You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    HAYSIE said:

Is this a Brexit thread or an anti labour thread? ...sorry the lines are a bit fuzzy .

Just comprehensively answering an ill judged post.

I must admit that I am starting to totally dislike Jeremy Corbyn, and the Labour Party.
    John McDonnell tries to lie about his comments.
    I listened to Chris Williamson this morning droning on for 20 minutes about nothing being wrong in the Labour Party.

They had a party meeting on Monday night, to give them a boost after the resignations.

It was an absolute car crash of a meeting.

Where was Corbyn?

He just hasn't got a clue.
    Er...no, you're not. You are putting your point of view, badly.
    I'll post what i like, thanks.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,067
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Is this a Brexit thread or an anti labour thread? ...sorry the lines are a bit fuzzy .

I must admit that I am starting to totally dislike Jeremy Corbyn, and the Labour Party.
    I listened to Chris Williamson this morning droning on for 20 minutes about nothing being wrong in the Labour Party.

They had a party meeting on Monday night, to give them a boost after the resignations.

Where was Corbyn?

You are fully entitled to do that, although it doesn't mean it is correct.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.
    Any more than your opinion is "comprehensive" or your opinion (or mine) is any more than just that, an opinion.
    Ill-judged? Try your walls of text of other peoples' opinions which have been overtaken by events.
    Every post like that makes me just a little bit more comfortable with Brexit.
    And "starting" to dislike Corbyn? You do read your own comments, do you?
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2019
    And now , welcome to my world ......see how hard it is ?
    Been saying it forever and as much I love Haysie ...there aint any point arguing on here , because it's a hobby for him ........Never been a debate , just a one sided opinion , and anyone who bats for the other side , gets argued off . ................advantage ? it gets forum views , but mainly because people want to watch the arguing , not for the so called debate .
    Have a nice evening :)
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.
    Any more than your opinion is "comprehensive" or your opinion (or mine) is any more than just that, an opinion.
    Ill-judged? Try your walls of text of other peoples' opinions which have been overtaken by events.
    Can I just respectfully point out that when pressed the Labour Party admitted to 673 Anti semitic complaints regarding Labour Party members in 10 months.

This figure was disputed as Margaret Hodge alone had received 200.

They refused to provide any details of any pre 2018 complaints.

The police were aware of 2,500 hate messages that Luciana Berger received in one three day period.

Four people have been convicted of abusing her, three of whom have been jailed.

Corbyn couldnt be bothered to attend the meeting.

Jennie Formby, who is now in charge of it commented as follows,
    "I totally reject the suggestion that the existence of anti-Semitism in our party is a smear. I have seen hard evidence of it and that is why I have been so determined to do whatever is possible to eliminate it from the party."
    But Labour MP Dame Margaret Hodge tweeted a warning not to trust the figures and said she was not convinced the party's leadership were "serious on rooting out anti-Semitism".

By Iain Watson, BBC political correspondent

If the Labour leadership believed that producing statistics on anti-Semitism cases would quell internal criticism, then they called it wrong.
    Labour MPs who had pushed for the figures to be made public, then questioned their veracity.
    And some criticised the party hierarchy for expelling so few members - 12 - who had breached the rules.
    The Labour leader was also criticised for not being present at tonight's parliamentary party meeting to discuss the issue.
    So flames of discontent have been fanned not extinguished.
    Following Monday's meeting of the PLP, a letter addressed to Jeremy Corbyn and signed by seven Labour MPs, including Dame Margaret, Luciana Berger and John Mann, accused the leadership of not respecting the PLP motion for more information on anti-Semitism cases.
    The letter called for a vote on it at Tuesday's shadow cabinet meeting, as "no-one from the leadership presented the information requested", saying: "The party should respect the mandate of the PLP's resolution".
    It lists eight points where the MPs believe there to be a lack of information, including the amount spent on legal counsel and the fact that only nine months' worth of data was released.
    Questioning the figures provided, Dame Margaret told the BBC if she had submitted 200 complaints alone, the official figure of 673 complaints against party members suffered from "a total lack of credibility".
    She said she was "depressed" and "genuinely upset".
    Labour MP Catherine McKinnell said there was a question mark over the "inability to produce data that predates 2018".
    "The data we have does reveal the use of 'reminders of conduct' as a way of resolving a complaint without an investigation - it's not clear what criteria is being used," she said.
    "Somebody from the leadership needs to come so we can ask the questions and get some answers. We have ongoing concerns."
    Labour MP Ruth Smeeth - who has suffered anti-Semitic abuse - added: "This is not over."
    BBC political correspondent Iain Watson said that during the private PLP meeting, Louise Ellman - president of the Jewish Labour Movement - raised the details of a specific case where she believed insufficient action had been taken.
    The former party general secretary Iain McNicol defended his record in tackling anti-Semitism before Ms Formby took over, our correspondent added.
    A party spokeswoman said that Ms Formby would attend a future meeting when available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203397

edited February 2019
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.
    I wasn't suggesting that my opinion was comprehensive.

I was pointing out that I had posted a number of articles which in my view point out that Antisemitism is a far more serious issue in the Labour Party than you were suggesting.

I also think that if Corbyn was taking this seriously, he would at least turn up for the meetings, as would the person in charge of the issue.

I don't know if Corbyn is Antisemitic. I don't know if his failure to sort the problem out is down to the fact that he doesn't care, or his poor leadership.

Whatever it is it just drags on and on.

Tom Watson seems to have a much more realistic view of it.

I had no wish yo cause you any offence.

And now , welcome to my world ......see how hard it is ?
    Been saying it forever and as much I love Haysie ...there aint any point arguing on here , because it's a hobby for him ........Never been a debate , just a one sided opinion , and anyone who bats for the other side , gets argued off . ................advantage ? it gets forum views , but mainly because people want to watch the arguing , not for the so called debate .
    Have a nice evening :)

I would obviously dispute this.

Don't be surprised to hear from my legal representatives.

No VAR might have won me the bet.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.

I was pointing out that I had posted a number of articles which in my view point out that Antisemitism is a far more serious issue in the Labour Party than you were suggesting.

I also think that if Corbyn was taking this seriously, he would at least turn up for the meetings, as would the person in charge of the issue.

I don't know if Corbyn is Antisemitic. I don't know if his failure to sort the problem out is down to the fact that he doesn't care, or his poor leadership.

I don't like Corbyn, never have.
    However, in my view there is nothing he could do which would improve matters.

Having said that, Tom Watson would be a far better leader.

No offence taken-have a good day.
    The papers are dominated by the defection of the three Conservative MPs to the Independent Group.
    "Let's get this party started" is the headline in City AM, which pictures the self-styled "three amigos" alongside the eight Labour MPs they have joined forces with.
    Some of the other papers come up with less charitable nicknames. The Daily Express calls them "Tory turncoats".
    The Sun labels them "the three disagrees", and says their actions have pushed Theresa May's government "close to breaking point".
    The Daily Mail suggests they wish to go further than that and destroy the Conservative party entirely.
    It highlights Heidi Allen's comment that there won't be a Tory party to go back to if they do their jobs properly.
    The Daily Telegraph says the timing of their departure - just before Prime Minister's Questions - was calculated to cause "maximum embarrassment" to Mrs May.

They may have been emboldened, the Guardian suggests, by the failure of the leadership to get in touch with them.
    It reports the phones of the three MPs were "melting" with calls in the 24 hours before their departure - but two calls never came: from Downing Street or the Tory Whips' office.
    The same was not true of Mrs May's predecessor though, according to the Times. It reports David Cameron made a late - and unusual - intervention to ask the MPs: "Is it too late to persuade you to stay?"
    It was too late - and the question has now become: how many more will join them? The Daily Mirror says Mrs May is "braced for a further exodus" with her party in "meltdown."
    The i says the same is true of Labour. It has been told by an unnamed backbencher that "lots of MPs" - potentially dozens - are on the point of walking out over Jeremy Corbyn's leadership

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47313276
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.

I would have to disagree, in that of the many problems that are often faced by political leaders, this would be a fairly easy one to resolve.

Failure to do so will continue to haunt them.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.

I would have to disagree, in that of the many problems that are often faced by political leaders, this would be a fairly easy one to resolve.

"Fairly easy one to resolve?"

You haven't digested the remarks I made earlier in relation to how antisemitism has crossed over to mean Israel.

To give an example, an MP was vilified a few years ago in the Jewish Chronicle and by local Jewish groups for failing to show support for Israel. Her name?-Luciana Berger.

For Jeremy Corbyn to "resolve" this issue, he would have to abandon another race, namely the Palestinians, that he has supported all his life.

Then in the afternoon he could resolve the Irish question and Brexit, before a little light tea :)
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019

I don't really want this to turn into a personal argument, but do wish to point out my difference of opinion on this post.

650 people work in the same building. 262 of them (til yesterday) were Labour MPs. Of course he has spoken to her. What I expect she meant was that there has been no meaningful conversation on this subject.

She has stated in a number of interviews that he had not spoken to her directly for over 14 months. I am flabbergasted by this, under the circumstances. He has made no defence of his position, so I will side with her version.

It all depends on what you mean by antisemitic.

This is irrelevant, the Labour Party eventually agreed their definition of Antisemitism last September, after months of rowing over it.

Antisemitism is a problem that plagued the Labour Party before Corbyn became leader. Yet it took him three years to take the first step which was to agree a definition.

There was obviously a legal definition available prior to him being appointed leader as two of Luciana Bergers attackers had been jailed by then.

To some, it means anti-Jewish. Corbyn is not, the Labour Party is not.
    However, to some people, antisemitic means that you do not support Israel (and, by extension, support the Palestinian cause). Corbyn certainly meets that criteria, as do some members of the Labour Party.

Corbyn has been accused, and I am not certain of how you would define whether the Labour Party is or not. As far as individuals are concerned, the Labour Party decided in the end, to adopt the IHRA definition, in full.

Personally, I do not believe it is racist to support EITHER the Israeli OR Palestinian position. But many people disagree.

Your personal views don't come into it.

Some numbers sound like they mean more than they do. For example, IF there are only 700 complaints, 1 campaigner says she has made more than 200 of them.

You are using the 200 complaints against Margaret Hodge as a means to minimise the overall total complaints. The MPs used this in a completely different context. They maintained that because one person had reported 200 complaints, that the 700 total that Labour was reporting was unlikely to be true.

Corbyn is in a cleft stick, formed during times when he was a rebel rather than a leader. He cannot be open about his loyalties, because it would cost him votes. It is his years of ploughing his own furrow that prevent him being an effective leader. He reminds me of a traditional C of E vicar-great at preaching to the converted, but out of touch with the non-believers.

I think he has been particularly negligent. The complaints that have been discussed have been purely those that have been made by MPs against Labour Party members. The number of attacks against members by other members, is likely to be a much wider problem. This was evidenced by the resignation of the Brighton Councillor this week.

It always annoys me that the press in this country concentrate on attacking the left. Anyone think Baroness Warsi's points on racism in the Tory party are not equally valid?

If Corbyn decided to give notice that he intended to disregard all previous complaints, and sling those guilty of future offences out of the party, it would be the first step to solving the problem.

I would agree that the Tories don't get much publicity on racism. I don't know if this is because it is less of a problem, or through some sort of bias.

I don't think you can write off 700 complaints in 9 or 10 months as insignificant. These are complaints made by MPs against Labour Part members. The MPs claim that this figure is underestimated.

The leader has not seemed very determined in his efforts to solve this problem.

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.

You haven't digested the remarks I made earlier in relation to how antisemitism has crossed over to mean Israel.

To give an example, an MP was vilified a few years ago in the Jewish Chronicle and by local Jewish groups for failing to show support for Israel. Her name?-Luciana Berger.

For Jeremy Corbyn to "resolve" this issue, he would have to abandon another race, namely the Palestinians, that he has supported all his life.

Then in the afternoon he could resolve the Irish question and Brexit, before a little light tea :)
    They have adopted a definition of Antisemitism last year.
    I cant see a difficulty in implementing it.
    There is a legal definition that people get jailed for breaching.
    Are you saying they just have to accept it?
    Over 200 Jewish members and supporters of the Labour party sign a letter urging that anyone seeking an end to bigotry and racism should back Labour and Corbyn

You report (19 February) that a number of implacably anti-Corbyn MPs have left the Labour party alleging a failed “approach to dealing with antisemitism”, with Luciana Berger criticising Labour for becoming “sickeningly institutionally racist”.

We are Jewish members and supporters of the Labour party concerned about the current rise of reactionary ideologies, including antisemitism, in Britain and elsewhere across Europe.

We note the worrying growth of populist rightwing parties, encouraging racism, Islamophobia and antisemitism. In Britain the far right is whipping up these prejudices, a threat that requires a resolute and energetic response. But instead we have seen a disproportionate focus on antisemitism on the left, which is abhorrent but relatively rare.
    We believe that the Labour party under the progressive leadership of Jeremy Corbyn is a crucial ally in the fight against bigotry and reaction. His lifetime record of campaigning for equality and human rights, including consistent support for initiatives against antisemitism, is formidable. His involvement strengthens this struggle.
    Labour governments introduced both the anti-racist and human rights legislation of the 20th century and the 2010 Equalities Act. A Labour government led by Jeremy Corbyn will be a powerful force to fight against racism, Islamophobia and antisemitism.

It is in this context that we welcome the Labour party’s endorsement of freedom of expression on Israel and on the rights of Palestinians. Labour is correct to recognise that while prejudice against Jewish people is deplorable, criticism of Israel’s government and policies can and must be made.

We urge all who wish to see an end to bigotry and racism, and who seek a more just society, to give their support to the Labour party

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/20/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-crucial-ally-in-fight-against-antisemitism
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Where was Corbyn?

Of course it doesn't.

The anti-Semitism scandal has dogged Labour since Jeremy Corbyn was elected leader in 2015.

Here is a timeline of the controversies:
    April 2016:
    Labour MP Naz Shah is suspended for anti-Semitic posts - including one in which she appeared to endorse calls for Israelis to be deported to the US.
    She apologised and was given a formal warning.
    Ken Livingstone goes on the radio to defend Ms Shah - but sparks fresh controversy by claiming that Hitler supported Zionism.
    He is suspended by Labour but refuses to apologise and has repeated the claim many times.
    He eventually quits Labour two years later, saying his suspension has become a distraction.

June 2016:
    A two-month inquiry by civil liberties campaigner Shami Chakrabarti finds that Labour is not overrun by anti-Semitism.
    But the launch is overshadowed when Jewish Labour MP Ruth Smeeth flees it in tears after being accused by Corbyn supporter Marc Wadsworth of colluding with the press.
    Critics accuse the report of being a whitewash and Ms Chakrabarti is widely criticised for accepting a peerage from Jeremy Corbyn shortly afterwards.
    October 2016:
    The Home Affairs Select Committee says Labour is guilty of incompetence over its handling of anti-Semitism and of creating a safe space for people with 'vile attitudes towards Jewish people'

March 2018
    It is revealed that Jeremy Corbyn defended an artist who painted an anti-Semitic mural and said the offensive art should be removed.
    He apologises saying he did not properly look at the picture before he made the post.
    Jewish leaders take the unprecedented step of holding a demonstration outside Parliament protesting Mr Corbyn's failure to tackle anti-Semitism.
    Several Labour MPs address the crowds.

April 2018:
    Marc Wadsworth is expelled from Labour after being accused of anti-Semitism.
    Meanwhile, Labour Jewish MPs tell of the anti-Semitic abuse they have suffered in a powerful parliamentary debate - and round on their leader for failing to tackle it.

July 2018

The Labour leadership sparks fresh anger by failing to fully adopt the
    International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition of anti-Semitism
    Peter Willsman, a strong ally of Jeremy Corbyn, is secretly taped ranting that Jewish 'Trump fanatics' invented the anti-Semitism storm engulfing Labour.
    In an angry diatribe at a meeting of Labour's ruling executive committee, he said he was 'amazed' there was evidence party members hated Jews.
    He claimed 'some of these people in the Jewish community support Trump – they are Trump fanatics' before shouting: 'So I am not going to be lectured to by Trump fanatics making up duff information without any evidence at all.'

August 2018:
    Jeremy Corbyn issues a video insisting he is committed to tackling the racism - but it is panned by Jewish leaders.
    Corbynistas mount a social media campaign to get deputy Labour leader Tom Watson to quit after he criticises the party's handling of anti-Semitism.
    The Daily Mail exclusively publishes photos of Jeremy Corbyn holding a wreath at a ceremony where a terrorist linked to the Munich massacre was honoured.
    The Labour leader insists he was there to honour others killed - but faces fresh calls to quit over the scandal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6717487/Len-McCluskey-brands-anti-Corbyn-MPs-hypocrites.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

Over 200 Jewish members and supporters of the Labour party sign a letter urging that anyone seeking an end to bigotry and racism should back Labour and Corbyn

You report (19 February) that a number of implacably anti-Corbyn MPs have left the Labour party alleging a failed “approach to dealing with antisemitism”, with Luciana Berger criticising Labour for becoming “sickeningly institutionally racist”.

We are Jewish members and supporters of the Labour party concerned about the current rise of reactionary ideologies, including antisemitism, in Britain and elsewhere across Europe.

We note the worrying growth of populist rightwing parties, encouraging racism, Islamophobia and antisemitism. In Britain the far right is whipping up these prejudices, a threat that requires a resolute and energetic response. But instead we have seen a disproportionate focus on antisemitism on the left, which is abhorrent but relatively rare.
    We believe that the Labour party under the progressive leadership of Jeremy Corbyn is a crucial ally in the fight against bigotry and reaction. His lifetime record of campaigning for equality and human rights, including consistent support for initiatives against antisemitism, is formidable. His involvement strengthens this struggle.
    Labour governments introduced both the anti-racist and human rights legislation of the 20th century and the 2010 Equalities Act. A Labour government led by Jeremy Corbyn will be a powerful force to fight against racism, Islamophobia and antisemitism.

It is in this context that we welcome the Labour party’s endorsement of freedom of expression on Israel and on the rights of Palestinians. Labour is correct to recognise that while prejudice against Jewish people is deplorable, criticism of Israel’s government and policies can and must be made.

We urge all who wish to see an end to bigotry and racism, and who seek a more just society, to give their support to the Labour party

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/20/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-crucial-ally-in-fight-against-antisemitism

She is the person in charge. I don't she could have been any clearer.

Ms Formby said: "I totally reject the suggestion that the existence of anti-Semitism in our party is a smear. I have seen hard evidence of it and that is why I have been so determined to do whatever is possible to eliminate it from the party."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203397
    673 complaints of anti-Semitism by Labour Party members were received - a Labour spokesman said this represented about 0.1% of the membership
    96 members were immediately suspended after complaints were made and a further 211 were told they would be investigated

Hardly not doing anything about it
    146 members received a first warning, and 220 cases did not have sufficient evidence of a breach of party rules for an investigation
    Of the 307 who were suspended or notified of an investigation, 44 members left the party
    Another 96 were referred to the party's anti-Semitism Disputes Panel
    Of the 96, 16 members were issued with a formal warning from the National Executive Committee, six members' cases were referred for further investigation, 25 members were issued with reminder of conduct (a first written warning), and seven members' cases were closed as the full evidence suggested no further action should be taken
    The panel decided to refer the other 42 members to Labour's National Constitutional Committee (NCC), with five members leaving before their cases were reviewed
    Of the 37 cases referred to the NCC, 12 members were expelled and six received sanctions, while the rest await their outcome
    The other members who were suspended or notified of an investigation are either still under investigation or are cases where the investigation revealed evidence that meant the case could not be pursued further
    The party received a further 433 complaints which were not about Labour party members