuff for tomorrow,

More than happy the way things are going still. BR is going up everynight, albeit slightly but im not caring. only a few days ago i was down to £12, its now hit over £50 mark, and thats just on the DYM'S only.

I never thought id say it but i have no intention of reging a NLH game and its weird to type that as i love the game, but having so much fun with this and seems to be going well im just going to keep plodding along hoopefully with same results coming in.

I would like to play some mtts, but think ill stick with £1.10 ones and just keep with the one table as i think 2 will throw me off.

hopwfully the BR will increae and ill mabye start playing 1 or 2 £5.50 games but dont have a target in mind yet to really think about bashing anything higher than the £3.30's seem to be having a good run in them as i will post the table below.

well ill mabye see some of you at the tables tomorrow or mabye get 1 game in before bed. :)

PLO8 DYMWONLOSTPLAYED
    0.601 1
    1.151 1
    5.50 11
    TOTAL341145
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,161
    edited July 2016
    Great to see some new diaries popping up. 

As you may or may not know Chris I have a real love hate relationship with Hi Lo :-) 

At the moment I am on one of my regular sabbaticals :-)

I think I am pretty much echoing the thoughts of Phantom here TBH, however;

I will try and be objective here, but knowing both players styles its difficult.

UTG is about to be in the blinds and that costs him a 1/3rd of his stack.

You have good equity against his range, at this stage it should be relatively wide.

Fly in the ointment is BB, he has chips to spare and should call if he has any equity.

You are in a tough spot as you will have little to no fold equity if you lay this down, so you will need to find a hand or get lucky before you hit the blinds.

If we know the BB will call, maybe you can fold here but I am not sure it is the correct play.

I think I would have played it the same way, closed my eyes and crossed my fingers.

• Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    edited July 2016
    Great to see some new diaries popping up.  As you may or may not know Chris I have a real love hate relationship with Hi Lo :-)  At the moment I am on one of my regular sabbaticals :-) I think I am pretty much echoing the thoughts of Phantom here TBH, however; I will try and be objective here, but knowing both players styles its difficult. UTG is about to be in the blinds and that costs him a 1/3rd of his stack. You have good equity against his range, at this stage it should be relatively wide. Fly in the ointment is BB, he has chips to spare and should call if he has any equity. You are in a tough spot as you will have little to no fold equity if you lay this down, so you will need to find a hand or get lucky before you hit the blinds. If we know the BB will call, maybe you can fold here but I am not sure it is the correct play. I think I would have played it the same way, closed my eyes and crossed my fingers.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Ha Ha, Hendo lad, your plo8 strategy revealed. Knew it.
    ( just make a note of that, eyes and fingers crossed)

Hi Chris, welcome back to plo8
    glad to hear you are enjoying it.
    The hand in question ...you did nothing wrong
    got your chips in good, just unlucky with BB coming in with chips to spare.
    You could have folded, and hoped to hit a bigger hand later. (or blind out, big no no )
    or the flop could have been Q Q K (then you would not have posted HH)
    Don't sweat it, carry on enjoying the game, your doing ok mate.

I may even start my own diary, just to keep myself on track.
    I've been a bad boy br wise, the last couple of months.
    I'll give myself till Sunday, if the thread's not up by then, it won't happen.

Regards Alan (plo8 champ)