You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Nigel Farage enjoys posh restaurant while Brexit marchers trudge through the mud
    The ex-Ukip leader lunched at posh Italian restaurant in Chelsea yesterday, where a Dover Sole costs £39 and the cheapest wine is £40 a bottle

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-enjoys-posh-restaurant-14202076

Shocking revelation from the Mirror ...hang him out to dry for having a decent meal in a nice restaurant . ;) Bit short on important news ?
    That is one view.
    Another view is that he heavily promoted a Brexit Betrayal march, turned up at the start, and then quickly disappeared.

It is a continuation of the billboard story, showing how hypocritical he is.

He's not retired , and an MEP. Do you not think he has other commitments?
    I would also suggest the above applies to all of those in work , and that combined with the fact it was a 2 week " gig" as opposed to a one day event (peoples march) explains a relatively low turn out.
    He just looks silly.
    Why get involved if he had prior commitments?
    Why organise it in the first place?
    A handful of people taking part was hardly impressive.
    Lets get some facts here ...Farage helped to organise it , it was actually a leave means leave baby .
    Despite his commitments he turned up at the start, and promptly disappeared.
    Leaving himself open to the ridicule of the billboards.
    Those that organised the billboards knew exactly what he would do.
    He didn't disappoint them.
    The object of a protest is to get publicity for your cause.
    You can decide for yourself which got the better publicity, the million people on the one day "put it to the people" march, or the handful of people, and the "Wheres Nigel" billboards, on the 2 week Brexit Betrayal march.

Nigels was poorly organised.
    Well would have been interesting to see how many the peoples march would have attracted if it had been a 2 week march . The money is on considerably less , for the reasons I have already given .

You must have missed it.

I usually answer question, it is you that don't.

No I didn't.
    Unlike Nigel Farage, I didn't say I was getting involved, then turn up for 10 minutes, before disappearing.
    You will note that there were no billboards erected to ridicule me.
    Show me where farage said he was going to/was able to do the whole march ? Just another pathetic attempt by remainers to discredit .
    Show me where he said he would turn up for 10 mins, and then disappear.

Headlines below.

Nigel Farage to lead 14-day march to protest against 'betrayal of Brexit'

Nigel Farage will lead a 280-mile march from Sunderland to London in protest against `betrayal of Brexit´
    Leave Means Leave campaign organising the protest which begins on March 16
    Mr Farage will lead march from Sunderland which is due in London on March 29
    Brexiteer Farage claimed the 'Westminster elite' are 'betraying British people'
    The march will visit towns including Hartlepool, Pontefract and Doncaster

Nigel Farage mocked at ‘Brexit Betrayal’ march with footage of him campaigning for disgraced Republican Roy Moore

Nigel Farage was mocked by anti-Brexit campaigners on Saturday after his speech was interrupted by footage of him endorsing Roy Moore, a failed and highly controversial US Senate candidate.
    The former UKIP leader was addressing pro-Brexit demonstrators at the March to Leave, which will see around 50 protesters walk from Sunderland to central London in 14 days.

The so-called “Brexit betrayal march” began on 16 March and protesters have been met throughout their route by Led by Donkeys, an anti-Brexit group determined to expose what they describe as Mr Farage’s ”hypocrisy”.

A huge nationwide pro-Brexit march led by Nigel Farage is to visit Doncaster. The Leave Means Leave campaign have announced details of a nationwide march from Sunderland to London which will arrive in the capital on March 29 – the day Britain is due to leave the EU.

Nigel Farage launches two-week nationwide 'Brexit Betrayal' march
    Protest will see marchers travel from Sunderland to London in time for Brexit day

Nigel Farage is to launch a nationwide march of angry Brexiteers, who will spend two weeks crossing the country to express their fury at Theresa May's "Brexit betrayal".
    The event, organised by the Leave by Leave campaign, will see activists march from Sunderland and London between 16 and 29 March.

It will culminate in a rally in Parliament Square on the day Britain is due to leave the EU.

The "Brexit Betrayal" march will be led by Mr Farage, the former Ukip leader, and will see protesters pass through towns including Hartlepool, Pontefract, Doncaster and Wellingborough.
    And he did lead it , nothing in that nonsense about him committing to doing the whole march .

He lead it for 10 minutes.
    So what if it was 10 mins , 30 or 2 hours ? I asked you to show me where he committed to doing the whole march and you can't .
    It's got no relevance to the debacle that happened yesterday.
    His definition of leadership is different from mine.

You just seem very keen to defend him, when he is being ridiculed by all and sundry.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Nigel Farage enjoys posh restaurant while Brexit marchers trudge through the mud
    The ex-Ukip leader lunched at posh Italian restaurant in Chelsea yesterday, where a Dover Sole costs £39 and the cheapest wine is £40 a bottle

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-enjoys-posh-restaurant-14202076

Shocking revelation from the Mirror ...hang him out to dry for having a decent meal in a nice restaurant . ;) Bit short on important news ?
    That is one view.
    Another view is that he heavily promoted a Brexit Betrayal march, turned up at the start, and then quickly disappeared.

I would also suggest the above applies to all of those in work , and that combined with the fact it was a 2 week " gig" as opposed to a one day event (peoples march) explains a relatively low turn out.
    He just looks silly.
    Lets get some facts here ...Farage helped to organise it , it was actually a leave means leave baby .
    You can decide for yourself which got the better publicity, the million people on the one day "put it to the people" march, or the handful of people, and the "Wheres Nigel" billboards, on the 2 week Brexit Betrayal march.

Well would have been interesting to see how many the peoples march would have attracted if it had been a 2 week march . The money is on considerably less , for the reasons I have already given .

You must have missed it.

No I didn't.
    Unlike Nigel Farage, I didn't say I was getting involved, then turn up for 10 minutes, before disappearing.
    Show me where farage said he was going to/was able to do the whole march ? Just another pathetic attempt by remainers to discredit .

Headlines below.

Nigel Farage will lead a 280-mile march from Sunderland to London in protest against `betrayal of Brexit´

Nigel Farage mocked at ‘Brexit Betrayal’ march with footage of him campaigning for disgraced Republican Roy Moore

Nigel Farage was mocked by anti-Brexit campaigners on Saturday after his speech was interrupted by footage of him endorsing Roy Moore, a failed and highly controversial US Senate candidate.
    The former UKIP leader was addressing pro-Brexit demonstrators at the March to Leave, which will see around 50 protesters walk from Sunderland to central London in 14 days.

The so-called “Brexit betrayal march” began on 16 March and protesters have been met throughout their route by Led by Donkeys, an anti-Brexit group determined to expose what they describe as Mr Farage’s ”hypocrisy”.

A huge nationwide pro-Brexit march led by Nigel Farage is to visit Doncaster. The Leave Means Leave campaign have announced details of a nationwide march from Sunderland to London which will arrive in the capital on March 29 – the day Britain is due to leave the EU.

Protest will see marchers travel from Sunderland to London in time for Brexit day

Nigel Farage is to launch a nationwide march of angry Brexiteers, who will spend two weeks crossing the country to express their fury at Theresa May's "Brexit betrayal".
    The event, organised by the Leave by Leave campaign, will see activists march from Sunderland and London between 16 and 29 March.

It will culminate in a rally in Parliament Square on the day Britain is due to leave the EU.

The "Brexit Betrayal" march will be led by Mr Farage, the former Ukip leader, and will see protesters pass through towns including Hartlepool, Pontefract, Doncaster and Wellingborough.
    And he did lead it , nothing in that nonsense about him committing to doing the whole march .

So what if it was 10 mins , 30 or 2 hours ? I asked you to show me where he committed to doing the whole march and you can't .
    Why do you think it was a debacle?
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

That is one view.

He just looks silly.

You must have missed it.

No I didn't.

Headlines below.

You just seem very keen to defend him, when he is being ridiculed by all and sundry.
    Nope , but what I am keen to highlight is the ridiculous campaigns by various remainers , focusing on individuals rather than Brexit itself. Standard for your mob though .
    I got to say , I think that this thread and your posts would probably do a very good job for recruiting people who are in two minds, over to the leave side.
    edited March 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

That is one view.

He just looks silly.

You must have missed it.

No I didn't.

Headlines below.

Why do you think it wasn't ? Do you think it was a good result/outcome?
    Do you think politicians who changed their minds about voting for her deal , simply because it was the least worst alternative , isn't a debacle ? Or perhaps May presenting basically the same deal over and over isn't a debacle?
    3 years down the line and these monkeys provide us with another groundhog day .
    Leaving with no deal is now a real possibility, how can remainers celebrate that ?
    edited March 2019

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

That is one view.

He just looks silly.

You must have missed it.

No I didn't.

Headlines below.

Nope , but what I am keen to highlight is the ridiculous campaigns by various remainers , focusing on individuals rather than Brexit itself. Standard for your mob though .
    I got to say , I think that this thread and your posts would probably do a very good job for recruiting people who are in two minds, over to the leave side.
    I must admit that I am not alone in thinking that Nigel Farage is a d1ck.
    I don't think that this opinion is restricted to one side of the argument.
    I have no intention of recruiting anyone, for anything.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

That is one view.

He just looks silly.

You must have missed it.

No I didn't.

Headlines below.

Why do you think it wasn't ? Do you think it was a good result/outcome?
    Do you think politicians who changed their minds about voting for her deal , simply because it was the least worst alternative , isn't a debacle ? Or perhaps May presenting basically the same deal over and over isn't a debacle?
    3 years down the line and these monkeys provide us with another groundhog day .
    Leaving with no deal is now a real possibility, how can remainers celebrate that ?
    I think it was totally expected.

I am not sure why anyone would have expected a different outcome taking into account the previous two votes.

I don't think that you can judge all MPs in the same way, some maintained that they changed their minds based on what is best for the country.

The fact that we seem to be left with what has been described as the worst of all worlds, as the only method by which we can leave, just probably sums up Brexit.

The fact that she will be back next week for a fourth vote is democratic, but a second referendum isn't, seems odd.

The remainers wont let a no deal happen, despite many leavers being in favour of it.

I am not sure why anyone would have expected a different outcome taking into account the previous two votes.

I don't think that you can judge all MPs in the same way, some maintained that they changed their minds based on what is best for the country.

The fact that we seem to be left with what has been described as the worst of all worlds, as the only method by which we can leave, just probably sums up Brexit.

The fact that she will be back next week for a fourth vote is democratic, but a second referendum isn't, seems odd.

The remainers wont let a no deal happen, despite many leavers being in favour of it.

In order of highlighted parts .

That nonsense wouldn't get through as the softest bluff ...it's so transparent that the majority of politicians aren't voting for the good of the country , but their own agendas .
    you would have to be reading in braille not to see it .

It doesn't sum up Brexit at all , it sums up the bunch of numpty politicians we have in this country .

Nothing odd about it , the 4th vote on something that isn't going to pass is just stupidity / a debacle ...choose the word you want . Offering another referendum vote is undemocratic , simple . We can go around in circles why it is /isn't , but I don't intend to .

The remainers don't control the process , so stop fantasising .
    Waiting patiently for you to tell us all why you don't think the whole thing is a debacle and if you are happy now the deal has been rejected for the 3rd time and there is a real chance of no deal ?

In order of highlighted parts .

That nonsense wouldn't get through as the softest bluff ...it's so transparent that the majority of politicians aren't voting for the good of the country , but their own agendas .
    you would have to be reading in braille not to see it .

It doesn't sum up Brexit at all , it sums up the bunch of numpty politicians we have in this country .

Nothing odd about it , the 4th vote on something that isn't going to pass is just stupidity / a debacle ...choose the word you want . Offering another referendum vote is undemocratic , simple . We can go around in circles why it is /isn't , but I don't intend to .

The remainers don't control the process , so stop fantasising .

You seem to have a very simplistic view of the whole thing.

I think you can say that politicians are voting in a particular way for many different reasons.

Many that are against the Withdrawal Agreement, have changed their mind in their words, to honour the referendum result, others have changed their minds to avoid no deal, and some because nothing better is available.

Others like the DUP, and some Tories will not vote in favour because they believe it jeopardises the Union.

I also agree with some of them that to vote for a Blind Brexit may prove to be stupid.

I am not sure that the Tories can be trusted.

The Political Declaration has now been separated from the Withdrawal Agreement, that doesn't make a huge difference because it wasn't legally binding anyway.

There is a fear among MPs that they could vote with the Government in the spirit of honouring the referendum, and Boris Johnson comes along as the new Tory leader, rips it up and does what he wants.

There is not a lot of trust going on at the moment.

The whole mess does sum up Brexit.

To say the remainers don't control the process is downright silly as 75% of the current MPs are remainers.

The only thing that has been proved to have a majority in Parliament is that no deal is not acceptable, and therefore wont happen.

Parliament currently seems unable to vote in favour of anything.

There are too many options.

Brexit was never going to be as simple as the leave side made out.

Parliament seems to be focusing on the different types of deals that could be negotiated, yet they will all require the Withdrawal Agreement to be passed.

What do you believe the solution is?

Waiting patiently for you to tell us all why you don't think the whole thing is a debacle and if you are happy now the deal has been rejected for the 3rd time and there is a real chance of no deal ?

I am assuming you do realise that the Tories do not have an overall majority.
    They are completely reliant on the DUP to give them a majority to pass any legislation.
    They also have to rely on the ERG to vote with them.
    Unless they get both on their side, they cant pass anything.
    The DUP, and the hardline ERG members are both against this bill.
    The Labour Party seem to be promoting, their own deal, second referendum, or a General Election, depending on who you talk to.
    The one thing that they seem agreed on is that they are not voting for this bill.
    All the smaller opposition parties including TIG are in favour of another referendum, and none of them will therefore support this bill.

Any ideas?

Are you saying that if they consider it to be a bad deal, they should still vote for it?

'Brexit has frustrated itself!' Remainer Grieve fires back at Brexiteer 'conspiracists'
    REMAINER Tory MP Dominic Grieve has refused to back down after he lost a vote of no-confidence by local Conservatives - and instead targeted Brexiteer campaigners for spreading “conspiracy theories”.

“This conspiracy theory that people are conspiring to prevent it simply flies in the face of reality.
    “The reason why the Prime Minister hasn’t been able to get her deal through parliament is because Brexiteers and Remainers can see that it points to a second-rate relationship with Europe and as a future as a country.
    “Some of my ERG colleagues have even admitted that they would prefer to remain than agree to this deal.
    “There isn’t a deal that would achieve the form of Brexit that is better than where we are at this moment.

“My solution is to go back and ask the people. I am not prepared to drag people out of the EU into a future which they don’t want.
    “Just 14 percent support May’s deal. Can we find another deal that people would be more comfortable with? I am prepared to do that.
    “But I am not prepared to sign off this country’s future and drag this country to a destination that on the face of it, people do not want.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1107554/Dominic-Grieve-Brexit-News-No-Confidence-Brexiteer
    Boris Johnson and Michael Gove under fire on Vote Leave’s law-breaking

Conservative leadership candidates Boris Johnson and Michael Gove are facing growing calls to account for illegal behaviour by the official Vote Leave Brexit campaign.
    The group has dropped its appeal against the Electoral Commission’s ruling that it broke the law by channelling hundreds of thousands of pounds of donations to an ostensibly independent campaign group, BeLeave.
    When the Observer revealed evidence a year ago that Vote Leave had broken spending rules, Johnson attacked the report on Twitter as “utterly ludicrous” and said it had “won … legally”. A Johnson adviser said on Saturday that the former foreign secretary would not comment on the end of the appeal.
    Labour deputy leader Tom Watson called on Johnson to recognise the campaign acted illegally. “I’m sure the man who seeks to be your prime minister will acknowledge … Vote Leave broke the law,” he said on Twitter.
    Gove has previously said the appeal prevented him from commenting on the ruling, but his office did not respond to a request for a comment now the legal process has ended.

Anna Soubry, the former Tory MP who joined the Independent Group, called for a full explanation from both men, and dismissed the claim the appeal had been dropped for financial reasons.
    “The one thing we do know, all these people have access to considerable amounts of money, so to say they are dropping it for lack of funds is absolutely ludicrous,” she said.
    “Johnson and Gove should be providing a full and proper explanation to the British people following the dropping of this appeal.” She added she expected to one day see a “public inquiry into what happened and how we got into this terrible mess”.
    Gove and Johnson played key roles in Vote Leave, Gove as co-convener and Johnson as a figurehead for the official Brexit campaign. A series of other senior government or Tory figures also sat on its committee, including Liam Fox, Iain Duncan Smith, former Brexit secretary Dominic Raab and the former international development secretary Priti Patel.
    Labour MP David Lammy called for an update on a police investigation into the campaign. The commission has shared its files with the police to investigate if any other offences had been committed outside its remit.

“There are profound questions for our democracy about whether senior cabinet ministers are now above the law. The Metropolitan police and National Crime Agency need to act urgently to update the public on the extent and breadth of their investigation,” he said. “It’s also deeply worrying that the political establishment seems mute on law-breaking at the highest level.”

There has been no government response to the appeal being dropped and little media coverage. And while national broadcasters and newspapers gave prime coverage to Vote Leave chief executive Matthew Elliot when he launched an aggressive media campaign against the watchdog’s initial findings, few covered the decision to to end the appeals process in any depth.
    After the announcement, whistleblower Shahmir Sanni, who was outed by a member of Theresa May’s team, lost his job and was vilified as a fantasist after his revelations about Vote Leave’s spending, said: “The [end of the appeal] feels extremely vindicating, but the way the media has responded to it has been extremely disappointing. The only excuse they had is that they were appealing. Now we know they broke the law, they need to be held to account.”
    Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran said the confirmation that Vote Leave had broken the law underlined the need for a second referendum.
    “It is now incumbent on the government to act. We have heard minister after minister say the referendum is valid. This is proof it was not,” she said. “Going ahead with Brexit in these circumstances would be the biggest betrayal of our democracy of all.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/boris-johnson-and-michael-gove-under-fire-on-vote-leaves-law-breaking/ar-BBVqAQP?ocid=spartandhp
    Fearing Brexit, protesters gather along Irish border

CARRICKCARNON, Ireland (Reuters) - Anti-Brexit campaigners protested at six different points of the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland on Saturday, fearing a return of customs checks could risk peace, jobs and their way of life.
    The currently seamless 500 km (350 mile) border would be the United Kingdom's only land frontier with the EU after Brexit and the question of how it is kept open has become a major hurdle in efforts to ensure the UK quits the bloc in an orderly fashion.

Organisers estimated more than 1,000 locals gathered from the northwest village of Bridgend to Carrickcarnon on the east coast, two of the more than 200 crossings that some 30,000 people cross each day for work.
    "People are very concerned, they voted to remain (in the EU) here," said John Sheridan, a farmer from the Border Communities Against Brexit group who led the protest in the Northern Ireland border village of Belcoo. "We feel like we're going to be left behind again and have a border imposed on us."

The group also held a candle-lit vigil across the border in the Irish village of Kiltyclogher at 2300 GMT on Friday, when Britain had been scheduled to leave the EU until its departure was extended by at least two weeks.
    It has held other protests since the 2016 Brexit referendum and again erected mock customs checkpoints on Saturday, to demonstrate the disruption they could cause and the resistance their return would meet.
    Britain, Ireland and the EU all say they want to avoid physical checks on the border, which was marked by military checkpoints before a 1998 peace deal ended three decades of violence costing around 3,600 lives.
    But the backstop or insurance mechanism negotiated to exclude such checks has been resisted by some British lawmakers, who have on three occasions voted down the divorce deal negotiated by Prime Minister Theresa May.

Ireland's European Affairs Minister Helen McEntee said on Saturday it would be very difficult to achieve the Irish government's twin aims of keeping the border open and maintaining the integrity of the EU's single market, if Britain leaves the bloc without a deal.

But we are absolutely determined to do that," McEntee told national broadcaster RTE. "We have always had the support of the EU and I don't see that changing."
    (Writing by Padraic Halpin; Editing by David Holmes)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/fearing-brexit-protesters-gather-along-irish-border/ar-BBVqTKk?ocid=spartandhp
    HAYSIE said:

Are you saying that if they consider it to be a bad deal, they should still vote for it?
    That's exactly what some of them did do .

HAYSIE said:

That's exactly what some of them did do .
    So in your view is that right or wrong?

Tory in-fighting over Brexit is a common theme in this week's Sunday papers.
    The Sunday Times says Theresa May's cabinet is close to collapse over what to do next.
    The prime minister's aides, it says, are at loggerheads over whether to accept a soft Brexit - if backed by Parliament in Monday's "indicative votes" - or call a general election this week.
    According to the Mail on Sunday, the decision about whether to trigger an election has plunged Downing Street "into civil war".
    A poll for the paper gives the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn a five-point lead over the Conservatives - leading the paper's pollster to say that a snap election would be a 'kamikaze' move by Mrs May.
    The Foreign Office minister, Alan Duncan, has told the Observer that a general election before Brexit is resolved "would only make things worse".
    The Sunday Telegraph says that senior ministers have virtually given up any hope of the Democratic Unionist Party supporting Mrs May's deal, which means she faces a growing likelihood that Parliament will force her into seeking a soft Brexit, if backbenchers can agree a plan.
    The Sunday Mirror argues that a permanent customs union is the best way forward.

But the Sunday Express says this will keep the UK trapped under Brussels' rule permanently - without a say. MPs, it says, have to leave Wonderland and start facing reality.
    The Sun on Sunday warns that Brexiteers are in danger of losing everything they have fought for.
    It says a fourth defeat in the Commons for Mrs May's deal will have devastating consequences and it accuses Tory MPs such as Priti Patel, Owen Paterson, Sir Bernard Jenkin and Suella Braverman of being prepared to play "Russian roulette with the future of the country" rather than ditch what it calls their ideological purity.
    Who will be the next Tory leader?
    As many papers speculate about who will join the race to replace Mrs May as prime minister - Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Sajid Javid and Andrea Leadsom are just some of those named - former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab sets out his pitch for tackling knife crime in a piece for the Sunday Telegraph.

He says he would use tough and targeted law enforcement - including increased use of stop and search - with a commitment to prevention within communities.
    Cabinet minister Liz Truss tells The Sunday Times if she were leader she would use money saved by Brexit to fund tax cuts for businesses and young people, while Justine Greening tells the paper she would be tempted to enter the race to ensure the Tories bring a modern approach and equality of opportunity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47763034
    I heard a quote in the week, which was,

If there was an apocalypse, all that would be left on earth would be cockroaches, and Tory leadership candidates.