You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,058
    Minister approaches Independent Group of MPs as three more Tory MPs face no-confidence votes

Tory MPs Dame Caroline Spelman, Dominic Grieve and Mark Pawsey are facing no confidence motions

A senior Government minister has approached The Independent Group of MPs, it has emerged, as three more Conservative MPs face no confidence votes by their local parties which could end their political careers.
    The unnamed Minister of State wrote a letter to a senior member of the group saying they "agreed with everything you have done" opening the possibility of a hugely damaging defection away from the Conservative party.
    The fact that a serving minister wrote to the group demonstrates the level of trust with its key figures – and the disaffection felt by senior members of the Government over its Brexit policy.
    Separately, The Daily Telegraph can disclose that three Tory MPs Dame Caroline Spelman,...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/01/minister-approaches-independent-group-mps-three-tory-mps-face/
    Brexit news: Lawyers blow hole in plan for short extension favoured by May in order to pass her deal
    Article 50 extension to June illegal unless UK takes part in MEP elections at end of May, German parliament told

A Brexit delay of longer than two months could be illegal unless the UK elects new MEPs, lawyers are warning, appearing to torpedo Theresa May‘s strategy.
    Article 50 cannot be extended beyond the end of May unless the UK takes part in fresh European parliament elections, according to a legal opinion issued by the German Bundestag.

The conclusion came amid fresh evidence that the exit talks remain in trouble, with a lack of progress that might persuade MPs to approve the prime minister’s deal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-delay-article-50-theresa-may-european-parliament-meps-a8803546.html
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

DEAFENING silence when BBC QT audience asked if they agree with Labour MP Barry Gardiner
    THE BBC Question Time audience fell silent last night when Fiona Bruce asked them if they supported what Labour MP Barry Gardiner was saying.

Mr Gardiner was quizzed on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party and confessed it is absolutely unacceptable and that the party “should be for minority groups”. During his defence of Labour Party’s response to anti-Semitism, he highlighted that Jeremy Corbyn has taken the most active role in all of Parliament in fighting against racism. He added that he is confident in Labour’s process to kick anti-Semites out of the party.But the audience didn’t appear to agree with him.
    Host, Fiona Bruce, asked the audience if they supported what the Labour MP had said.
    The audience fell silent in response to the question and one person did eventually agree discussions around racism should also involve the right-wing.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1094113/bbc-question-time-latest-news-barry-gardiner-fiona-bruce-labour-party-antisemitism

Thought Barry Gardiner was very good on QT last night. He is a lot better on antisemitism than on Brexit (where he normally sounds like he doesn't believe a word he is saying).

The audience didn't seem to believe him. They did believe the Palestinian Liberal who said no-one should ever attack Israel. The same MP who calls for UK recognition of Palestine as an independent state. Who attacks the shift in US policy away from neutrality in the Middle East. I'm not saying she should or should not say such things, Just that many in Israel are rather more worried about (for example) the PLO than the British Labour Party. And that the attacks on Corbyn (as opposed to the Labour party) are primarily because he shares her views.

The Conservative person (born in Iraq, not the 1st choice for pro-Israel support) seemed confident that there are no problems in relation to race within his own party. Didn't seem to think it relevant that, when there are racist marches organised, it has been Corbyn and his supporters organising the protest march against racism. And seemed even more incoherent on Brexit than Labour (no mean feat, that).

I'm fascinated by your current stance, Haysie.

You continue to attack the Labour Party. Ignoring the fact that they are the only realistic chance of getting what you want. I stopped supporting them years ago. But shouldn't you start?
    I watched it in the end.

Was the German bloke really a comedian?

I thought that Barry Gardiner was at least misleading when talking about the Antisemitism row.

He started by making the point that since he started as leader, Corbyn has attempted to stop Antisemitism. He immediately went on to quote the numbers of complaints, that we used in our last discussion.

He maintained that this was the total number of complaints which referred to Labour Party members.

My view was that he inferred that the 673 complaints, were the total that had been received since Corbyn became leader in September 2015.

Yet we know that these complaints were received in 10 months last year.

We also know that this figure is thought to have been underestimated by a number of MPs.

The Labour Party have refused to disclose the number of previous complaints.

This figure does not refer to total number received in the full period of Corbyns leadership.

I think he was at best misleading, at worst lying on this topic.
    madprof said:

Haysie

In terms of importance to the country's economy, we need your contribution to the pie debate thread as well

I eat too many of them.
    I am also partial to a pasty.

I actually felt that Mrs May was trying to do an impossible job over Brexit. However in the light of her No "No Deal". I really dont care about her or any of the self serving politicos.

Every politician it would seem only wants Brexit on their terms and May had the chance to make them all work together by going for the No deal option.

Oh and before all you Europhiles cry Armageddon do you honestly think the EU wants no deal, of course they dont .

No Deal was the only REAL exit deal. Anything else IS NOT Brexit . Its a subjugated betrayal of British Democracy and has set a very dangerous precedent for any future election, referendum, or ballot.

Once we were an Empire ruled by an Emperor
    Then we were a Kingdom ruled by a King
    Now were a Country..........need I say more

The question was simple to leave or remain

The result was clear

The response of the M.P. s and Lords has been nothing short of a lie. They are not working to deliver on the result of the referendum. they are working to destabilise, weaken and destroy the result by finding back door ways to maintain ties.

No person who voted to leave the EU should ever again vote in any election. Democracy in Britain it would seem is flexible and history is rife with examples of what happens when people no longer trust the ballot box.

Rant over

Mark

Why do you think it was an impossible job?

Some MPs are in a difficult position.

How would you advise a Labour MP to vote on Brexit. He is obviously aware that the country voted to leave, lets say his constituency voted remain, party policy in their manifesto was to honour the referendum result, but is now to support another referendum?

The only people that seem to want no deal is Tim Martin, and the ERG.

Famous quotes of the leave campaign, we will have the same benefits after leaving as we have now, from David Davis, the Brexit Secretary at the time, and Liam Fox, the deal would be the easiest in human history, both of whom were very prominent leave campaigners.

I think Brexit is much more about the future than the past.

The problem is that there are a number of Brexit flavours, and the referendum provided no clarity.

Not sure what purpose not voting would serve?

What was your plan for the Irish border?

Bit of a turn around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VI5hLS8c8

Barry Gardiner attacks the idea of staying in the EU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNVtK6zyN04

Labour's Barry Gardiner ADMITS 2nd Brexit referendum bid is EMBARRASSING on BBC QT ! News
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,315

Seen on Twitter;

ooh, first of March! I can open the first window on my Brexit advent calendar!

*opens*

aww, it's a little picture of insulin shortages
    Lots of them just haven't a clue.

WATCH: No-deal Brexiteer James Delingpole hasn’t read the trade rules he’s calling for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPXm5VtxEOg
    edited March 2019
    Tikay10 said:

Seen on Twitter;

ooh, first of March! I can open the first window on my Brexit advent calendar!

*opens*

aww, it's a little picture of insulin shortages

NHS hospitals are preparing for shortages of medicines and staff, and to cancel or
    postpone operations in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a Sky News review of preparations has found.
    Freedom of Information disclosures and board papers published by more than 130 acute trusts in England reveal one hospital is considering increasing security at its pharmacy because of fears of break-ins, and another concerned about an exodus of Spanish nurses.
    The papers reveal widespread concern over the availability of medicines if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, and anxiety that hospital trusts have not had enough information from the Department of Health and NHS England to plan appropriately.
    Meanwhile the pharmaceutical industry has told Sky News the government should act to prevent medicine stockpiles being depleted by middle-men cashing in on a fall in the pound by selling no-deal supplies to European distributors.
    The Department of Health and Social Care has been leading planning for no deal for months and this week published new detail on the extent of stockpiling and plans to ensure import routes for medicines remain open.
    Health Secretary Matt Hancock said that "if everyone does what they are supposed to" he is confident that supply will remain uninterrupted.
    The board papers however reveal that his confidence is not shared by hospitals, who have a range of concerns over the impact of no deal.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sky-news-investigation-medicine-nursing-shortages-top-nhs-040000479.html
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,400
    I wish I could take credit for this one but @enut does- so I'm not worthy!

Context? My BEER thread

'English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, son of a silly person! ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!'

I always thought that was from Monty Python but it turns out to be Europe's Brexit negotiating slogan.

Enuf said Enut
    madprof said:

I wish I could take credit for this one but @enut does- so I'm not worthy!

Context? My BEER thread

'English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, son of a silly person! ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!'

I always thought that was from Monty Python but it turns out to be Europe's Brexit negotiating slogan.

Enuf said Enut

Seems fair enough.
    They seem to have it completely under control?

The Observer says it has seen internal emails showing that members of Labour's high command opposed recommendations to suspend several party activists accused of anti-Semitism.
    It says the correspondence, dating from March to May last year, covers a period immediately after Jeremy Corbyn vowed to have "zero tolerance for anti-Semites".
    A party source tells the paper the cases were a hangover from the previous process, which the general secretary, Jennie Formby, overhauled when she took up her post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47430855
    Brexit delay now unavoidable, says EU, as Andrea Leadsom and Jeremy Hunt warn of attempt to frustrate departure

A delay to Brexit is now unavoidable, even if MPs sign off a deal next week, the European Commission has suggested.
    In an interview with a Spanish newspaper, Michel Barnier, the EU's chief negotiator, indicated that a "technical" extension would be needed to implement a deal.
    His deputy, Sabine Weyand, later "liked" a tweet summarising his comments, in English, as "extension now inavoidable [sic] - will be granted".
    Mr Barnier's comments confirm the private view of a significant number of the Cabinet that a limited delay is now inevitable, after Theresa May agreed to put the option to MPs if she fails to win a majority for her deal by March 12.
    Mr Barnier also indicated that the Commission...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/02/brexit-delay-now-unavoidable-says-eu-andrea-leadsom-jeremy-hunt/
    Will the EHIC be valid after Brexit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972
    Bungling Corbyn set for ANOTHER revolt as 70 Labour MPs AGAINST second referendum
    JEREMY Corbyn is set for another Labour Party revolt as up to 70 MPs are set to vote against a second referendum on Brexit, claimed Labour MP Caroline Flint.

Up to 70 Labour MPs are against a second referendum, estimated former minister Caroline Flint. The Labour MP also urged Jeremy Corbyn to allow for a free vote on an improved Brexit deal. Speaking to Sky News’ Ridge on Sunday, Ms Flint said: “I think there is something like 60 or 70 Labour MPs who feel as strongly as I do against a second referendum. But also I think it's important to recognise that many of those MPs also feel that we have to move on.

“We have to stop a no-deal and if there's an improved offer on the table, then Labour should engage with that sincerely.”
    The Labour MP for Don Valley also urged: “My appeal to John McDonnell, to Jeremy Corbyn, to Keir Starmer, is allow MPs to have a free vote on an improved deal.
    "So those MPs who want a second referendum can vote for that but those of us who want to keep our promises to our electorate can also keep faith with those people and vote for an improved deal."

Coral’s Harry Aitkenhead said: “"Labour backing a second referendum has had a profound impact on our odds and the odds of another EU vote by the end of the year are now just 2-1.
    “A No Deal Brexit is now out to 4-1, a big drift from just 24 hours before, and there can no doubt that the opposition putting their name to calls for a second vote has mean the chances of the UK leaving with no deal are much less now.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1094969/brexit-news-second-referendum-labour-jeremy-corbyn-sky-news
  • MasoniReefMasoniReef Member Posts: 168
    Like i said Gina Miller set a precedent so delaying brexit will just bring Legal challenges against the government
    For its main story, the Daily Telegraph says it has been told that the Attorney General has abandoned attempts to secure a time limit or unilateral exit mechanism from the Irish backstop in his negotiations with the EU.
    According to the paper, ministers briefed on Geoffrey Cox's approach say the central demands of Eurosceptic MPs are considered too "blunt" and have been rejected by the EU.
    The Telegraph says some cabinet ministers are already resigned to Theresa May losing a second meaningful vote on her deal, amid concerns that changes to the backstop secured by Mr Cox in the continuing talks won't be enough to win over Brexiteers

The Financial Times reports that the chancellor, Philip Hammond, is set to receive a multi-billion-pound windfall for the public finances when he presents his spring statement next week - increasing the size of his promised Brexit "deal dividend" if MPs finally back the EU withdrawal agreement.
    The paper says Mr Hammond will have more headroom, thanks to buoyant income tax receipts, with self-assessment returns paid in January especially strong.
    However, the Financial Times adds, Mr Hammond will warn MPs that if they throw out the prime minister's deal again and allow a no-deal exit, they would be putting at risk billions of pounds of extra spending on schools, police and other public services.

The Guardian says a surge in Ukip membership is shifting the party decisively towards the far right, as long-standing moderates are replaced by entrants attracted by an anti-Islam agenda based on street protest.
    An investigation by the paper has found that membership has risen by about 50% over the 12 months from a low point a year ago, rapidly reshaping the party in the image of its leader, Gerard Batten, who has appointed the anti-Muslim activist, Tommy Robinson, as an adviser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47436547
    Maureen Lipman BLASTS Diane Abbott over anti-Semitism row – 'what is she doing there?'
    JEWISH actress Maureen Lipman launched a scathing attack on Labour Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott, labelling her the “Chris Grayling of the Labour Party”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1095093/labour-party-anti-semitism-row-diane-abbott-jeremy-corbyn-maureen-lipman-uk
    BREXIT LIVE: AG Geoffrey Cox abandons backstop changes as he's 'too blunt' for EU bosses
    THERESA May’s hopes of getting her Brexit deal through Parliament have suffered a major blow with plans to persuade Brussels to accept “legally-binding” changes to the Irish backstop in tatters.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1095246/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-irish-backstop-no-deal-meaningful-vote