You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,068

650 people work in the same building. 262 of them (til yesterday) were Labour MPs. Of course he has spoken to her. What I expect she meant was that there has been no meaningful conversation on this subject.

It all depends on what you mean by antisemitic.

To some, it means anti-Jewish. Corbyn is not, the Labour Party is not.
    However, to some people, antisemitic means that you do not support Israel (and, by extension, support the Palestinian cause). Corbyn certainly meets that criteria, as do some members of the Labour Party.

Personally, I do not believe it is racist to support EITHER the Israeli OR Palestinian position. But many people disagree.

Some numbers sound like they mean more than they do. For example, IF there are only 700 complaints, 1 campaigner says she has made more than 200 of them.

Corbyn is in a cleft stick, formed during times when he was a rebel rather than a leader. He cannot be open about his loyalties, because it would cost him votes. It is his years of ploughing his own furrow that prevent him being an effective leader. He reminds me of a traditional C of E vicar-great at preaching to the converted, but out of touch with the non-believers.

It always annoys me that the press in this country concentrate on attacking the left. Anyone think Baroness Warsi's points on racism in the Tory party are not equally valid?

It would seem he has not spoken to her directly since late 2017. This seems negligent under the circumstances.

The Labour Party has a clear definition of Antisemitism.

Corbyn has been guilty of it, and offered flimsy excuses.

The number of complaints is worrying. The fact that many refer to Corbyn supporters is cause for concern. As is the time taken to act on these complaints.

The fact that Luciana Berger faced no confidence motions as a result of her complaints is ridiculous and probably sums up the direction in which the party is headed.

Ken Livingstone had to resign, after they suspended him for years, and failed to kick him out of the party.

Corbyn is only in the cleft stick that he put himself in.

If his past prevents him from being an effective leader, then he shouldn't have taken it on. Nobody was holding a trident to his head to force him to become the leader.

The Tories racism is equally valid, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Peak Corbyn has gone.

They would be better off being led by Tom Watson.
    edited February 2019

HAYSIE said:

Also as far as democracy is concerned with relation to a "peoples vote " ...I totally agree with this comment by Nicky Morgan : "Any referendum cuts right across the representative democracy we have in this country. Many people feel that now that they have voted, their elected parliamentary representative should not exercise their own judgement on this issue but simply act as instructed by their local electorate. And any representative democracy can only take so much undermining, which is what a second referendum would do."

I think lots of bs surfaces in discussions on this topic.

I think that anyone who says that Brexit is deliverable as per the referendum discussion is deluding themselves.

I think it justifies why we have cooling off periods on contracts.

If nobody has changed their mind, what could anyone moan about?

Anyone that still thinks it will be a good thing, hasn't been paying attention.

It may yet prove to be the only solution.

What is the alternative solution?
    For BS , read anything that is the opposite of what you think .
    The referendum wasn't a supply or goods contract , the government promised to action the result.
    For the millionth time , it smacks in the face of democracy .
    It's only a solution if the result is different , and even then it's not really because of the widespread divisiveness it would cause .
    Thankfully it will never happen .
    I think it has just become a bit more likely, watch Mr Corbyn.
    What is the difference in calling another election 2years after the last one?

HAYSIE said:

Also as far as democracy is concerned with relation to a "peoples vote " ...I totally agree with this comment by Nicky Morgan : "Any referendum cuts right across the representative democracy we have in this country. Many people feel that now that they have voted, their elected parliamentary representative should not exercise their own judgement on this issue but simply act as instructed by their local electorate. And any representative democracy can only take so much undermining, which is what a second referendum would do."

I think that anyone who says that Brexit is deliverable as per the referendum discussion is deluding themselves.

The referendum wasn't a supply or goods contract , the government promised to action the result.
    It's only a solution if the result is different , and even then it's not really because of the widespread divisiveness it would cause .
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Looks across at the calendar ...nope def not the 31st march yet. :p

Def think Tom Watson would make a good leader

MattBates said:

Essexphil said:

Looks like some politicians trying to do a Macron to me (form your own party, plenty of slogans, rely on being supposedly anti-establishment etc).

I'm no fan of Corbyn. I like my Labour Party to be a broad church. To me, he is just the other side of the Blair coin.

Would like to see a rule change whereby anybody who changes party automatically has to seek a re-election.

^^^^ This
    Would be very interested in what people considered more important candidate or party when they vote. If party is more important (which I think it would be) then the re-election idea has a lot more validity.
    Yea these people ( whos motives imo aren't as clear cut as they would like to make out ) , were voted in as labour candidates , if they were truly interested in democracy each of them would immediately call for a by election . But thats why they won't , because they know the majority of their votes will have been for the party and not them as individuals .
    It is quite easy to see why many Labour MPs would be unhappy with their leader.
    It wasn't that long ago that he faced a massive revolt by them.
    Leopards and spots.

HAYSIE said:

I would dispute the first point.
    Secondly, the reason that there is a cooling off period subsequent to signing a contract, is to allow people to make sure that they will get what they are expecting, and that there is nothing hidden in the small print that comes as a surprise to them.

Democracy didn't just exist for one day, and shouldn't prevent people from changing their minds.

Causing divisiveness shouldn't be an excuse for an act of self harm.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

The Labour Party had what ended up as a car crash meeting last night.
    Corbyn was missing as usual.
    I am Flabbergasted that he hasn't even spoken to Luciana Berger for 14 months.
    She has suffered from horrific Anti-Semitic attacks from Corbyn supporters.

The Labour leadership have lacked any sense of urgency in sorting this out.

Corbyn who claims that Labour is the most democratic of our parties has completely ignored the vote at their Conference that was massively in favour of a second referendum.

So it is democratic, as long as he agrees with the result.

Derek Hatton is back.

A couple of excerpts from this article >>> https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-labour-members-peoples-vote-second-referendum-remain-eu-a8709151.html

As for the Economic and Social Research Council report on Labour members’ views on Brexit being circulated this week, the commentators who are representing the overwhelming favourability of a People’s Vote among Labour members as evidence that there may be a break with Corbyn on the way, are, again, missing the point. It is true that almost 90 per cent of Labour members personally support a second referendum. Yet it is less often being reported that a clear majority either support Corbyn’s stance (47 per cent) or are indifferent either way (19 per cent). How to explain this discrepancy?

This is why it has been a huge mistake for pollsters to repeatedly ask Labour members and supporters if they want to stop Brexit, and not to follow it up by asking whether they would be willing to sacrifice the chance of a Corbyn government in order to do so, and how much they trust the Labour leadership to make the right decision. As the overwhelming support for Corbyn’s leadership reflected in the ESRC report shows, Corbyn has won the trust of Labour members and supporters by successfully pursuing strategies that the liberal commentariat thought were ludicrous. These commentators and the People’s Vote campaign might reflect Labour members’ views, but they have not yet won their trust

As far as the bolded bit , he hasn't ignored it , he said a little while back that it remains an option !
    This is absolute nonsense.
    Prior to the vote at their Conference he clearly stated that he would abide by the result.

Keir Starmer got a standing ovation when stating in his speech they would support a second referendum, with remain on the ballot paper.
    He has completely ignored the result, and just moved the goal posts ever since.

Labour delegates vote overwhelmingly for Brexit motion backing second referendum as option – as it happened
    Rolling coverage of the Labour conference in Liverpool, including the debate on Brexit and a second referendum

Labour delegates have overwhelmingly voted in favour of the Brexit motion saying holding a second referendum should be an option. The vote came a few hours after Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, received wild applause after he declared in a speech: “Nobody is ruling out remain as an option.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/sep/25/labour-conference-brexit-debate-starmer-increasingly-likely-to-vote-down-mays-brexit-deal-starmer-says-politics-live

It would seem to only be an option, when it has become too late.
    How do you suppose he could get a 2nd referendum motion through parliament ...what support would there be for it ? He's not uri geller !
    He just said on the telly that his plan for Brexit was to get the Government to take no deal off the table, and then negotiate intelligently with the EU for a deal. He is planning a trip to Brussels on Thursday.
    Firstly he has no standing in EU negotiations.
    Secondly this is categorically not what was voted for so overwhelmingly at their Conference.
    Keep an eye out for more resignations over the next couple of days.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Def think Tom Watson would make a good leader

True its not, but I think that we have moved further away from a solution this month, rather than closer to.

You haven't got one then?
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2019
    "Looks across at the calendar ...nope def not the 31st march yet. :p

You haven't got one then?"

Yes I have , its on the wall next to the printer ...Arsenal fc one , Aubameyang is the February player . :)

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Looks like some politicians trying to do a Macron to me (form your own party, plenty of slogans, rely on being supposedly anti-establishment etc).

I'm no fan of Corbyn. I like my Labour Party to be a broad church. To me, he is just the other side of the Blair coin.

Would like to see a rule change whereby anybody who changes party automatically has to seek a re-election.

I would prefer not.

I think they are completely justified in their actions, and more may follow suit.

If the party was able to silence their voices by calling for compulsory by-elections, it is less likely that they will implement any changes that are long overdue.

I think we gain more by having them sitting in Parliament reminding Labour of their shortcomings.

How they have dealt with Antisemitism, and their Brexit position have both been abysmal.

How could any boss justify not even speaking to a member of staff for 14 months, after they had suffered such horrendous abuse?

To give them an opportunity to gain support from other MPs may help to implement some overdue changes. It would be foolish to think that everything is hunky dory in Parliament.

Tom Watson seems to have a much more realistic view of the situation than Corbyn.

Corbyns popularity seems to be waning, his standing in polls must be disappointing, when considering the Governments performance.

I think it is questionable if Corbyn could ever win an election.
    Do you actually believe that ?

Despite Ms Rayner’s unwavering support, Ms Berger was forced to leave the party after a torrent of abuse culminated in a vote of no confidence motion being proposed against her.
    The motion was proposed by a member of her local party who called Ms Berger a “disruptive Zionist”.
    Worryingly for the Labour Party, Ms Berger did also announce today that she had not spoken to Mr Corbyn for at least 14 months despite the constant amount of abuse she has received online.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1089194/Labour-party-latest-angela-rayner-anti-semitism-BBC-newnsight-Luciana-berger

Yep I've read the article ...they didn't actually quote her . Listen , if thats what she is saying and it is true ...it would be a surreal situation , one I can't quite wrap my head around .
    It was covered in extensive detail on Newsnight last night.
    I would find it incredible that he hadn't defended himself if it wasn't true.
    I also find incredible that despite the fact they have almost 700 Antisemitism complaints, they maintain that there is no problem, and it is all in hand.
    He is clearly an ineffective leader on many counts.
    Why do you think that Labour aren't smashing the Tories in the polls?
    650 people work in the same building. 262 of them (til yesterday) were Labour MPs. Of course he has spoken to her. What I expect she meant was that there has been no meaningful conversation on this subject.

However, to some people, antisemitic means that you do not support Israel (and, by extension, support the Palestinian cause). Corbyn certainly meets that criteria, as do some members of the Labour Party.

Personally, I do not believe it is racist to support EITHER the Israeli OR Palestinian position. But many people disagree.

Some numbers sound like they mean more than they do. For example, IF there are only 700 complaints, 1 campaigner says she has made more than 200 of them.

Corbyn is in a cleft stick, formed during times when he was a rebel rather than a leader. He cannot be open about his loyalties, because it would cost him votes. It is his years of ploughing his own furrow that prevent him being an effective leader. He reminds me of a traditional C of E vicar-great at preaching to the converted, but out of touch with the non-believers.

It always annoys me that the press in this country concentrate on attacking the left. Anyone think Baroness Warsi's points on racism in the Tory party are not equally valid?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvDZWuD57o
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    https://youtu.be/iwkxg8-1byU
    Racist and terrorist sympathiser.
    Chuka Umunna hopes new party will be created by end of year

Chuka Umunna has said he hopes a new party will be created by the end of the year, after he and six other MPs quit Labour citing anger at the party’s Brexit policy and the issue of antisemitism.
    Related: Emotional Labour deputy Tom Watson tells Corbyn: You must change to avoid party splitting
    Umunna hinted that he expected more MPs, including some from the Conservative party, to depart in the coming days and weeks.
    “I would like to see us move as quickly as possible and certainly by the end of the year, but that’s my personal view,” he told ITV. “There needs to be an alternative, so that’s perfectly possible. But I don’t get to determine this.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/chuka-umunna-hopes-new-party-will-be-created-by-end-of-year/ar-BBTN7yz?ocid=spartanntp
    Derek Hatton: Former Militant member readmitted to Labour 34 years after expulsion

Former member of the left-wing Militant faction and deputy leader of Liverpool council, Derek Hatton, has been readmitted to the Labour Party – 34 years after he was expelled.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/derek-hatton-former-militant-member-readmitted-to-labour-34-years-after-expulsion/ar-BBTMoxW?ocid=spartanntp

Mercedes could quit F1 with no-deal Brexit, warns UK motor racing chairman

David Richards, the chairman of UK motor racing’s governing body, has warned that Mercedes could pull the plug on Formula One if Britain leaves the European Union without a deal.
    Mercedes have enjoyed tremendous success in recent seasons and are this year bidding to win their sixth consecutive drivers’ and constructors’ titles.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/formula1/mercedes-could-quit-f1-with-no-deal-brexit-warns-uk-motor-racing-chairman/ar-BBTNsl5?ocid=spartanntp
    UK will not present 'Malthouse Compromise' Brexit proposal to EU - Mail on Sunday reporter

LONDON, Feb 19 (Reuters) - The British government will not pursue a compromise Brexit proposal championed by members of Theresa May's Conservative Party in negotiations with the European Union, Mail on Sunday reporter Harry Cole said on Twitter (Frankfurt: A1W6XZ - news) .
    "It sounds like the Malthouse Compromise is dead," Cole said, adding that May had made it clear to her cabinet that the idea was not feasible during a meeting earlier on Tuesday.
    The compromise proposal had been designed to help unite pro-EU and Brexiteer factions in her party and had been under consideration by May's office after a series of meeting with its supporters.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-not-present-malthouse-compromise-153953819.html

A ship has left the UK for Japan with no guarantee of unloading its cargo due to Brexit

The U.K. business minister admitted Tuesday that a free trade agreement (FTA) with Japan would not be completed in time to facilitate a cargo ship that left Britain for the Asian nation this week.
    Britain is scrambling to arrange around 40 existing trade deals that have been agreed under the umbrella of the European Union before the official Brexit date of March 29.
    The Thalassa Mana cargo ship left Felixstowe on Monday and is scheduled to arrive in Osaka, Japan, on March 30, one day after Britain is set to leave the EU.
    Speaking to a gathering of British manufacturers and exporters on Tuesday, U.K. Business Secretary Greg Clark said fears about customs barriers and logistics delays were an "unacceptable" reality.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ship-left-uk-japan-no-145250556.html
    UK's Gove: Govt will use tariffs to protect farming in no deal Brexit

BIRMINGHAM, England, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Britain will use import tariffs to protect its farming industry if it fails to reach a trade pact with the European Union, farming and environment minister Michael Gove said on Tuesday.
    Gove told the annual conference of the National Farmers Union that the cabinet has been discussing what the tariff rates would be in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
    "You (farmers) have argued that we need tariffs on sheep meat, beef, poultry, dairy, both milk and cheese; and pig meat in order to safeguard domestic production," he said.
    "Your concerns have been heard, and an announcement on new UK tariffs in a no-deal scenario - with specific and robust protections for farming - will be made shortly."

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uks-gove-govt-tariffs-protect-140454471.html
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I would prefer not.

I think they are completely justified in their actions, and more may follow suit.

If the party was able to silence their voices by calling for compulsory by-elections, it is less likely that they will implement any changes that are long overdue.

I think we gain more by having them sitting in Parliament reminding Labour of their shortcomings.

How they have dealt with Antisemitism, and their Brexit position have both been abysmal.

How could any boss justify not even speaking to a member of staff for 14 months, after they had suffered such horrendous abuse?

To give them an opportunity to gain support from other MPs may help to implement some overdue changes. It would be foolish to think that everything is hunky dory in Parliament.

Tom Watson seems to have a much more realistic view of the situation than Corbyn.

Corbyns popularity seems to be waning, his standing in polls must be disappointing, when considering the Governments performance.

I think it is questionable if Corbyn could ever win an election.
    Do you actually believe that ?

Despite Ms Rayner’s unwavering support, Ms Berger was forced to leave the party after a torrent of abuse culminated in a vote of no confidence motion being proposed against her.
    The motion was proposed by a member of her local party who called Ms Berger a “disruptive Zionist”.
    Worryingly for the Labour Party, Ms Berger did also announce today that she had not spoken to Mr Corbyn for at least 14 months despite the constant amount of abuse she has received online.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1089194/Labour-party-latest-angela-rayner-anti-semitism-BBC-newnsight-Luciana-berger

Yep I've read the article ...they didn't actually quote her . Listen , if thats what she is saying and it is true ...it would be a surreal situation , one I can't quite wrap my head around .
    It was covered in extensive detail on Newsnight last night.
    I would find it incredible that he hadn't defended himself if it wasn't true.
    I also find incredible that despite the fact they have almost 700 Antisemitism complaints, they maintain that there is no problem, and it is all in hand.
    He is clearly an ineffective leader on many counts.
    Why do you think that Labour aren't smashing the Tories in the polls?

Ruth George sorry for claiming ex-Labour MPs may have Israeli backing

A Labour MP has apologised for claiming a group of ex-colleagues who quit the party in protest over anti-Semitism may be backed by the Israeli government.
    Ruth George, the MP for High Peak, suggested it was "possible" the seven MPs who jumped ship on Monday were being supported by the state of Israel.
    She later issued a statement saying she was "deeply sorry for her ill-thought out and poorly worded comment"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47296591
    edited February 2019
    TripAdvisor suspends reviews on 'Brexit Party B&B'

TripAdvisor has suspended reviews for the bed and breakfast used as the official address for the new Brexit Party after "malicious trolling".
    Annapurna Bed & Breakfast in Norfolk, run by leader Catherine Blaiklock's husband, was the address used when the party registered on 5 February.
    A party spokesman said the venue's rating had dropped in recent days.
    TripAdvisor said it halted reviews after "an influx of review submissions that did not meet our guidelines".

Comments on the TripAdvisor entry for the bed and breakfast included "breakfast means breakfast" and "couldn't wait to vote leave", according to the Evening Standard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47292229