You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750

Dobiesdraw, you're planning on going to the beach this weekend if the weather is nice. No one knows what the weather is going to be like in 5 days time, but you'd like to get a heads up if its going to be ok or not ok so you can plan accordingly.

What do you do?

Irrelevant , because I'm already at the beach .( I don't believe that there will be a 2nd referendum ,) I can listen to all sides of the argument , but the horse has bolted . Michael fish 1987 !
    Ok, so you don't want to answer cos it'll show you and your thought process up.

No worries.
    The question is laughable it really doesn't merit an answer . You must be skyping with tomgoodun !
    Hmm, twice in one afternoon you have answered others referring to me, you seem fixated on me, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am happily married.

Re-Topic of Brexit, My earlier post was actually asking what you have been harping on about ( an opposing view to remain)

I have so far not seen or read any people giving detailed reasons for doing so, all I have seen/read is people such as yourself questioning the merits of remain ( which, thanks to Haysie have been published here)

All I ask is what are the merits for leave, how will it ( theoretically) affect jobs, trade,Borders, etc etc, it seems the stock answer is “ Don’t listen to project fear”, ok if we are not to listen please give the alternative., “ We don’t know what will happen” isn’t a great reason to oppose remain.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    tomgoodun said:

Dobiesdraw, you're planning on going to the beach this weekend if the weather is nice. No one knows what the weather is going to be like in 5 days time, but you'd like to get a heads up if its going to be ok or not ok so you can plan accordingly.

What do you do?

Irrelevant , because I'm already at the beach .( I don't believe that there will be a 2nd referendum ,) I can listen to all sides of the argument , but the horse has bolted . Michael fish 1987 !
    Ok, so you don't want to answer cos it'll show you and your thought process up.

No worries.
    The question is laughable it really doesn't merit an answer . You must be skyping with tomgoodun !
    Hmm, twice in one afternoon you have answered others referring to me, you seem fixated on me, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am happily married.

Re-Topic of Brexit, My earlier post was actually asking what you have been harping on about ( an opposing view to remain)

I have so far not seen or read any people giving detailed reasons for doing so, all I have seen/read is people such as yourself questioning the merits of remain ( which, thanks to Haysie have been published here)

All I ask is what are the merits for leave, how will it ( theoretically) affect jobs, trade,Borders, etc etc, it seems the stock answer is “ Don’t listen to project fear”, ok if we are not to listen please give the alternative., “ We don’t know what will happen” isn’t a great reason to oppose remain.
    You really do love making things up and attempting to give people the wrong impression ....You do seriously need to learn how to read properly ! At no point have I ever questioned the merits of remain or for that matter leave , if you can't point out where I have , then desist from telling lies !
    Apologies, “ Questioning the merits” was, perhaps , the wrong terminology.
    Maybe finding flaws in the reasoning? Questioning the “facts”? Pointing out errors?

You seem more than happy to do ^ to Haysies posts, but as far as I’m aware you haven’t questioned anything about the Leave campaign, maybe because there is no strong argument for leaving?

Either way, there hasn’t, to my knowledge been any detailed reasoning behind the “ We are better off out” I’m curious as to how better off we will be, perhaps someone could enlighten me, and as to why those who ran the campaign are busying themselves getting German and Irish Passports.

On the subject of lies, I guess the big red bus was a tad misleading to say the least..
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,037

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Lets help you out here , you said to me "The fact of the matter is no one really knows what it's going to be like in the U.K. post brexit . and I responded with the comment , that I wasn't suggesting anything (prove otherwise ! ) and you need to brush up on your reading skills . . But you already know this and are being typically obtuse as indeed you are with the shout comment . Quite right as well with my chatbox comment , it's evident for everyone to see in this thread and others ..still not in the same league as calling people morons though is it ?

This is what you said

The fact of the matter is no one really knows what it's going to be like in the U.K. post brexit .

This was my response.

Are you seriously suggesting that the immediate loss of 65 trade deals, some of our Single Market access, and the inability to do our own free trade deals for years to come, will improve our economy..
    Exactly ! Long time since I got an O level in English , but don't see anything in my post where I'm suggesting anything . Just stating a fact that no one really knows what it's going to be like post brexit , one of the main reasons being we don't know exactly what sort of deal is going to be brokered . If you need me to explain the clearly typed word any further just ask .

Whatever the deal looks like, this will still apply,

Are you seriously suggesting that the immediate loss of 65 trade deals, some of our Single Market access, and the inability to do our own free trade deals for years to come, will improve our economy.

So on that basis you surely cant be saying that you think we will be better off?
    Let me try once more.
    These are facts.
    We currently have full access to The Single Market. In the future irrespective of the deal, we will have less access.
    I think you must assume that less access can only mean less trade.
    We will lose access to trade deals with 65 countries that we currently have access to. One would assume that this would mean less trade.
    During the years that we spend negotiating the deal we will have Customs Union access which will stop us signing any new trade deals.
    I am not sure that it is possible to think that these measures could possibly make us at all better off.

A common sense view will be that we will be worse off, but in the long term who knows.

There have been flying pigs, and unicorns associated with Brexit.
    For " common sense " read : Haysies view. Who knows in the long term , is exactly what i've said ..thankyou !

I am just going to ignore your little digs, I am only saying what I believe to be true.
    The projections that the Government have produced show that every form of Brexit leaves us worse off.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg, the head Brexiteer wrote a recent article that speculated that it may take 50 years, before we are any better off. I hope those that voted to leave can wait that long.

However some things are facts.
    The Government has enacted Article 50, which means we will leave the EU in March next year.
    As a non member we will be unable to access the EU trade deals with the 65 other countries.
    The EU has stated categorically that we cannot have the same access to the Single Market, as non members. Assuming we could then it would encourage every other country to leave and the EU would fall apart.
    We will be spending the next few years in the Customs Union, either in Transition, or the Backstop, and unable to sign our own trade deals, while we negotiate the new deal.

So if the UK was a company that traded in Europe, and the rest of the world. The outlook would be as follows.

We have lost some customers in Europe, we have lost all our customers throughout the rest of the world that we gained from the EU, and will be unable to get new ones for a number of years.

Assuming we were a responsible company we would be giving a profits warning to our shareholders, as it would be impossible to see our turnover, and profits, doing anything other than falling under these circumstances.

This is based on current facts, not speculation, and are not conditional on any particular deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2018/jul/24/two-50-or-100-years-when-do-leavers-think-brexit-will-pay-off

Jacob Rees-Mogg says the benefits of leaving the EU may not be felt for 50 years – and he’s not the only Eurosceptic asking the people of Britain to wait patiently
    edited November 2018
    tomgoodun said:

Maybe finding flaws in the reasoning? Questioning the “facts”? Pointing out errors?

You seem more than happy to do ^ to Haysies posts, but as far as I’m aware you haven’t questioned anything about the Leave campaign, maybe because there is no strong argument for leaving?

Either way, there hasn’t, to my knowledge been any detailed reasoning behind the “ We are better off out” I’m curious as to how better off we will be, perhaps someone could enlighten me, and as to why those who ran the campaign are busying themselves getting German and Irish Passports.

On the subject of lies, I guess the big red bus was a tad misleading to say the least..

Obviously you are little slow on the uptake , so I will try again ...I'm not questioning the merits of remain or leave, as I have already stated , I didn't vote because I couldnt make up my mind . What I am questioning is the accuracy of Haysies one sided rhetoric and conveniently found media supposition , that supports his stance . Get it now ?
    Philip Hammond: Brexit will leave UK economy worse off

All forms of Brexit will make the UK worse off but Theresa May's plan is the best available, says Philip Hammond.

The Treasury will set out various scenarios - with the Daily Telegraph saying it will predict £150bn in lost output over 15 years under no deal, with Theresa May's plan costing £40bn

Under any scenario, in a "purely economic sense" the UK will be worse off than if it stayed in the EU, as exiting will created "impediments to our trade", said the chancellor.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the Treasury analysis will show that under Mrs May's deal, the UK's GDP will be between 1% and 2% lower over 15 years than if it stayed in the EU, compared with 7.5% lower under a no deal situation

The UK sells nearly £1bn of fish produce to the EU every year, and a number of EU countries are insisting that tariff-free trade of that kind can continue only if EU fishing boats continue to get access to UK waters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46366162
    Meanwhile, a row is brewing after the Labour party demanded the government publish its full legal advice on the Brexit deal this week.
    The government has only said it will publish a "full reasoned position statement" laying its out political and legal position on the withdrawal agreement.
    BBC Newsnight political editor Nick Watt said a source says the full advice provides a "very stark warning" that there is no way the UK, on its own, would be able to get out of the so-called Northern Ireland backstop.
    The backstop - the plan to create a temporary single customs territory to prevent the return of customs posts at the Irish border in the event no EU-UK trade deal comes into force - is controversial because Brexiteers fear it would keep the UK tied to EU rules indefinitely.

No-deal Brexit will deliver 'catastrophic' blow to British auto industry, warn businesses in new survey

The “catastrophic” impact of a no-deal Brexit on the UK’s car industry has been laid out in a new survey which found that three quarters of companies in the sector fear a no-deal Brexit will hurt them.
    Less than 7 per cent said leaving the EU with no agreement in March would be beneficial.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/no-deal-brexit-deliver-apos-083442962.html
    Just 5% of oil and gas firms think Brexit will have positive effect, survey says

Only 5% of oil and gas companies think Brexit will have a positive impact on the UK Continental Shelf, according to a new survey.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/just-5-oil-gas-firms-084551160.html

tomgoodun said:

Obviously you are little slow on the uptake , so I will try again ...I'm not questioning the merits of remain or leave, as I have already stated , I didn't vote because I couldnt make up my mind . What I am questioning is the accuracy of Haysies one sided rhetoric and conveniently found media supposition , that supports his stance . Get it now ?
    You did read my post pretty much saying that^ did you?
    Aww, there’s a certain cute childlike quality to your Treat em mean and keep em keen philosophy, did you pull the pigtails of the girls you fancied at school ?
    Meanwhile over in the good old US of A

Donald Trump has suggested Theresa May's Brexit agreement could threaten a US-UK trade deal.

The US president told reporters the withdrawal agreement "sounds like a great deal for the EU" and meant the UK might not be able to trade with the US.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Lets help you out here , you said to me "The fact of the matter is no one really knows what it's going to be like in the U.K. post brexit . and I responded with the comment , that I wasn't suggesting anything (prove otherwise ! ) and you need to brush up on your reading skills . . But you already know this and are being typically obtuse as indeed you are with the shout comment . Quite right as well with my chatbox comment , it's evident for everyone to see in this thread and others ..still not in the same league as calling people morons though is it ?

This is what you said

The fact of the matter is no one really knows what it's going to be like in the U.K. post brexit .

This was my response.

Are you seriously suggesting that the immediate loss of 65 trade deals, some of our Single Market access, and the inability to do our own free trade deals for years to come, will improve our economy..
    Exactly ! Long time since I got an O level in English , but don't see anything in my post where I'm suggesting anything . Just stating a fact that no one really knows what it's going to be like post brexit , one of the main reasons being we don't know exactly what sort of deal is going to be brokered . If you need me to explain the clearly typed word any further just ask .

Whatever the deal looks like, this will still apply,

Are you seriously suggesting that the immediate loss of 65 trade deals, some of our Single Market access, and the inability to do our own free trade deals for years to come, will improve our economy.

So on that basis you surely cant be saying that you think we will be better off?
    Let me try once more.
    These are facts.
    We currently have full access to The Single Market. In the future irrespective of the deal, we will have less access.
    I think you must assume that less access can only mean less trade.
    We will lose access to trade deals with 65 countries that we currently have access to. One would assume that this would mean less trade.
    During the years that we spend negotiating the deal we will have Customs Union access which will stop us signing any new trade deals.
    I am not sure that it is possible to think that these measures could possibly make us at all better off.

A common sense view will be that we will be worse off, but in the long term who knows.

There have been flying pigs, and unicorns associated with Brexit.
    For " common sense " read : Haysies view. Who knows in the long term , is exactly what i've said ..thankyou !

I am just going to ignore your little digs, I am only saying what I believe to be true.
    The projections that the Government have produced show that every form of Brexit leaves us worse off.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg, the head Brexiteer wrote a recent article that speculated that it may take 50 years, before we are any better off. I hope those that voted to leave can wait that long.

However some things are facts.
    The Government has enacted Article 50, which means we will leave the EU in March next year.
    As a non member we will be unable to access the EU trade deals with the 65 other countries.
    The EU has stated categorically that we cannot have the same access to the Single Market, as non members. Assuming we could then it would encourage every other country to leave and the EU would fall apart.
    We will be spending the next few years in the Customs Union, either in Transition, or the Backstop, and unable to sign our own trade deals, while we negotiate the new deal.

So if the UK was a company that traded in Europe, and the rest of the world. The outlook would be as follows.

We have lost some customers in Europe, we have lost all our customers throughout the rest of the world that we gained from the EU, and will be unable to get new ones for a number of years.

Assuming we were a responsible company we would be giving a profits warning to our shareholders, as it would be impossible to see our turnover, and profits, doing anything other than falling under these circumstances.

This is based on current facts, not speculation, and are not conditional on any particular deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2018/jul/24/two-50-or-100-years-when-do-leavers-think-brexit-will-pay-off

Jacob Rees-Mogg says the benefits of leaving the EU may not be felt for 50 years – and he’s not the only Eurosceptic asking the people of Britain to wait patiently
    HAYSIE said:

No-deal Brexit will deliver 'catastrophic' blow to British auto industry, warn businesses in new survey

The “catastrophic” impact of a no-deal Brexit on the UK’s car industry has been laid out in a new survey which found that three quarters of companies in the sector fear a no-deal Brexit will hurt them.
    Less than 7 per cent said leaving the EU with no agreement in March would be beneficial.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/no-deal-brexit-deliver-apos-083442962.html

Sensationalist words and key points highlighted due to lack of facts
    edited November 2018
    HAYSIE said:

Just 5% of oil and gas firms think Brexit will have positive effect, survey says

Only 5% of oil and gas companies think Brexit will have a positive impact on the UK Continental Shelf, according to a new survey.

As above

From that well renowned and respected worldwide survey engine .." drum roll " .. Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce Oil and Gas Survey.

Yahoo news knock it out of the ball park once again . :D

HAYSIE said:

As above

From that well renowned and respected worldwide survey engine .." drum roll " .. Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce Oil and Gas Survey.

You clearly don't understand the implications of a no deal Brexit.
    Do you believe the Chancellor then?
    Or do you think that he also has his own version of the truth?
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

As above

You clearly don't understand the implications of a no deal Brexit.
    Do you believe the Chancellor then?
    Or do you think that he also has his own version of the truth?
    Tell you exactly what i think ...you like quoting sensationalist " what if " and " maybe" items from the media to support your view . You have absolutely no intention of ever
    listening to let alone accepting that alternative views from your own have any merit .
    Thankfully the majority of people on this planet are interested in exploring other sides of an argument .
    Tell you exactly what i think ...you like quoting sensationalist " what if " and " maybe" items from the media to support your view . You have absolutely no intention of ever
    listening to let alone accepting that alternative views from your own have any merit .
    Thankfully the majority of people on this planet are interested in exploring other sides of an argument .

I cant believe that you are saying that.

I have merely posted some articles relevant to Brexit. I had no input into the language used by the reporters.

Are you saying that I should edit these articles and remove language that doesn't suit you, prior to posting them.

I am not stopping anyone posting articles in favour of Brexit, though they seem few and far between.

Your claim that you are saying exactly what you think is untrue. You don't seem to have an opinion, you are merely criticising other peoples posts, and the various articles.

The Chancellor has admitted today that every Brexit option will have an adverse effect on the economy, and that staying in is financially better than every Brexit option. The worst option being no deal which the overwhelming majority from both sides of the argument view as being catastrophic.

Your opinion seems to be that you just haven't got one.

You just seem to criticise words that have been used, and nitpick various posts.

You have not come up with an original thought, alternative idea, or given an opinion, other than continually posting "nobody knows"

You have strangely not commented on The Chancellors article, or the words he has used.

Just nitpicking contributes nothing to this debate.

If you have an alternative view post it. I can only post my view. I would welcome and respect any alternative view.

People tend to use sensationalist language in regard to a no deal Brexit, because it will be such a disaster. Complete turmoil everywhere.

The result will be motorways turned in to lorry parks, which will be catastrophic for just in time manufacturers.

People dying from the inability to get drugs in time. etc, etc, etc,

We are currently spending billions just in case of a no deal, when this money could be much better spent elsewhere. Like helping the homeless, Universal Credit, Mental Health, NHS, more police officers, given to Local Authorities to provide better services etc, etc, etc,

Why are we wasting billions just in case?

Couldn't be much clearer. I hope the language is not too dramatic for any reader, and that the BBC is an acceptable source.

edited November 2018

UK ports face 'major disruption' in case of no-deal Brexit, MPs warn

There is a "real prospect" of "major disruption" at UK ports in the case of a no-deal Brexit, according to MPs.
    The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) said government preparations for avoiding disruption around major ports were "worryingly under-developed".
    Committee members also said there was a "real risk" the Department for Transport (DfT) would not be ready for a hard Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46363679

HAYSIE said:

Couldn't be much clearer. I hope the language is not too dramatic for any reader, and that the BBC is an acceptable source.

Thats it well done ...cherry pick the headline that suits your stance .

We could look at some other things he also said ( allegedly ) in the article like :

" Theresa May's plan is the best available" and "But it was not just about the economy, the chancellor added - her plan would deliver "political benefits" as well." and "He said Mrs May's deal would reduce to "an absolute minimum the economic impact of leaving the EU, while delivering the political benefits" such as being able to do trade deals outside the EU and "having control of our fishing waters".

Sir Bill cash ( who you obviously don't want to hear , because he opposes your stance ) said this ( allegedly ) " Veteran Conservative Eurosceptic Sir Bill Cash said Mr Hammond was effectively arguing for the UK to stay in the European Union in his "extraordinary" statement.

He said the chancellor had ignored potential economic benefits of leaving the EU, asking: "What about the trade deals which could give us the most enormous opportunities throughout the world, if we are able to strike them?"

So more to digest there than a headline grabber !
    Brexit: What are the challenges ahead for a UK/US trade deal?

The government's Brexit White Paper, published this week, asserts that the UK can create a free trade area in goods with the EU, but still forge its own trade deals around the world.
    In her news conference with Mr Trump, Theresa May insisted that "there will be no limit to the possibility of us doing trade deals around the rest of the world once we leave the European Union."
    But the White Paper itself admits that "in the context of trade negotiations, a common rulebook would limit the UK's ability to make changes to regulation…"
    And that in turn would make it far more difficult to do trade deals with other countries like the United States.
    It is often noted that the UK, as part of the EU, does not allow the import of genetically modified food, chlorine-washed chicken or nearly all types of hormone-injected meat - all of which are allowed in the United States.
    The US would push the UK to change these regulations in negotiations on a future trade deal, but the terms of the Brexit White Paper would not allow it if the UK wants to maintain frictionless trade with the EU.
    "We don't currently have border checks because the French, for example, assume the UK is enforcing EU regulations," says Professor Alan Winters, director of the UK Trade Policy Observatory at the University of Sussex.
    "If we changed the rules for US-imported goods after Brexit, they'd want to start putting in checks."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44822906
    tomgoodun said:

tomgoodun said:

You did read my post pretty much saying that^ did you?
    Aww, there’s a certain cute childlike quality to your Treat em mean and keep em keen philosophy, did you pull the pigtails of the girls you fancied at school ?
    Meanwhile over in the good old US of A

Donald Trump has suggested Theresa May's Brexit agreement could threaten a US-UK trade deal.

The US president told reporters the withdrawal agreement "sounds like a great deal for the EU" and meant the UK might not be able to trade with the US.
    Actually think you are losing the plot ..see the bolded bit . In response to that yes I did read it and this is what you said >>> "I have so far not seen or read any people giving detailed reasons for doing so, all I have seen/read is people such as yourself questioning the merits of remain"
    Make **** sure if you are going to lie about what people do or don't say , you can actually prove it , or they cant disprove it !