You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Video Assistant Referee.

Comments

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

VAR officials appear to have decided that City aren't going to win the league this season.
    No doubt Dr Teeth and his media darlings will get more than their fair share though.

And the hand ball rule is just ridiculous.
    Different rules for attacking teams and defending teams is just so wrong.

I've always liked you Dragon :)
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,028

I thought the whole purpose of VAR was to eliminate the referees mistakes.Also how can Mike Riley say that this weekend VAR will intervene and tell the refs to change their decisions,has he got a crystal ball or something.I Think I'll be betting on yellow/red cards this weekend.

• Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited September 2019
    I don't understand this decision.

The only part that seems closer to the goal is the arm. I thought it was only parts of the body that can legitimately score a goal that count. In any event, there needs to be an equivalent amount of leeway to "umpires call". The 3 minutes it took is also ridiculous.

Since the fortunate decision v City, Spurs have been repeatedly hammered by VAR. When Lineker says Leicester shouldn't have got this, must be true!
  • Options
  • Options
    30 minutes into todays games and already 3 debatable decisions.
  • Options
    5501355013 Member Posts: 336
    Been a football fan for over 40 years and i really dislike VAR, it is spoiling football imo, i believe that some decisions go against you one week then you move on to the next game and things usually balance out over time. They are talking about it getting used more and more in the near future and i hope that will not be the case as i personally find it really boring.
  • Options
    Yet more f**k ups today from VAR.

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    I haven't seen the decision but I was watching Soccer Saturday where Tommo said the ball hit his arm? Is this true? If so then why wasn't it disallowed like the Man City goal a few weeks back?
  • Options
    Yeah, caught highlights on my phone. How can that goal stand?! What is the point in
    VAR when there is no consistency with the decisions?
  • Options
    There's more chance of Boris getting a deal through parliament than VAR being consistent... :D .
  • Options
    How Watford weren't awarded a penalty for Vertonghen's 'tackle' in the penalty box I don't know.In the 9 weeks of VAR not once has the referee gone to and used the pitch side monitors,so what's the point of having them,it's all a complete farce.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    For me, that was shoulder more than arm. Not one watford player appealed for handball. How Watford weren't awarded a penalty I'll never know, embarrassing decision.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Ultimately it didn't matter but we were denied a clear penalty yesterday at Palace.

I just don't understand the point of VAR if it isn't gonna step in on clear penalties that a ref may miss, but will flag an attacker up as offside if they have a pubic hair ahead of the last defender.
  • Options
    I was surprised to hear that not once this season has the referee gone to review the footage for himself on the pitchside monitors.
  • Options

Ultimately it didn't matter but we were denied a clear penalty yesterday at Palace.

I just don't understand the point of VAR if it isn't gonna step in on clear penalties that a ref may miss, but will flag an attacker up as offside if they have a pubic hair ahead of the last defender.

Exactly,I thought that was one of the main reasons for having it in the first place.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

I was surprised to hear that not once this season has the referee gone to review the footage for himself on the pitchside monitors.

Apparently they don't want the refs to do that where possible as they think it will slow the game down.

Which is lol cos sometimes we have delays of 3+ minutes when reviewing a goal.

I'd much rather, when a potentially big decision needs to be made (like awarding a penalty or a possible red card etc) see a referee consult the monitor so they have the best tools to come to the correct decision. If it takes a minute or 2 then so be it.

VAR could be so simple and so useful; instead the way it is being used is harming the game rather than improving it.
  • Options
    The refs consult the monitors enough in the Champions League without it interfering too much. And in one of the games yesterday the team was just about to kick off after a goal when VAR got involved and the goal was wiped out,how long did that decision take!!!