You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    walesboywalesboy Member Posts: 993
    I must admit I was very shocked when the result came in. I felt both sides didn't really present their arguments very well at all. I was hoping for information to assist me in deciding on the direction of the company I help direct. My Swiss bosses were so surprised they called me at silly am!! We've been delaying decisions now as we've no idea as to the likely impact on the business as we trade with Europe and USA. It is very frustrating. I can't see this being good for the UK at the moment as I have no faith in the people negotiating for us. The EU have no interest in giving us a good deal as it will then dissuade other countries from leaving. Our Government haven't even started investing in the increased Customs staff and infrastructure we will need, so it'll be chaos. I hope I'm wrong and somehow they'll make a decision to give certainty, but I'm not holding my breath
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,968
    walesboy said:

I must admit I was very shocked when the result came in. I felt both sides didn't really present their arguments very well at all. I was hoping for information to assist me in deciding on the direction of the company I help direct. My Swiss bosses were so surprised they called me at silly am!! We've been delaying decisions now as we've no idea as to the likely impact on the business as we trade with Europe and USA. It is very frustrating. I can't see this being good for the UK at the moment as I have no faith in the people negotiating for us. The EU have no interest in giving us a good deal as it will then dissuade other countries from leaving. Our Government haven't even started investing in the increased Customs staff and infrastructure we will need, so it'll be chaos. I hope I'm wrong and somehow they'll make a decision to give certainty, but I'm not holding my breath

I think you would be deluded if you were holding your breath.
  • Options
    Enut said:

I think basing any comments on the views of people on Love Island is doing the great British public a huge disservice isn't it? Please God it is and that the majority of the UK Public have more common sense than those on any reality 'game show'.

I think we also need to consider that the UK economy is due a slow down anyway, simply because it is 9 years since the last market downturn and a 9 year bull market is quite long. To quote a very knowledgeable fund manager 'we think the markets could correct in a year to 18 months time, which will coincide almost exactly with Brexit, it will be nothing to do with Brexit but of course it will be blamed on it, as will anything else that goes wrong.'

We were the fastest growing economy in the G7, now we are the slowest. We are one of the slowest in Europe. The £ has slumped.
    Yet some of the markets are at the highest ever levels.
    Leaving will mean less trade, less jobs, and higher costs, because we have left, and have nothing to do with the markets.
    The only explanation for leave winning the vote is that many thousand of Love Islanders must have voted in favour of leave, to save out trees.
    I cant for the life of me think of any other reason.
  • Options
    walesboywalesboy Member Posts: 993
    :D I think you're right there Haysie
  • Options
    walesboy said:

:D I think you're right there Haysie

Don't share that with Mr Kendall.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Would any business owner voluntarily choose to reduce their turnover, reduce their profits, lay off some workers, and double their running costs.
    They would probably be committed if they did.

In fact, if you owned a business and employed a manager to run it for you, and he suggested the above as a business plan for next year, you would have to fire him.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Theresa May announced over the weekend that the Brexit Dividend would be funding the £384million per week that she intends to invest in the NHS.
    This figure is slightly more than the £350million that was advertised on the side of the vote leave bus.
    Since the announcement every political commentator, and every newspaper, has stated that there will not be a Brexit dividend during the next five years, if ever.
    Its like one of those silly good news, bad news jokes.
    The good news is that the NHS will get their money as advertised.
    The bad news being, we as tax payers will foot the bill through increased taxes.
    This surely betrays those who voted to leave the EU, after being influenced by the bus, and makes Theresa May a bare faced liar.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-the-nhs-funding-boost-is-not-a-brexit-dividend
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I suppose the question you must ask is,
    If the advertisement on the side of the bus had been accurate, would it have affected the referendum result.
    If the ad had said, AN EXTRA £350MILLION PER WEEK TO THE NHS, WHETHER WE LEAVE OR REMAIN, FUNDED BY AN INCREASE IN TAXES ON THE ELECTORATE.
    The NHS was going to need the money either way.
    Maybe those Brexiteers that are not keen on paying more tax would have voted to remain.
  • Options
    I listened to the Prime Minister on the weekend bigging up the way Brexit talks have gone so far.
    I am not sure what planet she is on.
    In phase one of the talks, we had to agree on the divorce bill, the Irish border, and EU citizens rights.
    It seems that we have agreed the bill, EU citizens are not happy with what they have been offered, and the Irish border can has just been kicked down the road.
    So all we have really accomplished so far is to agree the bill.
    How could it take so long to accomplish so little?
    On this basis it how long will it take to get a trade deal?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,489
    Rome was not built in a day ....... what have they ever done of the EU.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Rome was not built in a day ....... what have they ever done of the EU.

They will probably understand this, somewhere else in the universe.
  • Options
    "Star Tracking" it's the only place to go..........you're frustrated remain from " Croydon."
  • Options
    There is a Boris article in the paper today,saying that he doesn't want a soft "bog roll Brexit", does that mean he is finally admitting that we will be in the sh it after we leave?
  • Options
    The Prime Ministers new Brexit plan was unanimously supported and agreed to at Chequers. Well it was unanimous except for Boris Johnson, and David Davies.
  • Options
    It was a cunning Plan.
  • Options
    The Daily Politics programme on the telly yesterday was comical. It included two Brexiteers arguing like cat and dog over the merits of the Governments Chequers proposal, whilst maintaining the illusion that everyone knew what they were voting for in the referendum.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HAYSIE said:

The Daily Politics programme on the telly yesterday was comical. It included two Brexiteers arguing like cat and dog over the merits of the Governments Chequers proposal, whilst maintaining the illusion that everyone knew what they were voting for in the referendum.

Was looking forward to today's. Priti Patel (gorgeous woman, horrible politics) and Chuka Umunna (competent, but a bit of a wet week) seemed to agree on a surprising amount of things-if those 2 can agree on anything, hope for us all yet.

PS-Johnson would take us back to the 19th Century, but Rees-Mogg would take us back to feudal times. Even Corbyn is starting to look like a moderate...
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I am a Chuka fan.
    I am also a fan of another referendum with a choice of whatever deal she gets, or staying in.
    At least everyone one would then know exactly what they were voting for.
    She could then just be left to get the best deal she can get with no interference.
    This seems to be heading towards a Brexit that absolutely nobody is going to be happy with.
    Boris just cares about Boris.
    They showed an old interview the other day that Jacob Rees-Mogg did with the BBC. He sent them a threatening letter because they didn't pay him. He was demanding £18 from them. He was about 12 at the time, but he looked exactly the same as he looks today.
    His kids just look like a smaller version of him.
    I am certain he went to school with Charles Dickens.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-reesmogg-threatened-to-sue-the-bbc-as-a-12yearold-schoolboy-financier-for-not-paying-him-for-a3825106.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6389790/jacob-rees-mogg-turns-up-for-interview-with-his-lookalike-11-year-old-son-peter/
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    There should quite clearly be another, final vote, once the exit terms have been agreed.

Then the public can decide, with actual information, what they want to do/what they think is best for the country; stay, leave with agreed terms, leave without a deal.

It would be madness not to (its already madness anyway that leave 'won')
  • Options
    Undoubtedly the best option.