You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,058
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    This is just tosh. It is exactly this sort of biased reporting from Government that caused the problem in the first place.

It presupposes that it is "democratic" both to split the Leave vote in 2, while pretending that everyone who wants to Remain is of 1 mind.

you might as well have 3 options saying:-

1. Leave
    2. Remain and be open-minded on further EU integration on the Euro and a Joint Army
    3. Remain but insist that there is no further non-trade integration

Ooh, look. 600 seats for leave.

The minute you start changing the original question (In or Out) you get a different answer. And pretending otherwise is just duping the public.
    So they weren't duped in the first place?
    BBC host Robinson LOSES CONTROL as guests keep calling Brexit a **** – 'one at a time'
    BBC NEWS host Nick Robinson was forced to intervene during a furious clash between Remainer MP Phillip Lee and columnist Camilla Tominey on Brexit being labelled a “****”.

Phillip Lee referred to Brexit as a “****”, leading to an extremely heated debate with Telegraph columnist Camilla Tominey. BBC presenter Nick Robinson was forced to interrupt and ask each panel member to speak “one at a time”. Speaking on Politics Live, Mr Lee began: “What I have never understood is why the Conservative Party at the top made a decision in 2016 to own Brexit, to become the Brexit Party. There were lots of Labour voters who voted Brexit, it could have been a cross-party exercise, a cross-party committee, maybe the Liaisons Committee.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1089864/BBC-news-Brexit-****-video-BBC-Politics-Live-Nick-Robinson-Phillip-Lee
    DEAFENING silence when BBC QT audience asked if they agree with Labour MP Barry Gardiner
    THE BBC Question Time audience fell silent last night when Fiona Bruce asked them if they supported what Labour MP Barry Gardiner was saying.

Mr Gardiner was quizzed on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party and confessed it is absolutely unacceptable and that the party “should be for minority groups”. During his defence of Labour Party’s response to anti-Semitism, he highlighted that Jeremy Corbyn has taken the most active role in all of Parliament in fighting against racism. He added that he is confident in Labour’s process to kick anti-Semites out of the party.But the audience didn’t appear to agree with him.
    Host, Fiona Bruce, asked the audience if they supported what the Labour MP had said.
    The audience fell silent in response to the question and one person did eventually agree discussions around racism should also involve the right-wing.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1094113/bbc-question-time-latest-news-barry-gardiner-fiona-bruce-labour-party-antisemitism
    Brexit LIVE: Raab launches stinging attack on 'dishonourable' EU over backstop
    Former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab has launched a stinging attack on the European Union, accusing it of behaving “dishonourably” in negotiations and using the Irish border issue to try to lock the UK into their laws.

Mr Raab, who also said he could not vote for Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit divorce deal “as it stands”, without the replacement of the backstop proposal for the Irish border, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I think if the EU want to extend the flexibility and pragmatism that we've shown this deal is there to be done, but of course they're trying to drag us into deep waters. George Eustice referred to frankly the dishonourable way that they've tried to bully us and shove us around and it's time for us to stand up as a Government and as a country." He added: "It's very clear that they've used the Northern Ireland protocol and backstop as a means of trying to press on the sensitive issue of Northern Ireland and with all the sensitivities around that, in order effectively to try and lock us into a range of their laws, really just to undercut our competitive market."

I've got no problem with the EU negotiating to protect their interests and I think in fairness the Prime Minister has bent over backwards to try and satisfy and respect the equities on the EU side.
    "But I think trying to use Northern Ireland - given the history of that conflict, given the secessionist tendencies in other European countries - in order to put pressure on us in the way that they have, no, I don't think that's right. Frankly I don't think its right from the point of view of European unity and solidarity."

Separately, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was dealt a blow after a poll suggested one third of his party’s voters could defect to the so-called Independent Group, or TIG, fronted by Brexit rebels including Chuka Umunna and Anna Soubry if they fielded candidates in a general election.The Politico-Hanbury survey has suggested he and his colleagues would attract significant support from voters, indicating they would be popular among disaffected Labour supporters, 32.4 percent of whom said they were either likely or very likely to cast their vote for a TIG candidate if it was an option.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1094154/brexit-live-labour-Corbyn-poll-tig-independent-group-chuka-umunna
    Brexiteer Tory MPs will back Theresa May's revised Brexit deal… IF she sets timetable for when she will quit as PM
    May has promised to hold a new 'meaningful vote' on her deal before March 12
    Some Brexiteer MPs could back the deal if the PM tells them when she quits
    One senior MP said Mrs May needs to 'lay out her timetable for her departure'

Dozens of Brexiteer Tory MPs will back Theresa May's Brexit deal if she sets a timetable for when she will quit as Prime Minister.
    A number of Brexiteer MPs are now prepared to vote for the deal, even if Mrs May isn't able to secure any significant changes.
    Mrs May faces a new Commons vote to approve her revised Brexit deal on March 12.
    One senior MP told The Sun: 'We need her to lay out a timetable for her departure this year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6758857/Brexiteer-Tory-MPs-Mays-revised-Brexit-deal-sets-timetable-quit.html
    Labour party accused of 'vengeful' action against husband of Independent Group MP

The Labour party has been accused of “vengeful” action against an MP who resigned last week to form the Independent Group.
    The husband of Angela Smith has faced a standoff with local activists over his reselection as a councillor. On Thursday Steve Wilson announced he was quitting the party.
    Mr Wilson, who has been Sheffield councillor for eight years, told the Telegraph he felt “forced out”.
    “I feel really sad the Labour party has turned into this - a party that seems only interested in having a war with itself. It’s an intimidating and unpleasant place to be now.”
    Ms Smith said the move against her husband was driven by Momentum activists, and a "nasty, petty, toxic culture” in Labour.
    "It feels...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/28/labour-party-accused-vengeful-action-against-husband-independent/
    Tory divisions: the factions preparing for fall of May's Brexit deal
    Senior Conservatives are lining up to push their agenda should PM fail to win over Commons

As Theresa May’s cabinet prepares to sell her beleaguered Brexit deal to MPs and around the country, we take a look at the different factions and how they are preparing for plan B should the prime minister’s proposals be voted down.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/27/tory-divisions-the-factions-preparing-for-fall-of-theresa-mays-brexit-deal
    Brexit is the last straw for young people like me – we need a Final Say referendum to protect our futures
    Over the past few years, we’ve been priced out of housing and been turned into a generation unable to establish ourselves independently

Politics is changing whether the establishment likes it or not. Trust in traditional politics is low and institutions are weak, but pro-EU campaign groups and activist networks are springing up everywhere. Politics is facing a crisis of inclusion – young people want in but often don’t feel welcome or represented.
    That’s why I joined a (polite) mob at parliament yesterday from Our Future, Our Choice (OFOC) determined to have our voice heard in the halls of Westminster. We want a say in the political manoeuvring that is defining our future, and through lobbying and “green carding” we can grab the attention of our MPs and deliver our message on the importance of a new referendum on Brexit.

And it’s also why I will be joining the hundreds of thousands of protestors on Saturday 23 March calling upon our politicians to put it to the electorate. Young people from around the country should join me in demanding again a Final Say on the Brexit deal. Apparently 700,000 frustrated protestors wasn’t enough.

We have become used to people like Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson representing an old-school crew that continue to dominate politics. But change is inevitable as young people start to make their voice heard. The climate-change demonstrations across the country last week were a glorious example.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-second-referendum-young-voters-corbyn-may-a8801511.html
    Migration from outside EU hits high as Europe arrivals plunge

MIGRATION from outside the EU hit the highest level in nearly 15 years, as arrivals from the bloc saw a post-referendum plunge, figures reveal.
    More than a quarter of a million more non-EU citizens came to the country than left in the year ending September 2018, the highest estimate since 2004 and nearly three times the government’s 100,000 target level.
    Meanwhile, EU net migration almost halved year-on-year to 57,000.
    Figures for the EU8 states — Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia — show 15,000 more people left Britain than arrived.
    Madeleine Sumption, director of Oxford university’s migration observatory, said: ‘The overall story the data tell on EU migration is clear — Britain is not as attractive to EU migrants as it was.’
    While outflow of EU nationals has jumped to an estimated 145,000 since the referendum, immigration of non-EU citizens increased over the past five years. The new figures show migration from Asia rose by around 40,000 to 185,000. Prime minister Theresa May’s spokesman said the increase — branded ‘a real concern’ by Migration Watch UK — was partly driven by the need for NHS staff.

https://www.metro.news/migration-from-outside-eu-hits-high-as-europe-arrivals-plunge/1455560/
    Man on Question Time brands Brexit vote ‘a choice between the worst deal in history and Remain’

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/man-question-time-brexit-worst-vote-in-history-remain/
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    HAYSIE said:

DEAFENING silence when BBC QT audience asked if they agree with Labour MP Barry Gardiner
    THE BBC Question Time audience fell silent last night when Fiona Bruce asked them if they supported what Labour MP Barry Gardiner was saying.

Mr Gardiner was quizzed on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party and confessed it is absolutely unacceptable and that the party “should be for minority groups”. During his defence of Labour Party’s response to anti-Semitism, he highlighted that Jeremy Corbyn has taken the most active role in all of Parliament in fighting against racism. He added that he is confident in Labour’s process to kick anti-Semites out of the party.But the audience didn’t appear to agree with him.
    Host, Fiona Bruce, asked the audience if they supported what the Labour MP had said.
    The audience fell silent in response to the question and one person did eventually agree discussions around racism should also involve the right-wing.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1094113/bbc-question-time-latest-news-barry-gardiner-fiona-bruce-labour-party-antisemitism

Thought Barry Gardiner was very good on QT last night. He is a lot better on antisemitism than on Brexit (where he normally sounds like he doesn't believe a word he is saying).

The audience didn't seem to believe him. They did believe the Palestinian Liberal who said no-one should ever attack Israel. The same MP who calls for UK recognition of Palestine as an independent state. Who attacks the shift in US policy away from neutrality in the Middle East. I'm not saying she should or should not say such things, Just that many in Israel are rather more worried about (for example) the PLO than the British Labour Party. And that the attacks on Corbyn (as opposed to the Labour party) are primarily because he shares her views.

The Conservative person (born in Iraq, not the 1st choice for pro-Israel support) seemed confident that there are no problems in relation to race within his own party. Didn't seem to think it relevant that, when there are racist marches organised, it has been Corbyn and his supporters organising the protest march against racism. And seemed even more incoherent on Brexit than Labour (no mean feat, that).

I'm fascinated by your current stance, Haysie.

You continue to attack the Labour Party. Ignoring the fact that they are the only realistic chance of getting what you want. I stopped supporting them years ago. But shouldn't you start?
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Thought Barry Gardiner was very good on QT last night. He is a lot better on antisemitism than on Brexit (where he normally sounds like he doesn't believe a word he is saying).

The audience didn't seem to believe him. They did believe the Palestinian Liberal who said no-one should ever attack Israel. The same MP who calls for UK recognition of Palestine as an independent state. Who attacks the shift in US policy away from neutrality in the Middle East. I'm not saying she should or should not say such things, Just that many in Israel are rather more worried about (for example) the PLO than the British Labour Party. And that the attacks on Corbyn (as opposed to the Labour party) are primarily because he shares her views.

The Conservative person (born in Iraq, not the 1st choice for pro-Israel support) seemed confident that there are no problems in relation to race within his own party. Didn't seem to think it relevant that, when there are racist marches organised, it has been Corbyn and his supporters organising the protest march against racism. And seemed even more incoherent on Brexit than Labour (no mean feat, that).

I'm fascinated by your current stance, Haysie.

You continue to attack the Labour Party. Ignoring the fact that they are the only realistic chance of getting what you want. I stopped supporting them years ago. But shouldn't you start?
    I haven't watched Question Time yet, I will at some point during today.

I lost any respect for Barry Gardener on Brexit, when he was taped describing Labours 6 tests as b0ll0cks. Yet he continually tried to justify them as being reasonable, in subsequent interviews

I have got issues with Corbyn on many topics.

The Labour Party claims to be the most democratic, as they allow their membership to vote on many things that other parties decide less democratically, in theory.

There is no doubt in my mind that their position on Brexit has been pathetic, and they haven't really played any role until fairly recently.

He claims to have been fully in support of remain in the original referendum. Yet he seemed absent. In fact he went on holiday at a crucial time, and amazingly seeing that he is a vegetarian, chose to attend a Kebab Awards event, rather than one of the last remain rallies, just prior to the referendum vote.

He was accused of sabotaging the campaign.

I will not be persuaded that he really wants a second referendum. This seems hypocritical as a majority of his MPs are in favour, along with a huge percentage of his voters, and members.

His heart is not in it. There is a massive difference between calling for a referendum, because you have been forced to, and putting your heart and soul into getting one. I don't think anyone will be happier than him, if he fails in this respect.

You cant argue that our democracy only applied to the 2016 referendum.

He completely lacks any leadership skills. He continually sends others out to speak for him. He is absent from many important meetings. He struggles to discuss important topics like Antisemitism, and Brexit.

If Corbyn managed a football team, and they were losing a Champions League game 2-1 at halftime, Corbyn would nip off to his allotment to pick a few spuds, and send someone else in to talk to the team. He would end up losing 4-1. Whereas Pep Guardiola would be already in the dressing room waiting for the players. He would inspire, motivate, and instruct them on how they were going to win the game. They would come back and win 3-2.

I would be much happier if a Pep Guardiola of politics was leading the Labour Party, and we would get a second referendum.

Unfortunately Corbyn hasn't got it in him. If it happens, it will not be through Corbyns efforts.

You cant say that you are the leader of the most democratic party, and ignore the democracy that doesn't suit you, or that you disagree with.

Corbyn has been a Eurosceptic his whole life, leopards and spots.

Principled? Corbyn secretly believed in Brexit... but 'campaigned' for Remain, bombshell book reveals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6686975/Corbyn-secretly-believed-Brexit-campaigned-Remain-bombshell-book-reveals.html
    I would like to punch the next MP that points out in an interview on the telly that the EU always do a deal last minute, with a smug look on their face, making out that the rest of us don't know what is happening.

Maybe the EU have done some last minute deals, but its not an EU rule.

You would swear after listening to these absolute idiots that there was a clause in Article 50 that says, all negotiations must go down to the wire.

What are they going to say on 30th March, when we are up the proverbial creek without a paddle?

Its the EUs fault.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,315

Another £33 milly down the swanee......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414699
    Tikay10 said:

This beggared belief.

Compulsory Competitive Tendering has been around for yonks. In addition, Freedom of Information means it is easy to get to the bottom of public contracts. That and the fact that the Government advertised it. Everywhere. After the deal was done.

But the Government, in its desperation to appear pro-British, gave a massive contract to a British firm with no experience and no ships, behind the back of an obvious candidate. In secret. Without even telling Eurotunnel what was going on. With taxpayers' money. When it was blindingly obvious that Eurotunnel would notice. And be entitled to another massive slice of taxpayers' money, rather than seeing who was best for the job in the first place.

This scheme would not have fooled a moron in a hurry.

And this is the party of business?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,315

^^^^

It's beyond belief, isn't it?

It's almost criminally negligent.
    Tikay10 said:

The facts relating to Mr Graylings incompetency are well documented. What does the PMs vote of confidence say about her?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Grayling

Chris Grayling’s record of catastrophic failures | Letter ...
    www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/06/chris...

Letter: The transport secretary has a history of blunder and disaster, writes Jan Clare. As minister of justice he oversaw the virtual destruction of the probation service
    Chris Grayling is presiding over a rail catastrophe | Opinion ...
    www.constructionnews.co.uk/analysis/expert..
    Crossrail’s opening could be pushed back by almost a year as the scheme’s central section continues to struggle with rising costs and delays.
    Week in Review: A quick reminder that Chris Grayling is the ...
    www.politics.co.uk/.../01/week-in...chris-grayling-is-the-w

Chris Grayling makes Highways England report to parliament BASC welcomes government support for benefits of shooting At the Ministry of Justice he instituted a hardline regime which saw a ban on books being sent to prisoners.
    Probation services firm collapses after ‘disastrous’ Grayling ...
    www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/national/..
    And Unison, the UK’s largest union, called it “yet another catastrophe to be added to Chris Grayling’s growing record of failure”. Under Mr Grayling ...
    www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/national/...

And Unison, the UK’s largest union, called it “yet another catastrophe to be added to Chris Grayling’s growing record of failure”. Under Mr Grayling, ministers overhauled the arrangements ...
    Working Links, Dorset's private probation service provider www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17438192.working-links...

And Unison, the UK’s largest union, called it “yet another catastrophe to be added to Chris Grayling’s growing record of failure”. Under Mr Grayling, ministers overhauled the arrangements ...
    www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/probation...

A probation services provider has gone into administration after what union bosses called a “disastrous privatisation programme” under former justice secretary Chris Grayling.
    The disasters of Chris 'failing' Grayling are a symbol for ...
    inews.co.uk/opinion/chris-grayling-ferry...

The disastrous legacy of Chris ‘failing’ Grayling tells you all you need to know about politics today The transport secretary is a symbol of corrosive failure
    The Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP - GOV.UK
    www.gov.uk/government/people/chris-grayling

Chris Grayling was appointed as Secretary of State for Transport on 14 July 2016. He was elected Conservative MP for Epsom and Ewell in 2001. Chris served as Minister of State at the Department ...
    Chris Grayling - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Grayling

Tikay10 said:

^^^^

It's beyond belief, isn't it?

It's almost criminally negligent.

It is. Everything he touches...……………….
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606

If anyone is still reading this thread....a quick horse tip for you.

Brexitmeansbrexit , 3.35 - Lingfield @ 4/1 B)B)
    MAXALLY said:

If anyone is still reading this thread....a quick horse tip for you.

Brexitmeansbrexit , 3.35 - Lingfield @ 4/1 B)B)

Haysie believes that that is a non-runner :)