You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,408
    Delighted to read the surgery went well. A positive at this awful time for you all.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,373
    Jac35 said:

Penny had her surgery on Friday and it went well.
    She’s now got a month of recovery before she starts radiotherapy.
    I’ve just dropped Harry off as she’s feeling well enough to have him and he wants to see his Mum too.

I played a bit last night and it wasn’t going very well. But then I won the megastack and got a huge bit of luck in my last £22 dym and ended up £170 up on the night so that’s ok.

No poker tonight as I have a friend coming over and we’re both off work tomorrow so we may have a couple of drinks

Great news.

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,028
    Pleased it went well Paul. Hope her recovery is a speedy one.
  • Options
    wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,527
    Bring the DYM challenge back,it was always popular.
    I cannot remember why it stopped.
    I always have a few games, nearly every day,after I finish MTTs
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,482
    wynne1938 said:

Bring the DYM challenge back,it was always popular.
    I cannot remember why it stopped.
    I always have a few games, nearly every day,after I finish MTTs

Good to see you post Wynne
    Always nice when the regular readers come on here.
  • Options
    Ta for the other comments chaps

I played a bit last night.
    Won a few dyms and then stayed into the main quite luckily. Seat bubble and someone made a big mistake when i was very much the short stack.

Came 4th and took loads of heads along the way as @goldnballz noted in the chatbox

Due to being seriously outclassed I decided to employ major laddering skills with about 12 left.
    Had no hands and just nitted up.
    With 4 left i had 3 bigs and then suddenly i had 25 and was back in it although still the short stack

I opened 10 9ss on the button and saw a pleasant 10 5 6 flop with 2 spades on it.
    Less pleasant was that he’d flopped a straight

Enjoyed it though and it was a nice little boost to the lowly bankroll

No poker tonight as i’m off to see Last Christmas. When told we’re going, Kicking and screaming....will be Melissa

Got the boy over the weekend so probably not a lot of poker. Maybe i’ll play a little after he’s gone to sleep tomorrow night. Pirate party on Sunday. Harry has a great costume
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Jac35 said:

Won a few dyms and then stayed into the main quite luckily. Seat bubble and someone made a big mistake when i was very much the short stack.

Came 4th and took loads of heads along the way as @goldnballz noted in the chatbox

Due to being seriously outclassed I decided to employ major laddering skills with about 12 left.
    With 4 left i had 3 bigs and then suddenly i had 25 and was back in it although still the short stack

I opened 10 9ss on the button and saw a pleasant 10 5 6 flop with 2 spades on it.

No poker tonight as i’m off to see Last Christmas. When told we’re going, Kicking and screaming....will be Melissa

Got the boy over the weekend so probably not a lot of poker. Maybe i’ll play a little after he’s gone to sleep tomorrow night. Pirate party on Sunday. Harry has a great costume

Some effort that!

Congrats on the 4th place. Maybe you can do well in £33bh mains!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    MattBates said:

Jac35 said:

Some effort that!

Congrats on the 4th place. Maybe you can do well in £33bh mains!
    I know!
    Bloodyy unlucky to lose to a flopped straight on that board ;)
    My hand histories are as accurate as ever it seems

I’ll try again
  • Options
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    ozzieowen Small blind 3000.00 3000.00 361345.38
    SzaryPolak Big blind 6000.00 9000.00 168937.52
    Your hole cards

5kids Fold
    Jac35 Raise 12000.00 21000.00 148173.44
    ozzieowen Fold
    SzaryPolak Call 6000.00 27000.00 162937.52
    Flop

SzaryPolak Bet 11000.00 38000.00 151937.52
    Jac35 Raise 40000.00 78000.00 108173.44
    SzaryPolak All-in 151937.52 229937.52 0.00
    Jac35 All-in 108173.44 338110.96 0.00
    SzaryPolak Unmatched bet 14764.08 323346.88 14764.08
    SzaryPolak Show
    Jac35 Show
    Turn

Q

River

Q

SzaryPolak Win Straight to the 9 323346.88 338110.96
    CLOSE
    COPY
    NEXT
  • Options
    Well played last night. I planned on railing until the end but my internet crashed.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Interesting when he donk leads.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Interesting when he donk leads.

We just trying to get it in there?
    My raise is too big but i’m thinking against this player it gives me the best chance of getting all in on the flop.
  • Options
    Found some good waffle from Tikay on an old thread of mine

That Sunday Night £100 rebuy was something else.

The cardroom - a very nice cardroom, totally self-enclosed - was great, though in those days, people could smoke indoors, & our eyes used to stream from the smoke.

That Monthly £100 rebuy used to get as many as 130 runners. The structure, by present day standards, was horrific, 2,000 chips & a 30 minute clock, but it was what we were used to then, these days players have SUCH better Tournament structures.

Much of that was down to APAT, & I'm very proud of what we achieved in APAT for smaller buy-in players. I recently resigned my position as APAT Chairman, due to a commercial conflict of interest with their new partner, Matt Dale, who has helped them open an Online Cardroom, so because of my position with Sky, I felt it best that I resigned. Shame really, but for purposes of transparency it was the right thing to do. When my tenure here ends, I shall return to work with APAT, for sure.

The first time I ever played that £100 rebuy (I know, I'm boring folks now, but I blame you), arose because I had won two £10 or £20 Freezeouts in that Cardroom in Colyer Street Derby.

The mere thought of paying £100 to play a poker tournament blew me away. I mean, one hundred pounds!

I kept thinking, if my Dad were alive, he's think I'd lost the plot. He'd probably have given me a good hiding, too.

Anyway, I coughed up the £100, ran like Mo Farah, (I was a nit even then, but the tortoise very often beats the hare), & somehow luckboxed my way to the Final Table. I mean, this was like, "Wow"! to me then - there was about £4,000 to the winner, I could barely believe it was happening.

I still know 5 or 6 of the players from that first £100 Final, more on which shortly.

Anyway, 6 handed, a deal is proposed, "business". An offer of £900 each or whatever was made by a Sheffield lad named (xxx) who was as bent as a nine bob note, though of course I never knew that at the time. £900. NINE HUNDRED POUNDS. My eyes glazed over, imagine winning £900 in a Poker Tourney, never been so excited in my life!

I readily agreed, as did most others. Yum yum yum, £900.

And then, at that very moment, an almost life-changing thing happened.........

there was a kid sat at the other end of the Final Table, I sort of knew him vaguely, but never knew his name, we'd shared Tables most of the Tourney though.

"Tony - it is Tony, right?" he says.

Yeah yeah.

"You are getting a really bad deal there mate".

I am?

"Sure you are. It's up to you, but if I were you, I'd ask for £1,300".

Why?

"Because your chip equity is MUCH better than £900. You'd be better to play on if you are only offered £900".

My chip WHAT? I mean, what is THAT for goodness sake?

Anyway, he looked a decent sort, he smiled easily, & made good eye-contact, & I sort of thought "he seems honest & straight, I'll do what he says".

So I refused the deal, we played on for a bit, & I eventually ended up getting £1,600. Top bloke that kid, eh?

His name was Julian Thew.

Thewy & I became mates, & travelled Europe playing the poker. There was another lad too, Ian Oldershaw, "Belly" was his nick, & the 3 of us went everywhere together, & we all swapped 10% every Tourney.

I genuinely thought I was the best player of the trio. Amazing how we become deluded, eh?

Thewy started playing bigger Tourneys, & I started backing him, buying as much as 50% of him in big events.

He was well-lairy back then, with no gears, & he regularly amassed huge stacks then spewed them off just short of the Final. He made the Final of an EPT at The Vic as Chip Leader, & finished 9th, after John Duthie bust him in two consecutive hands. Both hands were identical - A-K v 10-10, Thewy had the A-K the first time, & Tens the next, & lost both flips. Ugh.
  • Options

Blimey. Got a date for that piece Paul? Must have been a very long time ago.

"When my tenure here ends, I shall return to work with APAT, for sure."

Not sure that still stands, as I never expected to be here remotely as long as this.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Blimey. Got a date for that piece Paul? Must have been a very long time ago.

"When my tenure here ends, I shall return to work with APAT, for sure."

Not sure that still stands, as I never expected to be here remotely as long as this.

December 2012
  • Options

Not that long ago then. Still, a lot has changed in those 7 years. The TV Channel was still 7 nights a week in 2012 at a guess.
  • Options
    Played a bit last night

Dym traffic was good even at £22s
    Ran pretty well, including a misclick call on the bubble with 45 which won, and i made £80 in a couple or so hours at them.

Bust a few mtts but came 3rd in the megastack for another £57 so an ok night all in all
    No poker tonight as i have a friend over
    A few drinks and we’re watching an all time classic, Assassins :)

I’ve done the 30 day free trial on Amazon for the football.
    I thought it was ok the other night although it buffered at first.

I’ve started watching the City documentary. It seems really good

I think the Leeds one is on there too. I’m going to leave that for a few days before i savour the play off episode :)

Anything else worth watching on there?
    Maybe new investment in Derby imminently.
    Perfect timing for some expensive flops to be bought in January ;)
  • Options

So, how did last night's poker go, Grumps?
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Still toss at MTT's I see ;)
  • Options
    Well played last night. Good to see :)