You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Covid 19 UK.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,263
    edited November 2020
    madprof said:

deffo last one...

Halloween(sic) was a day when 327 people didn't know that Christmas in 2019 would be their last.
    One thing that is clear tonight is that whatever happens from now on and into the coming weeks and months, is that there is nobody that Boris Johnson can blame for this but himself. This needs to be made absolutely clear.

When the science said, “act” - Boris Johnson responded by saying no.
    When Opposition said, “act” - Boris Johnson responded by saying no.
    When businesses, the unemployed, and people 'Left Behind' in the North said, “support us” - Boris Johnson responded by saying no.

The warnings have been clear from the beginning. He did not act. He has responded now more or less the exact same way as he responded in March – with complacency, with delay, with hubris and with blind conceit, and having learned nothing reveals a lifelong and innate ability to fail to listen when people tell him to do something important.

Then when leadership, when vision and direction is needed the most, it is replaced by a feckless total lack of responsibility, obstinate stupidity and incompetence.
    'If only there had been some warning signs...'
    'When I said that a national lockdown was a terrible idea, what I really meant was...'

Both in his failure to act sooner and in his u-turn in introducing another national lockdown [and make no mistake, that's what this is – not Tier 4, or “tough new national measures] - despite weeks of saying that the Tier system was the best way forward, by having his own kakistocratic, sycophantic fellow incompetent ministers repeat the line, by throwing money continually towards failed private services, by reneging on support for businesses, communities and the most vulnerable sections of society that need support the most only to perform the most violent u-turn by this Government yet in extending the furlough scheme, and by ultimately not following the scientific guidance, Boris Johnson has not only revealed his ineptitude, but also his arrogance and overarching churlishness, of which no pseudo-Churchillian warlike jingoism will ever successfully hide or veil just how much of a vacillating imposter he truly is.

A fraud, above all else – pretending to be leader.

But it's more simple than that, because what Johnson offers us now is too little, and too late. What it reveals is the mentality of an individual who never understood the value of starting something sooner so that he could finish earlier. This is uncharacteristic of managers in less successful professions let alone in the role of Prime Minister.
    And how many lives lost, I wonder. How many preventable deaths. How many more failures to act will we have to endure before the good people of the UK finally wake up and see that this half-baked tragedy of a man – he hasn't done 'a good job all things considered'. He is useless.

"Alas", we will only see this in hindsight. In the days, weeks, months – perhaps even years to come, we will look back at these crucial moments when it could have mattered, and then remember of course that at the time when we needed a leader who actually cared about this country, instead we were led by Happy Meal, quick fix politics of the lowest common denominator, voted on the basis of apathy and unwillingness to think for ourselves, and an unprecedented laziness towards reality, that resulted in a collective nervous breakdown and resulted in the United Kingdom – so called “Great” Britain, electing Boris Johnson.

There exists only one three word slogan that seems appropriate now. It's a simple one as well. Boris has failed.

More damaging though could have been a question that no journalist asked of the Prime Minister. It was a simple one, too.

“Now that you're finally following the science, would you consider yourself a shameless opportunist like Keir Starmer?”

I struggle to comprehend how it happened.

When Theresa May was struggling with Brexit, and her days as PM were clearly numbered, the motto among the majority of Tory MPs when asked about who they favoured to be their next leader was "Anyone But Boris".

It was a thing ABB.

The reason that some of them said this, and many more thought it, was obvious to many of us.

You couldnt fit the reasons why you wouldnt vote for him into one single post.

I dont intend trying, as many of these reasons have been previously discussed.

What changed?

How was it possible for him to become Tory Leader, never mind PM?

Its a mystery to me.

I only hope that he wont be able to fool the Great British public twice.

Having said that, I am not sure how long we will be able to consider ourselves the Great British public, as I think the Union is under serious threat.

Scotland will be the first to leave, followed by Northern Ireland, and Wales will be last.

A no deal Brexit will speed this up, and would be a disaster on top of the pandemic.

Its a bit rich to be criticising businesses for being unprepared, when nobody seems to know what is happening, and we are leaving in a minute.

I feel nothing but contempt for the whole lot of them.

Where is @chilling, he will stick up for them?
  • Options
    Lockdown revolt grows as Oxford scientist says data at press conference was exaggerated

A Tory revolt against Thursday’s lockdown gathered pace today as an Oxford scientist claimed the data produced at Boris Johnson’s weekend press conference was exaggerated and out of date.

Conservative MPs estimate that between 20 and 25 backbenchers could rebel or abstain in tomorrow’s Commons division to approve the four-week lockdown that the Prime Minister said was essential to save the NHS from being overwhelmed.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon added another challenge for Mr Johnson by demanding clarity over his apparent promise to let Scotland continue the furlough scheme after December 2.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/lockdown-revolt-grows-as-oxford-scientist-says-data-at-press-conference-was-exaggerated/ar-BB1aEi1V?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Tedson said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/01/death-scenarios-used-government-justify-second-national-lockdown/?fbclid=IwAR1-scmo44_DMPxsoVObNryobx9adaqyUHDGmq5_SjqyCxAE4g6EPcOe7a4

"At Saturday night's Downing Street press conference, scientists presented graphs suggesting England could see 4,000 daily deaths early next month.

The scenario, from Cambridge University, was used as part of efforts to justify the introduction of sweeping restrictions. But data experts have questioned why the scenario – drawn up three weeks ago – was chosen to illustrate the crisis when the university has produced far more recent forecasts which are significantly lower.

The modelling presented on Saturday is so out of date that it suggests daily deaths are now around 1,000 a day. In fact, the daily average for the last week is 260, with a figure of 162 on Saturday.

The statistics unit at Cambridge has produced more up to date projections with far lower figures, The Telegraph can reveal.

These forecasts, dated October 28 – three days before the Downing Street announcement – far more closely track the current situation, forecasting 240 daily deaths by next week and around 500 later this month."

I find it hard to believe that this is just astonishing negligence on the part of Vallance, Whitty et al. It's like watching the Iraq War 'Dodgy Dossier' being compiled in front of our eyes. Of course not a peep about this from the BBC today.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

deffo last one...

Halloween(sic) was a day when 327 people didn't know that Christmas in 2019 would be their last.
    One thing that is clear tonight is that whatever happens from now on and into the coming weeks and months, is that there is nobody that Boris Johnson can blame for this but himself. This needs to be made absolutely clear.

When the science said, “act” - Boris Johnson responded by saying no.
    When Opposition said, “act” - Boris Johnson responded by saying no.
    When businesses, the unemployed, and people 'Left Behind' in the North said, “support us” - Boris Johnson responded by saying no.

The warnings have been clear from the beginning. He did not act. He has responded now more or less the exact same way as he responded in March – with complacency, with delay, with hubris and with blind conceit, and having learned nothing reveals a lifelong and innate ability to fail to listen when people tell him to do something important.

Then when leadership, when vision and direction is needed the most, it is replaced by a feckless total lack of responsibility, obstinate stupidity and incompetence.
    'If only there had been some warning signs...'
    'When I said that a national lockdown was a terrible idea, what I really meant was...'

Both in his failure to act sooner and in his u-turn in introducing another national lockdown [and make no mistake, that's what this is – not Tier 4, or “tough new national measures] - despite weeks of saying that the Tier system was the best way forward, by having his own kakistocratic, sycophantic fellow incompetent ministers repeat the line, by throwing money continually towards failed private services, by reneging on support for businesses, communities and the most vulnerable sections of society that need support the most only to perform the most violent u-turn by this Government yet in extending the furlough scheme, and by ultimately not following the scientific guidance, Boris Johnson has not only revealed his ineptitude, but also his arrogance and overarching churlishness, of which no pseudo-Churchillian warlike jingoism will ever successfully hide or veil just how much of a vacillating imposter he truly is.

A fraud, above all else – pretending to be leader.

But it's more simple than that, because what Johnson offers us now is too little, and too late. What it reveals is the mentality of an individual who never understood the value of starting something sooner so that he could finish earlier. This is uncharacteristic of managers in less successful professions let alone in the role of Prime Minister.
    And how many lives lost, I wonder. How many preventable deaths. How many more failures to act will we have to endure before the good people of the UK finally wake up and see that this half-baked tragedy of a man – he hasn't done 'a good job all things considered'. He is useless.

"Alas", we will only see this in hindsight. In the days, weeks, months – perhaps even years to come, we will look back at these crucial moments when it could have mattered, and then remember of course that at the time when we needed a leader who actually cared about this country, instead we were led by Happy Meal, quick fix politics of the lowest common denominator, voted on the basis of apathy and unwillingness to think for ourselves, and an unprecedented laziness towards reality, that resulted in a collective nervous breakdown and resulted in the United Kingdom – so called “Great” Britain, electing Boris Johnson.

There exists only one three word slogan that seems appropriate now. It's a simple one as well. Boris has failed.

More damaging though could have been a question that no journalist asked of the Prime Minister. It was a simple one, too.

“Now that you're finally following the science, would you consider yourself a shameless opportunist like Keir Starmer?”

I struggle to comprehend how it happened.

When Theresa May was struggling with Brexit, and her days as PM were clearly numbered, the motto among the majority of Tory MPs when asked about who they favoured to be their next leader was "Anyone But Boris".

It was a thing ABB.

The reason that some of them said this, and many more thought it, was obvious to many of us.

You couldnt fit the reasons why you wouldnt vote for him into one single post.

I dont intend trying, as many of these reasons have been previously discussed.

What changed?

How was it possible for him to become Tory Leader, never mind PM?

Its a mystery to me.

I only hope that he wont be able to fool the Great British public twice.

Having said that, I am not sure how long we will be able to consider ourselves the Great British public, as I think the Union is under serious threat.

Scotland will be the first to leave, followed by Northern Ireland, and Wales will be last.

A no deal Brexit will speed this up, and would be a disaster on top of the pandemic.

Its a bit rich to be criticising businesses for being unprepared, when nobody seems to know what is happening, and we are leaving in a minute.

I feel nothing but contempt for the whole lot of them.

Where is @chilling, he will stick up for them?

• Options
    Are infections ALREADY flattening? UK records 20,018 new Covid cases - 12% FEWER than last Tuesday - but fatalities rise 8% from last week to 397, after Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance were forced to defend their '4,000 deaths a day' dossier

A further 20,018 have tested positive for the coronavirus today (figures,left), bringing the total number of confirmed cases during the pandemic to 1,073,882. The Department of Health figures released today, which mark a 12.5 per cent decrease in the number of cases from last Tuesday, are higher than yesterday's figures when cases reached 18,950. It was also announced that another 395 people have died from the virus (bottom right), bringing the total death toll to 47,250. The figures comes as Boris Johnson (top right) prepares to hold a Commons crunch vote with MPs on the second national lockdown before it comes into force this Thursday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    "Car insurance could be invalid if you drive during lockdown"

"Drivers making non essential journeys could face on-the-spot fines and may not be covered if they crash."

From a story in the Record, Insurance companies tryin to shaft drivers again.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

"Drivers making non essential journeys could face on-the-spot fines and may not be covered if they crash."

Dont suppose they will be refunding premiums though.

Why would you have to pay if you are not covered?
  • Options
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    misterpj said:

Ask @MISTY4ME about Covid in Cornwall... The nurse over egged the situation...yes at times across the South West there were hospitals prepped and ready for Covid patients and like any other planning, there were under utilised.....until now!

I can't stand this govt- pretty much every corrupt decision they have made- however in planning for a 2nd wave, even I agree...they are damned if they do and damned if they don't...plan

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    rabdeniro said:

OR drivers making non essential journeys?

The problem is since Domcumface tested his eyesight with a birthday trip for his wife to Barnard Castle....who decides what is an essential trip?

( for the record-sic- I've been to Cornwall for parent caring duties, viewed a house on the way I want to buy and my wife has gone to the dentist today...that's it)

ps the no of cars/vans on my journey on the M5/A38 suggests the non essential nature of journey's is being largely ignored..apart from no caravans, it was like an August summer change over Saturday !
  • Options
    madprof said:

rabdeniro said:

OR drivers making non essential journeys?

The problem is since Domcumface tested his eyesight with a birthday trip for his wife to Barnard Castle....who decides what is an essential trip?

( for the record-sic- I've been to Cornwall for parent caring duties, viewed a house on the way I want to buy and my wife has gone to the dentist today...that's it)

ps the no of cars/vans on my journey on the M5/A38 suggests the non essential nature of journey's is being largely ignored..apart from no caravans, it was like an August summer change over Saturday !
    PR firm hired by UK vaccine tsar linked to Dominic Cummings’ father-in-law
    Kate Bingham spent more than £670k hiring PR consultants to oversee media
    strategy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/10/pr-firm-hired-by-uk-vaccine-tsar-linked-to-dominic-cummings-father-in-law
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
  • Options
    madprof said:

misterpj said:

Ask @MISTY4ME about Covid in Cornwall... The nurse over egged the situation...yes at times across the South West there were hospitals prepped and ready for Covid patients and like any other planning, there were under utilised.....until now!

I can't stand this govt- pretty much every corrupt decision they have made- however in planning for a 2nd wave, even I agree...they are damned if they do and damned if they don't...plan

'There's a revolution happening': Chaos in No10 as Dominic Cummings 'looks for a way to leave without losing face' as his Vote Leave empire 'starts to fall apart' after Carrie and her squad see off Boris aide Lee Cain in brutal civil war

The heart of government is in chaos after longstanding Boris Johnson aide Lee Cain (top right), a Vote Leave veteran and Cummings loyalist, announced he was resigning despite being touted for promotion to No10 chief of staff. The departure was the culmination of a bitter power struggle inside Mr Johnson's top team, with rival factions battling for supremacy even as the government struggles to tackle the coronavirus crisis. Mr Cummings (middle right) does not want the job himself, but had pushed for his ally to be appointed despite warnings from the PM's fiancée Ms Symonds (centre left) - herself a former Conservative Party head of media - that it would be 'a mistake' given how the campaign against the pandemic had gone so far. She is said to have complained the No10 operation was being run in an 'uncollegiate' way and the PM was not getting 'good advice'. There are also claims that Allegra Stratton (top left), Downing Street's new on-screen press secretary, and senior aide Munira Mirza (bottom left) were against the move. It would have meant the PM's core circle being exclusively male. Mr Cummings turned up to work in No10 as usual this morning despite losing the latest tug of war for the premier's ear, and blanked questions about his own future. But senior Tories said it was clear that Mr Cummings was losing his grip on No10, and would soon be departing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8941997/Dominic-Cummings-Vote-Leave-empire-starts-fall-apart-Carrie-row.html