You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,078

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

I suppose we are in an era of Brexit politics.

Those that are extreme Brexit supporters swear that any bad news, has got absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

The hardliners on the other side maintain that it has been caused by Brexit.

While the moderates are more likely to say it was partly down to Brexit, but there were other contributory factors.

I would consider myself a moderate.

However there does seem to be more regular instances, of jobs being lost, businesses relocating, and general bad news surrounding the economy.

Nope the reality is there prob isn't more , you just hear about it more because it's topical and convenient for media to link to Brexit.
    Ive been hearing things for almost 3 years then.
    Perhaps a visit to a otolaryngologist ?
    I got a better idea.

• rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
    Newspaper headlines: 'Splitting headache' for Corbyn over resignations

There's sympathy and frustration in equal measure from colleagues of the seven Labour MPs who resigned on Monday.
    "All seven are acting in good faith and following their consciences", writes Jess Phillips in the Telegraph - comparing the party to a Stoke pottery jug.
    "It's had spiderly lines etched through it for some time", she says, "and now a dirty great fissure has opened up in the spout".
    Another Labour backbencher, Chris Bryant, is equally concerned, but thinks it's better to try to reform the party from within.
    "I prefer big tents when it comes to politics", he tells the New Statesman. "You need a crowd to move a mountain and a movement to change the political weather."
    One of the rebels, Chuka Umunna, doesn't see it that way. Labour "can't be the change", he writes in the i, "because they have become the problem".

What chance then of the breakaway group becoming a meaningful force in British politics?
    The early signs are encouraging, according to the Daily Mail - which claims the group would win a bigger share of the vote than the Lib Dems if they contest the next general election as a national party.
    The Mirror thinks there is no time to waste. "If they believed in democracy and were confident voters are behind them", it argues, "all seven would trigger by-elections"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47286816
    So who will be next to join the Independent Group? Senior Tory REFUSES to rule out joining 'gang of seven' MPs who have quit 'anti-Semitic' Labour - as even Corbyn's own DEPUTY says he doesn't recognise the party anymore

A group of seven anti-Corbyn MPs launched an historic breakaway from Labour in Westminster today
    Luciana Berger accused Corbyn of turning Labour into an 'institutionally anti-Semitic' party filled with abuse
    Chuka Umunna called for more politicians on all sides to defect and join the new group in the Commons
    Chris Leslie said the group would have its first formal meetings on policy and tactics in the coming days
    Jeremy Corbyn said he was 'disappointed' the MPs could not continue to work for a Labour election victory
    The explosive move triggered a furious backlash from the left with the group labelled 'traitors' and 'cowards'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6716379/Will-Labour-split-hours-Anti-Corbyn-rebels-poised-make-statement.html
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

So who will be next to join the Independent Group? Senior Tory REFUSES to rule out joining 'gang of seven' MPs who have quit 'anti-Semitic' Labour - as even Corbyn's own DEPUTY says he doesn't recognise the party anymore

A group of seven anti-Corbyn MPs launched an historic breakaway from Labour in Westminster today
    Luciana Berger accused Corbyn of turning Labour into an 'institutionally anti-Semitic' party filled with abuse
    Chuka Umunna called for more politicians on all sides to defect and join the new group in the Commons
    Chris Leslie said the group would have its first formal meetings on policy and tactics in the coming days
    Jeremy Corbyn said he was 'disappointed' the MPs could not continue to work for a Labour election victory
    The explosive move triggered a furious backlash from the left with the group labelled 'traitors' and 'cowards'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6716379/Will-Labour-split-hours-Anti-Corbyn-rebels-poised-make-statement.html

They should be triggering by elections immediately
    Leader who's lost the plot: Up to 50 MPs could resign to join new rebel group as poll reveals it's ALREADY more popular than the Lib Dems... and Corbyn is on his allotment

Seven MPs officially quit the Labour Party yesterday citing 'antisemitism'
    One said it would be 'irresponsible' to allow Jeremy Corbyn to become PM
    On the eve of his party’s greatest crisis, Mr Corbyn spent hours on Sunday down at his allotment in north London

Former home secretary Lord Blunkett warned in an article for the Mail that ‘we are facing the potential disintegration of the Labour Party’;
    An opinion poll for the Mail found the breakaway movement had gone from nowhere to being Britain’s third most popular political group overnight, damaging Mr Corbyn’s hopes of entering No 10;
    Tom Watson pleaded with Labour supporters not to accuse the breakaway group of betrayal, saying the party urgently needed to confront the scale of its problems;
    The newly-formed group immediately faced an online backlash from supporters of Mr Corbyn who branded them ‘cowards’ and ‘traitors’;
    In an emotional meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party (PLP), Jewish MP Ruth Smeeth broke down in tears as she accused the leadership of failing to tackle anti-Semitism;
    It emerged Derek Hatton, hard-Left ex-deputy leader of Liverpool council, had been let back into the party;
    Several Remain-backing Tory MPs were on resignation watch as Nick Boles, Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston, Phillip Lee, Justine Greening and Heidi Allen all refused to rule out joining the Labour defectors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6718625/Leader-whos-lost-plot.html

HAYSIE said:

They wont.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

They wont.
    I know they wont , but they should
    LBC Radio host 'is battered by signet ring-wearing racist who called him a f****** P*** in attack outside a London theatre'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6719173/Radio-host-battered-signet-ring-wearing-racist-attack-outside-London-theatre.html
    Brexit LIVE: Up to five Remainer TORIES could QUIT and join breakaway Labour group

A GROUP of Tory Remainers are “seriously” considering quitting Theresa May’s Conservative Party to join Labour breakaway MPs Independent Group if the Prime Minister presses ahead with a no-deal Brexit, it has been claimed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1089225/Brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-brexit-deal-latest-eu-news-independent-group
    HAYSIE said:

Brexit LIVE: Up to five Remainer TORIES could QUIT and join breakaway Labour group

A GROUP of Tory Remainers are “seriously” considering quitting Theresa May’s Conservative Party to join Labour breakaway MPs Independent Group if the Prime Minister presses ahead with a no-deal Brexit, it has been claimed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1089225/Brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-brexit-deal-latest-eu-news-independent-group

At last some good news :D
    BREXIT BACKLASH: Tory MPs anger constituents by blocking no deal Brexit - ‘GONE ROGUE'
    TORY rebels face a backlash from their constituents after plotting in Parliament to prevent the UK from leaving the European Union without a deal. Former Cabinet ministers Sir Oliver Letwin and Sir Michael Fallon have angered their electorate who support the UK crashing out of bloc without an agreement and leaving on World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1075048/brexit-news-eu-latest-european-union-no-deal-liam-fox-WTO-theresa-may?

HAYSIE said:

She wouldn't have to lose that many to lose her Parliamentary majority.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

She wouldn't have to lose that many to lose her Parliamentary majority.
    It's sounding better by the minute
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,524
    Looks like some politicians trying to do a Macron to me (form your own party, plenty of slogans, rely on being supposedly anti-establishment etc).

I'm no fan of Corbyn. I like my Labour Party to be a broad church. To me, he is just the other side of the Blair coin.

Would like to see a rule change whereby anybody who changes party automatically has to seek a re-election.
    Essexphil said:

Looks like some politicians trying to do a Macron to me (form your own party, plenty of slogans, rely on being supposedly anti-establishment etc).

I'm no fan of Corbyn. I like my Labour Party to be a broad church. To me, he is just the other side of the Blair coin.

Would like to see a rule change whereby anybody who changes party automatically has to seek a re-election.

^^^^ This
    The Labour Party had what ended up as a car crash meeting last night.
    Corbyn was missing as usual.
    I am Flabbergasted that he hasn't even spoken to Luciana Berger for 14 months.
    She has suffered from horrific Anti-Semitic attacks from Corbyn supporters.

The Labour leadership have lacked any sense of urgency in sorting this out.

Corbyn who claims that Labour is the most democratic of our parties has completely ignored the vote at their Conference that was massively in favour of a second referendum.

So it is democratic, as long as he agrees with the result.

Derek Hatton is back.
    edited February 2019
    HAYSIE said:

The Labour Party had what ended up as a car crash meeting last night.
    Corbyn was missing as usual.
    I am Flabbergasted that he hasn't even spoken to Luciana Berger for 14 months.
    She has suffered from horrific Anti-Semitic attacks from Corbyn supporters.

The Labour leadership have lacked any sense of urgency in sorting this out.

Corbyn who claims that Labour is the most democratic of our parties has completely ignored the vote at their Conference that was massively in favour of a second referendum.

So it is democratic, as long as he agrees with the result.

Derek Hatton is back.

A couple of excerpts from this article >>> https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-labour-members-peoples-vote-second-referendum-remain-eu-a8709151.html

As for the Economic and Social Research Council report on Labour members’ views on Brexit being circulated this week, the commentators who are representing the overwhelming favourability of a People’s Vote among Labour members as evidence that there may be a break with Corbyn on the way, are, again, missing the point. It is true that almost 90 per cent of Labour members personally support a second referendum. Yet it is less often being reported that a clear majority either support Corbyn’s stance (47 per cent) or are indifferent either way (19 per cent). How to explain this discrepancy?

This is why it has been a huge mistake for pollsters to repeatedly ask Labour members and supporters if they want to stop Brexit, and not to follow it up by asking whether they would be willing to sacrifice the chance of a Corbyn government in order to do so, and how much they trust the Labour leadership to make the right decision. As the overwhelming support for Corbyn’s leadership reflected in the ESRC report shows, Corbyn has won the trust of Labour members and supporters by successfully pursuing strategies that the liberal commentariat thought were ludicrous. These commentators and the People’s Vote campaign might reflect Labour members’ views, but they have not yet won their trust

As far as the bolded bit , he hasn't ignored it , he said a little while back that it remains an option !
    edited February 2019
    Also as far as democracy is concerned with relation to a "peoples vote " ...I totally agree with this comment by Nicky Morgan : "Any referendum cuts right across the representative democracy we have in this country. Many people feel that now that they have voted, their elected parliamentary representative should not exercise their own judgement on this issue but simply act as instructed by their local electorate. And any representative democracy can only take so much undermining, which is what a second referendum would do."
    Essexphil said:

I would prefer not.

I think they are completely justified in their actions, and more may follow suit.

If the party was able to silence their voices by calling for compulsory by-elections, it is less likely that they will implement any changes that are long overdue.

I think we gain more by having them sitting in Parliament reminding Labour of their shortcomings.

How they have dealt with Antisemitism, and their Brexit position have both been abysmal.

How could any boss justify not even speaking to a member of staff for 14 months, after they had suffered such horrendous abuse?

To give them an opportunity to gain support from other MPs may help to implement some overdue changes. It would be foolish to think that everything is hunky dory in Parliament.

Tom Watson seems to have a much more realistic view of the situation than Corbyn.

Corbyns popularity seems to be waning, his standing in polls must be disappointing, when considering the Governments performance.

I think it is questionable if Corbyn could ever win an election.