You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2019
    Tikay10 said:

^^^ and your starter for 10 .... Who had the comedy catchphrase " I'll have half" and which sit com from the 70's was it ?

There's only you, HAYSIE & me here who are old enough to remember 70's sitcoms.

It gets worse , we can even go back a previous decade as well :(:'(
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    Tikay10 said:

^^^ and your starter for 10 .... Who had the comedy catchphrase " I'll have half" and which sit com from the 70's was it ?

Love thy neighbour.
    You could never get away with it today.
    It was quite funny because that was Jackos standard response to hearing his name mentioned.

Remembering his lines was no serious challenge.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Tikay10 said:

Ugh.

It gets wore than that for me, I can manage the decade before that.

edited March 2019
    Tikay10 said:

Tikay10 said:

Ugh.

It gets wore than that for me, I can manage the decade before that.

Likewise , but I didn't really pay much attention to sitcoms whilst at primary school :D

Interestingly , and no wish to derail the thread , but just googled sitcoms from the 60's and come up with some old classics , I had forgotten all about ...gas and gaiters , with the brilliant Derek Nimmo for one . "Never mind the quality" , was a fav of mine as well. " nearest and dearest " another one .
    Brexit coins and cancelled parties: What is happening on 29 March now?

The UK is no longer leaving the EU on 29 March.
    Brexit day has been postponed - to exactly when remains uncertain.
    But where does that leave the parties, merchandise and TV specials planned to mark the occasion?
    Special 50p coin
    The government had promised a commemorative 50p coin to mark the UK's departure from the EU.
    The original design, announced in October, featured the phrase "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations", as well as the date of 29 March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47712530
    Tikay10 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTC3hK9wiHA
    UK car production slumps 15% as industry makes plea to avert no-deal Brexit

UK car production fell by 15.3 per cent in the year to February, the ninth consecutive month of falls. Manufacturers built 123,203 cars in the UK over 12 months, down from 145,518 a year ago, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said.
    Declining demand in the UK and in key European and Asian export markets has hit carmakers hard, while continued uncertainty around Brexit is hurting investment in the sector.
    Mike Hawes, SMMT chief executive, said the figures should provide additional impetus for MPs to avert a hard Brexit.
    “The ninth month of decline for UK car production should be a wake-up call for anyone who thinks this industry, already challenged by international trade hostilities, declining markets and technological disruption, could survive a ‘no deal’ Brexit without serious damage,” he said.
    “A managed no deal is a fantasy

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-car-production-slumps-15-065012453.html
    Brexit vote news LIVE: MPs vote on part of Theresa May's deal as Prime Minister battles to break deadlock

Theresa May has lost a meaningful vote on her Brexit deal for the third time, as MPs rejected it on Friday afternoon by a majority of 58.
    The Prime Minister had split the legally binding treaty segment of her plans from the declaration on future relations with the EU in order to ensure MPs could vote on it later today.
    But she faced an uphill struggle as key Government allies the DUP joined Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn in saying they would vote against the move.
    Ahead of the voting, thousands of pro-Brexit supporters arrived at Parliament to make their voices heard.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-vote-news-live-mps-vote-on-part-of-theresa-mays-deal-as-prime-minister-battles-to-break-deadlock/ar-BBVn8XP?ocid=spartandhp
    Remain protesters definitely have better spelling on their banners than leavers.
    Brexit: MPs challenged over vote - BBC Newsnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dM-lxTgQ6U
    If any remainers were hoping this would happen today , then the phrase "be careful what you wish for " comes to mind .
    Todays debacle pushes us closer to a no deal reality .

If any remainers were hoping this would happen today , then the phrase "be careful what you wish for " comes to mind .

Don't think so, and not much blood spilled today.

Saturday's front pages are dominated by what the Daily Mail describes as the previous day's "Brexit betrayal".
    The latest rejection of Theresa May's deal has left the country in "political paralysis", it says.
    "Brexit: mission unaccomplished," is the headline in the i, while the Guardian describes the sense of "stunned disbelief" in Parliament in the aftermath of the vote.
    The Sun meanwhile focuses on the MPs who cast their ballots against the deal, telling them it's "Brexsick of the lot of you".

The Daily Express devotes its front page to a picture of protestors in Parliament Square who, it says, were expressing a "dignified fury".
    What should have been a celebration of leaving the EU had turned into anger at the political class for failing to enact their wishes, the paper says.
    The Financial Times agrees the country is facing "political chaos, crisis and humiliation". But it says some of the blame has to be shared by the "false prospectus" peddled by the Leave campaign.
    "Exiting the EU was never going to be quick and easy," it says.

There's plenty of analysis of what might happen next, and the Guardian's Jonathan Freedland is brutal in his assessment.
    "There is no deader horse in the kingdom than the Brexit deal brokered by Theresa May," it says. "Flogged and flogged again, it expired for a third time on the floor of the House of Commons."
    The Times isn't so sure. It reports that Downing Street is drawing up plans for "one final attempt" to get Mrs May's deal through parliament, in a run-off against whatever option might emerge from further indicative votes.
    Online, the HuffPost UK agrees that Mrs May still has some road left. "Her whole strategy has been based on an assumption that MPs will only jam on the brakes once the car gets right up to the cliff-edge."

The Daily Telegraph, meanwhile, reports that cabinet ministers will attempt to take control of the process - and will next week tell the PM it is time to "embrace no deal".
    The Spectator suggests that the chances of a lengthy delay to Brexit have "increased substantially", while the Sun says a general election is now more likely.
    It would be an opportunity to "chuck out" the "cynical, dishonest, game-playing charlatans" who are blocking Brexit, the paper says.
    The Daily Mirror, meanwhile, suggests it would "open up the Tories to a well-deserved hammering".
    However, the Mail sounds a note of caution by pointing out though that elections analyst Sir John Curtice says polls currently suggest there would be a hung parliament - and no end to the deadlock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47756308
    Dominic Grieve HUMILIATED after grassroots Tories vote to deselect him for Brexit betrayal
    DOMINIC GRIEVE suffered further humiliation after his local Conservative association approved a no-confidence vote in him.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1107421/Brexit-news-latest-dominic-grieve-beaconsfield-conservative-association-buckinghamshire

Mrs May warned that the UK will now almost certainly have to take part in May’s elections for the European Parliament under a lengthy Brexit delay.

Defiantly vowing to try once again to win a majority for her deal, she added: “This Government will continue to press the case for the orderly Brexit that the result of the referendum demands.”

Solicitor general Robert Buckland said: "The prospect of no Brexit is becoming a very real one indeed."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1107336/brexit-news-theresa-may-brexit-deal-parliament-vote-house-of-commons-eu-exit
    DUP is prepared for Brexit to be cancelled altogether as party says it would rather stay in the EU than risk Northern Ireland’s position in the UK
    Deputy leader Nigel Dodds said it was prepared for Brexit cancellation last night
    All ten DUP MPs voted against deal, despite rumours they would swing round
    Mr Dodds said PM must challenge EU on amending backstop in agreement

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6866497/DUP-threatens-CANCEL-Brexit-party-says-stay-EU.html
    How will the EU react as Theresa May prepares to ask for a nine-month Brexit extension

Theresa May has tumbled to defeat yet again, despite the EU setting out the consequences of that choice in the clearest possible manner. The door to an orderly exit by May 22 following the passage of the Withdrawal Agreement is now officially closed.
    Given the scale of the defeat, we are therefore onto the next stage, which was announced by Donald Tusk, the European Council president, who will convene an emergency EU leaders meeting on April 10 in order to ascertain the next steps.
    That is two days before the April 12 deadline, but in practice, say senior EU diplomatic sources, the real deadline for British decisions is a week on Monday (the 8th) in order to give time to circulate paperwork around...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/30/will-eu-react-theresa-may-prepares-ask-nine-month-brexit-extension/
    edited March 2019
    May hopes to hold fourth vote on Brexit deal
    Election also on the cards after MPs reject withdrawal agreement by 58 votes

Theresa May hopes to bring her Brexit deal back to parliament again next week after it was rejected for a third time by MPs – and appears poised to trigger a general election if parliament fails to agree a way forward.

May hints at possible need for election, saying MPs 'reaching limits' of Brexit process - as it happened

Despite the embattled prime minister’s dramatic promise on Wednesday that she would hand over the keys to 10 Downing Street if her Tory colleagues backed the withdrawal agreement, parliament voted against it on Friday, by 344 to 286.
    The Commons vote was held on the day when Britain was meant to be leaving the European Union, as Parliament Square outside overflowed with raucous pro-Brexit protesters.
    A string of leave-supporting Conservative backbenchers who had twice rejected the deal, including Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and former Brexit secretary Dominic Raab, switched sides to support the agreement. But with Labour unwilling to shift its position, and the Democratic Unionist party’s 10 MPs implacably opposed, it was not enough to secure a majority for May

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/29/mps-reject-theresa-mays-brexit-deal-third-time

Tory MP Mark Francois says he has a message for all the “euromaniacs” on the Today programme.
    “Up yours..”