You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Return of the 'Not Go Busto' Challenge - A Build From £10

Comments

• Options
    JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    I didn't read the first failed blog im afraid, certainly not all of it anyway...

What i see here (and it is proved by the results) is a solid disciplined poker player in front of me.

I almost can't believe that you build up a nice roll and then spew it all away, seems alien to me and forgive me for saying really stupid?!

You MUST read the poker mindset book - one of the major things to take away from it is bank roll management... 30 buy ins minimum for the stake you want to play at.

Because even above, you talk about how the higher stakes are swingier for a bankroll, but in reality they aren't much more swingier - not if you have the bankroll to cope.

They are harder, but not incredibly harder; i've sat on some 22gbp tables this lockdown with 2 regs (one of them being me) and four losing players, with the right bankroll and mental attitude you would easily make money at 5.50, 11 and some of the 22 tables.
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 937
    Jacquelyn said:

I didn't read the first failed blog im afraid, certainly not all of it anyway...

What i see here (and it is proved by the results) is a solid disciplined poker player in front of me.

I almost can't believe that you build up a nice roll and then spew it all away, seems alien to me and forgive me for saying really stupid?!

You MUST read the poker mindset book - one of the major things to take away from it is bank roll management... 30 buy ins minimum for the stake you want to play at.

Because even above, you talk about how the higher stakes are swingier for a bankroll, but in reality they aren't much more swingier - not if you have the bankroll to cope.

They are harder, but not incredibly harder; i've sat on some 22gbp tables this lockdown with 2 regs (one of them being me) and four losing players, with the right bankroll and mental attitude you would easily make money at 5.50, 11 and some of the 22 tables.

I understand what you are saying. It may look like I am a decent, solid disciplined player, and I do agree with that somewhat. However, there's that 10% of me that is the complete opposite. I always start with very good intentions after a deposit - to be that disciplined type of player - and it generally starts okay. But when the bad beats and downward swings come all at once, I just turn into that standard recreational player type who wouldn't really care if my BR busted by having fun playing higher stakes and trying to bink a large score.

I'm not sure if the recent results are a big enough sample to draw any conclusions. I could well be on the best heater ever. But I'd only go as far to say I am an above average player most of the time. Maybe I am just being a tad modest, but if I was a better player than these recent results suggest, I definitely would not be needing to test myself - especially long before now. I guess that bad 10% of me outdoes all the good work of that disciplined 90%.

You are 100% right in that it is totally stupid what happens at times. But some players cope much better to that part of the game. You just need to see how common it is with some players who can suffer badly from tilt/addiction/chasing losses etc. It's a mental thing. I am trying hard to improve that aspect of my game, and this challenge/diary thread certainly seems to be helping a lot. Also once I get round to reading the books you suggested, hopefully it can help further and I can eventually rid that downright silly 10% of my game.

I think I have a fair grasp about BR management, however, when that silly 10% of of my game creeps in, BR management goes right out the window. What I meant about the swings being bigger at higher limits is basically a psychological thing. Losing 10 buyins for example at a the £1 level is only £10. Not a whole lot at quick glace. But losing those 10 buyins at £10 level for example is £100. Even though it is the exact same downswing in terms of buyins, it just feels like it is much worse than it is. Especially when proper BR management has been ignored.

Lastly, in regards to your last point. It is nice to hear that you feel the standard at the levels you play can still be quite profitable, I look forward to a time when/if I can ever actually regularly play those levels with an appropriate BR rather than only when taking shots or during playing in the mindset of that awful 10%.

As always I appreciate your feedback and comments.

Cheers!
  • Options
    DAY 19

Summary, Thoughts & Ramblings

I thought today was going to be a carbon copy of yesterday. Wake, Work, Play 20. Win 15. Lose 5. However, my final games were unlucky and I lost 1 more than yesterday.

Still. I am still very happy at the progress, and it seems I am almost ready to start playing the £3 DYMs now. I was wondering why it passed through the current level so quickly then realised that the £3 level is only 30% more rather than the usual doubling the entry.

Updating the results below, I noticed I have now broken the £100 profit barrier excluding any bonuses. Just one more thing to be positive about. I'm still awaiting the inevitable, prolonged losing streaks.

Daily Results

Played: 20

20*£2.20 DYMs -- Won 14 | Lost 6

Staked: £44
    Winnings: £56
    Profit: £12
    ROI: 27.27%
    ITM: 70%

Overall Progress

Profit: £101.81
    Bonuses: £24.60
    Current Bankroll: £136.41

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    DAY 20

Today I managed to earn over 100 points, earning my first silver ticket for the giveaway. Could it be lucky?

I also cashed again in the rewards freeroll.

Another pleasing aspect was winning the £3 DYM again that I played using the £2.30 Ticket I earned from last week's play. That's 3 from 3 in those.

I may consider adding the £3 DYMs into my play now, as I have now phased out playing £1 and below for the last couple days. So, so far so good.

Also, with the start of the new forum competition, I might start playing some more MTT once my BR breaks £200. Hopefully that can happen before next week.

Daily Results

Played: 65

62*£2.20 DYMs -- Won 38 | Lost 24
    1*£3.30 DYM -- Won 1 | Lost 0 (£2.30 Ticket used)
    £1,000 Rewards Freeroll -- 106/1354 (cash for £2)
    £100 Nightly Micro -- 126/237

Staked: £140.25
    Winnings: £160
    Bonus: £2.30
    Profit: £22.05
    ROI: 15.72%
    ITM: 64.52%

Overall Progress

Profit: £121.56
    Bonuses: £26.90
    Current Bankroll: £158.46

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    DAY 21

Today I started adding the £3 DYMs into my play. These actually seem to fill faster than the £2s. I noticed there's almost always 2 of them spawned in the lobby. I am not sure why that is, but it helped??

No luck in the Nightly Micro again, though I did manage to min-cash in the Rewards Freeroll though.

My last small session was a losing one. Only 1 buyin though. But it's one of very few losing sessions recently. So I decided stop playing a little earlier than normal.

Also, earlier this afternoon I added all the overall progress/stats/graphs into the first reply to this thread. I will still include them in some of the daily update posts, but I will have to experiment with the layout so it doesn't look too clogged.

One more thing I thought of today, is that I generally only post a summary about my play each day. So starting from tomorrow, I will consciously try to remember any specific and interesting hands during my play to share here for some analysis. That way, if any debate or discussion arises it should not only help me, but will possibly improve other players who are reading. Remember too, that I am always happy to answer any questions anyone has. Poker related or not.

Daily Results

Played: 45

17*£2.20 DYMs -- Won 9 | Lost 8
    26*£3.30 DYM -- Won 16 | Lost 10
    £1,000 Rewards Freeroll -- 195/1366 (cashed for £1)
    £100 Nightly Micro -- 98/211

Staked: £123.75
    Winnings: £133
    Profit: £9.25
    ROI: 7.47%
    ITM: 57.78%

Overall Progress

Profit: £130.81
    Current Bankroll: £167.71

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    DAY 22

Had to work, so didn't manage any MTT, and only played DYMs, so not a lot I can say about today, except it went pretty well. The highest daily profit to date since starting. So very pleasing to say the least.

Daily Results

Played: 42

19*£2.20 DYMs -- Won 13 | Lost 6
    23*£3.30 DYM -- Won 15 | Lost 8

Staked: £117.70
    Winnings: £142
    Profit: £24.30
    ROI: 20.65%
    ITM: 66.67%

Overall Progress

Profit: £155.11
    Current Bankroll: £192.01

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 529
    Very impressive results Daz. Seems like your aim of not going bust has been achieved so what are your targets now?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,077

Loving your progress Daz, keep it up.
  • Options
    Cheers guys. the comments are very much appreciated.

I am enjoying my poker more than ever. The profiting sure does help. Fortunately, I have yet to be really tested with any major downswings and for that reason, my primary aim is still not to go bust and/or tilt and to remain as disciplined as I have been. I feel with rambling daily, and all the positive comments in this thread has helped in that regard. It just keeps me focused and motivated. Also, I don't really feel like I have changed my game all that much yet my results have been a lot more positive in recent weeks. So I am still of the belief that I am just on some sort of super long heater. I guess I am just not very confident in my ability (going on past experiences), and perhaps a little naively, still expecting it to all come crashing down at some point.

The good news is, I have now acquired one of the books about the mental aspect of poker that was recommended earlier, so I will try and work my way through that. It may take a while, because I've never really read any books since being at school. So hopefully - and it sounds like it would be a great help - I can finally, once and for all never spew away a poker bankroll again!

As for other aims and goals. Funny you should ask Greg, as I was actually planning on thinking about setting out some some goals today. So I'll have a think and post back in my update this evening.

I think a mixture of simple & difficult and short & longer term goals would be ideal. It will give me something to work through and keep my mind on the job, so to speak.

Please fire away any suggestions for what I could include.

Good luck at the tables

• Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 529
    Normally I set a volume and profit target every month. Been a huge failure this month but usually find it helps.
  • Options
    DAY 23

Today I played a small session before and after dinner. It certainly didn't start too well, but ended up not too drastic. After the terrible start, I thought today was the day that I got my first major downswing. I just could not win any flips, and I kept getting sucked out on the turn or river. It sums it up when in the first hand of a DYM I get dealt AA and raise 4x. BB shoves. He has AKc and the flop is K high with two clubs. Another K on the river. Game over.

I persevered and ended up still winning 50% from the first two sessions before taking a short break, so I was happy with considering the poor start. I am also happy that I didn't let the small run of bad cards get to me - like I would have before - as I think I still played as well as previous days.

I also played the Rewards Freeroll and Nightly Micro. I was actually sat with forum regulars @stokefc and @MAXALLY which was nice as well, but these MTT were rubbish tonight. I just can't seem to get a break in all the Nightly Micros I have played so far.

My final session though went just as well as it could. Won the first 10, and lost 3 out of remaining 8. So ended the day again with a nice profit, and pushing my Bankroll over £200 which is pleasing and confidence boosting. And I decided to stop playing early again, as I was happy with today's results. I also managed to earn 100 points today, and every day since Monday. So I have my fingers crossed for the Golden Ticket draw tomorrow.

Daily Results

Played: 42

13*£2.20 DYMs -- Won 9 | Lost 4
    27*£3.30 DYM -- Won 17 | Lost 10
    £1,000 Rewards Freeroll -- 844/1316
    £100 Nightly Micro -- 114/178

Staked: £118.25
    Winnings: £138
    Profit: £19.75
    ROI: 16.70%
    ITM: 61.9%

Overall Progress

Profit: £174.86
    Current Bankroll: £211.76

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,388
    I have to say you are making this look ridiculously easy, which we know is certainly not the case.

Do you sit with the intention of playing to a set amount of time or is it just how you feel and also if you start to struggle are you more tempted to play on or are you able to just stop playing?
  • Options

I have to say you are making this look ridiculously easy, which we know is certainly not the case.

Do you sit with the intention of playing to a set amount of time or is it just how you feel and also if you start to struggle are you more tempted to play on or are you able to just stop playing?

Cheers for the comment and questions.

I'm still only putting down my progress as a result of positive variance. The run bads have seemed to be few and far between since starting this challenge. I may be underestimating my ability though as I feel nothing has changed in that regard, and I have busted bankroll after bankroll after bankroll over the years. We'll soon find out if and when I reach the heady heights of the £5 and £11 and possibly higher if I can maintain a steady profit. That's when I'll be tested more when I see my bankroll jumping down more (in monetary value at least). To counteract that, I'm going to try and continue thinking in terms of buyins. So a 10 buyin swing is the same regardless of the level.

Unless there is reason to play a set amount, such as the current Golden Ticket Giveaway to earn a points target, I don't generally plan to play for a set amount of time. Usually when I know I have a spare hour or two I'll just open up the tables as quickly as they fill.

Then if;

1) The cards seem to be running bad, there really is no rule for me. Although, in the past, I could quite easily go on severe tilt. However, since starting this challenge, I have sometimes just played on if I felt my play was unaffected, but as soon as I feel I am making silly mistakes and not on my A-Game I've just stopped playing. Even if it was just for a half hour break (could call it a smoker's break for a non-smoker :D ). Or for the first time in my life, willingly moved down in limits, to slow the downward spiral. So far, these techniques have helped me stay just about as disciplined [poker-wise] as I have ever been.

2) The cards are running well, and I have no reason to stop, I tend to just play on until I feel like stopping or when the tables are taking a while to fill or number 1 above happens. I generally can play no bother for 2 or 3 hours, then I can sometimes start to feel drained. This is when I am multi-tabling 6-10 tables for the majority of the time. If need be I could last much longer playing fewer tables, such as MTTs or whatever.

For now though, I am really enjoying playing, which makes all the difference. But that's mainly down to managing to actually earn a steady profit for once. I am hopeful it can continue for a while yet.

Good luck at the tables!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,077
    edited May 2020
    Morning Dazzy @thedazzman

"Unless there is reason to play a set amount, such as the current Golden Ticket Giveaway to earn a points target"

Don't forget this starts on Monday; (click to open)

Escalating Freerolls

Fairly sure you would earn enough points at your current run-rate to be able to enter all 7.
  • Options
    Cheers @Tikay10 for the reminder.

I won't be able to play the Wednesday or Friday ones, however, I am planning on playing the others. I should be able to earn enough points for those.

Hopefully a few forum regulars can run deep in some throughout the month.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    It was an honour to be on the same table as you and I suppose it was the same for you being on the same table as me , not so for @MAXALLY tho 😉
    Gl buddy
  • Options
    stokefc said:

It was an honour to be on the same table as you and I suppose it was the same for you being on the same table as me , not so for @MAXALLY tho 😉
    Gl buddy

Oops. I just noticed who bubbled. That's always unlucky and a bit sickening. Even if it was for pennies. Not to mention the points for the competition youse are all having.

Although, I've only been active on this forum for a couple weeks, I always like to see a familiar face or two at my table. I'm planning on playing a few more MTTs in the coming weeks, so perhaps I'll play again with you soon.

Good luck at the tables!
  • Options
    DAY 24

As some of you may have noticed, I did not play at all yesterday. And today I only managed to play some in the evening. It started quite well, losing the first one, then winning the next 7. It was pretty much poor after that. Just could not get any momentum going. And probably the worst day to date.

I'm looking at the positives. My BR is still over £200. Just. And I've earned over 500 points this week, so will be seeing a bigger reward on Monday.

Daily Results

Played: 35

4*£2.20 DYMs -- Won 4 | Lost 0
    31*£3.30 DYM -- Won 14 | Lost 17

Staked: £111.10
    Winnings: £100
    Profit: £-11.10
    ROI: -9.99%
    ITM: 51.43%

Overall Progress

Profit: £163.76
    Current Bankroll: £200.66

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    Just a quick update. I did not play again yesterday, however, I did lay out a proposed plan for some goals/aims and also a fairly basic BR management guide.

Having the BR Management guide set out which I can easily refer to, will hopefully help me to rigorously follow it and prevent from busting my bankroll again.

Also, with some goals to aim for, it should motivate me a bit more if I can see not only progress relating to my bankroll increasing, but also by seeing progress made in other areas. Having goals and aims to reach is definitely a positive thing I feel.

Here is what I have come up with. And I am open to any feedback, and welcome any other suggestions.

BR Management

General Goals

SNG Goals

MTT Goals

Cheers!
  • Options
    DAY 25

It seems my dry spell is continuing. Just seem I am running pretty terribly. But still not actually going on a downward trend and just kinda breaking even or being down slightly over the last couple of days.

Even though I have only played a few MTTs since starting this challenge, my luck in them has been awful. I was sat with fellow forum blogger @gr0wapear in the Escalating Freeroll this evening. He doubled in the first hand and then again soon after. I did build a decent stack, but that was gone in about 3 hands against the same player after they came from miles behind both times. I'm saving my run good for the bigger prizes - or so I'm hoping :D

One last thing, I received £5.57 cash loyalty bonus from last week's play

So on to the results for today

Daily Results

Played: 47

44*£3.30 DYM -- Won 25 | Lost 19
    £1,000 Rewards Freeroll -- 1150/1273
    £100 Nightly Micro -- 123/201
    £500 Escalating Freeroll - 25 pts -- 155/306

Staked: £149.05
    Winnings: £150
    Profit: £0.95
    ROI: 0.64%