You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Operation Unicorn - the diary of PKRPar to win a main event

Comments

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    PKRPar said:

madprof said:

PKRPar said:

Happy New Year all,

I've toy'd with the idea of keeping a forum diary before and never quite went for it, mainly because I play for fun and while I have the dream of proper bankroll management, the thought of just playing £5.50 bounty hunters or less for a prolonged period of time does not enthuse me (< Is there a way to change that?)

Anyway I've played on Sky for a number of years now and although i've come close (3rd my best I think), i've never won a main event despite playing 1 or 2 a week. This is something i'd love to do and with each entry comes the hope of achieving that. I've decided to start this diary style thread to monitor my main performance and will try and update it after each attempt. Interesting things I'd like to record; entry fees, bounty's taken, cashes and best finish to date. < is there anything else you think I should keep track off?

I'll start tonight having sat'd into the main via a frenzy.

Oh, and why operation unicorn? Mainly because, sadly, unicorns don't exist....

Say hi and donate your chips to the operation if you're on my table!

Just a thought/clarification? @PKRPar What constitutes a main event??
    Usually the 8pm £33 buy in main event, unless during UKOPS or if I was lucky enough top sat into a £110 number. The main event on a Sunday if I can get the time to play will be the £33 7.30pm job.

I'll try to always post when an "attempt" is being made before I start the tourney. Didn't get on the laptop till now so didn't get the chance to play today's £33 main event.
    ok, cheers...gl...from my point of view I would say whatever is the high value event of the night(except Sunday when there are 2 main events, £12 and 6k)..I won the 6k avenger (once and a long time ago now..) so I'm claiming it as a 'main event' win as it won't happen again!

If you only play one a week, i reckon you'll win one in about 9 or so weeks? ;)
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    madprof said:

PKRPar said:

madprof said:

PKRPar said:

Happy New Year all,

I've toy'd with the idea of keeping a forum diary before and never quite went for it, mainly because I play for fun and while I have the dream of proper bankroll management, the thought of just playing £5.50 bounty hunters or less for a prolonged period of time does not enthuse me (< Is there a way to change that?)

Anyway I've played on Sky for a number of years now and although i've come close (3rd my best I think), i've never won a main event despite playing 1 or 2 a week. This is something i'd love to do and with each entry comes the hope of achieving that. I've decided to start this diary style thread to monitor my main performance and will try and update it after each attempt. Interesting things I'd like to record; entry fees, bounty's taken, cashes and best finish to date. < is there anything else you think I should keep track off?

Usually the 8pm £33 buy in main event, unless during UKOPS or if I was lucky enough top sat into a £110 number. The main event on a Sunday if I can get the time to play will be the £33 7.30pm job.

I'll try to always post when an "attempt" is being made before I start the tourney. Didn't get on the laptop till now so didn't get the chance to play today's £33 main event.
    ok, cheers...gl...from my point of view I would say whatever is the high value event of the night(except Sunday when there are 2 main events, £12 and 6k)..I won the 6k avenger (once and a long time ago now..) so I'm claiming it as a 'main event' win as it won't happen again!

Wouldn't mind sharing your next main event table. It's like starting with a double stack ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
    PKRPar said:

madprof said:

PKRPar said:

madprof said:

PKRPar said:

Happy New Year all,

Wouldn't mind sharing your next main event table. It's like starting with a double stack ;)

Ooh, get in there son.

• Options
    BlackpumaBlackpuma Member Posts: 203
    Enut said:

madprof said:

mumsie said:

PKRPar said:

Attempt 3 starts tonight.

@waller02 will hopefully be sweating any near wins tonight :)

Very professional.
    Blackpuma's gonna wait a long time for his/her payout if their guess 3 is correct?

GL tonight
    Surely the only way their guess 3 wins is if OP dies, gets banned from Sky, gives up poker (and declares he will never win a ME), or the ME event ceases to exist. Looks like an outside bet to me at best.
    Enut, I believe I said he gives up before he wins it if you look at my post on page 2 obviously thinking about the expense 😎 which I think it's quite plausible as a 3rd guess but good luck Pkr hope I'm wrong
  • Options
    BlackpumaBlackpuma Member Posts: 203
    mumsie said:

PKRPar said:

Attempt 3 starts tonight.

@waller02 will hopefully be sweating any near wins tonight :)

Very professional.
    Mumsie can you change my 3rd entry to " gives up" from never plz as my post states 👍 cheers
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,292
    pompeynic said:

Just stumbled across this, if it’s ok to still guess I will go for 52, 62 and 99 please.
    Very best of luck, there is nothing quite like the joy of seeing the screen say
    You came 1st next to the picture of the little trophy.

Any chance someone can post a screen shot of this, you know just for my own reference purposes, so I know what it looks like.
  • Options
    'Enut, I believe I said he gives up before he wins it if you look at my post on page 2 obviously thinking about the expense 😎 which I think it's quite plausible as a 3rd guess but good luck Pkr hope I'm wrong'

I discounted that option as I am sure @PKRPar will not ever give up on his quest. It might turn out to be an epic journey of Lord of the Rings proportions, but I have every confidence OP has the cahones to win through.
  • Options
    Enut said:

pompeynic said:

Just stumbled across this, if it’s ok to still guess I will go for 52, 62 and 99 please.

Any chance someone can post a screen shot of this, you know just for my own reference purposes, so I know what it looks like.
    @Enut

;)

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

Enut said:

pompeynic said:

@Enut

;)

Ah, now I remember, I knew I'd seen it in the dim and distant past.
  • Options
    I will definitely take a screenshot of the win should it occur.

I'll change the spreadsheet @Blackpuma :)

I don't think it will be a case of me giving up, it may be more gaps/time between attempts of the main event though. Writing it down in text (the amount spent) is a little eye opening thats for sure. Hopefully i can start scopping some bounties and cashes a long the way to reduce that :)
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    ^ Where did you get that from @Tikay10 ? 😄
  • Options
    bbMike said:

Bang out of order @bbMike, no need for that, no need at all.
  • Options
    bbMike said:

I would imagine someone sent it to him by pm
  • Options
    Enut said:

bbMike said:

I would imagine someone sent it to him by pm
    @Enut

I stole it from google images, but don't tell @bbMike.
  • Options
    Attempt 4 about to start. GLGL ME, and @DustoLucko
  • Options
    PKRPar said:

onto the next one...zzzzz

will do a write up later!
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    PKRPar said:

PKRPar said:

onto the next one...zzzzz

will do a write up later!
    IF I KNEW YOU WANTED LESSONS ON HOW TO DIP OUT OF A TOURNEY EARLY, YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID...I'M AN EXPERT!! GL FOR NO 5!
  • Options
    So attempt 4 pretty much went similat to attempt 1, 2 and 3.

Interesting hand here though which ultimately let to my demise. I snap called it off and wonder if in hindsight this is completely wrong.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    PKRParSmall blind40.0040.0010286.25
    carpente03Big blind80.00120.002860.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • K
    easty16179Fold
    TimmyRaRaFold
    SoLackRaise160.00280.007170.00
    LARSON7Fold
    PKRParRaise600.00880.009686.25
    carpente03Fold
    SoLackCall480.001360.006690.00
    Flop
    • K
    PKRParBet560.001920.009126.25
    SoLackAll-in6690.008610.000.00
    PKRParCall6130.0014740.002996.25
    PKRParShow
    • A
    • K
    SoLackShow
    Turn
    River
    SoLackWinTwo Pairs, 7s and 6s14740.0014740.00
    It's easier looking back given what @SoLack had, but when the shove comes back at me, is this a spot where he can only really have two pair? A set would surely call and allow me to hang myself. KQ or KX would either call my raise or re-raise without going all in? Is it either a bluff or the two pair shown? Food for thought.

Would be interested to hear any views.
  • Options
    The Stats

Attempt 5 included a sat attempt and 2 bullets. 1 min bounty in return.

buyins = £258
    cashes = £0
    bounties obtained = £37.50
    best finish to date = 63rd - Attempt 2 4 January 2020

Total spent in operation unicorn = -£220.50

Actually looking at those figures is a little eye opening, and I may take it back a bit and only play if I can sat in.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm counting the sat money as buyins, but not as attempts. Attempts will only count/start for the event itself.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 866
    edited January 2020
    Tough one. On the face of it the only value he has is 66, 77, maybe 67 if he calls the 3bet to that (probs fair enough this deep), ak and aa, both of which you block and will be often 4betted pre, so not a load of combos.

Then bluffs. Ermmm. 89? Which will often just be flatted on the flop...that’s basically it haha. Against a fish you can call cos he probs has some spews and worse kx but Solack isn’t a fish so I’m really struggling to see what we actually beat here. In saying all that I’d find it very very tough in game to actually find the fold, as we are way up in our range