You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,529
    EU's Barnier says ready for new Irish border solutions as Brexit deadline looms

Both the EU and Britain want to avoid a so-called hard border between UK's Northern Ireland and the EU's Irish Republic because such a border could undermine a 1998 peace agreement that ended decades of sectarian conflict in the north.

"Where we are now, to be frank, it is not extra time that we need; it is extra decisions," Barnier said.

"If there is a no deal there is no more discussion. There is no more negotiation. It is over and each side will take its own unilateral contingency measures, and we will take them in such areas as aviation, but this does not mean mini-deals in the case of a no deal," he said

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/eus-barnier-says-ready-irish-134230623.html
  • Options
    Were leave voters aware that there is a difference between Asylum seeking, illegal immigration, and freedom of movement?
  • Options
    achill said:

Really interesting thread guys, just read it from start to finish. I haven't been on the forum in years and was really surprised to find such an in-depth discussion.

If I get the time at a more reasonable hour I will give my reasons for voting leave.

Have to say the shambles the government is making of the negotiations has me questioning my choice.

goldon 2 the sequel.
  • Options
    I watched an interesting programme a couple of weeks ago about the Irish border. They interviewed a guy who walks across the border every day to go to work. He lives in the north and works in the south.

He claims to be £440 per month worse off, due to the pound weakening against the euro, as he obviously gets paid in euros, and has to exchange his money every month.
  • Options
    cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    HAYSIE said:

I watched an interesting programme a couple of weeks ago about the Irish border. They interviewed a guy who walks across the border every day to go to work. He lives in the north and works in the south.

He claims to be £440 per month worse off, due to the pound weakening against the euro, as he obviously gets paid in euros, and has to exchange his money every month.

This can't be the case.

If the guy you talk of is working in the south and getting paid in euro his salary would be worth roughly ten per cent more when he exchanges it for sterling than it was pre the brexit vote.

I live in the south and work in Northern Ireland, I get paid in sterling and all my bills (mortgage etc) are in euro.
    I have experienced an approximate ten per cent drop in salary in real terms due to the exchange rate fluctuations since the good people of the UK voted for brexit.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    cpfc_2010 said:

HAYSIE said:

This can't be the case.

If the guy you talk of is working in the south and getting paid in euro his salary would be worth roughly ten per cent more when he exchanges it for sterling than it was pre the brexit vote.

I live in the south and work in Northern Ireland, I get paid in sterling and all my bills (mortgage etc) are in euro.
    I have experienced an approximate ten per cent drop in salary in real terms due to the exchange rate fluctuations since the good people of the UK voted for brexit.
    I am not sure when the story was filmed. The article below would fit if he has a decent job, and it was written last year.
    Just out of interest when I worked in Portugal in 2001, we were getting around 1.66 euros to the pound.

Brexit one year on: Pound DOWN 13.7% against the euro since EU referendum

A year after the Brexit vote sterling is down 13.7% against the euro with further volatility on the horizon.
    Despite a slight hike today, the pound has suffered immensely since the the EU referendum last year.
    The value of sterling slumped to a 31-year low after the results of the referendum were announced on this day last year – hitting lows of €1.10677 to the pound.
    After the market’s initial shock at the referendum result came the “flash crash”, which saw the pound tumble to its lowest levels against the dollar since 1985.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/travel-news/624571/Pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-Brexit-one-year-on-down-low-EU-referendum-cheap-holiday-money
  • Options
    cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    Type your comment
    HAYSIE said:

cpfc_2010 said:

HAYSIE said:

This can't be the case.

I am not sure when the story was filmed. The article below would fit if he has a decent job, and it was written last year.
    Just out of interest when I worked in Portugal in 2001, we were getting around 1.66 euros to the pound.

Brexit one year on: Pound DOWN 13.7% against the euro since EU referendum

A year after the Brexit vote sterling is down 13.7% against the euro with further volatility on the horizon.
    Despite a slight hike today, the pound has suffered immensely since the the EU referendum last year.
    The value of sterling slumped to a 31-year low after the results of the referendum were announced on this day last year – hitting lows of €1.10677 to the pound.
    After the market’s initial shock at the referendum result came the “flash crash”, which saw the pound tumble to its lowest levels against the dollar since 1985.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/travel-news/624571/Pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-Brexit-one-year-on-down-low-EU-referendum-cheap-holiday-money
    No it wouldn't.

If the Pound is 13 % down vs the Euro and he is being paid in Euro he would be 13% better off.
  • Options
    Good thinking. In that case I must have got it the wrong way around. He must have lived in the south and worked in the north.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I have a friend effected by this, lives in the south and works in the north and because of the effective wage cut they are faced with either selling their boat or getting rid of one of the staff that works for them. Not a good situation to be in.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    MattBates said:

I have a friend effected by this, lives in the south and works in the north and because of the effective wage cut they are faced with either selling their boat or getting rid of one of the staff that works for them. Not a good situation to be in.

It really will be a shame if he has to give up his home.

• Options
    MattBates said:

Particularly if you are the staff member in question.
  • Options

MattBates said:

You can see why he needs a boat.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MattBates said:

You can see why he needs a boat.
    ha ha.
  • Options
    goldon said:
    The mans house is on an island, which will prove difficult to get off, if he has to sell his boat.
    If he keeps his boat, and sacks a member of his staff, it will be just another Brexit job loss.
    You should feel guilty.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,543
    Who me feel anything .... numb below the belt....... you still going on about how the Majority made History.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Who me feel anything .... numb below the belt....... you still going on about how the Majority made History.

Brother of Boris.

Uneducated people voted to leave the EU, suggests Jo Johnson.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/04/uneducated-people-voted-to-leave-the-eu-suggests-jo-johnson/
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Brother of Boris.

Uneducated people voted to leave the EU, suggests Jo Johnson.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/04/uneducated-people-voted-to-leave-the-eu-suggests-jo-johnson/
    And educated people quote themselves and laugh at their own jokes 😉
  • Options
    achillachill Member Posts: 1,056

HAYSIE Posts: 901Member
    September 9
    achill said:
    Really interesting thread guys, just read it from start to finish. I haven't been on the forum in years and was really surprised to find such an in-depth discussion.

If I get the time at a more reasonable hour I will give my reasons for voting leave.

Have to say the shambles the government is making of the negotiations has me questioning my choice.

goldon 2 the sequel.

It's on my "to do" list. Having a life stops me being on here every minute of the day.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,543
    Take your time ......... the also ran's are on tilt.