You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,038

Jacob Rees-Mogg calls Mark Carney a 'failed-second tier politician'
    Jacob Rees-Mogg has launched a personal attack on the Bank of England Governor Mark Carney, saying he should not have been in the post for some time.

He told BBC News that Mr Carney was a “second-tier Canadian politician” who "failed" to get a job at hom
    e.

Sounds pretty accurate to me .

Why would you say that it sounds accurate?

If anyone who voted leave , knew at the time what sort of deal Theresa may was going to be offered and the realistic chance of there being a no deal , would they still have voted leave ? Obviously we won't get much if any of a response on here , because a) haysies attitude has frightened off the leave brigade from making any arguments and b) This is a poker forum , with quite a limited user base and not a political forum .

So your point is?

Rees Mogg also said :

'Real opportunity'
    Conservative MP and Brexiter Jacob Rees-Mogg accused Mark Carney of talking down the pound on Wednesday, saying the Bank of England's warnings tonight "lack all credibility".

Mr Rees-Mogg said "project fear" had become "project hysteria".

"The overwhelming majority - 87% - of British companies do not trade with the European Union," he said.

"It will not have an effect on them. Leaving the European Union is a real economic opportunity and it's an opportunity that neither the Bank of England nor the Treasury in its forecasts wishes to recognise," Mr Rees-Mogg added

What do you think?
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750

If anyone who voted leave , knew at the time what sort of deal Theresa may was going to be offered and the realistic chance of there being a no deal , would they still have voted leave ? Obviously we won't get much if any of a response on here , because a) haysies attitude has frightened off the leave brigade from making any arguments and b) This is a poker forum , with quite a limited user base and not a political forum .

It’s a poker forum yes, but there are a variety of topics on different threads which lots have people have had their input on.

“ Haysies attitude has frightened the leave brigade from making any argument “ - You have given your input here, are you suggesting that you are different to people who voted leave? I respectfully suggest you are way off the mark on this, people have had different opinions in other threads and aren’t “afraid” of voicing them .

I must admit to being surprised at the lack of opposing views with any credible reasoning.

The fact that the majority voted leave would suggest that there are quite a few who play poker here did so, maybe those that did don’t use the forum, I doubt that though.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

Rees Mogg also said :

'Real opportunity'
    Conservative MP and Brexiter Jacob Rees-Mogg accused Mark Carney of talking down the pound on Wednesday, saying the Bank of England's warnings tonight "lack all credibility".

"The overwhelming majority - 87% - of British companies do not trade with the European Union," he said.

"It will not have an effect on them. Leaving the European Union is a real economic opportunity and it's an opportunity that neither the Bank of England nor the Treasury in its forecasts wishes to recognise," Mr Rees-Mogg added

What do you think?
    I'm more interested in what other people, besides you and your small fan base, think actually

edited November 2018
    HAYSIE said:

So your point is?
    I'm not making a point regarding the leave vote , it's a question ...see the question mark at the end ?
    The point about lack of response on here from leave voters is clear for anyone to grasp

HAYSIE said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg has launched a personal attack on the Bank of England Governor Mark Carney, saying he should not have been in the post for some time.

He told BBC News that Mr Carney was a “second-tier Canadian politician” who "failed" to get a job at hom
    e.

Why would you say that it sounds accurate?
    Why do you think it's not ?
    edited November 2018
    tomgoodun said:

It’s a poker forum yes, but there are a variety of topics on different threads which lots have people have had their input on.

“ Haysies attitude has frightened the leave brigade from making any argument “ - You have given your input here, are you suggesting that you are different to people who voted leave? I respectfully suggest you are way off the mark on this, people have had different opinions in other threads and aren’t “afraid” of voicing them .

I must admit to being surprised at the lack of opposing views with any credible reasoning.

The fact that the majority voted leave would suggest that there are quite a few who play poker here did so, maybe those that did don’t use the forum, I doubt that though.
    Suggest what you want , but the lack of responses from leave voters on this thread overall , tells the story .

By credible reasoning , you actually mean anyone that agrees with you .

Back this up with fact ! How many sky poker players as a percentage , do you think actually use this forum ?

Why would the fact that you couldn't be bothered to vote, have anything to do with my self importance.
    Why would my loss off the moral high ground absolve you of any responsibility.
    The fact that you don't care what people think of you is very fortunate.
    Which of your posts do you consider to be the best, and deserving of praise?
    edited November 2018
    HAYSIE said:

Why would the fact that you couldn't be bothered to vote, have anything to do with my self importance.
    Why would my loss off the moral high ground absolve you of any responsibility.
    The fact that you don't care what people think of you is very fortunate.
    Which of your posts do you consider to be the best, and deserving of praise?

Who said it did ? laughs at the " couldn't be bothered to vote " ..My clear reasons for not have already been stated numerous times and they certainly don't include apathy , but carry on misrepresenting .
    Who said it did ?
    Fortunate for who ?
    Not interested .

Now you try answering some questions , I can play your very silly game until the cows come home !
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    This is slightly concerning, I heard snippets on the radio but haven’t heard the latest, does anyone know the current position ?

The European commission has started to block Britain’s space industry from being involved in manufacturing of the security elements of the satellite programme. The EU says the agreement struck over the terms of the 21-month transition period after Brexit gives it the freedom to do so. The commission has suggested that after Brexit the UK should not be given privileged access to “need-to-know” information about Galileo’s PRS. It has already banned UK representatives from discussions and exchanges pertaining to the post-2019 development of the security aspects of the satellite system.

^ The Galileo Project
    tomgoodun said:

This is slightly concerning, I heard snippets on the radio but haven’t heard the latest, does anyone know the current position ?

The European commission has started to block Britain’s space industry from being involved in manufacturing of the security elements of the satellite programme. The EU says the agreement struck over the terms of the 21-month transition period after Brexit gives it the freedom to do so. The commission has suggested that after Brexit the UK should not be given privileged access to “need-to-know” information about Galileo’s PRS. It has already banned UK representatives from discussions and exchanges pertaining to the post-2019 development of the security aspects of the satellite system.

^ The Galileo Project

An article back in May : https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/25/what-is-galileo-and-why-are-the-uk-and-eu-arguing-about-it
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,873
    Between now and May ..... don't believe all you hear & read .... Watch/Weighters go with your gut.
    >That was me not paying attention to what I was typing as opposed to anything else ..but well done for picking it up.

It just suited you to be in the majority, rather than part of a small minority. It was such an obvious blunder it was not difficult to pick up.

When someone makes the same point over and over like i have , and still someone wants to question its validity , either a) they are dense or b) just being argumentative for the sake of it ..choose your option .... ..the question was asked and different arguments and outcomes were put forward to enable voters to make an informed decision . The arguments and misrepresentation from BOTH sides made it impossible for me to make my mind up .

The question of how you think a democracy might work if nobody voted is a valid question, and I would be interested in your answer. It is a general question and not necessarily specific to Brexit.

On Brexit as you pointed out 72% of the electorate actually took part. Many of these people could have fallen back on the same excuses as you. Fortunately the majority looked into it, and took their responsibilities seriously.

You are , and perhaps you would like to tell me , exactly how democratic a country we would have if we forced our people to vote , even if they weren't really sure what they were voting for , and how that would impact on life changing moments like the brexit vote . If we had compulsory voting , the leave vote would have been higher .

Compulsory voting has been in place in Australia for many years. The reasons for are below.

History of compulsory voting in Australia
    Compulsory enrolment for federal elections was introduced in 1912
    Compulsory voting for state elections was introduced in Queensland in 1915
    Compulsory voting at federal elections was introduced in 1924.

Arguments used in favour of compulsory voting
    Voting is a civic duty comparable to other duties citizens perform e.g. taxation, compulsory education, jury duty
    Teaches the benefits of political participation
    Parliament reflects more accurately the "will of the electorate"
    Governments must consider the total electorate in policy formulation and management
    Candidates can concentrate their campaigning energies on issues rather than encouraging voters to attend the poll
    The voter isn't actually compelled to vote for anyone because voting is by secret ballot.

The reason I think your excuses for not voting are invalid, is because we were all in the same boat. The excuses you are relying on could have been used by the majority of the 72% that actually voted. I think that the arguments for compulsory voting are quite convincing. Even if you took the word compulsory out of it they are convincing reasons to vote.

What I meant to type was " remain" .....if the vote had been remain , you wouldn't even be saying the referendum shouldn't be offered .

This is a pathetic argument. How could you possibly try to argue that to call a referendum was correct, and then say that it was too complex for you to take part in.

My arguments against were clear, and are shared by lots of people. You obviously didn't understand them. I think the situation we find ourselves in today proves my argument to be correct.

Your forecast regarding the Leave vote in the case of compulsory voting is pure speculation.

e.

Shoot the messenger?

e.

Why would any of this be relevant to running the Bank of England?

Rees Mogg also said :

'Real opportunity'

Mark Carney made it crystal clear in his interview that his job is to warn of, and prepare for the worst possible outcomes.

These outcomes did not suit Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    HAYSIE said:

>That was me not paying attention to what I was typing as opposed to anything else ..but well done for picking it up.

It just suited you to be in the majority, rather than part of a small minority. It was such an obvious blunder it was not difficult to pick up.

When someone makes the same point over and over like i have , and still someone wants to question its validity , either a) they are dense or b) just being argumentative for the sake of it ..choose your option .... ..the question was asked and different arguments and outcomes were put forward to enable voters to make an informed decision . The arguments and misrepresentation from BOTH sides made it impossible for me to make my mind up .

The question of how you think a democracy might work if nobody voted is a valid question, and I would be interested in your answer. It is a general question and not necessarily specific to Brexit.

On Brexit as you pointed out 72% of the electorate actually took part. Many of these people could have fallen back on the same excuses as you. Fortunately the majority looked into it, and took their responsibilities seriously.

You are , and perhaps you would like to tell me , exactly how democratic a country we would have if we forced our people to vote , even if they weren't really sure what they were voting for , and how that would impact on life changing moments like the brexit vote . If we had compulsory voting , the leave vote would have been higher .

Compulsory voting has been in place in Australia for many years. The reasons for are below.

History of compulsory voting in Australia
    Compulsory enrolment for federal elections was introduced in 1912
    Compulsory voting for state elections was introduced in Queensland in 1915
    Compulsory voting at federal elections was introduced in 1924.

Arguments used in favour of compulsory voting
    Voting is a civic duty comparable to other duties citizens perform e.g. taxation, compulsory education, jury duty
    Teaches the benefits of political participation
    Parliament reflects more accurately the "will of the electorate"
    Governments must consider the total electorate in policy formulation and management
    Candidates can concentrate their campaigning energies on issues rather than encouraging voters to attend the poll
    The voter isn't actually compelled to vote for anyone because voting is by secret ballot.

The reason I think your excuses for not voting are invalid, is because we were all in the same boat. The excuses you are relying on could have been used by the majority of the 72% that actually voted. I think that the arguments for compulsory voting are quite convincing. Even if you took the word compulsory out of it they are convincing reasons to vote.

What I meant to type was " remain" .....if the vote had been remain , you wouldn't even be saying the referendum shouldn't be offered .

This is a pathetic argument. How could you possibly try to argue that to call a referendum was correct, and then say that it was too complex for you to take part in.

My arguments against were clear, and are shared by lots of people. You obviously didn't understand them. I think the situation we find ourselves in today proves my argument to be correct.

Your forecast regarding the Leave vote in the case of compulsory voting is pure speculation

Ridiculous question , because we will never be in a situation where nobody votes.

You mean invalid , because I didn't vote remain like you ? Invalid because I wasn't prepared to make a decision based on lies /misrepresentation and a lack of information ?

Once again , you LIE about what I've said ..please back that statement up , with proof that i said that !

We are in the situation we are today regarding Brexit , because a) whether you like it or not , the majority of the vote was for leave and b) Theres a good argument for the prime minister being too weak too garnish a decent deal for us .
    Obviously it's speculation , taking a leaf out of your book !
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,873
    There is no (Care in the Community) from the EU

Just to give Haysie something else to fixate on >>>>>#

https://duncanstephen.co.uk/not-voting-is-a-valid-democratic-act/

Another blunder. This refers to not voting in a General Election, rather than a referendum, where every vote counts.

I would like to say nice try, but it wasn't really.

For instance, Jeremy Paxman told the Radio Times, “the person who chooses not to vote – cannot even be bothered to write ‘none of the above’ on a ballot paper – disqualifies himself from passing any comment at all.”