You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Whatever is said, it clearly wasn't a good idea.
    The people of Wales voted to leave, despite the fact that Wales received £650million per year from the EU,
    Who says Wales will be worse off post Brexit ...obviously you are bound to ..but lets have some facts to back that up .

http://www.assembly.wales/laid documents/cr-ld11748/cr-ld11748-e.pdf
    Do you think that losing £650 million per year is a good think then?
    The article on Cornwall that you posted was pretty clear.
    Wales has received considerable levels of EU funding, mainly through Structural
    Funds which were designed to address poverty and reduce regional disparities;
    and through the Common Agricultural Policy.
    The UK Government has announced that Structural Funds will be replaced by a
    UK Shared Prosperity Fund,

I wouldn't necessarily trust the Government, and they haven't said that the funds will be matched.
    They haven't said they won't either , so it's speculation that Wales will be worse off.
    After 2020, Wales will no longer be eligible for EU funds and it will have to be seen whether comparable regional aid money comes from the UK government. In February 2017, Plaid Cymru tabled an amendment to the Brexit Bill seeking assurances about future funding which wasn't backed by the Conservatives, leading to accusations that promises Wales wouldn’t lose funding had effectively been broken.
    The UK government has set up a "shared prosperity fund", with the aim of going at least some way to replacing EU money and reducing inequalities across the four UK nations. But in September 2018, Theresa May declined to answer whether the Welsh Government will control that fund.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/how-much-money-wales-gets-12765100
    I know all this ....so your point is ?
    The strategy for replacing that funding can be found in the link , I provided you earlier .
    Come back after Brexit , if you are short and we will have another discussion about it :D
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,377

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

The people of Wales voted to leave, despite the fact that Wales received £650million per year from the EU,
    Who says Wales will be worse off post Brexit ...obviously you are bound to ..but lets have some facts to back that up .

I wouldn't necessarily trust the Government, and they haven't said that the funds will be matched.
    They haven't said they won't either , so it's speculation that Wales will be worse off.
    After 2020, Wales will no longer be eligible for EU funds and it will have to be seen whether comparable regional aid money comes from the UK government. In February 2017, Plaid Cymru tabled an amendment to the Brexit Bill seeking assurances about future funding which wasn't backed by the Conservatives, leading to accusations that promises Wales wouldn’t lose funding had effectively been broken.
    The UK government has set up a "shared prosperity fund", with the aim of going at least some way to replacing EU money and reducing inequalities across the four UK nations. But in September 2018, Theresa May declined to answer whether the Welsh Government will control that fund.

The strategy for replacing that funding can be found in the link , I provided you earlier .
    Come back after Brexit , if you are short and we will have another discussion about it :D
    Mrs May is very clear on it.

In an interview by BBC Wales on 30 September, the Prime Minister, Rt Hon Theresa May MP, was asked about the level of funding and devolution of the UK-wide Shared Prosperity Fund that Wales could expect after Brexit.
    In relation to whether Wales would receive as much funding as it currently does through EU Structural Funds, she said that:

The point of the shared prosperity fund is that we will be looking at issues of disparities between the nations of the UK – disparities within nations and regions and deciding expenditure of money so that we are ensuring that money is being spent as effectively as possible to deliver for people.

The Prime Minister was also asked about the level of control of the UK-wide Shared Prosperity Fund that the Welsh Government would have.
    She highlighted that a lot of discussion is taking place about how the fund will be structured, commenting that:

I fully recognise the role that the Welsh Government has played and the role that the Welsh Government has played in decisions for Wales. But obviously as we look at the shared prosperity fund across the whole of the UK we want to ensure that we get the right structure and the right processes involved in that so that the money that is being spent is being spent as effectively as possible because it’s about delivering for people on the ground.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

In an interview by BBC Wales on 30 September, the Prime Minister, Rt Hon Theresa May MP, was asked about the level of funding and devolution of the UK-wide Shared Prosperity Fund that Wales could expect after Brexit.
    In relation to whether Wales would receive as much funding as it currently does through EU Structural Funds, she said that:

The point of the shared prosperity fund is that we will be looking at issues of disparities between the nations of the UK – disparities within nations and regions and deciding expenditure of money so that we are ensuring that money is being spent as effectively as possible to deliver for people.

The Prime Minister was also asked about the level of control of the UK-wide Shared Prosperity Fund that the Welsh Government would have.
    She highlighted that a lot of discussion is taking place about how the fund will be structured, commenting that:

I fully recognise the role that the Welsh Government has played and the role that the Welsh Government has played in decisions for Wales. But obviously as we look at the shared prosperity fund across the whole of the UK we want to ensure that we get the right structure and the right processes involved in that so that the money that is being spent is being spent as effectively as possible because it’s about delivering for people on the ground.
    So It's in discussion how the fund will be structured ...sounds reasonable to me what she said . See how it pans out .
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

So It's in discussion how the fund will be structured ...sounds reasonable to me what she said . See how it pans out .
    Generally if you ask a politician a question like are you going to match the EU funds, and they intend to, they will say yes. If they don't intend to, they will obfuscate rather than say no.
    So I would interpret her answer as a no they are not.
    Of course I could be wrong.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Now we are in trouble. Her and Jeremy Corbyn sitting down to sort it out, is probably much worse than no deal.
    Cabinet resignations?

The first one just left, Nigel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Generally if you ask a politician a question like are you going to match the EU funds, and they intend to, they will say yes. If they don't intend to, they will obfuscate rather than say no.
    Well that's your interpretation ...what I would say is , that if the shared prosperity fund is going to equal the 2.4 billion then it is right and fair that money is distributed fairly with the bulk going to places that need it more.
    There is absolutely no suggestion that won't happen and I'm not sure why you would expect her to answer the question of amounts, until a plan for distribution had been finalised after much consultation.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Well that's your interpretation ...what I would say is , that if the shared prosperity fund is going to equal the 24 billion then it is right and fair that money is distributed fairly with the bulk going to places that need it more.
    There is absolutely no suggestion that won't happen and I'm not sure why you would expect her to answer the question of amounts, until a plan for distribution had been finalised after much consultation.

£24 billion?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Well that's your interpretation ...what I would say is , that if the shared prosperity fund is going to equal the 24 billion then it is right and fair that money is distributed fairly with the bulk going to places that need it more.

£24 billion?
    Ha , missed the decimal point out ...2.4 billion
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

£24 billion?
    Ha , missed the decimal point out ...2.4 billion
    So where does the funding come from?
    Treasury figures show that the EU was expected to have provided £4.4 billion, or €5.7 billion, in public sector receipts to the UK in 2015.
    This money comes mainly from several large funding programmes: the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund, European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), European Social Fund and European Regional Development Fund.

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-much-do-regions-uk-receive-eu-funding/
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The UK Shared Prosperity Fund should at least match the £2.4 billion a year that currently flows to communities across the UK as a result of EU Structural Funds.
    It must be additional to existing local growth funding and provide certainty for investment by using long-term funding cycles

The UK shared prosperity fund is aimed at replacing these funds using money returned from the EU

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/designing-shared-prosperity-fund
  • Options

The UK Shared Prosperity Fund should at least match the £2.4 billion a year that currently flows to communities across the UK as a result of EU Structural Funds.
    It must be additional to existing local growth funding and provide certainty for investment by using long-term funding cycles

The UK shared prosperity fund is aimed at replacing these funds using money returned from the EU

According the above post the funds returned in 2015 were £4.4 billion, and have probably increased since, so the figure you quoted represents about half.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

According the above post the funds returned in 2015 were £4.4 billion, and have probably increased since, so the figure you quoted represents about half.
    The figure I have quoted refers specifically to the EU structural funds .
    As to how they replace any other funding , I suggest you ask your local mp .
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,354
    HAYSIE said:

In terms of replacement/transition funding as and when we leave- yes, regretfully we probably will still leave- its helpful to get real eg of what will change, rather than political spin

My mate,a sheep farmer gets an annual EU subsidy of over £30k paid in Euros so he was happy when the £ was weak, voted leave because of the bureaucracy...coincidentally his annual rent was £30k so he operated from a start point of break even...currently he has had no indication that there will be any fund from the UK to replace this subsidy( He was
    confident that there would be a replacement fund). He doesn't make money from his farm..lives from year to year and exists....Can you guess which way he will now vote, if we were to get a 2nd referendum, with some of the FACTS about leaving now known
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

The figure I have quoted refers specifically to the EU structural funds .
    As to how they replace any other funding , I suggest you ask your local mp .
    Another bus is needed.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The UK government plans to introduce a seven-year transition period for farmers’ funding from 2021, during which direct payments from the state will be reduced and tied more closely to delivering environmental and other “public” goods.

The Environmental Land Management scheme will replace EU basic farm payments, which are based on the amount of land farmed, under which farmers who provide the greatest environmental benefit will receive the largest amount of public money.

Details of the scheme, to be unveiled in Wednesday’s Agriculture Bill, will be given in a policy document due later this week. The scheme will be developed and tested by 2025, when it is expected to be fully implemented.

Michael Gove, the environment secretary, said Brexit provided an opportunity to no longer be tied to “burdensome and outdated” rules, and would allow the UK government to reward farmers who protected the environment.

The government had already guaranteed that it would replace EU subsidies to farmers until the end of this parliament, which falls due in 2022. Direct and indirect subsidies are worth £3bn a year.

Under the new scheme, farm payments would be based, among other measures, on improving air or water quality, habitats for wildlife, preventing climate change or protecting historic features. It would value these according to the “natural capital” approach pioneered by Dieter Helm, who chairs the Natural Capital Committee, an independent advisory body. It seeks to apply a financial value to non-financial outcomes such as clean air and the protection of wildlife habitats.

Paul McNamee of Greener UK, an environmental coalition, said “putting public benefits at the heart of a new agriculture system is a huge step in the right direction, offering the UK a chance to restore the natural environment while producing food more sustainably.

Mr Gove said the current EU Common Agricultural Policy was ineffective and skewed towards the largest landowners. Under the scheme 10 per cent of the recipients receive almost half the money while the 20 per cent of farmers with the smallest holdings receive only 2 per cent of the money.

Defra said direct payments would be made on the same basis in 2019 and 2020 as now, but that from 2021 they would be gradually phased out. It said that, to help new entrants into the sector, payments from 2021 to 2027 would be “delinked” from the requirement to farm the land.

“These payments . . . can be used by farmers to invest in their business, diversify their activities or else retire from farming and give way for new people to enter,” Defra said.

Bolded parts addressing anecdotal nonsense .

• Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

In terms of replacement/transition funding as and when we leave- yes, regretfully we probably will still leave- its helpful to get real eg of what will change, rather than political spin

My mate,a sheep farmer gets an annual EU subsidy of over £30k paid in Euros so he was happy when the £ was weak, voted leave because of the bureaucracy...coincidentally his annual rent was £30k so he operated from a start point of break even...currently he has had no indication that there will be any fund from the UK to replace this subsidy( He was
    confident that there would be a replacement fund). He doesn't make money from his farm..lives from year to year and exists....Can you guess which way he will now vote, if we were to get a 2nd referendum, with some of the FACTS about leaving now known
    The figure on the bus was our gross EU contribution.

The net figure is around half.

The gross figure has now been allocated to the NHS.

That means we have already allocated double our EU contributions.

In addition to this they have to come up with the funds to replace those that the EU gave to the regions, farmers etc.

Also the divorce bill is equal to around 4 years contributions, without including a further £1billion per month for a long extension.

More austerity?
  • Options

The UK government plans to introduce a seven-year transition period for farmers’ funding from 2021, during which direct payments from the state will be reduced and tied more closely to delivering environmental and other “public” goods.

The Environmental Land Management scheme will replace EU basic farm payments, which are based on the amount of land farmed, under which farmers who provide the greatest environmental benefit will receive the largest amount of public money.

Details of the scheme, to be unveiled in Wednesday’s Agriculture Bill, will be given in a policy document due later this week. The scheme will be developed and tested by 2025, when it is expected to be fully implemented.

Michael Gove, the environment secretary, said Brexit provided an opportunity to no longer be tied to “burdensome and outdated” rules, and would allow the UK government to reward farmers who protected the environment.

The government had already guaranteed that it would replace EU subsidies to farmers until the end of this parliament, which falls due in 2022. Direct and indirect subsidies are worth £3bn a year.

Under the new scheme, farm payments would be based, among other measures, on improving air or water quality, habitats for wildlife, preventing climate change or protecting historic features. It would value these according to the “natural capital” approach pioneered by Dieter Helm, who chairs the Natural Capital Committee, an independent advisory body. It seeks to apply a financial value to non-financial outcomes such as clean air and the protection of wildlife habitats.

Paul McNamee of Greener UK, an environmental coalition, said “putting public benefits at the heart of a new agriculture system is a huge step in the right direction, offering the UK a chance to restore the natural environment while producing food more sustainably.

Mr Gove said the current EU Common Agricultural Policy was ineffective and skewed towards the largest landowners. Under the scheme 10 per cent of the recipients receive almost half the money while the 20 per cent of farmers with the smallest holdings receive only 2 per cent of the money.

Defra said direct payments would be made on the same basis in 2019 and 2020 as now, but that from 2021 they would be gradually phased out. It said that, to help new entrants into the sector, payments from 2021 to 2027 would be “delinked” from the requirement to farm the land.

“These payments . . . can be used by farmers to invest in their business, diversify their activities or else retire from farming and give way for new people to enter,” Defra said.

You wonder why successive Governments would not have addressed this.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HAYSIE said:

Hands tied I would suggest . My understanding is the present EU subsidy system is generally paid on a per acre basis .
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Hands tied I would suggest . The present EU subsidy system is paid on a per acre basis .
    The most influential members have always been the UK, France and Germany. We have been members for around 45 years. I know little about farming or the applicable subsidies. We should not gain any satisfaction from pointing out the deficiencies of a system that we have put up with for many years.