You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Essexphil's May 2019 diary

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,282
    edited May 2019

Essexphil said:

No poker Friday, as playing too much lately. That, and Hull RLFC were playing on the TV.

Saturday-not my favourite day to play online-best day to play live, though. Flopped a flush v @Haysie in the Main on here, but his set boated up on the River. No escape from that.

Did wonder if a certain Welsh gentleman was also playing on 888-had a guy called "Brexitmyarse" on my table :)

Small profit due to a win in a small game on Coral.

Sunday makes or breaks the week for most online poker players-let's see what tomorrow brings.

Gotta ask how you are a Hull F.C fan with an alias of Essexphil. Only ask coz I travel to Cas about 8 times a season to cheer on ye Fords.

Of course away games with the exception of F.C., K.R, Larnden and Catalans are all closer to Stoke than the home games.

Least since the move away from the old ground all that stupid egg chucking has stopped lol.

All together now "We all hate Leeds, we all hate Leeds etc.

Tours in sport

Mark
    All due to the likes of Lee Crooks and Peter Sterling. I might be a Southerner, but London Broncos (in all its guises) was never for me.

Once you've got a team, important to stick with it, through thick and thin. And Hull have given me plenty of both.

Leeds are shocking this year. Enjoyed Bradford Bulls yesterday ;)
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Essexphil said:

No poker Friday, as playing too much lately. That, and Hull RLFC were playing on the TV.

Saturday-not my favourite day to play online-best day to play live, though. Flopped a flush v @Haysie in the Main on here, but his set boated up on the River. No escape from that.

Did wonder if a certain Welsh gentleman was also playing on 888-had a guy called "Brexitmyarse" on my table :)

Small profit due to a win in a small game on Coral.

Sunday makes or breaks the week for most online poker players-let's see what tomorrow brings.

Standard Sunday outlay? Biggest ever outlay?
    Sunday outlays vary enormously, due to finances and form. I am self-funded, and a big fault many backed players have is that they ignore form, and the extra innate confidence that can accompany it.

Sunday might be as little as £300. Typically, probably £1,000 (and will be about that today). Occasionally, nearer £10,000, but rarely.
  • Options

How do you find Sundays generally?

I know it's always traditionally been the biggest day of the week for online MTT's, but do you find that has a positive or negative effect on the overall strength of the fields?

Also, would love to see a diary of month in the life of @MattBates. Any chance of ever indulging us mere mortals Matt?

Bigger wins, and bigger losses. A Sunday is probably the same as the rest of the week combined.

The fields are generally of a similar standard, except the bigger fields, which tend to be weaker.

Matt is (of course) an excellent player. While a diary would make an excellent read (particularly for me), it might not have the highs and lows you might expect.

In footballing terms, Matt is a Premiership footballer. He chooses (like me) to play in mostly Championship-quality (mid-stakes) fields, in his case almost exclusively on Sky. He chooses (quite rightly, IMO) to concentrate on consistently making good money, rather than seeking life-changing money. And that money is, I expect, his to keep.

I know quite a few pros, and they are almost all backed. Everyone sees the £Million score, but don't see the 50% going to the backers, or the £1million in Makeup that many regularly have. Not a life for me. Many have turnover superior to either of us. But most do not make (net) the money I do, never mind Matt...
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I know it's always traditionally been the biggest day of the week for online MTT's, but do you find that has a positive or negative effect on the overall strength of the fields?

Also, would love to see a diary of month in the life of @MattBates. Any chance of ever indulging us mere mortals Matt?

It's be great, I agree.

Think we should have a poll to decide what to call it.

The here's what I won today Diary.

Or a book.

"The Dreams I Crushed", by Matt "2-Outer" Bates :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,076
    Essexphil said:

Bigger wins, and bigger losses. A Sunday is probably the same as the rest of the week combined.

The fields are generally of a similar standard, except the bigger fields, which tend to be weaker.

Matt is (of course) an excellent player. While a diary would make an excellent read (particularly for me), it might not have the highs and lows you might expect.

In footballing terms, Matt is a Premiership footballer. He chooses (like me) to play in mostly Championship-quality (mid-stakes) fields, in his case almost exclusively on Sky. He chooses (quite rightly, IMO) to concentrate on consistently making good money, rather than seeking life-changing money. And that money is, I expect, his to keep.

I know quite a few pros, and they are almost all backed. Everyone sees the £Million score, but don't see the 50% going to the backers, or the £1million in Makeup that many regularly have. Not a life for me. Many have turnover superior to either of us. But most do not make (net) the money I do, never mind Matt...

That's so true. It's staggering, isn't it?

I've known numerous lads in 6 figure make-up, it defies belief.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Think Matt would look lovely in makeup.
  • Options

Think Matt would look lovely in makeup.

Already wears high heels :)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

I doubt it would that exciting.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    I understand the benefit of selling action to a big live event, especially at mark up, or being staked if you receive coaching in return. Also understand that folks can end up in tough spots financially and staking can help whilst they sort themselves out.

What I've never understood is why people sell action or get backed for low stakes tournaments online with no mark up or no coaching deal (there are plenty of such players if you search 2p2). Why would you want to play, for example, a 22 with 50% of yourself when you could just play 11s with all of yourself and softer fields?

Not preaching, just presume I'm missing something.

Sorry for derail - glgl this Sunday :) Also... 10k in buy ins on a Sunday!!! SCOOP or similar?
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2019
    MattBates said:

I doubt it would that exciting.
    Last year I spent some time blogging about about my mission to win a £2.20 deepstack. Once I'd achieved this remarkable feat, I celebrated by buying a new pair of slippers.

I clearly have a very low threshold when it comes to excitement :D
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

I understand the benefit of selling action to a big live event, especially at mark up, or being staked if you receive coaching in return. Also understand that folks can end up in tough spots financially and staking can help whilst they sort themselves out.

What I've never understood is why people sell action or get backed for low stakes tournaments online with no mark up or no coaching deal (there are plenty of such players if you search 2p2). Why would you want to play, for example, a 22 with 50% of yourself when you could just play 11s with all of yourself and softer fields?

Sorry for derail - glgl this Sunday :) Also... 10k in buy ins on a Sunday!!! SCOOP or similar?

A potential reason is some people want to build up a reputation for selling so they can sell to bigger events down the line. I agree though it doesn't seem to make much sense though.
  • Options

The theory originally was that you win something big, and then get sponsored by a site. That idea might have had legs in 2006, but not now. I'm sure staking works for some, but definitely not for me.

I don't play SCOOP. I have never run well on Stars-suspect that I am too old to navigate the size of field-it takes too long. There are plenty of big buy-in MTTs elsewhere, and many have both smaller fields and either less levels or shorter levels.
  • Options
    Tonight did not start well. Within first 10 minutes had busted out of 2 MTTs. A5 v 105 on a A 10 5 flop, and with AJss on a 3 spade flop. Mr AA hit runner-runner for a House.

Sucked out on for the 3rd week in a row in a final qualifier for the Unibet Open later this month-destined to miss that one.

Small win on Coral (same MTT as yesterday), but with just 1 Tourny left, heading for a loss. Still, the 1 left is the Main on here. 14/45 at the minute. Think I need 6th to break even.
  • Options
    Boo. 39th. Delicate mixture of run bad and poor play :)
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,470
    Essexphil said:

Tonight did not start well. Within first 10 minutes had busted out of 2 MTTs. A5 v 105 on a A 10 5 flop, and with AJss on a 3 spade flop. Mr AA hit runner-runner for a House.

Sucked out on for the 3rd week in a row in a final qualifier for the Unibet Open later this month-destined to miss that one.

Small win on Coral (same MTT as yesterday), but with just 1 Tourny left, heading for a loss. Still, the 1 left is the Main on here. 14/45 at the minute. Think I need 6th to break even.

Spat my coffee out. Comic genius.
  • Options

Nice balance to this Diary, a relaxing read, well done Phil, keep it coming.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Brutal game, sometimes.

Playing a $88, $40k guaranteed on GG Poker earlier. Made great start, think I was 5/400 after an hour, up to 220k from starting stack of 50k. Lost a 100k pot to someone who 4-bet shoved on me. With 9 5 off. My AKs wasn't that big a favourite. Next orbit all-in when someone with KK shoved to my AA, and...well, you know the rest ;)

Just left in 1-currently 16/16 in a $10k guaranteed $31.50 Bounty Hunter on GG. Had their sponsored pro, Bryan Paris, on my right for most of it. Rather easier than having him on my left ;)
  • Options
    Tuesday was uneventful (CODE: "grim" ;), and made the wise decision to watch Leeds v Derby instead yesterday. Cracking game.

Back on it now.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,388
    Essexphil said:

Tuesday was uneventful (CODE: "grim" ;), and made the wise decision to watch Leeds v Derby instead yesterday. Cracking game.

Back on it now.

Cracking game tonight.

Leeds 8 Castleford 30

Keep the diary coming
  • Options

How is the new dog settling in Phil?

Does exercising it fall to you? If so, must be great for the weight-loss efforts.