You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Petition.

Comments

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    edited March 2019

British by birth
    English by the grace of God (tongue in cheek)
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Bad news....you are European
    Worse news.....if/when we leave the EU, you will still be European.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616

Which EU laws would you get shot of first?

The most common answers to this are

The colour of our passports
    The shape of bananas.

Scary, isn't it? And people voted for reasons like that.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,213
    Petition
    Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    3,878,839 signatures
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2019
    Brexit petition CON! Thousands of signatures in Revoke Article 50 petition are OUTSIDE UK.

THOUSANDS of the 3 million names on a record-breaking petition to derail Brexit by revoking Article 50 signed the petition from outside the UK, data on the Government’s Parliamentary website has revealed. And some Remainers have even shared their own postcodes to Twitter in a bid to encourage people from around the world to add their names. One Brexiteer revealed, as an experiment, he had even used the Queen’s official residence in order to do so. The ‘Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU’ petition, launched on Wednesday night, regularly crashed the parliamentary website yesterday as thousands of signatures were added every minute.
    All signatories are required to tick a box confirming they are a British citizen or UK resident and must provide a name, email address, country and postcode.

However, the rest were signatories from around the world, including at least 10,500 from France, about 5,000 from Germany and almost 4,000 from the United States, recorded this morning.

There were also 28 names from Russia, 71 from China, five from the Vatican, three from Cuba, and one apiece from North Korea and Mongolia.

Mr Walliams even claimed to have seen Mr Farage’s name on there, tweeting: “I have signed this petition to remain in the E.U.

“It now has over 2m signatures. I was surprised but pleased to see ⁦@Nigel_Farage⁩ ‘s name just above mine.”
    Some of the names will be undoubtedly be genuine, as any UK resident or British citizen is entitled to sign e-petitions, and they may be abroad.

But a search of Twitter indicated some Remainers were enthusiastically touting their details on line and encouraging people to use them as a way of getting round the Parliamentary rules.

One provided his postcode, adding: “EVERYONE COME OUT AND SIGN THE PETITION TO REVERSE BREXIT! Please share around. Every signature counts.”

Meanwhile, a Brexiteer tweeted: “Just putting this out there.I voted twice for the revoke article 50 petition. Trouble is I used 2 of my many email addresses.

And I gave SW1A 1AA as my postcode, UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T LIVE IN BUCKINGHAM PALACE. Yet my votes were allowed.”

Further analysis of the data suggested 2,816 people in Theresa May’s constituency had signed, 2,281 in Jacob Rees-Mogg’s constituency, and 6,798 in that of Jeremy Corbyn, despite his apparent reluctance.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103817/brexit-petition-cancel-brexit-article-50-revoke-brexit-news-latest

Desperate stuff from the remain camp , where they would actually try to manipulate a worthless petition , but still attempt to maintain the moral high ground when they spout on about brexit lies.

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited March 2019

However, the rest were signatories from around the world, including at least 10,500 from France, about 5,000 from Germany and almost 4,000 from the United States, recorded this morning.

There were also 28 names from Russia, 71 from China, five from the Vatican, three from Cuba, and one apiece from North Korea and Mongolia.

That's around 20k, out of (at time of writing) 3.9m, which equals one in every two thousand signatures. Bear in mind that a fair few of those voters are going to be legitimate UK signatures using a VPN that they just haven't disabled, or people on holiday in Spain for the week when they signed the petition. Some of the non-UK votes will be using a VPN to show themselves being in the UK. So none of those figures are reliable, really.

There's going to be a fair few people signing with two or more email addresses too - I'm sure @HAYSIE has probably made about fifty new e-mail addresses just to sign the petition over and over - but I think even if you assume 5% of the signatures are illegitimate (I'll take the unders please), that's still 3.7m signatures.

But a search of Twitter indicated some Remainers were enthusiastically touting their details on line and encouraging people to use them as a way of getting round the Parliamentary rules.

One provided his postcode, adding: “EVERYONE COME OUT AND SIGN THE PETITION TO REVERSE BREXIT! Please share around. Every signature counts.”

Meanwhile, a Brexiteer tweeted: “Just putting this out there.I voted twice for the revoke article 50 petition. Trouble is I used 2 of my many email addresses.

And I gave SW1A 1AA as my postcode, UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T LIVE IN BUCKINGHAM PALACE. Yet my votes were allowed.”

Do you really think for one minute that votes from other countries, or the same name with the same postcode, or people signing using SW1A 1AA as their postcode are being accepted and just left there? They're probably 'accepted', the user gets the confirmation page, then their signature gets filtered out again behind the scenes.

That would arguably be the best way to deal with the situation from a site moderator's point of view, so that illegitimate/repeat signees think they've made their contribution and leave the site, instead of hogging the site's bandwidth or making any real effort to try to hide what they're doing.

---

Also, when discussing # of signatures, bear in mind that Gibraltar has a population of around 35k and aren't allowed to sign the petition, even though 96% of Gibraltarians that turned out to vote wanted to remain and it affects those people more than anyone in the UK. While there are certainly some illegitimate votes in there, there's also a group who voted in the referendum that aren't represented at all in that total number of signatures.
  • Options
    Petition
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    3,919,388 signatures
  • Options
    Brexit news: Nigel Farage accused of hypocrisy after claiming Article 50 petition signatures are 'coming from Russia'
    It comes as more than 3 million people signed a petition calling for Article 50 to be revoked

Ex-Ukip leader Nigel Farage has been accused of hypocrisy after claiming that many signatures to a record-breaking petition to cancel Brexit came from Russia and the majority for a no-deal exit was increasing by the week.
    The prominent Brexiteer said he was “disgusted” by the news that Brexit would be delayed, which he claimed would be seen by millions of people as a “failure of leadership” by Theresa May.

Mr Farage, who has taken the reins of a new Brexit party, also sought to dismiss criticism of his sparsely attended pro-Leave march, saying it was the “symbolism” that mattered.

He also made unsubstantiated claims that there is a “very, very clear majority” for a no-deal Brexit and “it’s gaining a few per cent every single week”.

Mr Farage made the claims despite more than 3 million people have signed a petition calling for Article 50 to be revoked, and ahead of a major demonstration in favour of a Final Say referendum on Saturday, organised in partnership with The Independent

Labour MP Jo Stevens, who supports the Best for Britain campaign, said: “The hypocrisy of Farage and his billionaire bully boys knows no bounds. He and his gang broke electoral law and are under investigation for Russian collusion.

“With around 3 million signatures already, the revoke petition shows the genuine depth of anger in the country at the government’s shambolic mismanagement of Brexit – and the damage which has already been done.
    “Of the emails I’m receiving from worried constituents, 95 per cent are calling on MPs to revoke Article 50 and stop the clock on this process to prevent a disastrous no-deal Brexit.”

Mr Farage told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that there was a “very big shift going on in the country” as he said people were saying “can we please end this agony – it’s dominating everything”.
    When the presenter pointed to the millions of signatures to the petition to cancel Brexit, he said: “I know, and a lot of them are from Russia so perhaps there should be an inquiry into collusion, who’s to say?”

He went on: “Opinion polls are now very clear ... there is a big clear majority who want to leave with no deal as opposed to having an extension of any kind at all.”

Mr Farage also claimed that about 20 million people would have joined the Leave Means Leave march “in spirit”, but it was “the symbolism of it that matters”.

There is no majority in parliament for a no-deal exit, as MPs voted to delay Britain’s departure rather than crash out without a deal on 29 March.

A recent YouGov poll found 61 per cent of the population would vote to Remain rather than back Ms May’s deal if the choice was offered in a referendum while 39 per cent would opt for the existing deal.

If people were asked in a public vote whether they would prefer to remain in the EU or leave with no deal in place, Remain would still win, though by the smaller margin of 57-43 per cent.
    EU leaders agreed on Thursday night to give Ms May more time to get her deal through parliament but she is widely expected to lose a third meaningful vote.
    The prime minister also faces a Tory party losing patience with her leadership and threats that MPs could now seize control of the withdrawal process.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-nigel-farage-article-50-petition-russia-party-leave-remain-theresa-may-deal-a8834781.html
  • Options
    EvilPingu said:

That's around 20k, out of (at time of writing) 3.9m, which equals one in every two thousand signatures. Bear in mind that a fair few of those voters are going to be legitimate UK signatures using a VPN that they just haven't disabled, or people on holiday in Spain for the week when they signed the petition. Some of the non-UK votes will be using a VPN to show themselves being in the UK. So none of those figures are reliable, really.

There's going to be a fair few people signing with two or more email addresses too - I'm sure @HAYSIE has probably made about fifty new e-mail addresses just to sign the petition over and over - but I think even if you assume 5% of the signatures are illegitimate (I'll take the unders please), that's still 3.7m signatures.

Do you really think for one minute that votes from other countries, or the same name with the same postcode, or people signing using SW1A 1AA as their postcode are being accepted and just left there? They're probably 'accepted', the user gets the confirmation page, then their signature gets filtered out again behind the scenes.

That would arguably be the best way to deal with the situation from a site moderator's point of view, so that illegitimate/repeat signees think they've made their contribution and leave the site, instead of hogging the site's bandwidth or making any real effort to try to hide what they're doing.

---

Also, when discussing # of signatures, bear in mind that Gibraltar has a population of around 35k and aren't allowed to sign the petition, even though 96% of Gibraltarians that turned out to vote wanted to remain and it affects those people more than anyone in the UK. While there are certainly some illegitimate votes in there, there's also a group who voted in the referendum that aren't represented at all in that total number of signatures.
    Fair point, but only one signature, honest.
  • Options

Brexit petition CON! Thousands of signatures in Revoke Article 50 petition are OUTSIDE UK.

THOUSANDS of the 3 million names on a record-breaking petition to derail Brexit by revoking Article 50 signed the petition from outside the UK, data on the Government’s Parliamentary website has revealed. And some Remainers have even shared their own postcodes to Twitter in a bid to encourage people from around the world to add their names. One Brexiteer revealed, as an experiment, he had even used the Queen’s official residence in order to do so. The ‘Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU’ petition, launched on Wednesday night, regularly crashed the parliamentary website yesterday as thousands of signatures were added every minute.
    All signatories are required to tick a box confirming they are a British citizen or UK resident and must provide a name, email address, country and postcode.

Mr Walliams even claimed to have seen Mr Farage’s name on there, tweeting: “I have signed this petition to remain in the E.U.

“It now has over 2m signatures. I was surprised but pleased to see ⁦@Nigel_Farage⁩ ‘s name just above mine.”
    Some of the names will be undoubtedly be genuine, as any UK resident or British citizen is entitled to sign e-petitions, and they may be abroad.

Further analysis of the data suggested 2,816 people in Theresa May’s constituency had signed, 2,281 in Jacob Rees-Mogg’s constituency, and 6,798 in that of Jeremy Corbyn, despite his apparent reluctance.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103817/brexit-petition-cancel-brexit-article-50-revoke-brexit-news-latest

Desperate stuff from the remain camp , where they would actually try to manipulate a worthless petition , but still attempt to maintain the moral high ground when they spout on about brexit lies.

Nearly 4 million now.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

The shape of bananas.
    Scary, isn't it? And people voted for reasons like that.

Or no answer at all.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

The problem that you seem unable to grasp is lets just say you remoaners get your second referendum.

You win.
    But all the Brexiteers refuse to accept the result and immediately campaign for a third referendum for which a precedent has now been set. Cant have different rules just because it suits you personally.

You lose
    OMG that would be so funny and no more than you deserve.

It amazes me that all the snowflakes think that its a foregone conclusion that a second vote will prove any different. Remember for every precious entitled little darling who didn't vote for whatever reason, there were as many leavers who didn't because they thought it was pointless as the perception was that the Government being full of remain lackeys would fudge the result. The same lackeys who now lack the bottle to deliver and are intent on derailing the process.

I sincerely hope that these same people are around to clear up the mess when the streets run red as this nation descends into a Balkan style chaos.

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

I am not going to argue, but what do you think is the likely outcome?
    Think we will end up with a watered down Brexit which isn't really an exit. The gravy train will still roll for the priviledged few. Brussels will still ride roughshod over our laws (personally my biggest hate), and everyone will try and convince us that there's been real change.

Meanwhile as time goes by the EU will slowly usurp more power from us and make inroads into our way of life.

Then a few years down the line my Grandkids will say "This EU is a crock of ....." lets have a referendum to get out properly this time"

Then Guess what ????
    What is a watered down Brexit?
    Polls show remain currently has a big lead.
    If remain lost again, I would be quite happy that the electorate had been able to vote with a bit more knowledge of what Brexit entails.
    Balkan style chaos will probably mean hold ups on a few motorways.
    Farage has got less than 100 people on his Brexit Betrayal March.
    The process has been derailed for two years.
  • Options

The shape of bananas.

That says it all.
  • Options

The problem that you seem unable to grasp is lets just say you remoaners get your second referendum.

You win.
    But all the Brexiteers refuse to accept the result and immediately campaign for a third referendum for which a precedent has now been set. Cant have different rules just because it suits you personally.

You lose

It amazes me that all the snowflakes think that its a foregone conclusion that a second vote will prove any different. Remember for every precious entitled little darling who didn't vote for whatever reason, there were as many leavers who didn't because they thought it was pointless as the perception was that the Government being full of remain lackeys would fudge the result. The same lackeys who now lack the bottle to deliver and are intent on derailing the process.

I sincerely hope that these same people are around to clear up the mess when the streets run red as this nation descends into a Balkan style chaos.

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

I'm guessing you've not made 405 live political final tables?

Good point.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

So lets get some numbers perspective on this nonsense:

2016 valid votes : 33,551,983
    Leave votes : 17,410,742
    Remain votes: 16,141,241

So the latest revoke A50 petition , only around 20% ( being generous) or thereabouts of all the people who voted remain and people think this will bear weight with the government and politicians of the day.?

I would ask what nonsense you are referring to, but you are always reluctant to answer any questions, so I wont.
    The title of the thread was Petition.
    The press has pointed to it being the fastest growing petition ever.
    The no deal petition has around 3million less supporters.
    So I fail to see which bit was nonsense.

More than two million people have signed a petition calling for the government to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit.
    It has become the fastest growing petition ever created on the government’s petition website despite the service crashing several times on Thursday unable to cope with demand as people voiced their discontent for Theresa May’s plans for the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cancel-brexit-petition-two-million-theresa-may-no-deal-a8834471.html

No Deal Brexit petition explodes to 130,000 signatures

https://www.westmonster.com/no-deal-brexit-petition-explodes-to-130000-signatures/
    The signatures on the petitions compared to the number of votes that were cast in the referendum , clearly show it's a pile of hot air . You could get 10 million signatures ( how many would be genuine , is debatable) and it still won't have the desired effect .
    I believe the desired effect was to get over 100,000 so it merits a discussion in Parliament.

Sign this petition
    3,420,786 signatures

Show on a map
    Parliament will consider this for a debate
    Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate
    Well done on getting it to be discussed in the zoo . I'm sure you have watched much
    televised footage from the house , how do you think it will be received ? :D

" The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU."

Again I would ask how a petition ,so low in numbers compared to the number of people who voted in the referendum can actually demonstrate the above objective ?
    Theresa May thinks we voted for pain.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Think we will end up with a watered down Brexit which isn't really an exit. The gravy train will still roll for the priviledged few. Brussels will still ride roughshod over our laws (personally my biggest hate), and everyone will try and convince us that there's been real change.

Meanwhile as time goes by the EU will slowly usurp more power from us and make inroads into our way of life.

Then a few years down the line my Grandkids will say "This EU is a crock of ....." lets have a referendum to get out properly this time"

Then Guess what ????
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Exactly,It would just go on and on until one side gives in and I can't see that happening any time soon.
    Why do you think that people should not be allowed to change their minds?
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Then Guess what ????
    What powers have the EU usurped from you personally.
    Which inroads?
    Your Grandkids are more likely to criticise you for getting them out.
    The overwhelming majority of young people are in favour of remaining.
  • Options
    Petition
    Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.
    We are wasting Billions of pounds of taxpayers money trying to negotiate in a short space of time. Leaving the EU in March 2019 will allow the UK good time to negotiate more efficiently. The EU will be more eager to accept a deal on our terms having lost a major partner.
    ►More details
    Sign this petition
    455,668 signatures
  • Options
    Petition
    Sign this petition
    4,000,239 signatures