You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    HAYSIE said:

PKRPar said:

some poker chat this. ;)

One of the major advantages of living in a democratic country, even after leaving the EU, means that nobody will be able to force you read or get involved in a thread that you have no interest in.
    Didn't say it wasn't interesting, just that it wasn't poker related :)
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,831
    PKRPar said:

HAYSIE said:

PKRPar said:

some poker chat this. ;)

One of the major advantages of living in a democratic country, even after leaving the EU, means that nobody will be able to force you read or get involved in a thread that you have no interest in.
    Well spotted.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

HAYSIE said:

The obvious point is that stores selling for example, Swedish furniture in this country do create many thousands jobs, as do Japanese car manufacturers. Any adverse changes to the conditions of trade in regard to either that was caused by Brexit may result in the loss of those jobs.
    The quote that started the thread is clear.
    The question is that how could any Brexiteer know what they voted for when 2 years later, we still don't know what it is going to be?
    We could crash out with no deal.
    We could just remain in the Customs Union, and get a trade deal.
    We could just remain in the single market. and have a technical border arrangement.
    We could just get a trade deal, and a new customs arrangement.
    We could stay in the Customs Union and the single market.
    We could negotiate a new Customs partnership,
    There are more options.
    Which one did you vote for?
    What was your plan for the Irish border?
    As a remain voter I know exactly what I voted for.

Those are all very good points and probably more workable than whatever the Brexit team are trying to negotiate at the moment BUT any deal or arrangement has to be in OUR favour and OUR benefit, before any other consideration.

Unfortunately the welfare of Britain has never been a EU priority. Had it been so or had those tasked with minding our affairs within the EU grown a pair every so often instead of being cowed into trade offs then the whole debacle wouldn't have raised its head.

I'm not going to post any more on the subject after this Haysie but I would like to thank you for the spirited debate and for the fact that you never got personal.

However when the likes of hhyftrftdr and dragon1964 start with the snidey oneliners whilst failing to contribute then its time to call it a day. I'd love a battle of wits with them but I fear they're unarmed.

I suppose I've not been very successful in trying to get across my reasons for voting leave but hey at least I had the balls to front up and try eh? and at the end of the day despite what many reamainers think, for me it wasn't about trade, the customs union, freedom of travel, quotas, quangos or even immigration it was simply the fact that I resented the British Government being dictated to by a bunch of Suits in Brussels.

The British Government also shoulders the responsibility for the current situation so I suggest that your angst be directed at them. The first rule of an election or a referendum should be, if you're not sure of the right result don't call it until you are and then, you'd better be right.

In signing off I offer a caveat. We were around trading etc for 1,000 years before the EU. Trust me life will go on after we leave. IF we ever leave.

Yours in debate

Mark

Nothing ''snidey'' about it at all.

If you're gonna say something as ridiculous as that then you better expect to be called out for it.

''I don't care what problems the result may cause''......absolutely incredible.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    edited May 2018

Nothing ''snidey'' about it at all.

If you're gonna say something as ridiculous as that then you better expect to be called out for it.

''I don't care what problems the result may cause''......absolutely incredible.

Hhy-sometimes you are really helpful. On other times you are very funny.

On this occasion you took a sentence, took it out of context, and lampooned it. Not clever, sorry.

Mark-I disagree with almost everything you say on this thread. However, you have argued your side eloquently, and please continue to post on this subject if you wish.
    How was it taken out of context?
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985

You know fine well. Try reading his paragraph above that one. He was saying that all people voted on was whether to be in or out of the EU. People tended to leave other issues to politicians-not surprising when (with the surprising exception of Gordon Brown) everyone seemed to avoid the issues or tell outrageous lies.

If you want someone who truly appeared not to care about the effects of the result, you could start with David Cameron-a PM who failed to campaign for what he believed in purely through fear of the 1922 Committee. Need to start "having some backbone" lessons at Eton.
    PKRPar said:

HAYSIE said:

PKRPar said:

some poker chat this. ;)

Well spotted.
    Essexphil said:

You know fine well. Try reading his paragraph above that one. He was saying that all people voted on was whether to be in or out of the EU. People tended to leave other issues to politicians-not surprising when (with the surprising exception of Gordon Brown) everyone seemed to avoid the issues or tell outrageous lies.

If you want someone who truly appeared not to care about the effects of the result, you could start with David Cameron-a PM who failed to campaign for what he believed in purely through fear of the 1922 Committee. Need to start "having some backbone" lessons at Eton.
    Good point, many politicians are short of a backbone.
    Essexphil said:

And then followed it up by stating he didn't care what problems the result may cause.

Absolutely nothing has been taken out of context. It's all there in black and white.

Reminded me of an interview I saw in the aftermath of the result. An older person was so overjoyed that leave had 'won' that he said he wasn't fussed that it could effect the future employment prospects of his children and grandchildren (leave was having a direct impact on his sons career).

You couldn't make this tripe up, but at least we got our country back.
    It only seems to get better.
    The latest customs plan, which has already been dismissed by the EU as unworkable, is according to HMRC going to cost around £20 billion per year.
    That is almost double our net contribution to the EU.
    So the result is likely to be less trade, less jobs, less money flowing, more hassle, at double the cost of being members.
    Where is the NHS money on the bus coming from now?
    Seems like a well thought out plan.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,465
    If your Hearts not in it how can I fix it.

The EU has just passed a law that could end the problems with free movement which led to Brexit in the first place

Yesterday the European parliament passed a new law that will end the conflation of free movement of people with the undercutting of local workers by EU migrants.
    During the 2016 EU referendum campaign, the issue of free movement was front and centre. Remember all those people saying how eastern European workers would come to the UK and work for less, meaning they couldn’t get jobs in their own towns? The EU has finally addressed this issue.
    goldon said:

If your Hearts not in it how can I fix it.

May is "Remain" voter Her heart is not in Brexit if it was, we wouldn't be two years down the line treading water. bring back hanging for penguins
    If the UK cave in now then the EU would have field day ...... we need to leave to show strength then negotiate better re-entry if that what the majority wish. flag that !
    goldon said:

If the UK cave in now then the EU would have field day ...... we need to leave to show strength then negotiate better re-entry if that what the majority wish. flag that !

I don't think a career in politics beckons.

goldon said:

I don't think a career in politics beckons.
    What you say ! I can lie cheat fake my expenses have three homes paid by tax payer take chopper rides to meetings have all the relation on the staff. I'm fully qualified big time. You're french detective wanting to be back in EU bully boy club.
    Could it get more hypocritical than Lord Lawson, the chairman of the Vote Leave Campaign, applying for French residency?
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    How’s our “ Special relationship which we will get great deals post Brexit with USA “ going ?
    Tariffs on Steel and Aluminium imposed by Mr Trump start today.
    We got our country back innit.
    Fair Trade ..... cough! "Clouseau" telling me I'll be rubbish at Politics tut!
    People voted for "Trump" "Boris" "Screaming Lord Sutch" why would they not vote for

"THE PERFECT PARTY"
    goldon said:

Fair Trade ..... cough! "Clouseau" telling me I'll be rubbish at Politics tut!
    People voted for "Trump" "Boris" "Screaming Lord Sutch" why would they not vote for

"THE PERFECT PARTY"

This is Planet Earth.
    You have convinced me that there is life on other planets.
    As much as I have tried to understand, or make sense of your posts, I have completely failed.
    I can only conclude that they are for the benefit of those living on some other planet.
    tomgoodun said:

How’s our “ Special relationship which we will get great deals post Brexit with USA “ going ?
    Tariffs on Steel and Aluminium imposed by Mr Trump start today.
    We got our country back innit.

No doubt our intrepid International Trade Minister will be commenting on this today. The man who stupidly said that a post Brexit free trade deal with the EU should be the "easiest in human history"
    You would think that he could have been fired after making this comment and showing just how deluded he is.
    Many people said it was about getting our country back innit, but where did it go? Or who took it?
    The country that we get back innit, will not be as good as the country we had before.