You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,038

HAYSIE said:

<

Yes I do , thanks for asking , and playing semantics over phraseology isn't really doing you any favours.

What do you think the difference is then?
    If you are unsure , then this should explain it for you >>>https://www.uk-engage.org/2013/05/what-is-the-difference-between-an-election-and-a-referendum/

Too childish a question for me to spend time answering it in my own words .

It was a serious question but I think it just went over your head.

The bloke in the article that you yourself posted, suggested that because in a General Election, the votes are counted in separate constituencies, then if you lived in one where the sitting MP had a majority of say 10,000. Assuming you had previously voted for him, but had gone off him, voting for someone else would merely reduce his majority to 9,999. So if your argument was just based on these facts, and you took no other factors into account, it would be reasonable to say that there was no point in voting, and your vote didn't count.

However, it is not possible to apply this argument to a referendum as there is one pool of votes, and every single vote counts.

This is what is commonly known as being hoisted by your own petard.

Not the case at all , you didn't have to be a rocket scientist pre brexit vote , to realise that if you voted leave , then you couldn't be sure what the exact deal was going to be , as if you voted remain , what the potential benefits to the country might be long term . </blockquote

I think that if you think back to pre-referendum days.

The remain side were pitching what we would lose if we left, and the leave side were pitching what we would gain by leaving.

It was that simple.

There were false claims made mostly by the leave side, and exaggerated projections made by the remain side.

We couldn't find out about these untruths until after the referendum.

Most of the difficulties that are now in the way were not forseen or spoken about by either side.

For instance we couldn't find out that the drastic economic forecasts, now dubbed as project fear, would not happen, until the referendum was over.

So I think most people just weighed up what we would lose against what we might gain, and issues like immigration etc.

Nobody even knew, or thought about a no deal Brexit or a Norway option.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

<

Yes I do , thanks for asking , and playing semantics over phraseology isn't really doing you any favours.

If you are unsure , then this should explain it for you >>>https://www.uk-engage.org/2013/05/what-is-the-difference-between-an-election-and-a-referendum/

The bloke in the article that you yourself posted, suggested that because in a General Election, the votes are counted in separate constituencies, then if you lived in one where the sitting MP had a majority of say 10,000. Assuming you had previously voted for him, but had gone off him, voting for someone else would merely reduce his majority to 9,999. So if your argument was just based on these facts, and you took no other factors into account, it would be reasonable to say that there was no point in voting, and your vote didn't count.

However, it is not possible to apply this argument to a referendum as there is one pool of votes, and every single vote counts.

This is what is commonly known as being hoisted by your own petard

Nothing has gone over my head ...you seem to think that everyone should be made to vote ( regardless of lies and lack of pertinent facts ) , therefore , it's an accurate statement to make in saying you think every vote is important or to phrase it .." every vote counts " ....its a colloquialism...but you already know that ...so no petard hoisted , but good try at trying to make a point about nothing !
    edited December 2018
    HAYSIE said:

Not the case at all , you didn't have to be a rocket scientist pre brexit vote , to realise that if you voted leave , then you couldn't be sure what the exact deal was going to be , as if you voted remain , what the potential benefits to the country might be long term .

It was that simple.

There were false claims made mostly by the leave side, and exaggerated projections made by the remain side.

We couldn't find out about these untruths until after the referendum.

Most of the difficulties that are now in the way were not forseen or spoken about by either side.

For instance we couldn't find out that the drastic economic forecasts, now dubbed as project fear, would not happen, until the referendum was over.

So I think most people just weighed up what we would lose against what we might gain, and issues like immigration etc.

Nobody even knew, or thought about a no deal Brexit or a Norway option.

Nothing simple about it , in order to make a considered decision , you have to be presented the accurate facts and consequences , neither side done this . You've already said that it was one of the most important decisions we have to make in this country , ( wouldn't disagree with that ) , but then you want to simplify the issue , by suggesting people should have voted without being sure about the possible implications .

As far as the last bolded part , the self proclaimed Brexit expert , now proclaims to know what EVERYONE knew or thought . Your hole's getting bigger , stop digging !

Once again , I didn't say that. Whether you think my points are valid or not is a total irrelevance to me . The few readers who read this will already have a very good snapshot of your mindset .

Isnt that the purpose of a forum. To debate peoples points of view.

Advocating uninformed voting ..genius again . You are also in favour of a 2nd referendum , presumably that would be on the basis that people voted without really knowing the consequences or likely deal ...You can't have it both ways , you cant suggest we should make everyone vote ( uninformed or not ) , but if we don't like the result , we will make them vote again .

I can.

In the two years since the referendum, it has become obvious that at the time the public was extremely ill informed about the consequences of leaving.

This evidence was not available, or discussed prior to the referendum.

This additional information did not affect me as I voted to remain. It only really affected leave voters.

How do you think that the 34 million people that voted differed from you?

How many of these 34 million voters would you consider informed?

What percentage of voters do you think are well informed?

Do you think it is a voters responsibility to inform themselves?

Can you vote in General Elections, or do you find yourself unable to assess politicians claims?

If you were Scottish, would you vote in an Independence Referendum, or would you just say "no one knows"?

Don't you think that many people have lots more knowledge regarding staying or leaving now than they could have had prior to the referendum?

What do you think about compulsory voting?

Do you think it has affected Australia in an adverse way?

If you lived in Australia, would you be happy to be paying the fines for being ill informed or just vote?

Or would you take responsibility, become informed and save the money?

Do you think that many difficulties surrounding leaving the EU have come to light since the referendum?

edited December 2018
    HAYSIE said:

Once again , I didn't say that. Whether you think my points are valid or not is a total irrelevance to me . The few readers who read this will already have a very good snapshot of your mindset .

Isnt that the purpose of a forum. To debate peoples points of view.

Advocating uninformed voting ..genius again . You are also in favour of a 2nd referendum , presumably that would be on the basis that people voted without really knowing the consequences or likely deal ...You can't have it both ways , you cant suggest we should make everyone vote ( uninformed or not ) , but if we don't like the result , we will make them vote again .

I can.

In the two years since the referendum, it has become obvious that at the time the public was extremely ill informed about the consequences of leaving.

This evidence was not available, or discussed prior to the referendum.

This additional information did not affect me as I voted to remain. It only really affected leave voters.

How do you think that the 34 million people that voted differed from you?

How many of these 34 million voters would you consider informed?

What percentage of voters do you think are well informed?

Do you think it is a voters responsibility to inform themselves?

Can you vote in General Elections, or do you find yourself unable to assess politicians claims?

If you were Scottish, would you vote in an Independence Referendum, or would you just say "no one knows"?

Don't you think that many people have lots more knowledge regarding staying or leaving now than they could have had prior to the referendum?

What do you think about compulsory voting?

Do you think it has affected Australia in an adverse way?

If you lived in Australia, would you be happy to be paying the fines for being ill informed or just vote?

Or would you take responsibility, become informed and save the money?

Do you think that many difficulties surrounding leaving the EU have come to light since the referendum?

Full of questions , but don't want to answer any ! ;)
    edited December 2018
    Just started this etsy shop up as an alternative small item revenue stream ..feel free to spend some of your poker winnings. More items will be added in due course . :)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FTCollectables

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

<

Nothing has gone over my head ...you seem to think that everyone should be made to vote ( regardless of lies and lack of pertinent facts ) , therefore , it's an accurate statement to make in saying you think every vote is important or to phrase it .." every vote counts " ....its a colloquialism...but you already know that ...so no petard hoisted , but good try at trying to make a point about nothing !

I worry about you.
    Every vote does actually count in a referendum, literally.
    Not necessarily true in a General Election.
    It is possible in a General Election for the party that gets the most votes to lose.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

<

I worry about you.
    Every vote does actually count in a referendum, literally.
    Not necessarily true in a General Election.
    It is possible in a General Election for the party that gets the most votes to lose.

More worried about you ,....you seem to take every word and sentence literally , without realising exactly what colloqualism is ...well to be fair either that or you are being deliberatly obtuse ...jury's out on that scenario . Feel free to buy something from my etsy store . :)

Just started this etsy shop up as an alternative small item revenue stream ..feel free to spend some of your poker winnings. More items will be added in due course . :)

Free trade :D
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,519

Your items look good, and well displayed.
    I strongly recommend you get advice about your returns policy.
    Essexphil said:

Thanks . My returns policy is one of the options offered on there . In what respect are you referring to , the contact me and return timeframes ? Pretty much what I have on ebay , but I appreciate auctions are different .
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,873
    Think he's taking the P if you have one. Phil's friendly banter. cough!

Essexphil said:

Thanks . My returns policy is one of the options offered on there . In what respect are you referring to , the contact me and return timeframes ? Pretty much what I have on ebay , but I appreciate auctions are different .
    Retired as a Solicitor now. Look at the Consumer Contracts Regs, as they amend/replace the Distance Selling Regs. It is your general returns policy (not bespoke/earrings etc) that needs work.

It is important you get it right, or people get a 1 YEAR right to change their mind!

Online retail is totally different to auctions, and consumers have (IMHO) too many rights in online sales...
    Essexphil said:

Essexphil said:

Retired as a Solicitor now. Look at the Consumer Contracts Regs, as they amend/replace the Distance Selling Regs. It is your general returns policy (not bespoke/earrings etc) that needs work.

It is important you get it right, or people get a 1 YEAR right to change their mind!

Online retail is totally different to auctions, and consumers have (IMHO) too many rights in online sales...
    Interested in which particular part of my returns policy you think needs adjusting .
    In the vast majority of cases, an online consumer has 14 days to change their mind (for ANY reason, and they do not have to tell you why) from when item is delivered, and it is usually the case that you have to pay for the cost of that return (not necessarily upfront).

You have to set out the Consumer's precise rights, both on the website and in documentation with the item.

I don't mean to be rude, but I used to charge a LOT of money for this sort of advice, and life is a lot simpler for me now. I'm only pointing you in the right direction, no more. If you want chapter and verse, I suggest you either instruct a Solicitor who is experienced in this sort of thing, or at least have a chat with your local trading standards.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,873
    Sold as seen with faults. £ 500 please.
    Essexphil said:

In the vast majority of cases, an online consumer has 14 days to change their mind (for ANY reason, and they do not have to tell you why) from when item is delivered, and it is usually the case that you have to pay for the cost of that return (not necessarily upfront).

You have to set out the Consumer's precise rights, both on the website and in documentation with the item.

I don't mean to be rude, but I used to charge a LOT of money for this sort of advice, and life is a lot simpler for me now. I'm only pointing you in the right direction, no more. If you want chapter and verse, I suggest you either instruct a Solicitor who is experienced in this sort of thing, or at least have a chat with your local trading standards.

Well I have contact me within 14 days of delivery , ship items back within 30 . The template for the policies is one that has been drawn up by Etsy ( who i should imagine , will have their own solicitors to ensure the framework is adequate ) . Didn't ask for chapter and verse and certainly don't intend paying you or anyone else any money when I can bookmark and read the consumer contract regs for myself . To be honest , I find it bizarre that you would be bothered to make a shadowy suggestion that my store policies need looking at , but are unprepared to highlight why you think that .
    Strange people .
    Apologise unreservedly for trying to be helpful.
    Promise not to do it again.
    Essexphil said:

Apologise unreservedly for trying to be helpful.
    Promise not to do it again.

Still trying to work out where the " help" was . I see someone parked in a layby , so i pull up , get out of the car , walk around to theirs and suggest that they might want to get their engine looked at , before walking away whistling .