You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

And I'm still waiting patiently for you to answer the question , which i've asked twice now > who are these " average " people you talk about ?

If you don't know the meaning of an average person, in a debate I cant help you.
    Thats it dodge the question again ....standard for you !
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,037

HAYSIE said:

John McDonnell said this >>>>"We’re in the ludicrous position of seeing an analysis produced today on the economic implications of Brexit which is in fact an assessment of the Chequers proposals abandoned months ago.

The government has been unable to assess the vague, half-baked deal the PM is promising, but what we do know is the latest proposals are worse than even the Chequers deal.

What the analysis produced by the Treasury today does show us is that the Tories plans will leave the country poorer"

And?
    Well done, a 3 letter word response ..pretty much on a par with your " BS " rant .
    I am not sure about the point you are trying to make. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

John McDonnell said this >>>>"We’re in the ludicrous position of seeing an analysis produced today on the economic implications of Brexit which is in fact an assessment of the Chequers proposals abandoned months ago.

The government has been unable to assess the vague, half-baked deal the PM is promising, but what we do know is the latest proposals are worse than even the Chequers deal.

What the analysis produced by the Treasury today does show us is that the Tories plans will leave the country poorer"

And your point is?
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

This is what David Davis had to say earlier : In a speech this morning David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, rejected the government’s claim that Brexit would make the UK poorer. He said:

Treasury forecasts in the past have almost never been right and have more often been dramatically wrong.

As the Press Association reports, Davis said predictions the UK economy would contract by 2.1% in the 18 months after the Leave vote were unfounded, with it actually growing by 2.8%. He also said that other negative forecasts around unemployment and family incomes were also unfounded.

None of this spine-chilling nonsense came to pass.

Davis suggested a Brexit scenario in which the UK reverts to a free trade deal with the EU based on World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules could benefit the economy. “It would involve all the choking tentacles of the EU falling away,” he said. As the Press Association reports, Davis said UK exports to non-EU countries had grown four times faster than exports to the EU.

The future of the UK economy does not lie with the EU but with the wider world.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/nov/28/brexit-pmqs-may-corbyn-hammond-economic-analysis-confirms-that-leaving-eu-will-make-uk-poorer-politics-live

Is this the same David Davis that said when he was Brexit Secretary that we would get exactly the same benefits when we left, and that was ridiculed the other day for thinking that we would still get a Transition Period with no deal?
    My apologies , I mistakenly thought you wanted other opinions on this thread apart from your own . Hence the quote from a leading politician .
    Which of his opinions do you agree with?
    What i agree with or disagree with is irrelevant ..I put this quote of his on here , to give some much needed balance to a one sided ego trip of a thread !
    edited November 2018

I know I'm wasting my time trying to educate you Haysie , but still ...this is a well written article imo on economic forecasting . Perhaps you would do well to read it and perhaps try and grasp the concept that lots of small variables can completely skew a forecast . >>> https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/02/economic-forecasting-flawed-science-data

The Treasury report today was a trade analysis, not a forecast.

HAYSIE said:

And I'm still waiting patiently for you to answer the question , which i've asked twice now > who are these " average " people you talk about ?

If you don't know the meaning of an average person, in a debate I cant help you.
    Thats it dodge the question again ....standard for you !
    If the Government produces a report, and part of the analysis is how much the average person is poorer by, under each possible Brexit scenario. What do you think it means?
    HAYSIE said:

I know I'm wasting my time trying to educate you Haysie , but still ...this is a well written article imo on economic forecasting . Perhaps you would do well to read it and perhaps try and grasp the concept that lots of small variables can completely skew a forecast . >>> https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/02/economic-forecasting-flawed-science-data

This article doesn't refer to todays treasury report ..the clue is in the title of the piece .
    Nice try at nitpicking though !

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

This is what David Davis had to say earlier : In a speech this morning David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, rejected the government’s claim that Brexit would make the UK poorer. He said:

Treasury forecasts in the past have almost never been right and have more often been dramatically wrong.

As the Press Association reports, Davis said predictions the UK economy would contract by 2.1% in the 18 months after the Leave vote were unfounded, with it actually growing by 2.8%. He also said that other negative forecasts around unemployment and family incomes were also unfounded.

Davis suggested a Brexit scenario in which the UK reverts to a free trade deal with the EU based on World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules could benefit the economy. “It would involve all the choking tentacles of the EU falling away,” he said. As the Press Association reports, Davis said UK exports to non-EU countries had grown four times faster than exports to the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/nov/28/brexit-pmqs-may-corbyn-hammond-economic-analysis-confirms-that-leaving-eu-will-make-uk-poorer-politics-live

Is this the same David Davis that said when he was Brexit Secretary that we would get exactly the same benefits when we left, and that was ridiculed the other day for thinking that we would still get a Transition Period with no deal?
    My apologies , I mistakenly thought you wanted other opinions on this thread apart from your own . Hence the quote from a leading politician .
    What i agree with or disagree with is irrelevant ..I put this quote of his on here , to give some much needed balance to a one sided ego trip of a thread !
    Ok still no opinions.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Ok still no opinions.
    My own opinions are much like your answers to questions , rare !
    HAYSIE said:

Do you agree with this then?

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Ok still no opinions.
    You don't have any.

HAYSIE said:

This article doesn't refer to todays treasury report ..the clue is in the title of the piece .
    This article is about economic forecasting
    edited November 2018
    d
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Ok still no opinions.
    You don't have any.
    I do , it's just you aren't likely to be party to them .
    edited November 2018
    And if i did want anyone to know my views on any subject , i would a) make sure I knew what i was talking about before potentially being challenged and b) put them on a forum or blog that was going to get some decent coverage i.e politics on a political forum as opposed to a tiny little poker forum .
    of course you wouldnt put this one man show of a thread anywhere like that because you would obviously get verbally mullered and shown up by people who do actually know what they're talking about !

Here are some more.

David Davis is as 'thick as mince' and as 'lazy as a toad', says Vote Leave chief

The former head of the Vote Leave campaign has branded the Brexit Secretary as “thick as mince” and “as lazy as a toad”

It comes on the same day that Mr Davis made a half-day trip to Brussels to negotiate with EU officials, where he faced criticism for being pictured sitting down for talks without any notes.

In the photograph, Mr Davis’s approach was in stark contrast to the European Commission negotiators, who sat with large piles of briefing papers in organised binders.
    He said the Brexit Secretary was “manufactured exactly to specification as the perfect stooge for Heywood: thick as mince, lazy as a toad and vain as Narcissus”
    The Vote Leave director has now said that Mr Davis “spent the campaign boozing with [Nigel] Farage, predicting defeat and briefing [against] Vote Leave” and was involved in the “single crappest TV news for Leave of entire campaign”, when Grassroots Out unveiled George Galloway as a supporter.
    On the photograph of Mr Davis at the negotiating table, Liberal Democrat Brexit spokesperson Tom Brake said: “We have less than twenty months of Brexit talks left, yet David Davis has skulked back to the UK after just half a day.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-thick-as-mince-lazy-as-a-toad-dominic-cummings-a7845911.html

In a sometimes gruelling appearance before the Brexit select committee Davis said there had been “no systematic impact assessment” of leaving the EU, having talked previously about such apparent studies existing “in excruciating detail”. Davis insisted he had been misunderstood, saying the only work undertaken comprised broad surveys of various parts of the economy, none of which included any forecasts of how Brexit might affect them.
    Another Labour MP, Seema Malhotra, the member for Feltham and Heston, called Davis’s admission a “dereliction of duty”. After the hearing, the Green Party co-leader Caroline Lucas and the former Lib Dem leader, Tim Farron, said he should resign as a minister.
    In a TV interview in June, Davis had he said nearly 60 sector analyses had been completed. In October he told the Brexit committee that Theresa May had read summaries of impact assessments, which he said went into “excruciating detail”.
    That month, the Commons demanded the Brexit department release the 58 impact assessments, passed unanimously after Conservative MPs took no part. Davis then said the information did not exist in this form.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/06/david-davis-escapes-mps-criticism-over-lack-of-brexit-assessments

12th March
    David Davis hasn't visited Brussels for Brexit talks yet this year

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-brussels-brexit-talks-not-visited-2018-barnier-eu-a8251841.html

David Davis leaves Brussels after less than an hour of Brexit talks

“David Davis can hardly say this is the time to ‘get down to business’ and then spend only a few minutes in Brussels before heading back to Whitehall.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/17/david-davis-leaves-brussels-after-less-than-one-hour-of-brexit-talks

Brexit: David Davis ridiculed over remark that suggests he does not understand EU negotiations
    Former Brexit secretary wrongly states UK could enter transition period without reaching deal, in comments described as 'unbelievable'

David Davis has been ridiculed for suggesting the UK could enter a post-Brexit transition period after leaving the EU with no deal.

The Conservative MP, who was Brexit secretary for two years before resigning in July, was branded “deluded” over an opinion piece which appeared to show he did not understand fundamental aspects of the withdrawal negotiations.

In an article for the Conservative Home website, he wrote: “If we need to leave with no deal and negotiate a free trade agreement during the transition period, so be it. Let’s be clear and honest and tell the EU that’s what we are prepared to do.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-david-davis-negotiations-eu-theresa-may-conservative-home-draft-agreement-a8642526.html

Brexit Secretary David Davis admits deal with 'exact same benefits' is not a promise

Mr Davis made the claim in answer to a question from Conservative MP Anna Soubry in the Commons in January, when he said: “What we have come up with … is the idea of a comprehensive free trade agreement and a comprehensive customs agreement that will deliver the exact same benefits as we have.”

But after hearing Mr Davis’ words this morning, Ms Soubry tweeted: “David Davis now says @BBCr4today ‘exact same benefits’ is an ambition not a promise. Glad he cleared that up...”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-david-davis-exact-same-benefits-promise-article-50-theresa-may-a7657426.html

HAYSIE said:

And your point is?
    I am not sure of the point you were trying to make.
    I have already said in a number of posts that you disputed, that every Brexit option damages the Economy. You just said noone knows.
    I explained to you the other day that what has been agreed is The Withdrawal Agreement, and The Backstop.
    Included in this is a non binding framework for a future trade agreement, which is currently based on Chequers, but may change.
    It is no surprise that a Shadow Chancellor might criticise a Government plan, as that is his job.

And if i did want anyone to know my views on any subject , i would a) make sure I knew what i was talking about before potentially being challenged and b) put them on a forum or blog that was going to get some decent coverage i.e politics on a political forum as opposed to a tiny little poker forum .
    of course you wouldnt put this one man show of a thread anywhere like that because you would obviously get verbally mullered and shown up by people who do actually know what they're talking about !

At last an opinion. A massive step forward.

You seem very bitter and twisted.

I am not concerned about your views on me, but your views on the forum only make me wonder why you bother with it.

I am not sure why anyone with your opinions on the forum, and in particular this thread, would be posting so feverishly over the last couple of days. It really doesn't make sense.

Whatever you think of my knowledge of Brexit, it far exceeds yours.

All your posts are no more than a sentence or two and are usually critical of someone else.

You never write at any length about your own views or opinions, make a positive comment, or post an original thought.

Brexit is the most momentous thing happening in our life time, and you didn't vote in the referendum.

Averages are quite easy. An easy one would be. Say you owned a company, and had 50 employees. If you had projected that you would make £100,000 profit next year. You would divide the £100,000 by 50, which gives you a figure of £2,000, which is the average profit per employee.

The Bank of England have come out today and said that a no deal Brexit may result in house prices falling by up to 30%, mortgage rates increasing to as much 5.5%, and inflation rising.
    This would obviously adversely affect homeowners with the reduction in value putting some people into negative equity, and mortgage payments increasing substantially. They will have figures on the average mortgage and probably announce before long that a person with an average house will have lost x amount of the value, and that a person with an average mortgage will be worse off by so much per month.

There will be no averages on inflation because that affects everybody.

We are never going to get on. You don't seem to know much about Brexit. In fact you don't seem that interested in Brexit. You only seem interested in causing rows. So maybe you could just take your nastiness back to the Tommy Robinson thread, as I don't intend visiting over there.

We needn't talk to each other then.

Its up to you of course because you are entitled to go where you want on the forum, but that might be a plan.
    edited November 2018
    d
    HAYSIE said:

At last an opinion. A massive step forward.

You seem very bitter and twisted.

I am not concerned about your views on me, but your views on the forum only make me wonder why you bother with it.

I am not sure why anyone with your opinions on the forum, and in particular this thread, would be posting so feverishly over the last couple of days. It really doesn't make sense.

Whatever you think of my knowledge of Brexit, it far exceeds yours.

All your posts are no more than a sentence or two and are usually critical of someone else.

You never write at any length about your own views or opinions, make a positive comment, or post an original thought.

Brexit is the most momentous thing happening in our life time, and you didn't vote in the referendum.

Averages are quite easy. An easy one would be. Say you owned a company, and had 50 employees. If you had projected that you would make £100,000 profit next year. You would divide the £100,000 by 50, which gives you a figure of £2,000, which is the average profit per employee.

The Bank of England have come out today and said that a no deal Brexit may result in house prices falling by up to 30%, mortgage rates increasing to as much 5.5%, and inflation rising.
    This would obviously adversely affect homeowners with the reduction in value putting some people into negative equity, and mortgage payments increasing substantially. They will have figures on the average mortgage and probably announce before long that a person with an average house will have lost x amount of the value, and that a person with an average mortgage will be worse off by so much per month.

There will be no averages on inflation because that affects everybody.

We are never going to get on. You don't seem to know much about Brexit. In fact you don't seem that interested in Brexit. You only seem interested in causing rows. So maybe you could just take your nastiness back to the Tommy Robinson thread, as I don't intend visiting over there.

We needn't talk to each other then.

Its up to you of course because you are entitled to go where you want on the forum, but that might be a plan.
    Addressing all the bolded bits as below :

My views on the forum , please elaborate on that one . In fact the like you had on your post from your no 1 fan Tomgoodun , was the person to say the sooner the forum closed the better . So why are you not asking him , if that's what he thinks , then why is he still posting ?
    I seem " very bitter and twisted " because I think your ego outweighs the facts on this thread , ok more Haysie logic.
    The reason I didnt vote , was simply because I couldn't be sure of making the right decision , based on the arguments put forward from both sides ..i'd say that was the responsible thing to do !
    Using an example like the one highlighted to try an explain what an " average" person is , is plain ridiculous . We all know why you don't want to answer the question , because it'll show up your superiority complex .
    Truth is Mr arrogant , you THINK you know more than ANYONE , about EVERYTHING and therein lies the reason that the this thread is mostly you , because people see it as a waste time trying to debate anything with you ..in fact that point was pretty much made very early in the thread by jac35.
    Anyone who calls you out is obviously only interested in causing rows , says the person who picks a topic to fixate on and goes on and on like an extended war and peace rant , the same person , who really isn't that interested in Tommy Robinson , but heads over to that thread , because he knows he will get an argument , especially if he shows his true colours and calls people morons .

Finally more than happy to stay here and challenge you on anything i think needs challenging .
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    As I have (once again) been brought up in reply to someone else, I shall try to explain.

What I shloud have said was - If all the forum is used for is slagging people off the sooner it’s closed the better.
    I am going through a particularly horrendous time st present, one which I wouldn’t wish on anyone ( including you @dobiesdraw ) I let my emotions get the better of me that day, I should know better.

As far as being “Haysies no.1 fan” - He is a person I respect yes, but we have had our disagreements in the past, which he ( and I) put our points across without bringing personal insults into it, it really is that simple.
    Finally more than happy to stay here and challenge you on anything i think needs challenging .
    put them on a forum or blog that was going to get some decent coverage i.e politics on a political forum as opposed to a tiny little poker forum .

Your views which don't appear complimentary are above. Such a tiny little poker forum would seem to be beneath you. You seem to be inferring that you would prefer a much bigger audience for your well thought out comments.

The reason you seem bitter and twisted, is evident from your posts.

The responsible thing to do in the referendum, would have been to have bothered to find out the pros and cons, and voted. Maybe we are leaving because people like you couldn't be bothered to find out any information and didn't vote.

The reason I gave examples on averages is because you seemed at a loss. You were asking what an average person was. I assumed you knew what a person was, and therefore struggling on average.

The whole point of this is that you clearly didn't wish to admit that the average man on the street would probably choose money in his pocket over political benefits. Instead of doing that, you prefer to create a row.

I am well aware of the limits of my knowledge.

The criticism made by Jac earlier in the thread was over my comments regarding one person.

I think that your posts will bear out your liking for causing rows.

As far as the Tommy Robinson thread is concerned, I went there because someone asked me to, and have since said that I am sorry I did. I did call two people morons, which I regret.

If I wish to fixate on a topic, and go off on war and peace length rants, does this harm you in any way? Is it illegal? Do you have to read them?

If this thread was as bad as you say it is, why on earth would you wish to get involved, unless it was to cause rows?

There are people that don't share your views
    he is contributing handsomely to the Forum, & if we had 10 more like him the Forum would be a far better place.
    The above was posted by Tikay in response to your moaning about this thread being in poker chat.

Are you really saying that if you read an economic report produced by The Government, that referred to the effect on the average citizen, that you rwouldn't know what this meant?

HAYSIE said:

Liz Truss the Treasury Minister was on Politics Today yesterday explaining that what The Government had produced was a trade analysis, rather than a forecast.
    The difference being that a forecast would take other factors into account, and because this analysis focused solely on trade it was more reliable.
    I wasn't nitpicking, you mistook me for someone else.