You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Petition.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,209
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

This petition is like 2 parents agreeing that their child eats too many sweets and coming to the conclusion the child shouldn’t eat sweets.,then one of the parents takes the child in a room and asks them, would you like some sweets?
    Of course the child says “Yes”

Really?
    That’s the way I see it yes, there is no alternative question on a petition , and this one is aimed directly at remain voters , if the petition had an opposing view to revoking it would serve better to get a true reflection of what people want.
    its now got 3 million more than no deal, and is the fastest growing petition ever.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

This petition is like 2 parents agreeing that their child eats too many sweets and coming to the conclusion the child shouldn’t eat sweets.,then one of the parents takes the child in a room and asks them, would you like some sweets?
    Of course the child says “Yes”

Really?
    That’s the way I see it yes, there is no alternative question on a petition , and this one is aimed directly at remain voters , if the petition had an opposing view to revoking it would serve better to get a true reflection of what people want.
    Its probably the most important thing our country will do in my lifetime, and to draw similarities between this and kids eating sweets is absolutely laughable.
    This is clearly about people making a decision, thinking better of it and changing their minds.
    The majority has shifted.
    People are allowed to change their minds, even in a democracy.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

This petition malarky...
    (from the BBC news site)

Has it happened before?

In 2016, an earlier petition calling for a second EU Referendum attracted 3.6m votes, but was hijacked by bots .

While the petition data (which is currently not updating) reveals that signatures are coming in from all over the world - including small numbers from Russia, China, Iran and one from North Korea where it is unlikely the page can be seen -

The BBC understands that fewer than 4% of signatures are coming from outside the UK at time of writing.

It is however not difficult to disguise or hide a location on the web.

I am sure they will knock out the dodgy ones.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

So is the answer to get rid of all politicians and let the country be governed by online petitions and facebook polls...

Sounds like a plan.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2019
    So lets get some numbers perspective on this nonsense:

2016 valid votes : 33,551,983
    Leave votes : 17,410,742
    Remain votes: 16,141,241

So the latest revoke A50 petition , only around 20% ( being generous) or thereabouts of all the people who voted remain and people think this will bear weight with the government and politicians of the day.?

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    The problem that you seem unable to grasp is lets just say you remoaners get your second referendum.

You win.
    But all the Brexiteers refuse to accept the result and immediately campaign for a third referendum for which a precedent has now been set. Cant have different rules just because it suits you personally.

You lose
    OMG that would be so funny and no more than you deserve.

It amazes me that all the snowflakes think that its a foregone conclusion that a second vote will prove any different. Remember for every precious entitled little darling who didn't vote for whatever reason, there were as many leavers who didn't because they thought it was pointless as the perception was that the Government being full of remain lackeys would fudge the result. The same lackeys who now lack the bottle to deliver and are intent on derailing the process.

I sincerely hope that these same people are around to clear up the mess when the streets run red as this nation descends into a Balkan style chaos.

British by birth
    English by the grace of God (tongue in cheek)
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

• Options

The problem that you seem unable to grasp is lets just say you remoaners get your second referendum.

You win.
    But all the Brexiteers refuse to accept the result and immediately campaign for a third referendum for which a precedent has now been set. Cant have different rules just because it suits you personally.

You lose

It amazes me that all the snowflakes think that its a foregone conclusion that a second vote will prove any different. Remember for every precious entitled little darling who didn't vote for whatever reason, there were as many leavers who didn't because they thought it was pointless as the perception was that the Government being full of remain lackeys would fudge the result. The same lackeys who now lack the bottle to deliver and are intent on derailing the process.

I sincerely hope that these same people are around to clear up the mess when the streets run red as this nation descends into a Balkan style chaos.

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

I am not going to argue, but what do you think is the likely outcome?
  • Options

So the latest revoke A50 petition , only around 20% ( being generous) or thereabouts of all the people who voted remain and people think this will bear weight with the government and politicians of the day.?

I would ask what nonsense you are referring to, but you are always reluctant to answer any questions, so I wont.
    The title of the thread was Petition.
    The press has pointed to it being the fastest growing petition ever.
    The no deal petition has around 3million less supporters.
    So I fail to see which bit was nonsense.

More than two million people have signed a petition calling for the government to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit.
    It has become the fastest growing petition ever created on the government’s petition website despite the service crashing several times on Thursday unable to cope with demand as people voiced their discontent for Theresa May’s plans for the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cancel-brexit-petition-two-million-theresa-may-no-deal-a8834471.html

No Deal Brexit petition explodes to 130,000 signatures

https://www.westmonster.com/no-deal-brexit-petition-explodes-to-130000-signatures/
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    HAYSIE said:

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Think we will end up with a watered down Brexit which isn't really an exit. The gravy train will still roll for the priviledged few. Brussels will still ride roughshod over our laws (personally my biggest hate), and everyone will try and convince us that there's been real change.

Meanwhile as time goes by the EU will slowly usurp more power from us and make inroads into our way of life.

Then a few years down the line my Grandkids will say "This EU is a crock of ....." lets have a referendum to get out properly this time"

Then Guess what ????
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Think we will end up with a watered down Brexit which isn't really an exit. The gravy train will still roll for the priviledged few. Brussels will still ride roughshod over our laws (personally my biggest hate), and everyone will try and convince us that there's been real change.

Meanwhile as time goes by the EU will slowly usurp more power from us and make inroads into our way of life.

Then a few years down the line my Grandkids will say "This EU is a crock of ....." lets have a referendum to get out properly this time"

Then Guess what ????
    Which EU laws would you get shot of first?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    HAYSIE said:

I would ask what nonsense you are referring to, but you are always reluctant to answer any questions, so I wont.

More than two million people have signed a petition calling for the government to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit.
    It has become the fastest growing petition ever created on the government’s petition website despite the service crashing several times on Thursday unable to cope with demand as people voiced their discontent for Theresa May’s plans for the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cancel-brexit-petition-two-million-theresa-may-no-deal-a8834471.html

https://www.westmonster.com/no-deal-brexit-petition-explodes-to-130000-signatures/
    The signatures on the petitions compared to the number of votes that were cast in the referendum , clearly show it's a pile of hot air . You could get 10 million signatures ( how many would be genuine , is debatable) and it still won't have the desired effect .

Also while we are on the topic , once again you are getting carried away with polls ....polls are just a snapshot in time to be taken with a very liberal pinch of salt.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

Exactly,It would just go on and on until one side gives in and I can't see that happening any time soon.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

The signatures on the petitions compared to the number of votes that were cast in the referendum , clearly show it's a pile of hot air . You could get 10 million signatures ( how many would be genuine , is debatable) and it still won't have the desired effect .
    I believe the desired effect was to get over 100,000 so it merits a discussion in Parliament.

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    3,420,786 signatures

Show on a map
    Parliament will consider this for a debate
    Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

I believe the desired effect was to get over 100,000 so it merits a discussion in Parliament.

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    3,420,786 signatures

Show on a map
    Parliament will consider this for a debate
    Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate
    Well done on getting it to be discussed in the zoo . I'm sure you have watched much
    televised footage from the house , how do you think it will be received ? :D

" The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU."

Again I would ask how a petition ,so low in numbers compared to the number of people who voted in the referendum can actually demonstrate the above objective ?
  • Options
    MasoniReefMasoniReef Member Posts: 168
    if europe is your eutopia Move there scimples another whinging remoaner post seriously respect the result and stop bleating like a baby
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,370
    I know.

Lets have a referendum on whether we should have another vote , then, lets ignore the result of that referendum.
  • Options
    Referendum of the neverendum
  • Options
    AA got trashed i want a referendum its an eu plot
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

You win.

You lose

British by birth
    Christian by choice
    European NEVER

I'm guessing you've not made 405 live political final tables?

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Which EU laws would you get shot of first?

The most common answers to this are

The colour of our passports
    The shape of bananas.