You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Covid 19 UK.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,213
  • Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,027
    This Government has no clue about how to contain the virus.
    It persists in ignoring local factors, and its "one-size-fits-all" approach is hopeless.

Let's use my local area as an example. I live in the Tendring Peninsula, an area East of Colchester. Population? 140.000-plus. Mostly rural, but also seaside towns such as Clacton, Frinton and Walton, plus the port of Harwich.

The population of Tendring, as in many peninsulas, tends to be a lot less willing to travel than other areas, although it does attract holidaymakers to the seaside/port.

The TOTAL number of new cases of Covid in Tendring last week? 1. One single person. Amongst 140,000 people. Over 130 square miles.

The Government reaction? Restrictions placed upon people living in Tendring? Loads.
    Restrictions on people from outside journeying into Tendring? None.

If this really is "following the science" we need new scientists.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    They don't know what to do, you have so many so called experts giving different advice, scenarios, but a lot of it seems to be guess work, I've decide to stop reading the papers and get drunk for the foreseeable future and stop when it's all rosey in the garden again, cheers.
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    rabdeniro said:

They don't know what to do, you have so many so called experts giving different advice, scenarios, but a lot of it seems to be guess work, I've decide to stop reading the papers and get drunk for the foreseeable future and stop when it's all rosey in the garden again, cheers.

best way to go rab
  • Options
    RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    your right as ensrI think the whole fiasco stinks more than a week old fish down the back of a radiator!

I'm not just talking about the government's handling of the situation. Ask yourselves how you'd have responded in an impossible situation. I also mean how the data is collected and colated from all countries. There is so much BS I doubt that we'll ever really kknow the full extent (or lack of it) that Covid has had on the death rate.

I'll explain what I mean a little more. You see it's all very well bandying about numbers that have no meaning to any of us so how does the government respond? They respond by saying "Go out by all means but can you live with knowing you've killed granny?".

Not really very grown up at all and it plays on people's fears and weaknesses. It also gives a government cart blanche to do as it pleases as we've seen by the draconian measures that they've placed on us all over the last 5 months. We're still no closer to a cure, which btw as a mutating virus is something we will always be playing catch up on.

As for the figures, well I for one don't believe them for a minute. Yes it's an extremely virulent disease that often proves fatal in the old and those with SERIOUS underlying medical conditions. The vast majority of people who have contracted it have come out of the other end relativley unscathed. Yes there are people who now have serious lung problems but has anyone actually seen a figure as to the percentage affected?

I don't believe the figures for another reason. Say granny (the government seem to like using her so I'll stick with the theme) is stuck in that nursing home that you DON'T go to very often. She's in her 80's, has a heart condition is and is a barmy as a fruit cake. She hardly eats anything adn is 7 stone wringing wet. Now ask yourself this, was it covid that killed her or a combination of fragilty bought on by old age?

True to say that Covid was the icing on the cake but let's be honest wit each other here folks, unfortunately people in her demographic and suffering from those conditions aren't long for this world are they?

Yet here we are, all locked in our houses again because 3% of the population, the same 3% that would most likely be gone by the end of the year anyway, might catch Covid.

I'm not some cold hearted monster either. I lost my mom to cancer when she was just 58. Spent endless nights and days with my family sitting with her for the 3 months she was in hospital before her untimely passing. What I am calling for though is a little common sense from the higher ups.

I've said from day one there are 3 options to deal with this effectively.

1) Ban ALL international travel, including economic migration. Those flouting this rule be removed from UK soil and waters with immediate effect. The issue a general allert to supermarkets making it mandatory for them to supply every household with food for a 90 period of National Emergency.

Now we've already seen that this has failed misserably. People flout the stay at home order and for an island we have one of the most porous borders on the planet.

2) Accept that this is now the way of the world and if you're in a relationship be thankful because if you're not there's no way you can meet anyone right now. (May explain the early rush for loo rol

3) Do like the Americans are doing, ignore the government asn carry on as usually because it's you right as an American Citizen to do as you **** well please and stuff grandma.

Last one was a bit tongue in cheek but if you look at the figures for the USA the numbers are massive but so is the country. The important thing I think to bear in mind is that they do NOT have an NHS, have extremely high rates of obesity and the health problems that go with it along with an ageing population. Their overall death rate from confirmed cases runs at 3%. Ours on the other hand runs at 10%

If you want some real cloud cuckoo land figures, China has reported 89,986 cases from which 5.3% have proved to be fatal. This from a coutry that just loves being open and honest and doesn't oppress its people at all.

So I say let's all start being honest about the true numbers here, who's affected and how. Then put systems in place to help in those areas but for the love of god stop with the fear mongering, heavy handesness and plain old emotional blackmail so we can all start to get on with our lives again.

• Options
    Furious Pret founder savages Boris for 'spouting Churchillian nonsense' while his WFH call and 'criminal' six-month curbs risk 'MILLIONS' of jobs - but thousands battle to offices for sake of economy

A multi-millionaire who once headed a taskforce for Prime Minister Boris Johnson today savaged him for 'spouting Churchillian nonsense' and his 'criminal' six-month work from home bid. Pret a Manger founder and Itsu boss Julian Metcalfe - who has an estimated £215million fortune - described last night's speech as a 'man sitting down with his Union Jack talking utter nonsense'. And in a further furious broadside he slated his 'exaggerated nonsense' before adding he feared Mr Johnson's plans would see millions of jobs lost. It came as tens of thousands of Britons defied the Prime Minister's call to avoid the office today as they headed back to work (left) to save the economy. Tube lines (top right) and overground stations (Waterloo, bottom right) were at the same levels as before the PM' announcement.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited September 2020
    Essexphil said:

It persists in ignoring local factors, and its "one-size-fits-all" approach is hopeless.

Let's use my local area as an example. I live in the Tendring Peninsula, an area East of Colchester. Population? 140.000-plus. Mostly rural, but also seaside towns such as Clacton, Frinton and Walton, plus the port of Harwich.

The population of Tendring, as in many peninsulas, tends to be a lot less willing to travel than other areas, although it does attract holidaymakers to the seaside/port.

The TOTAL number of new cases of Covid in Tendring last week? 1. One single person. Amongst 140,000 people. Over 130 square miles.

The Government reaction? Restrictions placed upon people living in Tendring? Loads.

Let’s go back to Wuhan.
    They had a total lockdown,with special permission to be even out on the street as law.
    This involved about 11M folks.
    The area was broken up into sectors, with teams set up to visit all dwellings,then each person was firstly tested for a temperature. They were taken out of the communities if they were suspected of being unwell,not just running a temperature.
    Lorry drivers or anyone in a vehicle was also tested.
    Eventually after 3 months, nearly all cases were out of the community and isolated in those hospitals they hastily erected.
    That’s not going to happen anywhere else in the world. Spain came close to that, but as the numbers show below,it made little difference, apart from protecting their hospitals.
    Countries have to live with the virus, cases and deaths up, cases and deaths down.
    There’s no magic bullet.
    The Government,imo, won’t be too bothered about anything other than putting restrictions on areas, which they will reluctantly be forced to do. The economy ticking over is far more important.
    For example, if you followed the news when Boris was ill in hospital, the advisors or his cabinet didn’t show much concern. So that says a lot about being concerned about any individuals of Joe public.
    They can only give advice,that advice is never going to rid the virus.
    As for that particular area with just one case,there’s no smoke without fire, so there’s likely more cases.In fact, I bet if every body got tested on a certain day, you’d likely find 100K plus cases in the U.K. I’d guess the restrictions in that area won’t be followed by everybody anyway.
    Go back to the pub that had that Infra shot of those folks crammed in the beer garden, if you’d asked the landlady or landlord what’s going on, they’d likely say they were too busy pulling pints.
    If these businesses don’t take more responsibility, then they can shoot themselves in the foot,same with their customers.
    I don’t think there’s the remotest possibility of vehicles/ travellers being checked driving from one area to another. I think it would be better for councils to have their own teams running things on their own patch.
    Learning to live with the virus and take more responsibility is the way forward.
    @HAYSIES post, I bet the rich are pi ssed, it’s the levelling down, not up.
    Even the wonderful Germany have spread.
    Still spreading, everywhere.

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
  • Options
    'Growing backlash'
    The Daily Telegraph reveals Boris Johnson is facing a "growing backlash" from some of his own MPs after announcing the new coronavirus restrictions could last six months.
    At least one minister has reportedly threatened to resign, while up to 50 Conservative MPs are said to be ready to withhold support in a vote to approve the government's lockdown powers.
    The i adds there is resentment from Tories in the south-west of England where infection rates remain low. Many are said to want an exemption from any national lockdown, with the MP for West Dorset concerned his constituents are being "punished" for breaches in
    large towns and cities.

The Times reports that one in three people who are told to isolate by the new coronavirus tracing app in England and Wales will get a "false positive" result.
    The glitch - which mistakenly assumes someone has been within two metres of an infected person for 15 minutes - is because the Bluetooth signal can be affected by surrounding objects.

But in an editorial for the Daily Mirror, the chief executive of NHS Providers, Chris Hopson, says the public should have "some sympathy" for the app's creators because it has been built in a hurry.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-54274514
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    chilling said:

Essexphil said:

Let’s go back to Wuhan.
    They had a total lockdown,with special permission to be even out on the street as law.
    This involved about 11M folks.
    The area was broken up into sectors, with teams set up to visit all dwellings,then each person was firstly tested for a temperature. They were taken out of the communities if they were suspected of being unwell,not just running a temperature.
    Lorry drivers or anyone in a vehicle was also tested.
    Eventually after 3 months, nearly all cases were out of the community and isolated in those hospitals they hastily erected.
    That’s not going to happen anywhere else in the world. Spain came close to that, but as the numbers show below,it made little difference, apart from protecting their hospitals.
    Countries have to live with the virus, cases and deaths up, cases and deaths down.
    There’s no magic bullet.
    The Government,imo, won’t be too bothered about anything other than putting restrictions on areas, which they will reluctantly be forced to do. The economy ticking over is far more important.
    For example, if you followed the news when Boris was ill in hospital, the advisors or his cabinet didn’t show much concern. So that says a lot about being concerned about any individuals of Joe public.
    They can only give advice,that advice is never going to rid the virus.
    As for that particular area with just one case,there’s no smoke without fire, so there’s likely more cases.In fact, I bet if every body got tested on a certain day, you’d likely find 100K plus cases in the U.K. I’d guess the restrictions in that area won’t be followed by everybody anyway.
    Go back to the pub that had that Infra shot of those folks crammed in the beer garden, if you’d asked the landlady or landlord what’s going on, they’d likely say they were too busy pulling pints.
    If these businesses don’t take more responsibility, then they can shoot themselves in the foot,same with their customers.
    I don’t think there’s the remotest possibility of vehicles/ travellers being checked driving from one area to another. I think it would be better for councils to have their own teams running things on their own patch.
    Learning to live with the virus and take more responsibility is the way forward.
    @HAYSIES post, I bet the rich are pi ssed, it’s the levelling down, not up.
    Even the wonderful Germany have spread.
    Still spreading, everywhere.

The point is that the most recent cases break down as follows.

45% Care Homes.
    21% Schools
    18% Workplaces.
    5% Pubs, and Restaurants.
  • Options
  • Options
    Conflict of interest row as it emerges Chief Scientific Officer Sir Patrick Vallance has £600,000 of shares in vaccine maker contracted to make UK's coronavirus jabs

Sir Patrick has already sold more than £5 million in shares he received during his tenure as president of GlaxoSmithKline from 2012 to 2018.

• Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8766199/Four-months-later-planned-mobile-phone-tracing-tool-launched-country.html

NHS Covid-19 app won't work on iPhone 6 or older models: Users expose iOS flaw that stops software downloading on five-year-old mobiles
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
  • Options
    Green shoots? No, Boris Johnson was like a driver lost in fog: HENRY DEEDES watches the Prime Minister's latest gloomy coronavirus briefing

HENRY DEEDES: Yesterday's coronavirus briefing was a strange thing. Once again, Boris resembled a confused driver, lost in the fog, frantically trying to de-mist the windscreen. In the car with him were Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance, still doggedly refusing to entertain doubts about their map-reading skills. In a sign as to how much we've regressed, we were back to starting with death figures. Boris announced there had been a further 71 mortalities since yesterday. What age demographic were these unfortunate victims? How many underlying conditions did they have?

• Options
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
    What's the difference between these two enclosed spaces?

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,593
    You can't go to Vegas in the second one.

Seriously though theatres are really struggling and there must be a way for them to reopen with an element of safety.