You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,068
    My grandfather was a Nazi. I’ve seen why we need the EU

Until his death in the early 1990s, my grandad was a committed Nazi. Most of his elder brothers died in one night at the battle of the Hartmannsweilerkopf in the first world war. In a bitterly traumatised interwar Germany, defined by hatred against foreigners, Jews and democracy as well as delusions of national grandeur, he was unemployed for most of the 1920s. He joined the Nazi party early, and volunteered to fight in 1940. He became a staff sergeant in the Wehrmacht and led a so-called “anti-partisan” unit on the eastern front, and participated in the capture of Kiev.
    The EU is under attack from the far right. Here’s how I learned to defend it
    Schams El Ghoneimi
    Read more

We believe he took part in the September 1941 Babi Yar massacre, in which more than 33,000 Jewish inhabitants of Kiev were shot. Until his death he would rant about Jews, the French and the perfidious Albion. He never left the country again and he’d be in a near panic when coming close to a border.
    My maternal grandfather, meanwhile, was a teacher from Duisburg. When he went to war he left his wife, two children, his camera, his library and all hope of survival behind. He survived three years on the eastern front but never played music again, never took up photography again. He was a broken man. While he was away, my grandmother remained in Duisburg. She was “bombed out” three times, meaning that her flat or house got a direct hit. Until her death, the sound of sirens would send her into a panic.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/20/grandfather-nazi-eu-world-war-two-germans-peace
    Avoiding a no-deal crash-out won’t stop Brexit wrecking our economy

T
    he news from Honda that it will be closing its Swindon factory in 2022 with the loss of 3,500 jobs follows a warning by Airbus that it could slash investment in the UK, and an announcement by Nissan that it is abandoning its commitment to make the X-Trail SUV in Sunderland. We all have to wake up to what’s happening in our country. Britain is losing billions every week because of the uncertainty surrounding the future of UK trade, investment is being shelved and businesses are shifting from Britain to the EU’s single market. Around £800bn of financial assets are being moved from the country ahead of Brexit.

This economic drain will continue until investors and businesses know categorically what future relationship Britain will have with Europe. Theresa May’s deal does not set this out. The same is true for trade secretary Liam Fox’s abortive negotiating efforts: other countries won’t strike substantive trade deals until they know where Britain is going to end up with regard to Europe’s giant market. This is at the core of Britain’s current languishing state.
    A resolution of the uncertainty is urgently needed. But May is wrong in arguing that this can be achieved by agreeing to her deal because it purposely obscures the conditions under which businesses and investors will be operating in post-Brexit Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/20/no-deal-brexit-wrecking-economy-trade
    Does the Labour split make a fresh referendum more likely?

Analysis: The rebel MPs were unwilling to go along with a referendum campaign that accepted the Labour leadership’s ambiguity over a new vote, as Joe Watts explains

The tears in Chris Leslie’s eyes as he announced his resignation from the Labour Party spoke to the severity of the split Westminster witnessed on Monday.
    But while the rupture over antisemitism, Brexit and Jeremy Corbyn’s values is stark, the press conference also pointed to a major rift in another, younger movement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-referendum-labour-independent-group-split-mps-vote-remain-jeremy-corbyn-a8785106.html
    Honda factory closure: Did Swindon vote for Brexit in EU referendum?

Swindon - made up of two constituencies: North Swindon and South Swindon - was one of the first areas to declare a Leave result in 2016

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/swindon-brexit-vote-honda-factory-closure-eu-referendum-result/
    FOOD TAX ROW Theresa May’s plan for No Deal tariffs delayed by Cabinet row over tax on food imports
    Ministers 'cannot agree' as Environment Secretary Michael Gove is pushing for higher tariffs but Chancellor Philip Hammond is lobbying for lower duties in order to protect consumers

Environment Secretary Michael Gove is pushing for higher tariffs but Chancellor Philip Hammond and Trade Secretary Liam Fox are lobbying for lower duties in order to protect consumers.
    A Cabinet sub-committee on trade, chaired by the Prime Minister, was supposed to make a final decision on Wednesday but the row means it was taken off the agenda.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8464561/no-deal-brexit-tariffs-delay-food-import-tax-row/
    BREXIT: "Extremely unprofessional": Mark Francois launches attack on Olly Robbins "BAR REVELATIONS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGjSGNDCSbA
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

He just said on the telly that his plan for Brexit was to get the Government to take no deal off the table, and then negotiate intelligently with the EU for a deal. He is planning a trip to Brussels on Thursday.
    Firstly he has no standing in EU negotiations.
    Secondly this is categorically not what was voted for so overwhelmingly at their Conference.
    Keep an eye out for more resignations over the next couple of days.

Keep watching.
    Shocking behaviour , him wanting to work towards a resolution , where May and her oafs have failed . ;)
    The word on the street is that 3 Tories will be joining them tomorrow.

Read it here first.
    Find out why production Line Manager At Nissan voted Leave on James O'Brien show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9pJEJqoxfI
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    To be honest ..I'd really rather stick knitting needles in my eyes , than listen to James O'Brien ......throwback to the irritating old talk radio jocks like the horrible james whale and equally irritating Mike Dicken

To be honest ..I'd really rather stick knitting needles in my eyes , than listen to James O'Brien ......throwback to the irritating old talk radio jocks like the horrible james whale and equally irritating Mike Dicken

The caller was quite an unusual leave voter
    Just been listening to the Tory 3 speaking on the telly.
    Even though I quite like some of the Labour bunch, I thought they were much more impressive.
    They seemed sincere, motivated, and at times inspirational.
    This is not the end of the resignations by any means.
    HAYSIE said:

Even though I quite like some of the Labour bunch, I thought they were much more impressive.

Thats how they all seem , before they get a foothold !

HAYSIE said:

They could have stayed where they were and accepted the nonsense.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

You're right , they spotted an opportunity to grab the spotlight ... :D
    HAYSIE said:

650 people work in the same building. 262 of them (til yesterday) were Labour MPs. Of course he has spoken to her. What I expect she meant was that there has been no meaningful conversation on this subject.

It all depends on what you mean by antisemitic.

To some, it means anti-Jewish. Corbyn is not, the Labour Party is not.
    However, to some people, antisemitic means that you do not support Israel (and, by extension, support the Palestinian cause). Corbyn certainly meets that criteria, as do some members of the Labour Party.

A pretty weird response for a non racist that is "concerned"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMueQx4SOg

Here he goes slithering around in his chair being very very uncomfortable. Typical,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7j7NdnJ18

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

You're right , they spotted an opportunity to grab the spotlight ... :D
    I couldn't currently vote for either of the main parties.
    HAYSIE said:

Here he goes slithering around in his chair being very very uncomfortable. Typical,

He's being a politician , no better nor worse than May or any of them

HAYSIE said:

He's being a politician , no better nor worse than May or any of them
    He says Labour is the most democratic party, when clearly they are not.
    His handling of the Antisemitism shows how ineffective a leader he is.
    If you think there will be no more resignations you are mistaken.
    He is an absolute disaster.
    He will never be Prime Minister.